• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 15, 2012
Hey, don't hate! I'm really bad at the slots... I can't win anything...
We have to write a "Definition Essay" for literature and it has to be somewhat personal... SoOoOoOoOooooo, I'm writing the first ever definitive essay of the term "Shiny Hunter." I hope that its selected for reading in front of the class. It will blow their minds!
Spoiler! Rough draft of introductary paragraphessay:
ryan's Shiny Hunter Essay said:
Ryan FitzGerald
Contemporary Literature Period 5
3/21/06
Definition Essay
Shiny Hunter​
"Shiny hunter" is not a term that you are going to find in a dictionary. This is an obscure term used to describe obscure people who belong to an obscure group. The only place that this term exists is in the 19,247th thread of a message board called, "PokéCommunity." This thread is called, "The Shiny Hunters Club" and it is where over 200 of the worlds most dedicated "shiny hunters" gather to communicate online. The first thing that you might be wondering is, "What is PokéCommunity?" PokéCommunity (commonly referred to as "PC") is one of the largest Pokémon message boards on the internet. There are nearly 2 million members. The Shiny Hunters Club is only part of this empire; it (like most of the threads at PC) is about Pokémon, more specifically, the collecting of shiny pokémon. If that makes absolutely no sense to you, worry not, because you are about to be treated to the most thorough description of shiny hunters the world has ever seen.
In order to get a firm grasp on what a Shiny Hunter is, it is important that the Pokémon game series is understood. Basically, Pokémon is a video game that was initially released in February of 1996 in Japan by Nintendo. In the games, the hero is on a mission to travel throughout his country collecting and battling pokémon. Pokémon are animated monsters that bear some semblance to real animals. In the games, the player must capture them, raise them, and fight other pokémon with them until they have become the best "Pokémon Trainer" in the nation and have collected all 150 species.
The first games were released on Nintendo's oldest handheld console, GameBoy. GameBoy did not display color, so the first few Pokémon games were colorless. Once Nintendo developed the GameBoy Color, the sequels to the original games could contain colorful pokémon. In these games, the developers decided to incorporate a little extra color; they made it so that there was a one in 8,192 chance that each pokémon the player encountered would have an alternate color scheme. For example, a Pokémon Trainer could be searching for wild pokémon around the Ruins of Alph and encounter a wild Wooper (a blue fish pokémon that can walk on land), but there would be a one in 8,192 chance that this Wooper would not be blue, rather it would be purple (and it would sparkle). The pokémon with the alternate color schemes are called, "shiny pokémon." Shiny pokémon are coveted and obsessed over by "shiny hunters."
As the name, "shiny hunter" suggests, shiny hunters look for shiny pokémon. They are motivated by different reasons. Many people have encountered shiny pokémon accidentally and become fascinated with them either because of frustration over letting them escape or because when they captured one, a strong, unexplainable feeling of want for more swept over them. Others hunt for shinies because they dislike the way the regular pokémon look. There are also some who hunt just because they live such sad lives that they cannot think of anything better to do. But most of the shiny hunters look for shiny pokémon because they are incredibly rare, and are "good for bragging." This is how the Shiny Hunters Club began; as a competition among fans of shiny pokémon to see who could capture them first. It has since developed into a more cooperative group that encourages its members in their hunting efforts.
Shiny Hunters are, primarily, friendly nerds. They are nerdy because they spend time playing Pokémon and posting on Pokémon message boards. Society would tend to file both of these activities under, "DEFINATLY NERDY." These people also have no reason to put each other down because they realize that they are part of an unarguably nerdy group and that any putdown they apply could be thrown right back at them, ergo friendliness through fear of humliation. Because of this, The Shiny Hunters Club tends to be a very positive environment where people can discuss their frustrations over how the odds are piled up against them, offer each other encouragement, discuss methods of hunting, and celebrate captures.
You are most likely thinking, "Shiny hunting sounds like absolutely zero fun." You are, for the most part, correct. Shiny hunting is not fun. Many people get discouraged and quit or at least go on extended hiatuses. However, most successful shiny hunters find that once they finally secure some shiny pokémon, they are so excited that their investment of time seems well spent. Shiny hunters must be very patient, and possess long periods of time with nothing demanding their full attention. The lessons of patience that shiny hunting requires its followers to learn are beneficial life skills.
One of the most patient people in the world is Ryan. He is the owner of The Shiny Hunters Club. If you would like to see for yourself what Ryan and the other shiny hunters are really like, the best way to do that would be to study them in their natural environment. You can do so at this address: http:/pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19247
It isn't perfect; it's actually pretty awkward! But it's like 2:45 PM here, so I'm gonna cut myself a bit of slack. I'll correct it/embelish it tomorrow after school!
Feel free to proofread it and give me any constructive criticism!

Last edited:

Kuri-Chan ♪

Crystal Trainer
Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2008
Oh. Sorry MM. I just saw an old thread of it and must've thought it was the only one xDDD

shido

Blood Sucker
Years
wow ryan i hope your ready for nonstop "there goes the pokemon nerd les get him!!) cuz thats wuts gonna happen lol i remember once i did an essay on ffX and most ppl looked at me weird . didnt matter to me cuz i am who i am an dont care wut other ppl think , plus i met some cute gamer girls ;) but back to the point yer stuff is true basicly . i shiny hunt for the right to brag and i pride myself in my collection and the time ive put into collecting (evn tho it isnt the biggest ).

on that note good luck hunting

* no shiny mudkip chimecho or water pk from fishing

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 15, 2012
Naw, my class is all about accepting people who are different. There shouldn't be a problem. Earlier during this unit I wrote about my part in the Harry Potter fandom; it was perhaps nerdier than this. People had no problem with that, so I'm not worried! Also... I wear a Power Rangers: Dino Thunder backpack with a Gengar pin... So if they don't know that I'm a bit of a dork for little-kid stuff by now... then the joke's on them.

shido

Blood Sucker
Years
OOOOOOOO HELLLLLLLL YEAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHINY MUDKIP RIGHT NOW

my friend said " watch my squirtle not be shiny " aND BOOM MY MUDkIP IS SHINNYYYY I LOVE MUDKIP !!!!!!!!!! MUDKIPPPPP MUDKIPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOOOh dont add mudkip to my shc card cuz im not sure if im going to evolve it yet its a hasty nature whih isnt the best but i have ot check its ivs first

" MUKIP MUD " HEHEHEHE MUAHAHAHAHAHA MUDKIP MY FIRST WATER SHINY YAY!!!!!!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 15, 2012
Congrats on the Mudkip! That's not the prettiest shiny form... but shiny is shiny!
*Doesn't understand MM's post*
Out of curiosity... how many of you have a box in your PC called, "Shiny" or "Shinies" or something to that extent? I know I do! It's a lonely box with only 3 'mons...

Lady Demoonica Darkmoon

Shiny Hunters Club Co-Owner
Years
I would never have had the nerv to do a essay on anything to do with Pokemon, it would have been a death wish at my high school. I was the geeky girl (I wore a Sailor Moon T-shirt all through school and will admit to owning a Yu-Gi-Oh sweatshirt right now.) in a group of geeky guys, the few other girls who were part of the group was by being girlfriends, I was thought of as one of the guys. (Worst position ever.)

I have a box named 'SHINY' on Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, where all mine are now housed.

CONGRADULATION shido on the Shiny Mudkip!

LDD's update:

Friend's Sapphire - 114 Surskit, no shiny.

PXD:GoD - My Shiny Mightyena is on level 91.

Years
Lady Demoonica Darkmoon said:
Friend's Sapphire - 114 Surskit, no shiny.
Congratulations on reaching the 75th percentile with no shinies! That's quite an accomplishment. ;)

ryan, what I was talking about was how when restarting for a Hoenn starter, you must enter a battle with it against a wild Pokémon. There's a 50% chance that the first shiny you see will be the wild poke you're battling rather than your starter.

On the quest for a Zangoose: In the time between classes (like 3 hours), I explored Bayshore shopping centre, and discovered another EB Games! I didn't do any talking and didn't discover any Pokéfans, but it's a start. I also saw one person at the university with a GBASP, but no wireless adapter, and likely not Pokémon. If I DID see someone with a WA-bearing GBA, at this point in time, I WOULD be gutsy enough to ask, "excuse me, would you happen to have a Zangoose?"

Come to think of it, I should raise a legion of Lunatones and Slowbro/kings as more version-exclusive barter to offer in exchange. That might convince them to give up their precious Zangeese more readily. This quest still seems rather futile... -.-

Years
MM i hope you find that zangoose and you know something im gonna try to make a card for your PC or MAC and it will have a link cable port and a special program so people can trade over the internet and i will make a random number generator that when a pokemon is traded and the number is 2974 that pokemon will become shiney i might not do the RNG part but you will be able to battle

Years
We already have that; it's called an XBOO cable. GBA link at one end, serial port at the other. All we need is the software. o_0

Anyway, your random shinyification's a bad idea. A poke made shiny by such means WOULDN'T count in this club. In fact, the only way I'd count such trading as legitimate is if extreme measures were taken to deter cheating. I mean, doing everything possible to keep duplication and data alteration out of the mix. Also a refusal to accept .SAV files for data input.

Years
well its not for the club its for the sake of randomness i mean everything has randomness i love randomness but like i said i might not do that and where the hell did you get that XBOO cable, ebay?

Years
I don't have one; it's a design by Martin Korth (of the No$ series of emulators). He has instructions on how to splice a GBA cable. You might be able to purchase them on the same sorts of sites you'd find flash carts and the like. It's generally designed to help developers write multiboot programs, but it can be used for any sort of linking with the right software.

Years
ohhhhhhhhh ok but i still want to make one that is for strictley for linking between 2 or more GBA depending on the game and maybe create a game similer to pokemoncrater.com for people to play pokemon games online and maybe some others but i dont know it really just a pipe dream im hopeing to make it but like i said i dont know

shido

Blood Sucker
Years
i saw poochyena shiny twice lol but it was worth it !!! woo hoooooo !!! now its time to get back on the hunt havent decided what to hunt so for the moment anything is game ~looks for random shiny ~

decided not to evolve mudkip the ivs arent that good plus i like the way mudkip looks shiny

good luck on all your hunts!

BG pokemon freak

Has 6 Shiny pokemon ... YAY
Years
yeah congrats shido !!!

Btw I can't understand why I ceep seeng shinyes all around me but not in my game ???
There is a white pidgeon that lives in a tree neer by.
I found a spring flower which is supposed to be blue and only blue even it's name has blue in it but it was white :P
I saw a white Swellow (I forgot how to write the real bird's name)
what else ??? I was going to write about another thing but .....
that's quite it ! WHY ?!?!?!?!?! does it happen to me :P
I play my game and when I stop I see shinyes :P it's not fair !!! ha

MOON~DANCER

All I've got is insane.
Years
Croc055 said:
Oh Yeah! I got a shiny Pikachu. (Sorry I havn't posted in a while):disappoin
hey where did you find it and on what game cause i want one!!! my best pikachu is lvl 100 but i wanna shiny one:D my rarest shiny besides my shiny legendaries is my shiny absol!!

Back