• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
*Cries in corner*
Why can't I find a girl like that?
*talks quietly to self* Well, there is Rhee. But she likes funny more the geeky *laughs to self*
Maybe I'll meet a new person at school this Wednesday... *done talking to self*

I think that most of us know your sorrow, except IceDragon2439.

My last girlfriend, like all the rest, dumped me, because they where unwilling to continue the relationship. X/

Which leads me to our next topic:

When you are writhing a scene and come up to something that you have not experienced, do you: Do you best to experience it short of causing bodily harm? -or- Do you use Google to find out what you want to know?

I do my best to experience what I am doing short of bodily harm, if that fails, I ask someone I know. As a last resort I use Google.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
When you are writhing a scene and come up to something that you have not experienced, do you: Do you best to experience it short of causing bodily harm? -or- Do you use Google to find out what you want to know?

Assuming this is a question of whether or not the age-old cliche of "write what you know" should be taken literally and to the T (and I'm sorry, but yes, it is a cliche in that it's a badly worded piece of advice that's been repeated so many times I couldn't tell you who first said it), allow me to simply quote Stephen King on the matter:

I think you begin by interpreting "write what you know" as broadly and inclusively as possible. If you're a plumber, you know plumbing, but that is far from the extent of your knowledge; the heart also knows things, and so does the imagination.

He said it in reference of basically "imbuing [writing] with life" (also his quote). Basically, that one should take life experiences and use them in stories, yes, but I also feel that this particular quote meant expand upon things with your own imagination and abilities. If you don't know something, then yes, you'll probably want to do a little research about it (observe, look it up, ask), but you don't need to actually experience something completely first-hand in order to be able to write about it. For example, with the plumber, yeah, the plumber's going to write about plumbing, but there's a lot of other little bits about the book that he might want to add -- like, if the plumber is on a spaceship (which, in this example, I believe he is), what a lack of gravity feels like. Does he just stick to the only thing he's experienced (that is, fixing pipes), or does he branch out and let his imagination define the things he hasn't experienced?

For a clearer example, I'm going to get a bit personal here and say I write frequently about working heterosexual relationships and sometimes gay sex. The fact of the matter, however, is that I've never dated a guy who didn't want to do much more than hold hands, and I've never participated in male-male sexual activities for fairly obvious reasons. But if the story calls for it, do I throw up my hands and say, "Oh, I can't experience this myself, so therefore, I should refrain from writing about it"?

The answer is no. Why should I let myself be blocked by the fact that I can't actually experience these things in real life? Instead, I do a bit of research. I read about how things work and ask around. I observe working relationships in action, and I have a few gay friends who are more than happy to tell me all about what it feels like the first time. If I need to use Google because I'm not in contact with those resources, then yes, I'm going to use it because it's there to be used. (Granted, I try to find reliable sites, but you get the idea.)

Point is, the phrase "write what you know" shouldn't be taken strictly literally, as King implies. It's writing what you know, yes, but the "know" means research, imagination, and personal experience. If you don't have the latter, then that's okay too.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Well, I don't come here for...a few days. And so much happens.

*Cries in corner*
Why can't I find a girl like that?
*talks quietly to self* Well, there is Rhee. But she likes funny more the geeky *laughs to self*
Maybe I'll meet a new person at school this Wednesday... *done talking to self*
Har...har...
I...
Actually, I won't make you feel bad worse...

Whoops. I meant Infinite Improbability Drive. It's a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference, so I didn't expect many people to get it...hilarious books. Too bizarre for words, but still hilarious.
W00T! The most hilarious book ever!
Even Google realises it!

Now uh...the most nerdy fiction story...uh...Hmmm.... I haven't read many nerdy ones...uh...xD

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
I think that most of us know your sorrow, except IceDragon2439.

My last girlfriend, like all the rest, dumped me, because they where unwilling to continue the relationship. X/

Which leads me to our next topic:

I do my best to experience what I am doing short of bodily harm, if that fails, I ask someone I know. As a last resort I use Google.

I haven't really had one. I have what you would call a problem Maxwell Sheffield had(search "The Nanny 1x01" on Youtube- P.S. They have all the episodes). If you don't want to do the work of watching a few season's of the best 90's comedy with majorly minor innuendos (TRUST ME - "Hairspray" has more "in-depth" innuendo), then I will just say it now.

Spoiler:

Now onto the topic at hand:
When you are writing a scene and come up to something that you have not experienced, do you: Do you best to experience it short of causing bodily harm? -or- Do you use Google to find out what you want to know?

I use the knowledge I have gained from movies or TV to help ;p
(mainly the romantic stuff :/ At least I am good at describing that XD LOL )

Last edited:

Buoysel

Years
I wait too long, and by that time - the girl isn't interested anymore - she moves on.

OMG, are we twins?!!?

I have the same problem. fortunately for me, when the girl got fed up with waiting, she asked me out.

So I have yet to ask

I take that back. I asked one girl out, a long time ago. I gave her a note (how original).

She sent me a message on myspace saying no. (I never really like myspace anyway.)

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
OMG, are we twins?!!?

I have the same problem. fortunately for me, when the girl got fed up with waiting, she asked me out.

So I have yet to ask

I take that back. I asked one girl out, a long time ago. I gave her a note (how original).

She sent me a message on myspace saying no. (I never really like myspace anyway.)

*scratches back of neck like Ash*
Um... I've asked out a few girls before.
It was just that by that time they were tired of waiting, and didn't know me well enough.

Twins? o_o
How old are you?
I'll look later XP
EDIT: BTW - I am 15, I look younger because of my face, but because of all my facial hair, a flight attendant thought I could pass for 25(without shaving for about a week - that is how quick my hair grows in - I have to shave it every 3 days to keep it looking normal).
All the guys in my class are no where near that much hair - maybe on their legs, but I probably still have more on my legs too.
*Cries* I don't want to be hairy! =P

You don't wear glasses do you? If you do, we could be twins ^^

I feel out of love with Rheanna (Rhee for short) at the end of summer, and she captured my heart again with her cute charm, sweet laugh and smile, and wonderful "Huh?"/Clueless look.

I hope I can ... Break the barriers around both our lives. It is hard to explain...

Last edited:

IceDragon2439

Stand Up and Scream
Years
Well I hope I didn't make you guys feel bad, she's just one of the few people who knows I like and write about Pokemon, lol. It was hard to tell her I did, but I guess she likes a guy who is a geek.

But before Erin, I definitely had that problem, I don't know how many times I was shot down, but my problem was shyness.

Even asking Erin, I did it with a hypothetical, if I asked you out, what would you say, question XD

And you are twins, Blue Angel was just delivered two years after Kcander, hehe. I wonder who's older? XD

King_Lucario

An eternal struggle...
Years
Hey. I'm new here. Currently I am working on a fanfic called "All Too Real". Here is what it's about:

The story is set in the year 2019. Virtual Reality is the norm. The story centers around a 16-year-old Sophomore named Devin Harrison and his love interest Layla Michaels and his best friend Tyler Brickhouse. In 2017, a game called "All Too Real" or A2R for short, was introduced. It enabled people to put themselves into a game where it felt real (pain, temperature, everything in the human plane only digitized. Pleasure could be felt too.) On March 19, 2017, an update to the game was issued. However, after the update, many people began having trouble logging off of the game. Many of these players disappeared for long periods of times. As the story progresses, the game A2R begins to merge with the real world. This leads to people's deaths and the death of an important character to the story. This leads Devin to figure out what is going on and try to end it before more innocent people die.

Do you think this story has potential? I based it off of an RP I found elsewhere, but I forgot where I got it. If you think it is a good story, can you swing by and read it? Currently, I am on Chapter IV.

Buoysel

Years
Well I hope I didn't make you guys feel bad, she's just one of the few people who knows I like and write about Pokemon, lol. It was hard to tell her I did, but I guess she likes a guy who is a geek.

But before Erin, I definitely had that problem, I don't know how many times I was shot down, but my problem was shyness.

Even asking Erin, I did it with a hypothetical, if I asked you out, what would you say, question XD

And you are twins, Blue Angel was just delivered two years after Kcander, hehe. I wonder who's older?

IDK. Hey, Blue Angle, how old are you. If you don't want to answer that, just say if you're older or younger than me.

Spoiler:

IceDragon2439

Stand Up and Scream
Years
I have to shave it every 3 days to keep it looking normal).
All the guys in my class are no where near that much hair - maybe on their legs, but I probably still have more on my legs too.
*Cries* I don't want to be hairy! =P

Well Blue Angel, you got me beat by facial hair, but I bet my hair is longer, it reaches between my shoulder blades, which is decent for a guy =)

But I know what you mean about not wanting to be hairy, which is why I'm happy I dont have much on my chest and none on my back *knocks on wood*

How do you ask the gender you're attracted to out?

Hah, I'm definitely not the one to answer this but like I said, for Erin it was the really lame hypothetical question, If I asked you out, what would you say =).

Last edited:

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
Well Blue Angel, you got me beat by facial hair, but I bet my hair is longer, it reaches between my shoulder blades, which is decent for a guy =)

But I know what you mean about not wanting to be hairy, which is why I'm happy I dont have much on my chest and none on my back *knocks on wood*

How do you ask the gender you're attracted to out?

Hah, I'm definitely not the one to answer this but like I said, for Erin it was the really lame hypothetical question, If I asked you out, what would you say =).

I did that with Rheanna before, the hypothetical question - but that was before we spent real time together. Talking in computer class across a computer doesn't count for enough ;p

Yeah, I have no hair on my back, very little on my chest - and my dad is a freak about the hair on the top of my head and keeps it short.

It is scary that I have more hair one my legs than my dad, and I certainly have more on my head(the top - he has me beat in the facial department)

kcander90- I already said I was 15 XD

Buoysel

Years
I did that with Rheanna before, the hypothetical question - but that was before we spent real time together. Talking in computer class across a computer doesn't count for enough ;p

Yeah, I have no hair on my back, very little on my chest - and my dad is a freak about the hair on the top of my head and keeps it short.

It is scary that I have more hair one my legs than my dad, and I certainly have more on my head(the top - he has me beat in the facial department)

kcander90- I already said I was 15 XD

Apparently I missed couple of things. Sorry about the age, but where did hair topic come from?

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't see Blue Angle's edit.

Blue Angle said:
You don't wear glasses do you? If you do, we could be twins ^^

Supposed too. But my visions was getting better and then I broke them. Haven't worn them in three years.

Last edited:

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
Apparently I missed couple of things. Sorry about the age, but where did hair topic come from?

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't see Blue Angle's edit.

Supposed too. But my visions was getting better and then I broke them. Haven't worn them in three years.

Oh, it came from how confusing it is to determine my age.
I forgot to make that point... XP

So when it comes to maturity level, I could be 17. When it comes to how silly I like to be... I have no idea how young that is... 13?

So you could say I act everything BUT my age.

Wow, your vision got better?

I can't see the white board at times so I have to. Plus I just wear them everywhere anyway.

Buoysel

Years
Oh, it came from how confusing it is to determine my age.
I forgot to make that point... XP

So when it comes to maturity level, I could be 17. When it comes to how silly I like to be... I have no idea how young that is... 13?

So you could say I act everything BUT my age.

Wow, your vision got better?

I can't see the white board at times so I have to. Plus I just wear them everywhere anyway.

Yes I started out as a 20/120 and then ended at a 20/25.

I was almost blind in one eye. But all this computer usage is probably not helping X/

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
Maybe we could be triplets O_O

Ok, I guess not *snaps finger*

That would be odd, but hey, life is odd.

We've really randomnized the WL XD

Yeah, we are talking about Triplets, Dates, and Hair LOL XD

Well maybe. You too are 17, and I think at Maturity level - I am 17, so three 17 year old triplets isn't that strange ^^

Life is odd...

I couldn't even finish a Kids sudoku today(and I finished a Tough the day before which is 4 levels higher than Kids). Something was wrong with my brain; I think it was stress from a book report, sending my sister off to college, and jet lag.

Yes I started out as a 20/120 and then ended at a 20/25.

I was almost blind in one eye. But all this computer usage is probably not helping X/

Oh...
0_o
That explains my bad eyesight...
Well, it is also cause I rub my eyes with the side of my fist when I get something in my eye.
Hard habit to break...

Last edited:

Buoysel

Years
Yeah, we are talking about Triplets, Dates, and Hair LOL XD

Well maybe. You too are 17, and I think at Maturity level - I am 17, so three 17 year old triplets isn't that strange ^^

Life is odd...

I couldn't even finish a Kids sudoku today(and I finished a Tough the day before which is 4 levels higher than Kids). Something was wrong with my brain; I think it was stress from a book report, sending my sister off to college, and jet lag.

I am not trying to brag, but my maturity level is higher than 17. I have to shave every other day to avoid from going nuts from the irritation that is cause by the hair on the my neck.

but for the sake of our triplets things I will act like a half way normal 17 year old, hey we should put something about us being triplets in our sig. What do you say?

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
I am not trying to brag, but my maturity level is higher than 17. I have to shave every other day to avoid from going nuts irritation from the hair on the my neck.

but for the sake of our triplets things I will act like a half way normal 17 year old, hey we should put something about us being triplets in our sig. What do you say?
Yeah
Triplet Brothers ^^
I know, that facial hair thing is annoying.
True, you probably have 2 years more shaving, so having to shave every day makes sense.

Well, honestly I have been to "knowledgeable" since I was young, so 17 might not fit me either *wink*

Buoysel

Years
here, just remove your name.

Triplet brothers with Blue Angel, and IceDragon2439, and kcander90

Last edited:

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
here, just remove your name.