• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Red/Blue - Gen. II Graphics And Music Patch V2.0 [FINAL VERSION RELEASED]

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
No, both Brown and Yellow are too different from Red and this patch is not compatible.

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2014
Aw that's a shame! Do you plan on doing a Yellow version? If not, could you explain how to do it? I'd love to have a go at trying it. Yellow is my favourite game and to do that would be amazing.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
That is awesome :D

You think you be able to make it so the EXP bar would actually fill up when you gain EXP? I mean seems kinda of pointless the see it there and not see the EXP Bar raise.

Thanks!

About the exp bar, I'm working on it! It's much more complicated than adding a tile based on whether or not you've caught a Pokémon.

Well, I finally did it!

The code for the exp bar is here: https://github.com/dannye/pokered-gen-II/commit/a59779093d5de28274ed261a8f04130735eb1cf2

Minato Riku

My Japanese Sweetheart
Years
Danny-E 33 what a amazing hack of this version it replace old palletes into new one and also the graphics,music and SFX from Pokemon GSC versions....BTW I suggest can you added the color ALA "GBC" of this hack it will be colorful and even more nostalgic and enjoyable I assure that matee...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Mar 22, 2014
Hey Danny, Congratulations on the exp bar hack! Will you be implementing this into the patch soon? I've tried to import the code myself, but I'm afraid it's a bit beyond my technical expertise.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Danny-E 33 what a amazing hack of this version it replace old palletes into new one and also the graphics,music and SFX from Pokemon GSC versions....BTW I suggest can you added the color ALA "GBC" of this hack it will be colorful and even more nostalgic and enjoyable I assure that matee...
Thanks! But Drenn already turned this hack of mine into a full CGB game! http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/3399/

Hey Danny, Congratulations on the exp bar hack! Will you be implementing this into the patch soon? I've tried to import the code myself, but I'm afraid it's a bit beyond my technical expertise.
Yeah, sorry. I will soon. I just want to fix the SGB border before I release the next update, cause I messed that up a while ago apparently.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Well, I just uploaded version 1.4! As promised, this includes a fix to the SGB border and the fully functional experience bar!

Roger Davis

Goofball
Years
I just want to say thanks for putting so much work into this! Replaying Pokemon Red in Gen 2 graphics has been a dream of mine for ages.

Just wondering, would this patch work for a Pokemon Blue game as well, or just Red? (Like I know a Fire Red patch wouldn't work on Leaf Green, but generation 1 is a lot different from generation 3, and since the games are close to identical aside from wild Pokemon, I thought I'd ask.)

Sorry if that's kind of a dumb question. Either way, great work!

Are you planning to maybe implement a slight bit more gsc music in the future, like for instance, Route 3?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
I just want to say thanks for putting so much work into this! Replaying Pokemon Red in Gen 2 graphics has been a dream of mine for ages.

Just wondering, would this patch work for a Pokemon Blue game as well, or just Red? (Like I know a Fire Red patch wouldn't work on Leaf Green, but generation 1 is a lot different from generation 3, and since the games are close to identical aside from wild Pokemon, I thought I'd ask.)

Sorry if that's kind of a dumb question. Either way, great work!

Are you planning to maybe implement a slight bit more gsc music in the future, like for instance, Route 3?
I'm glad I can help make your dreams come true! d:

Yes, this patch works on blue. The only side affect is that it makes 'Blue Version' on the title screen appear red.

Yes I plan to add the rest of the GSC Kanto music.
Great work with EXP bar. But it still colour less outside the battle. You think about colorize that rom also outside the battle?
Please read my post above. I have already stated that Drenn has made this exact hack into a full CGB game. http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/3399/

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Just uploaded V1.5 which fixes a bug pointed out by 80C which screws up the exp bar if you used Transform.

Sorry to those 35 people who downloaded V1.4 in the short time that it was up.

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2015
You say that Drenn made this into a cgb game, but the music patch isn't part of it. The music part is the best part. Could you talk to Drenn and ask him to implement the music patch into it?

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2017
ask drenn if he could implement your latest gfx and sfx patch(v5) into his full color hack.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
You say that Drenn made this into a cgb game, but the music patch isn't part of it. The music part is the best part. Could you talk to Drenn and ask him to implement the music patch into it?

ask drenn if he could implement your latest gfx and sfx patch(v5) into his full color hack.

Drenn has been too busy to work on implementing the newer Graphics Patch features into his Full GBC hack, so I took the time to do it myself.
My source code for the Full GBC hack is here.

His hack's thread now has been updated with the Full GBC hack that has all the features all the way up to V1.5 of the Graphics patch.

Although, one cool difference is that the experience bar is now blue since the GBC game can handle more palettes.

Pokemon Red Full Color Hack Thread

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Yes, there is a Blue version if you really want it. I figured there wouldn't be a much of a demand. Blue can be built from the source code:
https://github.com/dannye/pokered-gen-II
Or I can supply you with an. ips for Blue if you'd like.

(Although, the full GBC version already has a Blue version posted)

Last edited:
Back