• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Most disappointing Pokemon from Unova

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Alomomora can **** right off.

Kind of makes me think of Aloh Hamora. Just what are you trying to unlock???

I'm honestly having a hard time finding anything bad to say about any Gen 5 Pokemon. I may not have been as excited for Gen 5 as a whole, but it sure as heck had some amazing Pokemon. My least favorites would have to be the Starters and the Genies. Both of which played a role in me not considering Gen 5 to be higher on my list of favorite Generations.

Reactions: Sun

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
Years
Maractus. It would be much better if its stats were higher, but its only decent stat is its special attack. Its movepool and ability are fine though.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
Years
Personally, I'm disappointed with the three elemental monkeys Simisage, Simipour and Simisear. Something about their designs makes me want to ignore them and replace them with another pokemon of the same typing.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
As much as I love Gen 5 Pokémon to the point where I'd take the Gen 5 lineup over the Gen 1 lineup any day, I have to agree about the elemental monkeys. I've often criticized Gen 1 for basically copy-pasting the Nidoran line, and IMHO despite having different types, the elemental monkeys aren't much better. Besides, we already had a fire monkey before (Chimchar) , so there's another level to the copy-paste accusation :) .

Some of the one-stage Pokémon are, IMHO, just there and aren't particularly interesting, such as Druddigon, Basculin, Maractus, Throh and Sawk, as well as the Pokémon I hate almost as much as I hate Pikachu: Stunfisk.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 10, 2015
The two ****ing ice cream scoops and the geared ass mothers ****ers thats who

Ryz

Years
All three starters for me.... Thats why I never play Gen 5 anymore... I played it like crap until Gen 6 came out. Both BW and BW2 are in a drawer in my room. Haven't touched them since XY came out. The only starter I find half way appealing is the Snivy line. Thats tell a little disappointing for me.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I'm going to have to say Zebstrika. I had high hopes for this guy. I liked the design, its movepool isn't completely awful, but they put the stats in the wrong place. Its physical movepool is very limited, and it suffers the same fate as Luxray. I still used it until the end simply for the design, but I wanted it to be so much more powerful instead of underwhelming.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I really love gen V and it's definitely up there in terms of my favorite Pokemon designs...and almost everything else. I did a long challenge in my White where I raised every Unova Pokemon and took them to the Elite Four and Champion to make it into the Hall of Fame. While I really enjoyed most of my teammates, there were some that came out disappointing, so here are those:

497.png
500.png
503.png

While I felt the first stage starters were all amazing looking and promising, their final stages were anything but. I like the designs of Serperior and Emboar, but Samurott really disappoints me there. He just looks...rather odd and idk how he stands like that. Looks uncomfortable! But I found all three of them to be a bit eh in battle. I didn't find them all that fun or interesting to use. Emboar is best if you want someone to plow with for a bit and Serperior is a bit more fun in BW2 with Aqua Tail, but Samurott...sorry, buddy. :( All of them are just mediocre to me.

510.png

Beautiful Pokemon, boring execution. Dark leopard could have been so much better and fun to use. It doesn't get much to play with and its stats are like pee pee. I know it's a beginning route Pokemon, but even Stoutland can do some things. Come on, kitty.

621.png

It's a lazy spiky boring dragon. :( I don't know what else I can say about it. I didn't have fun using it, I don't have fun looking at it, and I don't like thinking about it. It's just very bland and sticks out by being one of the most bland, if not the most, of the Unova bunch to me.

523.png

This monstrosity...ugh. So this is a hella cool design, I won't deny that. I was super excited for this Pokemon because badass electric zebra! Honestly, who wasn't pumped for this Pokemon? Sadly, it didn't get a hugely varied movepool and just wasn't all that fun to play with. It also has a cry that could make Satan wish he didn't have ears. But my biggest problem with Zebstrika, and it's all personal, is when I found rule 34 of it with Elesa. I've hated this Pokemon ever since and it dethroned my previous least favorite Pokemon by a landslide. Yes, I'm aware there's rule 34 of everything, even my faves, but I haven't seen it. And I don't intend to. My tumblr filters are ON.

For what it's worth, I don't hate any of these Pokemon (well, one exception here) and they have some good qualities, but these are just the ones that really disappointed me when I got around to using them after being hype over them.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Great mor Zebstrika haters.... :(

Adn HOW could I forget the Yamask line!? I don't have a clue why people have success with them. I tried using it in a run. It literally has no moves! At the point you can get one, it can only learn it's primary attacking move, which is a ghost attack with garbage PP and meh power. And it has a terrible TM movepool too. Mine could only learn... Return. Which works off a total trash attack. And with Minccinos, Liepards, Herdiers, Sandiles and EVEN Audinos running around, get prepared for some shitstorm. So if you plan to train a Yamask, I'm inferring you'd do it because 1. You have never used it before, 2. You want to make things more challenging, or 3. You're just a hipster. At least Darumaka can do something.

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
Years
Overall I think the 5th generation Pokemon are great, but imo these are the ones with underwhelming designs-

- Fully Evolved Starters
I doubt I need to elaborate, but... Serperior has no arms (lol), Emboar looks meh, and Samurott is ugly af. Honestly.
- Stoutland
Its design just doesn't look that creative at all.
- Stunfisk
Oh look, it's the new Magikarp.
- Durant and Heatmor
The former is simply boring, and the latter is.., weird-looking, for a lack of a better explanation. I'm not a fan of what it has going on down there, and its face isn't all that great either :-/

Years
I quite like all of the Unova pokemon. I don't really know much about the stats so I'll just comment on the design of one in particular.
I think Munna/Musharna look odd, like an embryo or something it's really quite off-putting :\

Years
I find it so sad to hear my fave starters in the series (at least design-wise) getting so much hate due to "awkward" designs or stats. People claim Serperior has no arms but it actually does have some short leaf arms if you look carefully, but the comments about Samurott are what I don't get. The most I hear complained about it is that it's too different from the other two, but then again we all know there's one "oddball" when it comes to a starter trio.

I think the design of Samurott is not that awful, it's actually very interesting and totally unexpected for a starter and I like it when something comes out not the way most would normally expect it to become.

ElCabron

Su Cabronito!
Years
I for one love Samurott. And I don't find odd. To be honest, I find almost the whole Unova to be differently pleasing.
My disappointments come from stats, typing, and movesets. If anything, my issues are movesets. Cryogonal and Klingklang should've been way better because they're so darn cool and yet almost tiring to use. You have to make your team based on them to use it effectively. Not nice.

Years
I'm going to have to say Zebstrika. I had high hopes for this guy. I liked the design, its movepool isn't completely awful, but they put the stats in the wrong place. Its physical movepool is very limited, and it suffers the same fate as Luxray. I still used it until the end simply for the design, but I wanted it to be so much more powerful instead of underwhelming.

That is what I agree with. While I did use Zebstrika for a while in my first Black playthrough, it was kinda annoying to learn it was mainly meant to use physical attacks yet physical STAB was terrible, only having access to a weak powered attack (Spark) and one that causes recoil (Wild Charge). At least its Special Attack wasn't too bad so you could get by with special moves if you need to.

Back