• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
Name: Route 1
Game: FR
Comments: A simple route at the beginning of the game. ignore the tree shading errors, i've fixed them. :3
Spoiler:

Map's not bad, Flowers could use some editing in the colour department, they're eye straining. more contrast would do it good.
The trees on the left side of the map could be rounded off, Tried writing a diagram. (lines are trees)

|
|
|----
|
|
should be more like
|
|-
|-----
|--
|

The pathway along the upper right side of the map should be wider(?) Try not making any pathways just one step wide. Also, the tree stump should be moved away from the ledge, so people can't jump onto it and probably get stuck. Same applies to the sign under the ledge on the right.

5/10- can be bumbed to a ~7 with modifications.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
As you said, it seems pretty empty. Try adding more trees, fences, bush, decoration, etc.
you're using the wrong ledge tile near the cave, and you have quite a few tree shading errors.
the mountain with waterfalls looks a bit square too. you've got tile errors at the back of the GYM and the rock in the middle of the water below the cave.

on the bright side, it seems to be a pretty good map for a beginner. the only main problem I see with it is that it's a bit too empty. :D
--------------------------------------------------------
Comments: A simple route at the beginning of the game. ignore the tree shading errors, i've fixed them. :3
Spoiler:

5.5/10 :/
There's far to many flowers maybe it's coz there yellow and more notable but also there isnt enough tall grass to make it a proper route.
The player could probally get through their with no battle at all.

Starchomp

Avid Gambler
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 24, 2014
Rating: 7 out of 10
Reason: Given that this is an early map, I have to say you've done some decent work. The overall layout is well done, but I would change a few things. Try making the coast of the water a bit more rounded (espically if you're going for a natural feel). The waterfalls look nice, but the small pool in the middle seems a little off to me. Perhaps, If you're looking to make the middle water fall look further back Try setting up the tiles like:
...... ______
____|........|_____ (dots are there to keep it shaped properly)

To try and fill up the map a bit more, I would use the smaller trees (lightly; maybe 5-8 at most). And maybe some more fences (along part of the border of the town, or some of the path way.) I'd also suggest a few more rocks in the water.
Don't be afraid of using the detail blocks (fencing, flowers, bushes, etc.), But don't clog the map up to the point you can't get around. I try to cover about 10% of my open space with details in towns and cities, 20% for average routes and 30% for rugged wild areas. Try to use the details to explain what your area is like (less yet orderly for more urban areas, and more naturally and randomly placed for more Rural areas, more rocks in mountains, and more flowers in Fields.)

I do have to tell you of the shading errors, and also you have the wrong tile on the left corner of the base of the left waterfall.

(I hope I wan't too harsh sounding, and I apologize if I was)

Well, Here's my Map:

Game: personal Project of mine
ROM: Fire Red
Comments: Route Four wraps around the base of a large mountain, you can walk the low road around across the lakes, or the high road on the side of the mountain. (warning it's a large map)
Map
Spoiler:

Wow, that is a big map...

OK, first of all, you seem to have one-tile puddles all over the map and it looks just plain weird. There also are quite a few tree shading errors. But really other than that the map looks excellent
10/10 good job!

Map name: _____ Town
Map game: Pokemon _________ Version
Rom: Fire Red
Credits: Mitchel1, Alistair, Kyledove

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
Wow, that is a big map...

OK, first of all, you seem to have one-tile puddles all over the map and it looks just plain weird. There also are quite a few tree shading errors. But really other than that the map looks excellent
10/10 good job!

Map name: _____ Town
Map game: Pokemon _________ Version
Rom: Fire Red
Credits: Mitchel1, Alistair, Kyledove

well i have to say i like this map it looks very well done
it seems as you may have some border errors but i dont think they will be vissible for the player i like the natural style of the trees and usage of the plants 10\10

my map
name map 1
game .... no name
just to test
Spoiler:

feel free to comment critise and all

Years
Spoiler:

Rate :7/10
Reviewed Map: Look very good for Route 101.... But for a route with trainers with pokemon level 20-100 it is very small and empty.

Flowers: There are a smallnumber of yello flowers and they never are few together. So change the pallete color if you can and make the blue or red or another color.
Logs: Those logs are not well placed. Well take a look at the photo adove so you may understand what i want to ay to you.....
Spoiler:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Name: Radien City

Map Game: Pokemon Ruby (Time Traveler)

Comments: A new city with new houses a raido station. (Rightthe entrance to Team Tim HQ)

Spoiler:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
Reviewed Map: Look very good for Route 101.... But for a route with trainers with pokemon level 20-100 it is very small and empty.

Flowers: There are a smallnumber of yello flowers and they never are few together. So change the pallete color if you can and make the blue or red or another color.
Logs: Those logs are not well placed. Well take a look at the photo adove so you may understand what i want to ay to you.....
Spoiler:

Comments: A new city with new houses a raido station. (Rightthe entrance to Team Tim HQ)

Spoiler:

ohk firrst off i have to say i dont like the way you mixed the grass palletes stick with one pallete or use a pathway... its very big and open i see many tile errors for example the staits going on the side have errors the radio stations one bit looks light ping you may want to make it blend i more ... and the trees well the trees arnt that bad but just dont fit in..

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

4/10
It's really bad coloring and tiles IMO... If you redo the pallets and tiles it might be good. I also looks kinda dull and boring, but you got the basics and at least attempted editing tiles.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 11, 2020
mapname: route 2
rom: pokemon dark legacy
style: mine
Spoiler:

if you think my maps and style suck im sorry.. but i will never be able to make you happy.. ok my maps are my maps but i will try to improve but i will need your help

I love the tiles and palette here, and the route itself looks pretty good. However, I've gotta say...it's a blatant Route 102 edit. I'm sorry, but it had to be said. I'm afraid I'll have to give this a 3/10. It's not an eyesore, but it's a blatant edit.

Now for my map:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61085&stc=1&d=1310165243
It's a forest I made for a now-defunct hack for my old hacking team. I'd say it's one of my most natural looking works, as most of my maps are GF-style.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years
I love the tiles and palette here, and the route itself looks pretty good. However, I've gotta say...it's a blatant Route 102 edit. I'm sorry, but it had to be said. I'm afraid I'll have to give this a 3/10. It's not an eyesore, but it's a blatant edit.

Now for my map:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61085&stc=1&d=1310165243
It's a forest I made for a now-defunct hack for my old hacking team. I'd say it's one of my most natural looking works, as most of my maps are GF-style.

It probably looks good in game, but from the whole map it's ver monochrome. Too light green. Also, very straightforward. And the normal tiles are placed wierd. Nice idea though, but not a quality map IMO
4/10

RedFan

Master Trainer
Years

The map has to much flowers on some parts.You've got some places where the player is forced to walk on only one tile, not that its a major error but you should avoid it.Beside that i like your map it's big and it's got more than one path.My rating is 7.5/10 (don't take this review seriously, i'm really bad at this xD)

Now my map:
Credits:NETI for his rombase.
Game:FireRed Frozen Rombase
Map name:No Name
Additional Comments:Well i haven't made a map for a year now so i decided make one fast so it's probably gonna be weird.

Spoiler:

ruup20

Gonna splash everybody!
Years
Rated Map:
The map has to much flowers on some parts.You've got some places where the player is forced to walk on only one tile, not that its a major error but you should avoid it.Beside that i like your map it's big and it's got more than one path.My rating is 7.5/10 (don't take this review seriously, i'm really bad at this xD)

Now my map:
Credits:NETI for his rombase.
Game:FireRed Frozen Rombase
Map name:No Name
Additional Comments:Well i haven't made a map for a year now so i decided make one fast so it's probably gonna be weird.

Spoiler:

Rating: 8.5
Reason: A really nice map, maybe a more natural style, like less straigt cliffs. And a tile error in the right corner
Suggestions: like I said less straight cliffs or less blocky grass

And this is mine:
Map Name: Platinum Town
Map Game: Pokemon Ruby
Comments: The first town in my hack, credits to Wesley FG, Alistar and Red-Ex
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sabotage

fly free with me
Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2012
Rated Map:
The tiles on this map are good, I like the houses and path best. However, more importantly, there is way too much empty space, and humans generally build buildings in straight lines. This just looks random and stretched out.
Rating: 5/10

Last edited:
Years
And this is mine:
The map's structure is not bad, but it looks unfinished because of the empty space. You could fill it with more trees, for example, or with flowers and other decoration tiles ;) 5/10

Map Name: n/a
Map Game: Fire Red
Comments: This map brought me the win in a mapping contest on a German ROM hacking board ^^
Mapshot: See attachment below, since I don't have enough posts to post URLs :x

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
Comments: This map brought me the win in a mapping contest on a German ROM hacking board ^^
I'm seeing why u won it:)
this mapp look very very very very very good:) it have an amazing structure.
At some parts u used one tile paths try avoiding those a little more because it hinders the movement of the player , otherwise really great map:)

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Rated Map:
And this is mine:
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
It's a bit too empty. There isn't any decoration other than rocks. try adding flowers, fences, small trees. there's not really that much to say about it. nice tiles though. 5.5/10
---------------------------------
Name: Cobalt City
Comments: the second city in the game. I made this in 30 minutes, so there are probably some tree shading errors. D:
Spoiler:

ruup20

Gonna splash everybody!
Years
Comments: the second city in the game. I made this in 30 minutes, so there are probably some tree shading errors. D:
Spoiler:

Rating: 8.7/10
Reason:A shading error in the middle, But it's a very nice map but there is maybe room for a house in the left.
Suggestions: Fix the shading error and fill some empty space It's a good map!

Comments: Sorry that I post tis map so many times this time did it better and replaced the houses. And the blue things on top right are berries

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
Rating: 8.7/10
Reason:A shading error in the middle, But it's a very nice map but there is maybe room for a house in the left.
Suggestions: Fix the shading error and fill some empty space It's a good map!

Comments: Sorry that I post tis map so many times this time did it better and replaced the houses. And the blue things on top right are berries
the map is still really empty:\
some houses have black shadows and the trees don't match with each other why didnt u try to use the same pall for the tlittle trre as for the bigger tree's??
and those houses have shadows the PC don't have one , and the green houses are outstanding they don;t use the same (or similar)style as the trees and wont match or wont't have a harmony in a map .
when u insert tiles try using tiles whihc match more with each other.
But well ur mapping how it seems have improved a bit but that lake(pond)is still too square try removing those shadows and using maybe another tree tile or another hosue tile and the map will look better.
rating 6/10

RedFan

Master Trainer
Years

Interesting map, a little empty, you should fill upthe lake , but, this is a lot better then the first version.
Rating:7/10

Now my Map
Map Name: Crysel Town
Map Game: My new hack, base FireRed
Comments: IT's a town i just made and decided to make a hack but i think it won't end up good xD

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Now my Map
Comments: IT's a town i just made and decided to make a hack but i think it won't end up good xD

Spoiler:
Overall, it's a good map. You've managed to pull of the Pokemon style pretty good, although I'd remove the random tiles behind the gym.
Also, you've placed a sign on a tree instead of in front of it. I'd also suggest remove the tall grass behind the most south sign.

6/10

Last edited:

RedFan

Master Trainer
Years
Spoiler:
Review:So my 3rd review of this map:( i Think its interesting a bit empty, i dont like the yellow flowers and for 30mins its good :D
RATING:7/10

Now my Map

Spoiler:

@P-Sign i didn't delete the random tiles cuz i 'm gonna insert some pokemon OW's

Now the second version of the map.With the review you could tell me which one's better xD
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back