• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: [Hack of the Year 2011] Pokémon Ruby Destiny - Life of Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2016
Guys, don't argue with idiots. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Anywho. First and foremost, congratulations on a great hack. Really, really enjoyed it; I love that
Spoiler:

Team Earth, and to an extent the Dark Organization, had depth, instead of just the over-the-top villain thing the main Pokemon series used, so another kudos to you on that.

Anyway, onto my question: I completed the Dragon Castle event, battled Beatrice and Light, but Princess Alice is still not in the Leon Castle in front of her father, even though the various Youtube playthroughs and general Google results suggested otherwise. Is this a bug? ):

Firstly go to the Tower of Fate above Silkwind Town, and speak with Chaomega. Then go to Lost Shadow Valley.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 4, 2020
1) How exactly are the sprites horrible? I do acknowledge that Jagold recycled quite a lot of sprites, but the ones that were custom-made were quite polished.

2) To me, the fakemon sort of stood out as their style was somewhat different than Game Freak's, but many of the fakemon sprites (especially Felinar) were stellar.

3) And what did you expect? Most hacks do not even change the music. Expecting a fan-game to have an original piece that rivals the work of somebody such as Uematsu is a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

4) To me, Ruby Destiny's plot was better than many of the main series' plots. Most of the official games use the same old formula, but Jagold broke the formula, refused to focus on the badge quest, and even added a web of gambits between the characters. Not to mention that creating a fork in the story is something that not even Game Freak has even thought of doing in a main-series game.

5) Balance? You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means. Rant about the final battles and the side-quests as much as you like, the game was deliberately rigged to be challenging.

Plus, I've noticed how most of the forums kept picking on the badly-inserted Gen IV&Gen V sprites, which is sort if idiotic, at best.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realise having taste meant I have to like something as messy, broken, unfair and unpolished as this "hack."

Evidence for this? All the scripts work as intended, the difficulty curve is a little more elevated than the average Pokemon game.

Honestly, ever tried actually playing the game rather than nitpicking all of its flaws?

"All the scripts work as intended, the difficulty curve is a little more elevated than the average Pokemon game."

youtube.com/watch?v=RCathbp72d0&feature=plcp

yes this game is flawless and has no bugs everything works fine

As for music and sprites, I'll just leave these here for you to compare. The music and sprites are from Pokemon Vega and Touhou Puppet Play 1.812, and Life of Guardians.

imgur.com/a/8JPEW
youtube.com/watch?v=HFnHc7yT004
youtube.com/watch?v=J4y83-zI2Rk
youtube.com/watch?v=LFJdIzsjYpM
youtube.com/watch?v=flwJqAjt6N8&feature=plcp

And listing all the issues this game has with balance would take far too much time, so I'll just list a few things.

Iron Slash, Deep Water, Pyro Strike- All moves with absurd base power with little to no drawbacks
Flame Wheel TM- Even though Flamethrower exists
Icy Wind TM- Because Ice Beam ex-
No Ice Beam TM- siiiiiiiigh
Mega Punch and Mega Kick TMs- Because they aren't totally worthless moves?
>1000 BST Enemy-only super bosses- Because this is the only way to create difficulty and requiring the player to toxic everything is difficulty.

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013
so um

a friend of mine started playing this hack a few days ago

s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/topic/8720347/1/

I'm sure all of you will just defend this hack and its horrible qualities,(which isn't that surprising, I don't think Pokecommunity has ever produced a good hack) but seriously. Why do people like this hack? The sprites are horrible, the fakemon aren't well designed, a lot of the music is blatantly ripped from other games, the plot sounds like a piece of terrible fanfiction, and there is absolutely ZERO balance to the game. Yet it somehow won hack of the year (not that the other hacks were much better) and people still treat it like the best game ever made.

"All the scripts work as intended, the difficulty curve is a little more elevated than the average Pokemon game."

1)youtube.com/watch?v=RCathbp72d0&feature=plcp

yes this game is flawless and has no bugs everything works fine

As for music and sprites, I'll just leave these here for you to compare. The music and sprites are from Pokemon Vega and Touhou Puppet Play 1.812, and Life of Guardians.

2)imgur.com/a/8JPEW
youtube.com/watch?v=HFnHc7yT004
youtube.com/watch?v=J4y83-zI2Rk
youtube.com/watch?v=LFJdIzsjYpM
youtube.com/watch?v=flwJqAjt6N8&feature=plcp

3)
And listing all the issues this game has with balance would take far too much time, so I'll just list a few things.

Iron Slash, Deep Water, Pyro Strike- All moves with absurd base power with little to no drawbacks
Flame Wheel TM- Even though Flamethrower exists
Icy Wind TM- Because Ice Beam ex-
No Ice Beam TM- siiiiiiiigh
Mega Punch and Mega Kick TMs- Because they aren't totally worthless moves?
>1000 BST Enemy-only super bosses- Because this is the only way to create difficulty and requiring the player to toxic everything is difficulty.

1) Funny, this has never happened to me, nor to the majority of LoG players. Expecting a game to be 100% flawless is an idiotic stretch. Not even the official games are free of game-breaking bugs. Honestly, you're a clear genius if you know that all great games are bug-free, aren't you?

2) I'm aware how LoG has a few problems with the outlines. This alone does not simply make it a "sh**** game." Plus, you've only listed two different hacks that have better music and spriting than LoG. This alone does not make LoG "pure crap."

3) You pretty much need the absurd moves if you don't want to Toxic stall the super bosses, or have a good chance against the Master 17. Not to mentioned that most of the 1530 BST bosses are optional, which means that you don't need to face all bosses to beat the game. And I fail to see how the TM listing has anything to do with balance.

And honestly, you've repeatedly said that LoG is crap, yet you've only offered to give two counterexamples. If you'd really want to make a point, then you'd have given me a whole library of hacks that have professional-level songs and sprites. Seriously, just because LoG does not have the bests sprites nor the best songs does not mean the game is bad. Not to mention that you've yet to back up your claim that LoG's plot is like a fanfic written by a ten year-old.

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2015
what type is stormidran the mystery pokemon in the mineral cave located in bonquet field

Level 36ish. My Skarmory evolved at around that level.
ok thanks for the help Ach7AC

i lost on the aircraft because i didnt go to the aircraft then i was sent to team earth's base after i did that i went mt. krystal and i got stuck on the top with ranger leanna and kevin.
what do i supposed to do

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013
what type is stormidran the mystery pokemon in the mineral cave located in bonquet field

ok thanks for the help Ach7AC

i lost on the aircraft because i didnt go to the aircraft then i was sent to team earth's base after i did that i went mt. krystal and i got stuck on the top with ranger leanna and kevin.
what do i supposed to do

IIRC, Stormidran is Dragon/Electric. And did you choose the good side or the bad side?

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2015
i dont know because mark was saying something about you wont ruin our plans
but this time im going to finish the aircraft mission and then go to mt. krystal

how does magneton evolve what using the thunderstone

Last edited:

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
oh no my lp got linked here i guess i have to post now

Before anything else I will say that yes, this hack has a lot of content. There's a lot of new maps, custom trainers, and mons, and yes I'm aware that takes a lot of work to put together. It's also fairly stable for something so large- the camera breaking in the end-game was the only major thing I noticed that was clearly a glitch and not a design flaw. Unfortunately simply having a lot of stuff does *not* make it a good game.

The sprites are not good quality. I'm sorry if you think they are, but they're not- ???????? is simply a pair of red eyes on a black background which looks ridiculous, Zah is simply the same eyes on a black blotch of paint, and don't even get me started on the female PC's backsprite. A bunch of 4th and 5th gen mons also have shoddily resized sprites the most prominent being Giratina-A (a mandatory endgame fight).

imgur.com/a/pEmiM

(ignore the Lilligant back, I hacked that in because I didn't feel like grinding 40 levels to slog through postgame content when it just alternates between 1000+ BST and mega punch zoroarks)

The music is not good quality. Again I'm sorry if you think they are, but when you have at least five songs blatantly borrowed from unrelated mainstream commercial games and another one that consists of four high-pitched notes repeated, it gets annoying, especially to someone who is fond of RSE's vanilla soundtrack.

As for the balance- what balance? What difficulty? Half the time the hack is a joke because every other relevant trainer does nothing but Double Team, which is only an effective strategy if they only need one key miss to throw you off with it (see- the Battle Frontier). The ones that don't have Double Team usually have very poor (and often illegal for the player due to silly TM and TM compatibility choices) movesets- if you want challenge, why are there level 40 Floatzels using Sonicboom? Why are Gravelers using Flamethrower?

As for the moves- these make the game wildly imbalanced as the only relevant things are now mons which learn the broken TMs. Wanna use a Lunatone? Too bad, the only viable move it gets is non-STAB Iron Slash off its weaker attacking stat. Wanna use a Pidgeot? Too bad, it doesn't get any good moves whatsoever so you're basically punishing yourself for using it over something like Iron Slash Skarmiger, Vine Dance Exegglent, or Drought Pyro Strike Ninetales. When the new moves have base powers comparable to V-Create without any sort of downside, and are given to things with attacking stats stronger than Victini's (Exegglent has the same special as Chandelure for crying out loud!), do you seriously expect things to be fair and balanced? Note that balance does not mean it can be reasonably done- it means that everything is viable and has a niche. You shouldn't punish the player if they happen to like Crobat and want to have one on their team.

Not to mention in late post-game any strategy which relies on dealing raw damage is going to fail because there are a bunch of things have 255/255/255 bulk that takes ages to break down while you're being hit with moves off 255 attacking stats coming from 255 speed (which is faster than max speed Deoxys-S without EVs). This is not challenging- this is forcing the player to use specific mons. There are ways of creating challenge without giving things 1530 BST and dictating they use status to win- they're also known as the ways the main games create challenge. One of the better qualities of Pokemon is the mechanical symmetry between the player and the computer- they never use something that you won't be able to eventually. Throwing mons with straight 255s for base stats at the player that are 30 levels higher than the last thing they fought is not challenging- it's a check to see if you're carrying a Pokedoll or a status move that can kill it.

Finally the "plot"- I'd go into detail here but I think reading the Let's Play that DarkenedWolf linked will do a better job detailing my problems with it. For the most part, they broil down to it being filled with contrivances, massive walls of text, and far more characters than I can keep track of or care about.

A few more points- the lack of money is not challenge due to the fact that the player has access to Pickup Combee (in Ruby) and mini-games with absurdly high yields that you're effectively forced to play if you want any money at all. No, I do not expect a game to be 100% perfect, but I do expect there to be few enough problems with it that I cannot do a Let's Play where I am able to do almost nothing but gripe at the game. No, I do not consider graphics to be the most important part of the game, but when the graphics are so bad they distract from the game it becomes a problem. Back-tracking is a problem with gameplay when every route is full of unavoidable grass with encounters that waste your time and the game never bothers to tell you where to go outside of the hint rocks, which shouldn't be necessary (but are a nice feature). If you think that none of my arguments are valid and this is still the best hack ever, which is what some of you seem to be saying, then go on thinking it, but I strongly encourage you to raise your standards.

Oh, and to the people claiming Nuzlocke folks are hypocrites for blasting this and liking Vega and Touhoumon:

>The IPS file was linked instead of the thread because Nuzlocke Forums unfortunately doesn't allow people who haven't registered to view the board in which the hack was posted. It's Yet Another Fire Red hack, if you want to take a look (it's actually mine, and feel free to criticize it if you think it's bad)- I can't post it here because it doesn't do enough OW editing to qualify for Hacks Showcase but has a gym quest and is thus not allowed in Sideshow Showcase.
>Most of the problems with Vega emerge from the language barrier. It also provides reasonable challenges, unlike this one- there are exactly two fights with enemy-exclusive mons, one of which never goes above 600 BST and the other is the final post-game superboss. It also has much better sprites and music.
>OF COURSE the music in the Touhoumon games is all remixes of music from other games- that's because it's from Touhou. Vega also contain a few remixes of Pokemon music, which is fine- the problems come in when you shove Saria's Song and Lucca's theme in when your game has nothing to do with Zelda or Chrono Trigger.
>The edited Gardevoir sprite is actually an alternative evolution path for the line- it's supposed to resemble Gardevoir.
>This is criticism. Of course we're going to point out LOG's flaws and show how other games do better. I also do take the time to point out things I think LOG does well in the Let's Play- unfortunately they're few and far between, and basically amount to "It doesn't crash randomly."

Lastly I would like to thank PC's spam-protection for deleting my post for containing URLs that were relevant but not properly trimmed. That was real nice, I enjoy having to type things twice because my post-count is not high enough for such luxuries as linking to screenshots.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2015
I got 4 Pokemon on my current team:
Charizard
Golem
Magnezone
Lapras

I need a fast grass pokemon, and possibly a flying type or psychic or ghost

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
"Brace yourselves! A ****storm is brewing!"

...But seriously, this arguement is largely based on opinion, not fact. LoG isn't perfect, no game is. That doesn't mean we can take all flaws and call it crap while taking all good from others and all them brilliant. If you want a fair comparison, compare the good and bad of both. I see contradictions in both arguements. We have our favorites but that shouldn't mean we should glorify them and call others terrible. I am a fan of DJG's work but he's not a god or a noob.

For the people that criticize LoG, honestly, I want to call you haters and tell you to GTFO, but that'd be biased hate. We're all entitled to our own opinion. Just don't be an ass about it. (That applies to LoG fans too.)

Last edited:
Years
To the people talking about Touhou or whatever the hell, take it elsewhere. You're getting a bit rude, and while the original point was somewhat related to this hack, it's starting to stray. Having different opinions is fine, but don't let it lead to name calling and arguing about other things.

Now please, back on track please.

Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2013
Just started and I'm enjoying it so far. Though I wish the custom Pokemon were more common; I wanted a Chirpich, and was running around in the grass for a long time and never came across one. All I got were Pidgey and Furruny. Same with the Safari Zone; I was running around hoping to come across Stronthio, nope. Only got one and it ran. The rest of the pokemon were either Growlithe or Ponyta. I really want to try out these custom pokemon, but I can't because I can't get any!

Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2016
Just started and I'm enjoying it so far. Though I wish the custom Pokemon were more common; I wanted a Chirpich, and was running around in the grass for a long time and never came across one. All I got were Pidgey and Furruny. Same with the Safari Zone; I was running around hoping to come across Stronthio, nope. Only got one and it ran. The rest of the pokemon were either Growlithe or Ponyta. I really want to try out these custom pokemon, but I can't because I can't get any!

Are you sure you're looking in the right place for Chirpich? Have a look in the grass north of Silkwind Town. Hm...How about when you find a Stronthio or something else you want go to File->Save Game and select a file. Then you can just press F(number of file you saved on) and return to that moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back