• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm done! Now what?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
So this can go for either writing or reading. After you finish a good story, there's a weird feeling that takes quite a while to get over, the length of time depends on how good the story was. So, what do you guys do when you encounter this and how does it make you feel?

I just finished The Green Mile by Stephen King, and now I'm not exactly sure what to do with my life. I'm exhausted after going through that gauntlet. I want to sleep, but I'm not tired yet, and it's no where near late enough. I'm emotionally drained, and now begins the recovery process where I take a breather before jumping into the next book I'll be reading.

As far as writing goes, I don't think I've ever felt this. Well, I've only finished one big story, but maybe it's also because writing is never really done. I still think about the characters, and what I could do when I eventually go back to rewrite it. The mind of a writer never rests, after all.

Bay

Years
The last time I felt this when finishing a book is the Song of Ice and Fire series. When I finished the fifth book a couple years ago I was like, "give me the sixth book now!" XD

I've finished quite a few chaptered fics, though most of them are in the 30K to 40K word range (Nothing, Everything being my longest one back a few years ago). Whenever that happens, . I feel both accomplished and sad. I get excited when I finally get a longer story finished, but at the same time sad I won't get to work on it much anymore unless I decide to make some changes. Similar to what Nolafus mentioned, sometimes I start thinking if there are some parts I want to rewrite either minor, like sentence structure, or something bigger like change the execution of some scenes. Most of the time, though, if I finished a work I leave it be as my mind tends to want to focus on something new.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro had a pretty depressing plot, and the ending came fast and hard so that was something that left me reeling a bit when I finished it. I also feel a sense of not knowing what to do with myself after I finish the last book to a lengthy series, like I read the entirety of the Artemis Fowl series (never read it as a kid, sue me) in a few months, so I became pretty invested in it and then it just ended. It's almost like a relationship ending for me, I'm not quite ready to jump back into the dating (or reading, in this case) game after I've invested so much into that series. I need a little recovery time, at least. :(

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
I usually start hunting for more content to consume prior to finishing a series (whatever medium it may be).

For writing or creating content, I usually have a backlog of a bunch of ideas I feel are worth exploring. So after completing (or giving up) a project, I just browse through my list and select another one to attempt.

Back