• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Graphics.

3D Graphics good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 103 88.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Dosen't Matter

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
A New Pokemon Adventure! In 3D!

So, having seen the trailer, it's pretty safe to say that this new adventure is going to be entirely in 3D.

What's everyone else's opinion on this? I mean, it's a pretty drastic change in the gameplay. Will it change the games for the better?

Personally I think they should have tried to go in this direction with Black and White, but they'll probably do a much better job with it on the 3DS.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
It was going to happen sooner or later and I'm ready to embrace it!

The graphics look beautiful already and there's still another nine months in which they could improve them so I'm all for these games.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
If you look closely enough to the overworld, it still attempts to follow the same style as the original maps. It doesn't seem like there's any diagonal movement (but who knows) and stuff is arranged and coloured almost like maps from the 5th generation.
I'm praying to God there is diagonal movement. The original style is outdated IMO. I can't imagine how weird it'd feel to play a game that looks as 3D as it does and only being able to move up, down left and right.

Last edited:
Years
I love the new graphics <3
The over world could use a bit of polishing but I think that's more of a map design thing than a graphics thing. It looks too empty imo. This style worked when it was 2D or thereabouts but now that it's going 3D we'll need to have a few more elements thrown in so that we can fill in the spots which we couldn't see back when it was 2D.

The battle scenes though looked flawless.

ZettaSlowbro

Veteran
Years
I hope so. They got plenty of time to polish everything up. I like the art style, it's very fitting for Pokemon. But technically, the 3DS is capable of MUCH more than this mess.

I don't see it. I'd take the first screenshot over the second any time.

I agree with this. In my opinion the battle graphics looked really nice, and like some nice work was put into it. however the over world graphics seemed unpolished; however they do have something like 10 months to work it out so I'm not too worried, but as of right now I feel the over world looks of just plain DS quality.
If they're going to make the jump to 3D they have to do it right, and not rush things.
They have my support, change can be scary but it's a game about evolving so the games have to grow as technology and the times change. Besides, it's easier to go with the flow rather then rejecting change completely.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Having watched the reveal quite a few times, I'm slightly getting used to the graphics, but...even still I'm really disappointed. Personally, they look horrible. It may be a massive step forward (which is great!), and I know there are still 10 months before its release (so a ton of things can be fixed, edited etc), and perhaps I just need to get used to such a dramatic change, but as of the moment, from what I've seen, the developers of Pokemon are leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

The OW graphics are...well quite ugly, to put it simply. They're jagged and uneven, and the world doesn't look as natural as it does in previous games. I think the detail of the graphics themselves has been swept aside and disregarded by the hype of having Pokemon move to 3D. In regards to the battling mechanics (graphic wise), I'm quite intrigued. I just hope to god that moves don't take ages to be executed.

Having said that however, we've only been given a few minutes preview, so...there's not really much substance in which we can form an opinion on of the whole game. I'm always open to new things, and well, it was inevitable that Pokemon would some day reach 3D; but the massive change is what I think I'll have to get used to over time. (I've got 10 months anyway paha.)

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't really like the graphics, but it's not that I'll go crazy over, given I disliked B/W's graphics at first and then fell in love with the region. While the graphics can be improved definitely, it's the region that'll get me hooked, not the graphics itself. I have enough imagination to make the graphics seem okay to me lmao.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
At first, I was kind of like "hey, that's neat"! Then I saw holy jaggy everything looked in stills. Eh. I'm not gonna buy it anyway, so none of that matters, but I'd hope it gets touched up for the rest of ya'll.

I really loved the intro. I saw Pikachu "talking" and was like "whoa". Then I read the disclaimer immediately at the bottom, and thought "so much for Pokemon having personality now". Maybe the next PMD, though.

blue

gucci
Years
We had a similar situation when Generation III was introduced on the GBA, it's the drastic change in graphics which was inevitable.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
The graphics of this game are great. And to me, it looks that the battle are on the route/city/whatever itself and not a seperate battle scene.

Zet

Years
Just a reminder that these graphics aren't final, so they could be improved by the time the games are released.

Honestly, taking the jump to full-blown 3D could be a risky move and it's probably best to see how well this style goes first.

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
The thing is:
- the footage may be taken from an earlier beta
- the graphics are blown up
- there is still ~10 months to release

I'm quite positive the graphics will be improved. I think the framerate will be back to 60fps, since there is a lot more to render now compared to Gen IV/V.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
The battle graphics and wild encounters are so cool, but I'm not a fan of the overworld either. If it's possible to slide the view from bird's eye to horizontal like that, then that'd be fine but with that horizontal view it looks so cluttered...

It's kind of funny to me how the fanmade RSE remake image of the male character standing with a Linoone on Route 114 even looks inferior to this and that's what I know a lot of people were hoping for xD

Years
I'm going to have to get used to the overworld but I think it is incredible (and such a huge jump too!) but those battle won't take any getting used to. Wow is all I really have to say about the graphics.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Yeah, it's definitely a nice improvement from the other games; even from B2W2. <3 'm really thrilled about the battle sequence; it looks more console-game like than pixelated; like if it was from Pokemon Colosseum or Pokemon XD~ I'd love to see more of it though!

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
The battle graphics are amazing but the overworld graphics are definitely different from the previous games which will take some getting used to.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
I personally will have to play the game to see if i like it or not as of right now im not to fond of it seems to advanced right now

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Bearing in mind that we haven't seen it in 3D I think I'll wait a little.

The clip of the fire bursting from the floor looked epic though, and the new battle UI looked awesome.

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2013
It will take some getting used to but with the 3D effect I think it will look awesome, slightly bummed about no Hoenn remake but really no matter what Nintendo do I will buy Pokemon games, because they have had me hooked since the age of 4. I kinda skimmed the 5th gen games but these new ones look like they will bring a new golden age of all things pokemon!

Back