• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Rocket

Years
  • Age 35
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 20, 2015
Jessie, James, and Meowth were always known to me as the 3 stooges of the series. Their failed attempts to capture Pikachu and other Pokémon, as well as "blasting off", were the main laughs of the series. However, their recent change of character has kind of troubled me. Instead of gradually learning to "get serious", it seems as if they have just flip-flopped, and they don't even show up that often. They aren't even the slightest bit funny anymore. I still see some failed attempts to make them a little amusing, but it's just a complete change of pace. I will say though, it's about time they are able to fulfill actual missions set by their boss. I wondered when I would ever see that. Anyways, how do you feel about Team Rocket's change of character?

Mentalii

Back
Years
I don't know what to think about that... Changement is a good thing, and I was fed up to see TR always acting the same way in each episode. During the 1st season, it was funny, but then became boring.
But now they've changed, I miss the former Team Rocket. Their relationship doesn't evolve anymore, and that's also a pity.
I love them, really, so I'm sad to say that but I think they have had their day. We need new characters to my mind (not only TR, I'm among the people that think they should change Ash too).

Years
I liked Team Rocket better when they provided comedy relief but I find it so weird they didn't appear in every BW episode so far.

I really didn't like their change of personality.

Years
The personalities they have now actually mirror their personalities when they first appear, and when you think of that flashback episode showing their training they were always good at being bad. They were just always thwarted by ash and his group being superior trainers.

What I will say is that the sudden jump doesn't work, from where they were at the end of Gen IV to now makes no sense.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I loved the dramatic change in Team Rocket coming in to the new series, I thought they were much more effective bad guys as a result of it. Their characters were vastly improved and the whole show was improved a lot. I'm just upset that it arguably didn't last since they seem to be getting closer to how they used to be in the more recent episodes D: (Not that they're in too many of them :p) I love when they're being serious and working towards missions and I really hope they continue their new behaviour; plus they're getting much closer to completing a lot of their missions which is nice to see. Would you ever expect the old Team Rocket to be able to awake the legendary Kami Pokémon? :p

Years
What I think about the current version of TR can be summed up on 2 words; bad idea. Admittedly, I can't blame them for trying out new stuff with characters, but this experiment of theirs is just not working out well at all. Being serious cost Jessie her bossiness, James his ridiculousness, and Meowth his cattiness. It meant there would be no more hair brained ideas, petty arguments, sneaking around derpily. Pretty much everything that made their characters was thrown out. Now lets look at the benefits. We got villains who were serious about doing evil, yet hardly showed up or put up a fight before fleeing on those jetpacks. Now imagine if they even WERE competent and the organization as a whole was a serious threat in the region. Would it all be worth it? If you ask me, they ought to fix them back up to their funny selves and forget this experiment ever happened.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
I have mixed feelings. I love that they've gone back to the way they were back during the extremely early Kanto episodes, but at the same time, it feels too late. It's been over a decade and I've gotten used to Team Rocket as comic-relief, sometimes sympathetic anti-villains. If this had happened during Hoenn's semi-reboot at the same time they began to make Ash into a tolerable character, then I would be celebrating.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Team Rocket's change of character disgusts me. Although it's enjoyable to watch them succeed, it's very annoying how there isn't as much fun in the show as their once was. They were the main source of laughter for me in the anime. :(
This change, along with removing Brock and Ash becoming a total bimbo, turned me off Best Wishes. :|

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I think it completely ruined the show because everyone loved the old funny Team Rocket.
Same for me. Team Rocket was my main reason for watching the anime. Every single joke (either good or bad) always brought a laugh for me.

Once I started watching a few episodes from B&W (they are on very early on Saturdays, I'm not a morning person) and they are all serious now.

I miss the old Team Rocket trio.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Ive stopped watching the show since it went over to CN. Dont have cable and I started getting put off the Team Rocket when they started having voice changes. When Anime character voices change by choice or otherwise. It doesnt make it feel or seem the same.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I hate they're new character. They aren't even funny anymore they just seem more like idiots more. I liked them back in the good ol' days in Kanto, Johto, and Orange Islands.

Back