• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[Game Maker]Ode to Zelda GB

Koh

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2011
OtzGB-9.png

HISTORY
I started making this years ago. It's literally so close to being done that all I have to do is the final boss, ending sequence, and credits. However, at one point, the game kept giving me an unexpected error upon every attempt of a test. Soon after, my laptop crashed, and I had all but forgotten that I had a backup on one of the online file-sharing sites. So because of that incident, I had to stop working on it through the lack of a computer. Then, as a reminder that it was one of my attempted projects, I posted it in my list of scrapped games and engines. I found it yesterday on one of the file-sharing sites I use as a back-up and found out that this one doesn't give the unexpected error. So, still so close to the goal, I decided I'll finish this up to add to my list of completed games ;).

INFO
About the Whole Game...
This game is an enhanced remake of what was once an online arcade game called "Ode to Zelda." It featured a small world that used edited "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past" sprites. Believe it or not, you could probably clear the whole game in under 2 hours.

About Heart Containers...
You can obtain a total of 16 heart containers, all of which are acquired in a certain order. Feel like you missed some? Kill all the enemies on the screen for any heart container availible there to appear.

About Magic Containers...
These, unlike Heart Containers, aren't required to be obtained in order, however, they are hidden in various places. Blast all rocks and pound all stakes to find them all!

About Sword Upgrades...
The first upgrade of the sword (Iron Sword) is hidden in a cave. The last upgrade of the sword (Master Sword) is hidden on the overworld.

About the Controls...
Here is a list of the in-game controls:
Z: Use Sword.
X: Use selected item.
Enter: Open Inventory/Pause the game.
Ctrl: Take a screenshot (These seem to be in PNG format, but are actually in BMP format, so before uploading them somewhere, save them as a proper PNG image file).

SCREENSHOTS
VERSION B
OtZGA.png

VERSION A
OtzGB.png
OtzGB-1.png
OtzGB-2.png
OtzGB-3.png
OtzGB-4.png
OtzGB-5.png
OtzGB-6.png
OtzGB-7.png
OtzGB-8.png

VIDEOS

ORIGINAL (NOT MINE)

DOWNLOAD
Old to Zelda GB Download

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Windows XP or later.
256 MB of RAM.

For 'An unexpected error occured while running the game.' recipients...
Check THIS and THIS on that situation. I already unchecked all Preload boxes, and this game doesn't use MP3's.

YOUR PART
Since the game is near completion, I would like to hear any suggestions, ideas for Ganon, and feedback. Enjoy the game ;)!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Oh, wow, this is really neat! It's a shame that non-Pokemon games get so little attention on this forum. I'm gonna download it now and tell you my thoughts. From the videos, it looks really well-crafted, so kudos to you!

EDIT: Downloaded and played. It seems to work fairly well, although it would help to have some more explanation of the controls in-game. (yes, I know they're simple, but the name menu in particular is unclear.) I encountered a large problem with the sound, though. Keep in mind my computer's been having issues with sound before this, but in this case I think it's the game that's at fault. Every time a sound effect played-- such as swinging my sword-- the game would lag and the BGM would restart. It made it hard to keep playing. Can you fix this?

Last edited:

Koh

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2011
Now that isn't supposed to happen, and I've NEVER had that problem, so I don't even know what to fix. It might be your sound card, because you're the only one so far who has had that problem with this o.o.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I've moved the thread into the Showcase because it obviously has enough progress.

On the game itself, I only played a couple of minutes and I agree that there should be some sort of in-game explanation of the controls, because the ones that are used don't come naturally to some.

Gmack

I'm back!
Years
Wow! This game is really great! Also, thanks for posting those scrapped games and engines. I really needed a Zelda engine.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
Years
Damn, a game that looks half interesting, and I can't even play it. May try on another laptop later. Did you make the original or is this a fangame of a fangame?

Koh

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2011
It's a fan-game of a fan-game, since you put it that way xD. Well, I need to finish up Link's new sprites, then move on. I was considering, since this version is near completion although it doesn't work for many, slapping Ganon in there with an ending sequence, then releasing that. And later on, release the second version, which will be WAY better with a heckload more content. Sounds like a plan, or should I just wait until I finish (or post updates of) Version B?

me2hack

Graphics Artist
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2011
This makes me think back to "Zelda and the Oracle of.."
Good memories. I see that the tileset is similar, did you use them form that game line?
I'm really looking forward to this. Might edit this with ideas for Ganon.

Back