• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimblethumbs

my name would look hot in bold
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2015
I see all these guys using CSS to make their posts look cool and I can't

i need to learn vbulletin CSS

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Where you you the past month or two?
Uh, yes? Who else would I be?

I see all these guys using CSS to make their posts look cool and I can't

i need to learn vbulletin CSS
CSS isn't necessary. Well, really simple code is enough to spiff up a post a lot. What do you want to be able to do?
(This isn't completely related to RPing so maybe you can PM me or even better Skymin to get some help :3 There might be more people willing to help over in the Webmaster section of PC, I guess?)

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@Nimblethumbs: Be cautious. Only add eye-candy that is also functional, or it will come off as... tacky. If you're only playing one single character in an RP, the center/right/left alignment, font size and font style, and other simple BBcodes should be enough.

Never touch font colors though. Anything that isn't black, grey, or white /always/ comes off as tacky, and changing it out of the default runs a risk of not being visible on other themes due to different colored backgrounds even then unless you use background colors via CSS. which is tacky in and of itself unless you play multiple characters and are using them to make it easy to tell where one post ends, one post begins, and whose post it is via color coding them. :U

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
A big sorry to all roleplayers; i will be on and off inactive until the end of the month. this is my first year of university and i dont want to stuff up my finals by running in circles here.

the easiest way to get my attention or contact me is VMs though. pokecommunity usercp is my homepage so i do see stuff like that whenever i open chrome. however, asking me questions via threads will probably not reach me at all.

everything is due for me on the 27th of october. after this, i am free for like 5 months. im sorry for the inactivity, but i must focus on my school work.

i should be able to keep up on submissions but if you do need anything, dont be afraid to give me a hollar.

TatlTael

I'm that guy
Years
Hello roleplayers,

My name is TatlTael, and I can't wait too begin roleplaying :)! I will be pretty active on this forum so even though I am a beginner in RPing, I will be able to keep up with most roleplays (unless I have exams or something like that.) I also want to become a writer when I am older so if you have any constructive criticism, please feel free to VM or PM me :).

Anyway, are there any new "beginner" roleplays that I could join so I could get into the swing of things?

Vato

This Is Our Last Goodbye
Years
Hello roleplayers,

My name is TatlTael, and I can't wait too begin roleplaying :)! I will be pretty active on this forum so even though I am a beginner in RPing, I will be able to keep up with most roleplays (unless I have exams or something like that.) I also want to become a writer when I am older so if you have any constructive criticism, please feel free to VM or PM me :).

Anyway, are there any new "beginner" roleplays that I could join so I could get into the swing of things?

Hello TatlTael, I can see you're excited, I like that, hooray for excitement!!1! :D

Just as long that you realize that Skymin, Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers, Pkmn Trainer Yellow, and Raikiri are our demigods, thus being limitless sources of knowledge, with Supervegeta being more powerful than a god, I can assure you you'll be okay :)

"Begginer Roleplay's"? Well, we sort of died when school starteed xD But if you check the Check to See if Your Roleplay was Accepted Thread, you may find a Roleplay with spots open, and it really doesn't matter if you're a noob or a pro at RPing, I consider the quality of your writing to be more important than that :)

You can also check people's SUs, they sometimes put the names of the RPs they're in, and sometimes they add links! How convenient is that? :D

I hope your Roleplaying experiences here are nothing but super-special-awesome !

Pkmn Trainer Butthead

Proto (Not the *****)
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Play Song when you read

Hello, it is Westside Connection. You may remember me, maybe not, I probably ditched you in some way. My reason for posting here is that I plan on making a comeback to RP'ing, and to stay here for good this time. I have a RP of my own in the works, I can't tell you much other than I plan that it will be thought out and planned, and it should be up in a week or so. I'm also scanning the forums for an RP that I feel I could fit in, and play well. Does anyone need a RP'er in their RP? If so, I give your RP an assessment and may join it. Anyways, I'm back for good this time.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Uh, yes? Who else would I be?
Sleepy Typo. It was meant to say "Where were you"... Wow. I don't usually mess up something like that.

Only add eye-candy that is also functional, or it will come off as... tacky. If you're only playing one single character in an RP, the center/right/left alignment, font size and font style, and other simple BBcodes should be enough.

Never touch font colors though. Anything that isn't black, grey, or white /always/ comes off as tacky, and changing it out of the default runs a risk of not being visible on other themes due to different colored backgrounds even then unless you use background colors via CSS. which is tacky in and of itself unless you play multiple characters and are using them to make it easy to tell where one post ends, one post begins, and whose post it is via color coding them. :U
.__. Totally directed at me, right? Either way, I was thinking of revamping my Post Coding, so that all of my characters have simple variants of a single basic theme.

Firstly, I completely see your name reference, and I ironically just started playing Majora's Mask again on Gamecube Yesterday.
Spoiler:

Second, I too am an aspiring writer, and I roleplay here with as frequent activity as possible.
Lastly, greetings.

Just as long that you realize that Skymin, Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers, Pkmn Trainer Yellow, and Raikiri are our demigods, thus being limitless sources of knowledge, with Supervegeta being more powerful than a god, I can assure you you'll be okay :)
And what am I, but an angel fallen from the heavens, seeking redemption?

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
Hey a lot of you probably do't remember me but... I'm back. I did a few RP's back then and they where all fun. I kinda left for a while (but still played pokemon) and now I'm back. Anyone have any good new Pokemon RP's that I could join.

Thanks for the recommendations!

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
And what am I, but an angel fallen from the heavens, seeking redemption?

Nope, you're Raikiri's butler.

Also, the talk about relating collaborative writing and solo writing has got me asking this:

Do you think roleplaying (collaborative writing) will benefit someone's writing ability should they try to make a book (through writing under their own power with little to no outside help), and why?

Dawn

Years
@WolfOfEve: Actually, it's mainly directed at those using odd font colors. In a perfect world, a site would only have dark themes or light themes and it wouldn't be as big of an issue, but they do cause problems here because that's not the case. :U

Hence, if you notice that my coding for characters that are alone and thus don't have color coded backgrounds aren't set to font color black manually like normal. ;o

@TornZero: I believe it certainly could help, but that it can also hinder you. The two styles of writing just aren't similar enough to be interchangable. For instance, I know I've talked to /you/ about this personally, but /most/ RPers butcher perspective by trying to use third person without actually completely separating themselves from their character, resulting in something in-between third and first person. (Resembling third person omniscient, but not quite the same.)

Khawill

<3
Years
Well I don't like writing in a third person omniscient because my character isn't, but I don't want to write in first person because I can do things like, "She could no longer remember her past, tragedies were wiped clean but deep down she probably felt it". I don't want to be my character I want to tell the story of it.

Koyan

Ghost/Dark Trainer
Years
3rd person limited is the way to go. :3 Your character doesn't know anything He/She hasn't found out.

Dawn

Years
@Koyan: I guess I'd say that the issue I see is that people's writing doesn't change enough to give off the distinction. Like, one can't simply switch to third person pronouns and call it third person subjective. That to me feels shallow.

Honstly, when you review the origin of roleplaying and what it actually is in concept first person actually makes more sense. If you look at D&D roleplayers, and other more classical roleplayers like LARPers you'll find they probably don't use third person. That's because you're stepping into the role of a character, not simply writing about what you think might've happened to that character. You're playing that role in realtime. Logic /would/ dictate that's an appropriate time for first person. I blame the fact that our form roleplaying is more written, and thus we make the presumption that it follows similar rules to writing a book. While this is a bad presumption to make, it's also true that orthology dictates that a mistake made by the majority ceases to be a mistake. Thus, third person subjective is arguably an acceptable writing format. The same could also probably be said of our obsession with past tense. Why do we write in past tense if the story is happening in realtime right in front of us? Once again, orthology dictates that because we all do this it ceases to be wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that it's rather odd given the context of our writing.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Wolf looked at Yellow and Koyan with an expression that said "dafuq", but instead of getting into the argument, he began to type out a third person comment that even goes as far as referring to itself. Little did they know, that this form of write-ception is a joke in itself. Upon reading this they began to wonder whether this "WolfOfEve" character was just strange or some kind of demented psychopath.

Koyan

Ghost/Dark Trainer
Years
@Koyan: I guess I'd say that the issue I see is that people's writing doesn't change enough to give off the distinction. Like, one can't simply switch to third person pronouns and call it third person subjective. That to me feels shallow.

I suppose I see your point, there. As a writer and aspiring Author, every story I've written is narrated by a single character. 'Tis why I love Third Person Subjective so much. In RP'ing, it comes to me as the most natural because I am not my character. He/She/It is only my creation, who I am writing in their perspective. Also, I can't stand to read first person, especially when point of view changes every 3 paragraphs... So... Rp'ing while all of your co-Rp'ers are using first person makes me want to pull a Curt Cobain.

Practicing your writing is good and all, but doing it with only Collaborative writing in your belt might not be a good idea. I think that Collaborative writing can force you into the habit of complacently following the story line or plot given by a GM and not having a story crafted on your own. Writing may take practice, and you might be an excellent writer, but I also think that crafting a well thought out plot takes as much practice as writing does. Unless of course, you're the GM... Then... I don't know, seeing as I've never tried to be a GM.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
So I threw a Sword Art Online RP into the mix, based on the Aincrad arc of the anime/manga.

No need for prior knowledge! If you like what you read in the thread but feel you need more than just PM me of ask in the thread :D

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Hey, did anyone notice that you can now like posts here? It says this right under everyone's signature:

Post liked by people. - Like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back