Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation
Reload this Page Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

View Poll Results: Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?
Growlithe 4 44.44%
Abra 6 66.67%
Machop 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 15th, 2015 (04:37 PM).
The Mega Fire Pig Pokemon
Team Unova

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Pendraflare:
Hm, so I was watching a certain YouTuber's Red Randomizer playthrough, and when his Arcanine killed something with a physical attack, the next Pokémon out was Hitmonlee. Then the LP'er healed, but Hitmonlee used Counter, which worked and killed the Arcanine. He even questioned what was going on, since Counter should have failed on a turn that he healed.
This is what Bulbapedia says on Counter in Gen I:

Quote originally posted by Bulbapedia:
If the last amount of damage done before the use of Counter is greater than 0 and was dealt by a Normal-type or Fighting-type attack (except Counter), Counter will do twice as much damage to the opponent.
Hope this helps.

"Boo! Boo, I say!"
AMA
Old April 16th, 2015 (03:33 AM).
Team Hoenn

Hey guys, I'm looking for everyone's opinions on who I should raise as my second pokemon besides my starter Pokemon in my Crystal run. I chose cyndaquil as my starter. Leave your comments on who and why. I appreciate the feedback.
Old April 16th, 2015 (04:59 AM).
Master of the Elements
Team Sinnoh
Crystal Tier

Nature: Naughty
Well Growlithe shares the same typing as Typhlosion and performs similarly so I'd count him out. You want variety on your team after all! Of the three Abra is an absolute monster so I'd go with it! Johto is full of Poison types thanks to Team Rocket so Machop struggles through those parts. He does help you with Pryce though. I suggest raising them both! :)

Kamex - Drill - Sleeper
Old April 16th, 2015 (10:34 AM).
Team Johto
ModeratorBSCSEO

Nature: Modest
I agree with Luke! Abra is definitely the best of the three and can function as a Kadabra throughout the game without the need to evolve into Alakazam. Machoke might fall off if you are unable to trade and evolve him. If you have a second GBA/someone to help you evolve though then you shouldn't have any issues! good luck [:
Old April 16th, 2015 (07:44 PM).
I'm pineapple. Don't judge me.
Team Johto
ModeratorCS

Nature: Naughty
Have to agree with the other two. Choosing Cyndaquil makes Growlithe useless, and then later in the game Machoke is pretty much useless and you'd be better off using one of the hitmon trio whereas Kadabra is actually still pretty decent without needing to be evolved.
FC&G
Final Fantasy, Tabletop Gaming, Kingdom Hearts
MAL
Dreams of a Peasant & Tales and Lore
Old April 17th, 2015 (03:48 AM).
Team Kalos

If you're looking for "the best," the answer is Abra and it isn't even close. In game, the answer is basically always Abra, to the point of being annoying. RBY? Catch it after Misty and own. GSC? Catch it around Goldenrod and demolish. Ruby/ Sapphire/Emerald? Available shortly before the fighting gym - also pick one up for an easy play through. FR/LG? Remakes of RBY so...duh. The trend even continues in 4th gen and doesn't pause until Black/White because you know...you can't catch it. G/S/C only amplifies Abra's absurd OP-ness by making it purchasable at the game corner AND selling all three elemental punches at the department store (they were still special moves back then), thus negating the biggest downside (training when it only knows Teleport) AND providing crazy good attack coverage for a pokemon with good enough in game special attack to not even need that coverage. /endrant
Old April 17th, 2015 (08:54 AM).
Team Unova

Nature: Timid
Hey everyone. For those who have completed their Unown Dex in Crystal, how do I go about getting it in alphabetical order? I read on Bulbapedia that it is suppose to happen automatically... It's driving me crazy to have them in the order I caught them instead. The scientist even recognizes that I caught all 26 so I know I'm not missing any.
Old May 1st, 2015 (10:10 PM).
give me the words
Team Kalos
ModeratorCS

Nature: Mild
Just going to merge this into the Help Thread!
Old May 5th, 2015 (02:31 PM).
What? Don't stare me always!
Team Johto

Nature: Quirky
Hi, I just started playing Crystal and I got an experience share. But is it consumable? Or can I use it multiple times? I've looked it up, but no site gives clear information. If I can only use it once, I don't want to use it.
Old May 5th, 2015 (03:49 PM).
Champion of Demacia League
Team Kalos

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Hi, I just started playing Crystal and I got an experience share. But is it consumable? Or can I use it multiple times? I've looked it up, but no site gives clear information. If I can only use it once, I don't want to use it.
Its a held item that stays with the pokemon that holds it. So you won't consume it

Coming as soon as i learn how to basic:

On reduced activity. Thesisssssss -w-
Old 1 Week Ago (07:13 AM).
Team Hoenn
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
I have pretty much no experience with trading in gen I and II, so this is going to be a dumb question, I'm sure. If I have a Japanese Crystal and Green, they'll be able to trade together right? As long as they're both the same language, they shouldn't wig out and crash the game? And I know there's that Time Capsule thing I have to unlock in Crystal first, so I know I can't test it for some time.

Conversely, if I trade between a French and English Silver, since they both use the alphabet, they should be fine to trade and won't crash the game, correct?

paired to klippy
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links