• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2013
^Sometimes if you add more Pokemon than they had originally it messes stuff up. Keep him to two, just change those.

pkemaniac999

in need of help for a hack, pm
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2015
hello! i havent been to the forum in a while, but now that im here, im a noob again...
i need to ask a hard question,
an experienced GSC hacker can probably answer this, i need to change the breeding groups in Silver to give mewtwo and mew the abillity to breed and produce offspring. How can i do this using hex?
thanks!

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
But i took away from Lt. Surge and it worked perfectly fine.

Taking away is fine, adding is a problem, without repointing, adding new pokemon, or letting the pokemon have custom moves when they normally don't, will overwrite data in the ROM and whatnot, so you've gotta repoint.

Or at least I think that was the problem... could be wrong...

Thrasher24

~Legendary Master~
Years
Taking away is fine, adding is a problem, without repointing, adding new pokemon, or letting the pokemon have custom moves when they normally don't, will overwrite data in the ROM and whatnot, so you've gotta repoint.

Or at least I think that was the problem... could be wrong...

I did repoint, that was the only way to save, how can i reset brock where he'll work again? (w.o. reseting WHOLE mod)

also, how make it so that i start the game with national dex? (or who ever is playing)

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I did repoint, that was the only way to save, how can i reset brock where he'll work again? (w.o. reseting WHOLE mod)

also, how make it so that i start the game with national dex? (or who ever is playing)

Has the actual script changed in any way? Open it in a scripting program and see if anything is out of place for some mystifying reason.

In FR/LG the command 'setflag 0x16F' activates the national Pokedex.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I have "Advance-Text" which is a less complicated way. (no hex needed)
Nothing in Text has changed either.

Advance Text isn't a scripting program where you can look at and change commands - It is a text editing program where you can only change what a charcter says. Good scripting programs such as XSE rarely use HEX anyway (It is basically only used in the #raw command for which information is easily accessible).

fengshen

fengshen113
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2012
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm trying to hack a Yellow ROM now. I want to change the moves of the pokemons used by gym leaders but I find it difficult to do so.

In GSC and later generations, the pokemons of gym leaders are usually setup in a format like (PKMNLVL PKMN MOVE MOVE MOVE MOVE). In this way I can modify the pokemon's moveset by searching the codes of the moves with a Hex Editor. However I fail to do this in a RBY ROM. Even though the pokemons of gym leaders in RBY do have special moves, the trainer data contains nothing about the moves but (PKMNLVL PKMN). And the Hex Editor find nothing when I enter the codes of those moves. It seems in the 1st generation that the moves of a trainer's pokemons are encoded and located in other parts of the ROM.

Does anyone know where I can find the codes of the moveset? Thanks a lot.

Washibon

---
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
Hey~!
I recently edited a tile in Advance Map, and when I played the rom, my hero was under the tile/not showing up. I tried playing around with the options in the block builder, but so far no luck. Any ideas?

Years
In the block editor, select your tile, and in the second input box for the tile's behaviour byte, put $20. This behaviour byte means the tile is covered by the player. If it doesn't require both layers, however, just put it on the bottom layer and make the top layer transparent (if you were to insert a path tile or something, for example).

Thrasher24

~Legendary Master~
Years
Advance Text isn't a scripting program where you can look at and change commands - It is a text editing program where you can only change what a charcter says. Good scripting programs such as XSE rarely use HEX anyway (It is basically only used in the #raw command for which information is easily accessible).

Than, how do I use it and how can it change my "Brock" problem?

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm trying to hack a Yellow ROM now. I want to change the moves of the pokemons used by gym leaders but I find it difficult to do so.

In GSC and later generations, the pokemons of gym leaders are usually setup in a format like (PKMNLVL PKMN MOVE MOVE MOVE MOVE). In this way I can modify the pokemon's moveset by searching the codes of the moves with a Hex Editor. However I fail to do this in a RBY ROM. Even though the pokemons of gym leaders in RBY do have special moves, the trainer data contains nothing about the moves but (PKMNLVL PKMN). And the Hex Editor find nothing when I enter the codes of those moves. It seems in the 1st generation that the moves of a trainer's pokemons are encoded and located in other parts of the ROM.

Does anyone know where I can find the codes of the moveset? Thanks a lot.
Pointers to trainer data are at 0x39D3B in Red; the actual data appear a little later.

There are two types of trainers.

If the first byte is $FF, then every next two bytes are a level and species. These trainers will use special moves.
If the first byte is not $FF, then it represents the level and all following bytes are species.

How the game adds special moves to a team is more complicated, and I won't go into it in this post. However, it is much easier in Yellow than in Red. You can read more details here, here, and here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back