• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2012
Training Genesect

I have a Genesect that I want to EV train. Its IVs are as follows:

• HP: 1
  • Attack: 2
  • Defense: 2
  • Special Attack: 27
  • Special Defense: 22
  • Speed:14

I was wondering if I should EV train to cover its IV deficiencies, or focus on its strengths.

PS. Having just read the Competitive Battling guide, I'm realizing that competitive battling is probably something I'm never going to really get into (I suck at competitions), but I would still like to properly train Genesect, because he's cool :)

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I Ev trained my Growlithe and I was wondering if its better to raise level by level or can it be raised with EXP share or so forth.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I Ev trained my Growlithe and I was wondering if its better to raise level by level or can it be raised with EXP share or so forth.

After it's been EV trained, feel free to use the EXP share, it won't make a difference anymore. :)

coolboyhyatt

The Ultimate Breeder!
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2013
Shiny Tentacool - Needing EVs/ Moveset suggestions :D

Got myself a shiny Tentacool on Fire Red, migrated it over to my Black and now i need your suggestions :D
Sassy Nature
it's IVs are
hp - 28
speed - 9
attack 25
def - 5
sp a -7
sp d -11

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Got myself a shiny Tentacool on Fire Red, migrated it over to my Black and now i need your suggestions :D
Sassy Nature
it's IVs are
hp - 28
speed - 9
attack 25
def - 5
sp a -7
sp d -11

Tentacruel's best stats are its Special stats (particularly Special Defense) and Speed. The IVs for those stats aren't particularly that good. That, and the Sassy nature kills the potential Tentacruel's good Speed. Sorry to break it to you.

Icy Burn

Beginner Breeder | Kyurem W <3
Years
NU Team Help (competitive)

Hey! I really need help for an NU Team, competitive. I have an idea for some of the types ... -

Ice
Dragon
Poison
Dark
Psychic
Ground

That's just an idea. I've never,. ever been good with Teams, so ... could someone who knows what they're doing unlike me help? :3

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hey! I really need help for an NU Team, competitive. I have an idea for some of the types ... -

Ice
Dragon
Poison
Dark
Psychic
Ground

That's just an idea. I've never,. ever been good with Teams, so ... could someone who knows what they're doing unlike me help? :3

Articuno gained Hurricane in B2/W2, so it can make use of offensive sets, as well as defensive ones:
-Ice Beam
-Hurricane
-Hidden Power (Ground)/Substitute
-Roost
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Pressure

or
-Subsitute
-Roost
-Ice Beam
-Toxic/Protect
Nature: Timid
EVs: 192 HP/64 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers

or
-Ice Beam
-Heal Bell
-Roar/Toxic
-Roost
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef

Fraxure can provide raw power for the team:
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Superpower/Low Kick
-Substitute/Taunt
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker

or
-Outrage
-Superpower
-Aqua Tail
-Dragon Claw
Nature: Adamant
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker

If Psychics are problematic, Absol or Skuntank can take them out:

Absol:
-Sucker Punch
-Pursuit
-Night Slash
-Superpower
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Ability: Super Luck

Skuntank:
-Sucker Punch
-Pursuit
-Crunch/Poison Jab
-Taunt
EVs: 252 Atk/220 SDef/36 Spe
Item: Black Sludge/Dread Plate/BlackGlasses
Ability: Aftermath

or
-Sucker Punch
-Pursuit/Crunch
-Sludge Bomb
-Hidden Power (Ground)/Fire Blast
Nature: Lonely
EVs: 252 Atk/220 SAtk/36 Spe
Ability: Aftermath

Musharna is pretty darn bulky Psychic Pokemon:
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Heal Bell/Signal Beam
-Moonlight
Nature: Bold
EVs: 240 HP/252 Def/16 SDef
Ability: Synchronize

or
-Psychic
-Signal Beam
-Hidden Power (Ground)/Trick Room
-Moonlight
Nature: Modest/Quiet
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 Spe

or
-Psychic
-Signal Beam
-Hidden Power (Ground)
-Trick/Sleep Talk
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 Spe
Item: Choice Specs

or
-Psychic
-Moonlight
-Thunder Wave/Baton Pass
-Heal Bell/Baton Pass
Nature: Bold
EVs: 240 HP/252 Def/16 SDef

Golurk provides more raw power alongside Fraxure, despite sharing an Ice weakness:
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Shadow Punch
-Earthquake
EVs: 200 HP/252 Atk/12 Def/44 Spe
Ability: Iron Fist

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Going to use Staryu/Starmie with Timid nature.

Would like to know the best Move sets for and possible EV distributions

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Rapid Spin

With the boltbeam combo, it allows you to hit things like Skarmory with a lot of damage, other flying types such as Tornadus or grass types even such as Celebi, Surf as your main STAB which has good coverage in OU and Rapid Spin to eliminate hazards. Pretty much the best one there is. You can replace Rapid Spin with Recover too if you wanna.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Rapid Spin

With the boltbeam combo, it allows you to hit things like Skarmory with a lot of damage, other flying types such as Tornadus or grass types even such as Celebi, Surf as your main STAB which has good coverage in OU and Rapid Spin to eliminate hazards. Pretty much the best one there is. You can replace Rapid Spin with Recover too if you wanna.

What about Status moves such Thunder wave. Or what about psychic with the STAB?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Starmie doesn't have the best Defenses, so Thunder Wave doesn't do much for it (except in rain, when there's a set in which t-wave is an option although you're generally better off with the set given if you're running Starmie in general), because that's better for more defensive Pokemon. It can run a Scald set, however, without any weather needed. Its purpose is to be a special attacker and Spin, for the most part, p much. It's better as a full on special attacker, due to its speed and power in general, and just hope Thunderbolt paralyses something instead. However, as for Psychic, generally Psyshock does better in OU as it hits things like Chansey/Blissey, however for the most part the extra coverage of Psychic-attacks aren't that necessary as it doesn't really hit notable things that much.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Starmie doesn't have the best Defenses, so Thunder Wave doesn't do much for it (except in rain, when there's a set in which t-wave is an option although you're generally better off with the set given if you're running Starmie in general), because that's better for more defensive Pokemon. It can run a Scald set, however, without any weather needed. Its purpose is to be a special attacker and Spin, for the most part, p much. It's better as a full on special attacker, due to its speed and power in general, and just hope Thunderbolt paralyses something instead. However, as for Psychic, generally Psyshock does better in OU as it hits things like Chansey/Blissey, however for the most part the extra coverage of Psychic-attacks aren't that necessary as it doesn't really hit notable things that much.

Ok one last question. What about moves like Reflect, Light screen, or Protect?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Ok one last question. What about moves like Reflect, Light screen, or Protect?

It can use them, but other Pokemon are better at that really. Like Espeon for example can set up Light Screen and Reflect with Light Clay, and then bounces hazards back at the opponent, and so on. Starmie doesn't have that much specifically that'd make it want to use said moves more than being a powerhouse when other Pokemon can do much better. Protect has no real use as Starmie outspeeds a lot of opponents anyway and can just attack first, plus they might set up on that turn, etc.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
EV distributions. I have a modest Magnemite. I want to make Trick Room resistant. So im not building its speed, but making its Sp atk 252. Want to know how I should divide out its Def and Sp Def. I would like to boost those

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
EV distributions. I have a modest Magnemite. I want to make Trick Room resistant. So im not building its speed, but making its Sp atk 252. Want to know how I should divide out its Def and Sp Def. I would like to boost those

Just focus on HP (252 HP/4 Def/252 SAtk); Magnezone's defenses are naturally high anyway. A Quiet nature with 0 Speed IVs are also preferred on special attacking Trick Room mons so that they can outspeed as many Pokemon as they can under Trick Room.

Murt93

Battle Amateur
Years
Weavile help

Hey thought I'd post here and see would anyone be able to help me out
I've decided that I'm going to breed a weavile for the first time and I did some searching around for move sets ev spreads e.t.c. And I'm kinda in a rut please keep in mind this is gen 4 what I need help with is the ev spread because from what I've read the standard spread is jolly with 216 Evs? Why not adamant with 252 in speed? Or jolly with 252 won't he be outsped with only an investment of 216? Also the moveset I've decided to run is ice punch night slash fake out and ice shard with either life orb or choice band I might consider pursuit over ice shard but I haven't decided on any other team members yet also in soul silver I can give it 31 ivs in one stat so which one is more important attack or speed? I've never made a weavile before so help would be greatly appreciated thank you :)

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Hey thought I'd post here and see would anyone be able to help me out
I've decided that I'm going to breed a weavile for the first time and I did some searching around for move sets ev spreads e.t.c. And I'm kinda in a rut please keep in mind this is gen 4 what I need help with is the ev spread because from what I've read the standard spread is jolly with 216 Evs? Why not adamant with 252 in speed? Or jolly with 252 won't he be outsped with only an investment of 216? Also the moveset I've decided to run is ice punch night slash fake out and ice shard with either life orb or choice band I might consider pursuit over ice shard but I haven't decided on any other team members yet also in soul silver I can give it 31 ivs in one stat so which one is more important attack or speed? I've never made a weavile before so help would be greatly appreciated thank you :)

It's 40/252/216 because the extra 40 that goes into its HP helps it take more Life Orb recoil.

Anyway, Weavile already has huge attack and speed stats that are pretty even so it's hard to say what would be best to give the Iv to. I guess attack would be the best bet since you'll be getting the most out of your moves.

Murt93

Battle Amateur
Years
Ah I see thank you at 216 Evs is it fast enough? I'll use that spread first to test it out sure I can always make another one thanks for your help :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
How does one get properly get a 31 Iv pokemon? All the pokemon I have has sub par or poor IVs

When you catch/receive a Pokémon, the 31 IV is generated at random, as do all other IVs.

You have a higher chance of getting 31 IVs when you're breeding at least 1 parent that has a 31 IV (1 IV from each parent is randomly chosen and passed down, along with a third chosen by a random parent, to the offspring; the other 3 IVs are randomly generated). To guarantee that the IV will be passed down, have the parent hold the appropriate Power item:
-Power Weight = HP
-Power Bracer = Attack
-Power Belt = Defense
-Power Lens = Special Attack
-Power Band = Special Defense
-Power Anklet = Speed

Back