• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokemon Indigo League

A few questions about the camera (fill out after you try the newest beta)

• Total voters

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
Years
Glad to see you're still working on it! Game looks really quite solid and unique. I'd be careful not to mix and match too many graphics from separate generations though. Otherwise, keep up the great work!

Klofkac

He's back!
Years
Glitch: I chose Bulbasau, but in Pokémon Center Joy said "Looks like pikachu."

Edit: Then I got Pikachu!?
Edit2: Jessie and James talked again about bulbasaur... And I battled with bulbasaur... You really should fix those center events!

I want to help you, but I'm too busy now. I haven't even time for Mithirl now.

Last edited:

Bordew5

PokéTect
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2012
The demo was good, short, but good. When this is finished though it'll be great :D

Years
As promised, the public beta is being released.. This is not a normal thing for me to do, but Misty4Life has not been active in months leaving me with no beta tester and no-one to keep me inspired, so I'm releasing this beta for you all to comment on. This is not a chance to copy ideas or just indulge yourselves with fun and entertainment, it is a public test of the map engine. If you download this, I need you to tell me anything you can about it; your thoughts, how fast/slow it runs on your PC (please also try to give processing speeds and HD capacity if you know how), camera angle limitations, etc. Keep it constructive, if you don't like something, give me an example of what you think would be better.

I have tested big maps but I don't think the whole world map would run very fast on many PC's.. Especially when I start filling the map with events. The game will definitely be made up of different maps, but I have considered making large-ish maps and transferring the player before the edge of the map is reached (like how GTA buffers the map gradually as you move through it).. I'll do some testing but I don't want too many load-pauses either so we'll see what happens...

I exhausted myself trying to make those iso sprites work so I've decided to forget about 8-directional buildings until a master spriter comes along..
You should download the beta and see for yourself, there is a 4-directional building and some plain vertical houses for comparison.
The hero from fr/lg is an example of what characters look like with 8-directions compared to Prof. Oak's 4-directional sprite.

2hcgj01.png

Yeah so this is what I mean by "pseudo 3d",
Normally, mode7 is used as a static camera point to give the game some "3d" aspect (like in pokemon d/p)..
What I've done is give a "3rd-person" perspective by allowing rotation of the camera around the player. I also added custom movement to follow the camera angle (if you hold forward and rotate the camera, you will always walk in the direction of the camera (this is not recommended however, as it causes massive lag to run both of those tasks, try it and find out))

Oh before I go, I finally decided to use d/p style gfx.. I saw a lovely representation of pallet using d/p tiles combined with fr/lg buildings.. My hatred of d/p tiles was credited mostly to their ugly buildings so I'm a little suprised myself how nice it looks. I know a guy just said about mixing different gfx lol, I can't help it sorry..
I had originally mapped the entire kanto region in one map and was slowly re-mapping it to work with the engine but I lost the entire thing sadly, it would have been a pleasant suprise for everyone but didn't serve any real purpose to the game because I have my own maps to represent events in the anime..
Another thing, real quick sorry, I have been having re-considerations about the whole flow of the game.. I'm kind of over the long cut-scenes and exact transcriptions from the series.. I want there to be much more gameplay and minimal text (because I know most people just skip it).. I won't change my focus though, I want to have as many anime events as possible and keep in line with the concept of having an individual experience you can alter and change.. It will take some time and thought before I can start going over everything and shortening it without removing too much original anime content.. A guy already said that there was too many cut-scenes and not enough actual gameplay, I'll see what can be done about that!

Forgot to say, control the camera with the keyboard keys "wsad" and the zoom with "q" and "e"
Ok, here it is, the beta download link:
http://massmirror.com/c7ac09bfa4e7baba117f8f20ae1c6416.html < 6mb yay :D
Don't forget what I said and make a post if you try it out, I know where you live ;)

Last edited:

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
Downloaded demo...
The title screen is the xp standard, so is the menu. I was very surprised when I started it:
Indigo.png

It makes no sense, half the time you're the head, the other the feet. You can't go in any buildings or talk to anyone. No lagg btw. Why did you release it?

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Downloaded demo...
The title screen is the xp standard, so is the menu. I was very surprised when I started it:
Indigo.png

It makes no sense, half the time you're the head, the other the feet. You can't go in any buildings or talk to anyone. No lagg btw. Why did you release it?

Uh why does the lab look like its gonna crush the professor... It looks like its about to fall over, I'd fix your graphics...

Years
Ok that's great that you had no lag, it's only a small map.. Did you try moving while using the camera/zoom functions? (I forgot to say, wsadqe are the keyboard controls for the camera if you didn't read already)
Yeah I know when you tilt the camera to the lowest angle, it looks as if everything is leaning foward.. I've been thinking of a creative solution to this problem, might try some things later..
Thanks so much for commenting guys :)

The link is fixed again! Uploaded the wrong one before, sorry..

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I think a fixed camera angle with this pseudo 3D look would work very well.
And maybe for dramatic effect, move the camera for events and "cut-scenes".

Years
Hmmm.. That's an interesting idea..
Thanks Neo, but is the ability to control the camera really a negative feature? I know there are some wierd angles that don't look that great, but it lines up pretty well most of the time..
I could have the camera swing and lock into place at these good angles if it's a better idea.. I thought people would want the freedom to move the camera in small increments..
If the camera was to swing and lock, what would you recommend? 4 viewpoints (nsew), 8 viewpoints (n,ne,e,se,s,sw,w,nw)? Should I keep the vertical angle at say, 60 degrees or so, or allow about 20 degrees of play?
Anyone else have ideas how it should be used?

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
The swing & lock at N-S-E-W Sounds like a good idea, and it should be easier to create graphics for 4 viewpoints rather than 8

Lord_Kurosaki13

Amateur ash
Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2010
How exactly do i play the Demo im use to the vba and just patching the rom but im not sure how to even get it started please help?

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Here's a cool, idea whenever Team Rocket does there motto make it animated, like what you did with those few things at the beginning.

Years
Konekodemon, do you mean show it as a video or with pictures.? Because the video clips didn't work for quite a few people..
There's a poll now to help me decide how the engine should be modified.. Vote away please, and feel free to offer any suggestions for other options.
Also, 29 downloads and 6 posters :o at least vote in the poll, come on >:(

Biggar

Catcher of all 493 Pokémon
Years
I am really planning to play this game, so keep up the good work!

Just one silly questiuon: how do I play the demo? I downloaded it and unpacked it, but when I open GAME.exe, it gives a pop-up which sais there is some file missing. Do I need to download another programm to play it?

I got it running, and I really liked it, but as other people have already noticed: the movies aren't shown. Also, I think it would be good if you wouldn't hear the bgmusic during movies.

Would it be possible to include a fullscreen mode?

Last edited:

Pokemon_123

Pikachu...
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2010
just wondering, u said u have got to episode 3, 3 months ago and havent shown anything of the episode, so i was wondering if u needed some help?
im an ok spriter, mapper and scripter so if u need help just ask.
btw, i've got coursework to do at the moment but will be able to help a the end of may if u need it :)

Back