• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Royal Blue Ocean [Water Type Pokemon Club]

Drawing Contest Theme!

• Total voters

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Hopefully you can get it all done before White 2 comes out here in the West.
Ah I hope so too. Sadly I don't have that much time to play, but there's still a couple of months until I can get White 2, so fingers crossed!

Mentalii

Back
Years
Hi, Hi! Feraligatr fan, huh? I can't say anything as for the performance of him in battle because I have never played the 2nd generation games, but I don't like his appearance unfortunately. :< He is the only starter I don't like the looks of. But if it was your first Pokemon, I can see why you have an attachment to him <3. Are there any other reasons you like the Feraligatr Evolution line?

Eh eh, its appearance is kinda special, that's true :P It looks scaring. I mean, this is precisely the kind of Pokémon that, if existed irl could be really dangerous for humans and else. When I was younger this is what I loved with it, I felt protected with such a beast. In its evolution line, I don't particularly like Croconaw tbh, but I'm fond of Totodile. It's so cute, even with all its sharped little teeth.

What are some of your favorite water type moves and why?

I love Waterfall, it's a very useful move. As I mainly use water Pokémons that are better at Attack than at Special Attack, this move is more interesting than Surf for example. It's not the most powerful water move, but at least it's accurate hence practical. Then I'd say Water Gun.Ok, when I can get rid of this move for a more powerful move I don't hesitate, but that's such a relief when your water starter finally learn a water move in the beginning of the game so... I like this move.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years

What are some of your favorite water type moves and why?

I love Waterfall, it's a very useful move. As I mainly use water Pokémons that are better at Attack than at Special Attack, this move is more interesting than Surf for example. It's not the most powerful water move, but at least it's accurate hence practical. Then I'd say Water Gun.Ok, when I can get rid of this move for a more powerful move I don't hesitate, but that's such a relief when your water starter finally learn a water move in the beginning of the game so... I like this move.
Is Waterfall a physical move? I guess that does actually make sense, since it's the Pokémon using its power to go against waterfalls, though the name just is kinda off-throwing, though I can't really say I agree. With the Water type HM's like Waterfall and Dive, I feel like they're just like Cut, Rock Smash, and all of those weak HM's that are just put in for progression, which you usually just teach to an HM slave. So while Dive can also be an effective way of using an AoE move without damaging your other Pokémon, it isn't really strong in itself, and most of the moves like that (Surf, Earthquake) are weak against Water type Pokémon, so it doesn't help all that much.

Water Gun can kinda be looked at from more than one perspective. You can see it as a great move, because it's such a relief when you finally get Water Gun and don't have to spam Tackle or Scratch or whatever else there is, but it's only really a help in the beginning, before and a bit after the second gym, where after that it isn't really that strong. Also, the same can be applied to Ember and whatever move the Grass type Pokémon learn, since it's not the same for every generation, but that doesn't really change anything. Though in the end, it's your opinion, but just throwing in my comment, 'cause I love it whenever my starter learns Water Gun too ;)

Mentalii

Back
Years
Is Waterfall a physical move? I guess that does actually make sense, since it's the Pokémon using its power to go against waterfalls, though the name just is kinda off-throwing, though I can't really say I agree. With the Water type HM's like Waterfall and Dive, I feel like they're just like Cut, Rock Smash, and all of those weak HM's that are just put in for progression, which you usually just teach to an HM slave. So while Dive can also be an effective way of using an AoE move without damaging your other Pokémon, it isn't really strong in itself, and most of the moves like that (Surf, Earthquake) are weak against Water type Pokémon, so it doesn't help all that much.

Yes Waterfall is a Physical move :) And, even if a lot of people teach Waterfall to their HM slaves, it is actually a very interesting move for strategy. The water-starter is always the water-type of my team, and as Empoleon, Blastoise and Samurott are better at Spe-Attack I teach them Surf, and I teach Waterfall to Feraligatr and Swampert (which are the two that I prefer to use in strategic battle, this is why I said Waterfall instead of Surf). For me both are the best moves for water Pokémon, and are not to neglect even their HM state can make them seem like "weak move". Notably if you want your water-type to know only one water move, at least you're sure it'll do damages and won't miss.

Years
OK Guys, New Topic

Kyogre Vs. Keldeo
Who has the best design, who is your first choice when constructing a team?

arbok

cobra pokemon
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
OK Guys, New Topic

Kyogre Vs. Keldeo

I tend to use Kyogre just a bit more (although I don't use legendary pokemon much) due to my familiarity with Kyogre more than the new guy Keldeo. Kyogre's drizzle also helps boast its power and puts an end to irritating hail or sandstorms. I think Keldeo's typing is unique though, off the top of my head i can't name any other water/fighting types but Keldeo hasn't quite got the attack to pull of being a powerful fighting type.
Both are worth considering though.

Years
Kyogre's drizzle also helps boast its power and puts an end to irritating hail or sandstorms. I think Keldeo's typing is unique though, off the top of my head i can't name any other water/fighting types but Keldeo hasn't quite got the attack to pull of being a powerful fighting type.
Both are worth considering though.

I don't seem to have a problem with Keldeo's lack of drizzle because i'll just get Politoed (I think that's how you spell it) for that, everyone uses Politoed for that reason anyways! Although Kyogre is a stronger hitter Keldeo's typing makes him a better Pokemon in my opinion because he has a wider range of possibilities and makes him a better match up against some Pokemon that Kyogre would normally have trouble with. But as you said they are both worth considering.

340px-382Kyogre.png
VS.
190px-647Keldeo-Resolution.png

Last edited:

Mentalii

Back
Years
Kyogre Vs. Keldeo

Kyogre has the best design, by far. It's a badass legendary, you can guess it just by seeing it. I don't really like Keldeo's design, it looks a bit childish and I don't like its colour scheme.
For my team I'd rather choose Kyogre, because since the Sapphire version I'm used to using it, so it'd be easier to handle it than Keldeo, that I've never really used. So, even if my reasons aren't very strategic, I'd go for Kyogre.

Years
I guess I'll join this.

Name: Hikari10
2 Partner Pokemon: Julian the Oshawott and Pippi the Piplup
Why do you want to swim with us?: I always use a Water-type starter on my team or I mainly choose the Water-type starter not to mention they are so handy to use!
Answer Current topic: I love Kyogre's design better than Keldeo. They both look nice but Kyogre's blue coloring makes it look really beautiful and Generation 3 was the first time I played a Pokemon game as well. Also, Kyogre's Drizzle makes its Water-type attacks really menacing due to the rain.

Olli

Years
Kyogre Vs. Keldeo

A bit unfair for Keldeo here with my answer, since I've never actually used it. But, for design, definitely Kyogre. While I didn't like the designs of the majority of the third generation Pokémon, the legendaries stood out of the crowd with their amazing designs, mainly the Weather Trio. One distinct feature that made them all so great was the markings. I can't really tell why, but they always really appealed to me, and I just felt like they made them look really cool, and though I prefer Groudon's markings and design in general over Kyogre, it still looks extremely cool. I can't say much for Keldeo though. I like its concept and everything, but I just can't help but thing it looks a bit awkward. It's not a bad design, but I don't think it comes that close to Kyogre, so I can definitely tell which is my favourite there.

For which one I'd choose for the team, I can only really say Kyogre here. It's actually a really good Pokémon to use for your team, which I learned from playing cheap and replacing my Ludicolo with it, and it ended up nearly soloing the league, so so that'd definitely be on good point when choosing between them, if I actually knew how good Keldeo was. It was a bit bad choice of Pokémon to pit against another, since unless you play PO, most people wouldn't have tried using it, so there'd be a lot more people who'd choose Kyogre over Keldeo. So yeah, Kyogre is the one I'd choose for my team.

Kenzi

Did I just wake up in Narnia?
Years
Name: Kenzi
2 Partner Pokemon: Starmie & Politoed
Why do you want to swim with us?: I want to live in the sea and swim with water Pokémon all day and night. ♥
Answer Current topic: Kyogre Vs. Keldeo
Kyogre would definitely be my first choice. It's bigger and faster. Keldeo's ponyness just doesn't match up design wise.

Olli

Years
Welcome to the two of you. Hope you'll have a fun time here!

Topic: kyogre is much better than keldeo, because kyogre is more original

I do like Kyogre much more as well, though I'm not quite sure what you mean by Kyogre being more original. I actually quite like Keldeo's concept, as though the unicorn is a really well known mythological creature, which are the kinds of things Pokémon are also made on, it's the first time a Pokémon based on a unicorn is made. I'm not quite sure what Kyogre's actually based on, but I feel like it's a lot more generic than Keldeo, and not to mention that Keldeo has a lot more backstory than Kyogre.

So yeah, it'd be great if you'd elaborate :D

arbok

cobra pokemon
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Welcome to the two of you. Hope you'll have a fun time here!

I do like Kyogre much more as well, though I'm not quite sure what you mean by Kyogre being more original. I actually quite like Keldeo's concept, as though the unicorn is a really well known mythological creature, which are the kinds of things Pokémon are also made on, it's the first time a Pokémon based on a unicorn is made. I'm not quite sure what Kyogre's actually based on, but I feel like it's a lot more generic than Keldeo, and not to mention that Keldeo has a lot more backstory than Kyogre.

So yeah, it'd be great if you'd elaborate :D

Keldeo is the first unicorn? I think Rapidash may disagree ;)
To me Kyogre looks a lot more like a mystery. it seems like the moment you look at it you know that it is a legendary pokemon with Keldeo it feels more like it could be any pokemon, not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but Kyogre just feels truly like the stuff of legends.
Welcome to Kenzi and Happy Azumarill

Olli

Years
I don't think Rapidash is actually supposed to "be" a unicorn, though it's clear that it was inspired by one. I didn't mention it, because I honestly didn't remember it had a horn, which is probably because it isn't really a distinct feature, and as it's recognized as a horse much more than a unicorn. Keldeo is clear that it's completely based off a unicorn though, so I just assumed it was first Pokémon to be based on one. I can agree that Kyogre looks much more legendary though, pretty much because it just kinda has a "legendary" look. Keldeo can probably be grouped with Pokémon like Shaymin and Manaphy and such Pokémon, as they're relatively small and could easily be regular Pokémon.

Years
Sorry I haven't been active guys =/

Kyogre seems a bit boring to me tbh. Maybe it's just me but the design just seems really generic =/. Besides his performance in battle I like Keldeo because he is so awesome just because of his pride and his stance not to mention his 2nd form which looks even cooler, but I can see why other people think Kyogre has a better design then Keldeo.

Falling Wishes

"We're in space. SPAAAAAACE."
Years
Name: Falling Wishes

2 Partner Pokemon: Crawduant & Ludicolo

Why do you want to swim with us?: I adore the cuteness of water Pokemon & i love the water!

Favorite Water Pokemon & Why: Empoleon, i think its the most amazing water type in all Generations! I also enjoy that he is original in dual types with Water - Steel. It looks pretty neat with the design & such, plus penguins are stunning in their beauty.

Greenbeans

Guardian of Le Foret
Years
Name: Jerichob10 (call me Jericho or Jeri)
2 Partner Pokemon: Squirtle & Marill
Why do you want to swim with us?: Water pokemon are the cutest a lot of the time and they can be very strong pokemon, they help you in the toughest times and are just plain awsome!
Favorite water pokemon and why: My favorite water pokemon is squirtle. Why? Well squirtle is the first water starter, as well as the cutest in my opinion. I also believe it to be the strongest of all the water starters and i love all 3 evolutions.

Years
Now, I know people like to be replied to quickly, I know I do, so i'm sorry I wasn't able to welcome everyone! The club is also in a bit of a slump at the moment but I think a new topic should fix that right up! n.n

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! Nice to meet you Falling Wishes and Jeri! Have fun posting!!!

I Would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for joining and actively posting! It may not seem like much, but it really means a lot to me when you guys sign up and contribute to my club! Also, special thanks to Falling Wishes for putting my club in your signature <3

New Topic! *Applause*

If They Made Pokemon Grey, What Would You Have Wanted The Water Starter To Be Instead of Oshawott
*Gets out his handy-dandy Pokemon B/W Handbook* (That has actually came in handy more than I thought it would, lol) Well, because Oshawott is the only 3 Evolution Water Type in the 5th Generation, it will have to be a 1 Evolution or 2 Evolution Pokemon, but I really don't think I would like a starter that didn't evolve. For me, it's between Ducklett and Tirtouga. Even though Ducklett is hard to put off, because he is so cute, I have to say Tirtouga, because he has some moves I like that Ducklett doesn't have so for me, Tirtouga
images

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I feel like an idiot right now, since I thought you meant they made the Pokemon grey, like colored grey, and I thought, okay Tirtouga is grey, but Ducklett isn't? :D

I get it now though, so I'm gonna chose Tympole. She has a 3 evolutionary line, gets a nice 2nd type, and I used her in my game and loved her, she's still in my team. Hydro Pump + Earthquake FTW.

Edit: Also, sorry for disappearing these days, I'll be a lot more active. And I'm not sure if members can suggest new topics, since the owner is in charge of that, but I had a couple of ideas. However, if it's not allowed, I apologize and won't mention it again.

Last edited:
Back