• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Spiky's DS Map Editor (NOW OPEN-SOURCE)

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
A starter editor wouldn't be hard to add, but I think that it wouldn't make very much sense in a tool like SDSME. However, maybe in the future I will make other small tools for things like that. If I have enough time, I will also try to write some basic documents on how to use SDSME, because the tutorials available don't cover everything and are outdated.

SDSME 1.9.0 will introduce a (once again) redesigned tileset editor, but that this time it will actually EDIT things. You'll be able to edit palettes and textures without MKDS, and also change some interesting settings that weren't previously available anywhere (transparency and texture flipping). Here's what it looks like (not finished, there are lots of features to add yet):

ismh.png

Trifindo

POKEMON OMICRON CREATOR
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
A starter editor wouldn't be hard to add, but I think that it wouldn't make very much sense in a tool like SDSME. However, maybe in the future I will make other small tools for things like that. If I have enough time, I will also try to write some basic documents on how to use SDSME, because the tutorials available don't cover everything and are outdated.

SDSME 1.9.0 will introduce a (once again) redesigned tileset editor, but that this time it will actually EDIT things. You'll be able to edit palettes and textures without MKDS, and also change some interesting settings that weren't previously available anywhere (transparency and texture flipping). Here's what it looks like (not finished, there are lots of features to add yet):

ismh.png

Thanks a lot Spiky it will make things easier! ;)
Are we going to be able to edit buildings 3d model in 1.9.0 version?
Please continue with this awesome project. :D

VERGUNDAI

RomHacker, Unity 3D Maker
Years
It would be awesome if the 3d modelling was possible, but the time it would take to develop a program would take a while. I'm looking at the 4th gen tools, plus the mkds editor, there is a possibility that one can put them all into one tool. Just like a ToolBox or something....

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
It would be awesome if the 3d modelling was possible, but the time it would take to develop a program would take a while. I'm looking at the 4th gen tools, plus the mkds editor, there is a possibility that one can put them all into one tool. Just like a ToolBox or something....

My best solution to 3D modeling to importing into the game would be using Autodesk 3ds Max 2010 plugin which comes with the 2010 Nitro SDK, which will be coming to a torrent site near you. ;)

That would make things a lot more easier to importing models into SDSME or even editing models in Autodesk 3ds Max 2010. But once I upload it online, I won't be able to post the link here since it's against the rules of the forum to do so. So Google will be your best friend for it. ;)

Even so, it would be nice to see a tool that could edit NSBMD, but expect some bugs if it is released though, which would eventually be fixed upon being discovered. ^^

Hacker Bisharp

Bug reporter
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 28, 2019

ismh.png
This seems a wonderful addition, keep it up!

Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2014

Such a good tool, I was wondering as the thread is now closed. Are you still working on dark diamond at all?

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Such a good tool, I was wondering as the thread is now closed. Are you still working on dark diamond at all?

To be honest, I haven't touched DarkDiamond at all since I begun working on SDSME last year. I would like to finish it or at least fix the bugs, but it will be hard for that to happen because I don't have enough time to work on everything. I know there's plenty of time now in the summer, but I have other personal projects such as studying Kanji or writing a book that combined with SDSME fill my time.

I began Pokémon DarkDiamond with the word "innovation" in mind. NDS hacking was pretty much unknown at the time, specially mapping, so I tried to make a hack that proved that everything was possible on NDS too. You could say I wanted to impress and try to motivate people to begin experimenting on NDS. However, I had to do most of the work by hex, and that rather limited the hack. I was able to control what I wanted, but it took days of work to do simple things. I had always dreamt of a tool with map support, and it was the time of DS Map Graphics Editor and NPRE, but what I was doing by hex couldn't be done with them. So I thought: I could try myself!

Thanks to my amazing friend Arc, who taught me C# programming, I was able to create Pokémon Gen IV Map Converter. It was very basic, but hours were reduced to minutes with it. People became interested in it, and soon people were asking about section editors. I started them, but I felt like that tool wasn't big enough for them. So I thought in other ways to edit, and SDSME was born.

In conclusion, I know there are many people who are very interested in Pokémon DarkDiamond, but it doesn't make sense anymore. Pokémon DarkDiamond showed what was possible with NDS hacking, but it was nothing but a showcase. You just play it. With SDSME you can create, which is what really interests people and makes hacking alive. I hope you understand.

Sorry if this post became too long, I just felt like everything needed a proper explanation :)

Years
  • Seen May 25, 2014
Is their a tutorial on how to use this, especially the wild pokemon editor? Also, the header data? I'm a bit of a noob...

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2013
so, i have NO idea how this works. please upload the tutorial as soon as possible, i cant even replace one tile, thats how afwul i am at hacking

VERGUNDAI

Years
so, i have NO idea how this works. please upload the tutorial as soon as possible, i cant even replace one tile, thats how afwul i am at hacking

You need a 3D Program to edit the map. But first when you have to export the 3D Models in obj format.
Trfindo De Voltage have a tutorial on his Youtube channel, and if I remember, he has a tutorial on here too. It's called Pokemon Diamond Map Editing or something.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2014
I love your program.
I played around a bit with it. I hope there will be for example a remake of Flora Sky or smth. like that, that would be cool. I am noticing that I start every sentence with 'I', that sucks lol.

Arctic Eagle

Lone Bird
Years
Um, I started up the program and loaded a Pokemon Black rom and it started loading and it froze up and I had to force close to do any thing.

What can I do to prevent this from happening?
I really want to edit Pokemon Black.

VERGUNDAI

Years
I love your program.
I played around a bit with it. I hope there will be for example a remake of Flora Sky or smth. like that, that would be cool. I am noticing that I start every sentence with 'I', that sucks lol.

It would be nice to see some romhack remakes in 3D. I believe someone is already testing a Pokemon Lightplatinum remake.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2022
I am having a problem, I am not sure if it because i made a mistake or what, but basically i added new areas to matrix 0 and have a warp script to warp me in and out of the new map, but if i save my game in the new map and start it up again it seems like the game is not loading the map header.

here is example video.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQE_paZjBE

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
I am having a problem, I am not sure if it because i made a mistake or what, but basically i added new areas to matrix 0 and have a warp script to warp me in and out of the new map, but if i save my game in the new map and start it up again it seems like the game is not loading the map header.

here is example video.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQE_paZjBE

That's strange, it should be working. I have B2W2 scripts unfinished but once I finished them I will take a look at the warping commands. If you added both the header and the map in the matrix there shouldn't be any problem, which is why the game works fine when warping. But I guess it checks something else when loading the game, the game doesn't find it for the new map and doesn't load the header. I wonder what it is...

Kaphotics

♥ Quick Claw Guillotine ♥
Years
  • Seen Oct 29, 2018
It might just be whatever warp command that was used ~ there's multiple ones. If I had to guess, that particular warp command might not do mapchanging completely... maybe the command Magius used for tempwarps like Memory Link Flashbacks.

If you were to warp (with the same command used) to an unedited map instead, does this problem still happen?

(also might want to see what matrix is loaded when you reboot too :P)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2022
Here is the script, it works find if I port to a already used map. and my map works find if I give it an already used header. it just not liking headers > 614 even if i clone another header to it it still fails to load it.
Code:
2E 00                                            //LockAll;
AB 00 3F 00 00 00                           //PlayCry, Pokemon 63, Forme 0;
AC 01                                           //FadeToBlack;
AC 00                                           //WaitCry;
C4 00 67 02 21 00 00 00 20 00 02 00 //WarpMapXZYF, Map 615, X 33, Z 0, Y 32, Face 2;
AB 01                                           //FadeFromBlack;
2F 00                                           //UnlockAll;
02 00                                           //End;

zdXow_zpsb2e47d3f.png

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2019
Here is the script, it works find if I port to a already used map. and my map works find if I give it an already used header. it just not liking headers > 614 even if i clone another header to it it still fails to load it.
Code:
2E 00                                            //LockAll;
AB 00 3F 00 00 00                           //PlayCry, Pokemon 63, Forme 0;
AC 01                                           //FadeToBlack;
AC 00                                           //WaitCry;
C4 00 67 02 21 00 00 00 20 00 02 00 //WarpMapXZYF, Map 615, X 33, Z 0, Y 32, Face 2;
AB 01                                           //FadeFromBlack;
2F 00                                           //UnlockAll;
02 00                                           //End;
zdXow_zpsb2e47d3f.png

could you send me a patch that will produce this same issue? ideally in white 2. i'd like to poke at it a little bit. e: also, what does "doesn't like it" mean exactly?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2022
http://www.mediafire.com/?3jxl2xd4alwe2w4

I get almost the same effect if i load the save in a clean rom, minus the existence of the actual map.
I am thinking the game was design to not attempt to load map headers over 614 since there was only 614 available. i would guess cause they expect save editing would happen and didn't want any unwanted result of the game trying to load a map header that didn't exist.

cleanrom_zpsf88d7a0c.png

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
http://www.mediafire.com/?3jxl2xd4alwe2w4

I get almost the same effect if i load the save in a clean rom, minus the existence of the actual map.
I am thinking the game was design to not attempt to load map headers over 614 since there was only 614 available. i would guess cause they expect save editing would happen and didn't want any unwanted result of the game trying to load a map header that didn't exist.

cleanrom_zpsf88d7a0c.png

That means there's a value in a binary file somewhere in the game that controls the header number. I thought Gen V headers would be easy to expand, but it looks like we have the same problem we had in Gen IV. If I ever find that value, I will make sure SDSME edits it when adding and removing headers.

EDIT: I've spend the whole day looking for the bytes that control that with no luck. The function that loads the header data is in the arm9.bin, and I have found the file loading code, but there's no reference to the amount of headers available. I have also frozen values in the RAM while playing the game and tried to reset to check if I had managed to edit the value, but couldn't find anything either. Until the bytes are found, I have disabled the two buttons in the Gen V header editor in SDSME.

Last edited:
Back