• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Which ROM Base to use?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 26, 2017
I'm sort-of a beginner at Rom Hacks, and I am starting work on a new hack right now. I really like the graphics and music of Emerald, so I really want to hack Emerald, but it seems a lot of people use Fire Red, and there are more tutorials for Fire Red. What are the advantages of Fire Red? Should I use Fire Red instead of Emerald, or is Emerald still a good ROM base to use?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
The main advantages of Firered are pretty much just what you said. There are a lot more tutorials for Firered, many tools have better support for it and it's just more widely used. Emerald is better than Firered engine-wise, and it has features like the contests, secret bases, battle frontier, animated sprites, etc. If those sorts of things interest you Emerald is a great rom base to use, but if you are a beginner I would recommend Firered. It'll make hacking a lot easier for you since with Emerald you have to deal with things like the limited free space and bad support with a lot of older tools. Good luck!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 26, 2017
I should probably go with Fire Red since I am a beginner, and I don't care mush for including contests, secret bases, battle frontier, animated sprites, etc. in my game. The main reason I originally wanted to use Emerald was because I like the graphics and music a lot more than FireRed/LeafGreen. If I use FireRed as a base, I guess I can sacrifice having Emerald's better graphics, but do you think I could use Hoenn music in a Fire Red hack? I've heard of music editing tools.

Ganelon

The British Jedi
Years
do you think I could use Hoenn music in a Fire Red hack? I've heard of music editing tools.

You can put whatever music you want into your ROM; just look up a tutorial or two on it. There are loads of sites with all the Pokemon midi tracks. Make sure you're downloading the right thing and using the right tool and it's super easy.

Back