• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Hey muffins! :D

I thought I'd pop in while I have the short time to be on PC tonight. That and I heard there was a sexy threesome! ;D

Which of your characters are you the most attached to? What's the story behind their creation?

I haven't written about him yet, but...

Ciaran- A shy young man living on his grandfather's farm in Civil War era Jhoto. Oh-so-innocent, knows what's right, and he be po. I got the name while rumaging through composers on my iPod. :D

I don't wanna give too much away since I don't know when I'll be doing this oneshot. :x

Edit: Lawl, TK. Cyrus looks wasted. xD

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I totally know what character you're talking about. XD

By the way, is it just my memory playing tricks or didn't a certain number of characters connected to said character use a Chinese dragon to send a message out? In a certain book series spun off from the original series? Involving a certain character whose name rhymes with "Spleen"? I dunno if that's supposed to be the interpretation of said character, but I'm not quite sure I can see paralells between him and Satan...

Spoiler:
Share this dragon
If you do
Lucky end
For me and you

With the whole "Satan as a dragon versus Michael", Michael is the angel of repentance. And zo-mah-gods, spoilers a-plenty if I keep talking. So maybe that could be some sort of connection with Michael and what he represents, and...

Why couldn't there be a class on this series? I might have actually passed a class for once.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
Share this dragon
If you do
Lucky end
For me and you

With the whole "Satan as a dragon versus Michael", Michael is the angel of repentance. And zo-mah-gods, spoilers a-plenty if I keep talking. So maybe that could be some sort of connection with Michael and what he represents, and...

Why couldn't there be a class on this series? I might have actually passed a class for once.

I actually got to take a course on it, but it was for a governor's school so I'll never see any credits from it. *cries*

Alright, now that I know my memory wasn't playing tricks on me I'm going to go out and find someone who knows icons to make one of them dragon things for me. Nice. XD

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
-SPAZZMATAZZ-

I was putting up a new story on FanFicNet, and I noticed something! Character classifications have been added for Pokemon!! The list has most recurring human characters from the anime, one or two recurring Pokemon (I know I saw Mewtwo in the list), and main characters from the PokeSpe RGB, Yellow, and GSC arcs.

[/spazz]

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
-SPAZZMATAZZ-

I was putting up a new story on FanFicNet, and I noticed something! Character classifications have been added for Pokemon!! The list has most recurring human characters from the anime, one or two recurring Pokemon (I know I saw Mewtwo in the list), and main characters from the PokeSpe RGB, Yellow, and GSC arcs.

[/spazz]

That's cool but not quite useful for about 50% of all fanfics that go onto FFNet. XD

As in, there's no OC or "other" category.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
xD Yeahhh. I wasn't able to classify any of my worthwhile fics. The only canon characters I've written to my satisfaction are Grovyle and Celebi from PMD2.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
w00t! Activity!

Reading that, and even though I write about canon characters, I still wouldn't be able to classify my fics that have them. I mean, I doubt there's a category on there for Raikou, or for Harrison. Which is a shame, because they are awesome characters to write about.

And also, I have my OT. So...yeah.

Shame shame shame.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
That?s pretty much yet another reason I guess I won?t be posting my fics over there, since even if you don?t have to categorize it, I think the lack of an OT category makes it quite clear what the most popular types of stories there are. -_-

Argh, I just can?t take it anymore over at Serebii. The place has always been a n00bfest but lately it?s been getting even worse. So many bad stories, so many n00b authors who hate all criticism and only accept praise, and perhaps worst of all, there?s been this massive influx of these readers who?ll go ?awesome! i luv it, 6.9/10. your a great writer.? Now, is it just me, or do those number ratings seem a little...lazy? Those crap reviewers then go around mindlessly praising every crap fic that pops up and acting like their crap authors are some sort of crappy god, overshadowing everything that?s actually half decent and is not in fact crap.

If only Serebii had even one single mod half as awesome and mean as Astinus, the world would be a better place.

So...I suck at thinking up topics, so does anyone else have anything we can muse over?

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
Now, is it just me, or do those number ratings seem a little...lazy?
Indeed, I see no reason to grade something with numbers (or indeed with letters, like those ridiculous reviews that give x points for grammar/spelling and whatnot, so many points for characterization or whatever, and then aggregate them to come up with a letter grade). So far as I'm concerned, numbers are only useful for something like contests where you need some sort of scale to compare the reviews of several different authors with one another and create an overall ranking.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
*bows* I do what I can.

I hate the number reviews. Yes, number reviews can do well if there's a system used with them, like the old reviewer Frostweaver. He rated with numbers, but he explained the system that he used so it would make sense where he got that number from.

But the reviews that just say "7.5/10!!!!!!1" make no sense, because you don't know where they pulled that number out of. (Well, one can guess, but we're not allowed to swear repeatedly in our posts. Assassassass. And I just realised that Shrike said "crap" many times in one sentence.) Plus, they don't explain why you got 2.5 points knocked off from the perfect score because they smack you with a number, and then skip off. So you're left to wonder what's wrong with your story.

I think, and this is just my opinion, but the thing is that I'm known in this section. I post in stories that don't just break rules, like the one that I posted in today. I corrected something in someone's review. So the normal members, you group of people that I don't really connect with, see that there's a mod wandering around, checking everything, mulling around with the normals, and is just taking part of everything.

I don't try to make it a big deal that I can do more than the normals because I'm a mod, nor do I constantly go around and say "I'm a mod, and that makes me important." Yes, I'm a mod, but I'm a member first, staff second. I want to just be normal, and not have people treat me differently because I am a mod. Yes, I want respect, as all people do, but I want to be treated like a person.

Plus, I think what makes this set-up here at PFF good is because I know what I want in this section, and I allow the members to say what they want. So I try to keep an open line of communication between myself and the members to let them have their say. Because, eff, I'm not still here because I want to be a mod. I'm still here because I want to make this section good for the members.

How's that for a guilt complex? XD I'm stuck here because of you people.

But, honestly, I don't know for sure how things are going on SPPf, since I haven't been active over there in a long while. I do know that I highly respect two of the fanfic mods over there for doing the best that they can, and I honor them for that.

Last edited:

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
Number ratings? Annoying, by all means. Even the ones that are played out like a rubric; you just can't grade writing by a predefined scale. Just two days ago I read a oneshot written by someone whose first language wasn't English. Their grasp of English's intricacies wasn't complete, and I saw a lot of errors with verb tenses, as well as some all-around weird grammar. But the story itself was quite good, the writing style enjoyable, and the ending made me quite sad. It would've failed a grammar grading, but that didn't stop the story from being pleasant to read.

Here it is; by the way, it's a PokeSpecial fic, so people who haven't read the DP arc of PokeSpe (or the summaries) will be completely lost.

Bay

Years
I too think ratings systems aren't useful unless you get specific with it. For instance, my professor at my university has this number system for essays and other work in which a 5 means your work is indepth, very perusaive, lots of evidence for your work and a 4 means your work is perusaive but needs a bit more work, you support your argument well, etc. If for say you explained your ratings systems from 5-1 and get specific on that a 5 means there is little to no grammatical mistakes, description used well, etc. then I'm fine with that.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
To tell you the truth, I personally still see numbered reviews that are detailed as a bit obnoxious on a level because even if you tell them what they did wrong, you're still giving them a scale of how far from perfect they are. Granted, the rest of the review can tell you that, but doing it with a bold number just beats them over the head with that fact.

But I've already had a nice rant about that. *thumbs up*

That?s pretty much yet another reason I guess I won?t be posting my fics over there, since even if you don?t have to categorize it, I think the lack of an OT category makes it quite clear what the most popular types of stories there are. -_-

Actually, I think it's just because the site's staff are only adding characters they think would get the most hits -- namely, the ones listed as main canon characters. In actuality, I'm not kidding when I say 50% of all the fics on FFNet's Pokemon archive are about OCs. I just did a count of the first page, and thirteen out of twenty-five of them are definitely centered around OCs, four are questionable, and the rest are canon.

Argh, I just can?t take it anymore over at Serebii. The place has always been a n00bfest but lately it?s been getting even worse. So many bad stories, so many n00b authors who hate all criticism and only accept praise, and perhaps worst of all, there?s been this massive influx of these readers who?ll go ?awesome! i luv it, 6.9/10. your a great writer.?

Find me an archive where there aren't members like that, and I'll start posting in it. XD

Seriously, yeah, you get that everywhere. I'm not sure how bad it is over at SPPf compared to here, but PC's definitely got a rash of them right now. I should really beat people over the head with my guide for reasons that are totally not egotistical.

But on the other hand, I do like how laid back PC is. I mean, seriously. Yeah, I've seen worse -- like, waves of those kinds of reviewers and writers -- off PC, and only on PC can I write about characters being sliced, shot, and devoured from the inside out and get decent reviews for it. *thumbs up*

Also, for a topic...

Astinus' edit said:
Reason: I smell like condiments!

Why is Astinus rolling around in mustard?

Extra points for anyone who writes a drabble based on this.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I smell like condiments!

Ketchup! Relish! Mustard! And cheese!

I smell like rotten milk!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Ender would invite you. He keeps telling me that I should ask you to join. But I'm thinking he would just watch as Andy cries. Wiggin men. XD

Okay, this is getting too much for even me to handle. I have to head outside now and watch meteors.

Haha, and all the members are like, "What's with the spam?"

Never mind. Too cloudy. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back