• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen No Slot Machines in EU versions of HGSS

Years
I'm ust going to say first of all i'm English so technically this is not racism but well it's debateable.
slot machines have been in all pokemon games up to date as far as I know in Europe (as I couldn't give a hoothoot i haven't looked in plat yet) so this will be another lovely bit of pointless legislation that people like me moan at( and no i am not a BNP supporter{any who do well they won't be friends o mine}).
anyways the slot machines give the pokemon games that extra element of fun, kind of like that satsuma at the bottom of your stocking at christmas, so if euro nintendo have got rid of it, many many children will cry for it.

Dr. James

Experimenting
Years
Mmmm. No slot machines. I wonder then what would be in Goldenrod City. Maybe a Pokemon Contest instead? And in the slot machines of Celadon City. Pokemon Contest also?

I was wondering something. In Gold/Silver/Crystal, they reffer to the events of Green/Blue/Red/Yellow as "three years ago" since that is the difference between the games. However, FireRed/LeafGreen came out five years before HeartGold/SoulSilver. So they may now saying "five years ago" to reffer to these events, instead of the "three years ago" known phrase.

Last edited:

encas

Don't tread on me.
Years
So same thing in this version as well eh? Did this start with D/P/Pt? or has this happened since the original GB/GBC games? I don't see why they ban the slot machines. Its not like it's anything illegal or bad. Its earning coins for playing pokemon games in the slots. i think They took it too far in Euro by taking them out.

They started with Platinum. But I find it curious as to why they didn't always do it.

First calling the Gamblers in FR/LG "Gamers", now taking out the slots' functionality in Western Europe's versions? Hello, if you guys were going to do this, do it from the start.

Oh wait, I forgot. This has probably been prompted by some newish legislation. So much for consistency then. -__-;

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Keep your posts on topic, people - the topic is on slot machines being 'censored' in HG/SS, not about invading Europe and so forth. =P

That sounds like a shame, really - the Game Corner is always a fun thing to do for a short while on the side with the mini-games and all, IMO, and it being censored out - although it may be necessary due to those laws (I wonder if these laws are consistent everywhere in Europe? Maybe just in those countries in the European Union... =/), means you'll be missing out in Europe. Not on much, really, but I quite liked GSC's Game Corner. And the music was good fun too.

Cheers for letting people know, Furanty.

Luckily I live in Australia... *whistles*

Bishopk

meow :)
Years
  • CO
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
I was wondering something. In Gold/Silver/Crystal, they reffer to the events of Green/Blue/Red/Yellow as "three years ago" since that is the difference between the games. However, FireRed/LeafGreen came out five years before HeartGold/SoulSilver. So they may now saying "five years ago" to reffer to these events, instead of the "three years ago" known phrase.

I think they should just keep it at 3 years. I don't think they would change it just because the real-world timeline differs, the game can be its own canon with its own timeline.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
Mmmm. No slot machines. I wonder then what would be in Goldenrod City. Maybe a Pokemon Contest instead? And in the slot machines of Celadon City. Pokemon Contest also?

You know what, I like this idea. If the countries in Europe can't have the ability to play game slots, then why should other countries have the ability. I mean I live in America, but I still cannot help but think how unfair it is to other locations. Anyway, the idea of the game corner being replaced by the Game Corner Pokémon Contests seems beneficial. They can even improve it, such as if you win a contest you can get a certain amount of points or coins. Then, somewhere in the Contest Hall there, you have this clerk who can trade your points or coins for certain TMs or Items. This seems like it can work out pretty good, and promote the use of contests and give it a point to be in the games as well. This is just a thought though, and speculation on what they can do for them to stay within legislation law and make it equal enough where all players around the world can share the same fun.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
You know what, I like this idea. If the countries in Europe can't have the ability to play game slots, then why should other countries have the ability. I mean I live in America, but I still cannot help but think how unfair it is to other locations. Anyway, the idea of the game corner being replaced by the Game Corner seems beneficial. They can even improve it, such as if you win a contest you can get a certain amount of points or coins. Then, somewhere in the Contest Hall there, you have this clerk who can trade your points or coins for certain TMs or Items. This seems like it can work out pretty good, and promote the use of contests and give it a point to be in the games as well. This is just a thought though, and speculation on what they can do for them to stay within legislation law and make it equal enough where all players around the world can share the same fun.
But I'm greedy, and want to go to the Game Corner again! I mean... the music! It's fun! =P

It's not that bad an idea though, looking at it from Europe's side of it. =P But given the response:
'Because of EU legislation the slot machines will be without functions in future Pokémon games.'
That seems to suggest that the Game Corner will be back - just not functioning in European games. (Assuming they stick to this and the translation is good enough, of course).

That and they'd have to replace not one, but two Game Corners - Johto's and Kanto's (I see Kanto in this game, anyways). I think it's more likely they'll just be lazy with it, really; judging by this the Game Corner building is seemingly going to be in.

Years
I think it's ridiculous. Yeah, it's been done in Platinum, so they'll soil Johto by censoring part of it. A small, not particularly vital part, yes, but it's taking a bit of the essence of the game. It annoys me- what, we can gamble for... 10, 12 years (don't remember), and now that most of up have grown up..
They take it away? It makes SO little sense. Yeah, new, younger kids are obviously coming onto the scene, so if they start with Platinum they won't see anything wrong.
But this is still stupid. Nintendo Europe = fail. BIG fail. *pout*

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
That sucks but I'm Australian and it isn't censored.

Even if it was, I usually buy my coins(yes, I'm a lazy bum)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Oh well, I'd rather get used to it, I doubt the law will change anytime soon.

Maybe I'll have to think about importing.

AJ_wishmaker

Shiny trader
Years
At first I heard it was only the German Version of the game and I knew there was a lot of flaming of Games going on there... but when I went to the Game Corner the slots were gone.

The thing that amuses me is the people who talk in the Game Corner are harming you more.
One says "It seems like I'm always coming here...." and "Before I know it it's night time." Surely thats more encouraging to the kids to now go and spend their money on slot machines on real life and spend all day there.... when they could just do it on the game without spending money. (Except to buy the game obviously)

It's stupid. And I thought the UK may be different seeing as we are the most independant of the EU countries... having our own currency and that.... maybe not then =/

demonmike

Missing-Nin
Years
Well theres no use complaining guys, follow my example. You have a way out of this censoring, and thats an import. Ofcourse, those who only understand a language native to their own country are unlucky in the fact they cant buy their own language version without censorship, but those who can, make a stand and maybe they'l understand then that we dont care about the age rating, and nobody infact follows it, so just import until they get the point.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
EU violates free trade, then they'll really be asking for some kind of riot among some people. I think that'll take things a bit too far for simply trying to ban the use and idea of gambling and slot machines. Honestly though, the Game Corner, it is more of an arcade in the game than anything else. Yes, there are people who say they are addicted to them in the game, but it isn't like there are some people out there who get addicted to the fun in arcades.

Anyway, you really cannot blam Nintendo nor GameFreak for this, because they are just following the law like anyone else would. Plus, Nintendo and GameFreak wouldn't stop selling the Pokémon games to this country because of the law. They'll simply loose out on a high price of money. They'd rather block the use of it and still have the game sold in stores for those people who enjoy it.

I say take full advantage of free trade and importing the game now though, before they stop allowing that too xD. Plus, it'll only cost either a few dollars less or more, depending on currency values. If it is something you enjoy [The game slots], then import. If it is somethng that you really don't bother about, then feel free to either buy the EU copy or import if you like. No sense pointing fingers at the whole thing, as it is basically already done for the moment.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
Years
>_> I don't really mind.
As long as I still have the ability to buy coins and use them to buy TM's, I'm happy.
I don't know that you can do this in European copies of platinum
[I had mine imported from america]
But if you can't, it really destroys the metagame and puts European gamers at disadvantage to
people from america, etc.

ghostofherooftime

Phantom of the Internet
Years
WOW this is ridiculous..

I mean.. the game corner, i always thought, was an essential point in the game. Being a Red/Blue veteran, i remember getting Porygon from the game corner (as well as Scyther) and not allowing some people that pleasure in games is just...wow...

oh well... Go USA lol

EagleVision1999

Commander
Years
Edit: Thank you for the info
Just you wait for the EU to violate free trade.
Yeah, that's what worries me the most not only because of Pokemon.
If it comes to that I would want the game industry to support the gamers over here a little more. They shouldn't accept that, no? ;_;. Imagine, me, someone who is an adult within the law now, has to accept censorship, wich has no proven use. Moreover, it's not like it's real gambling. Technically they don't gamble for money, just for something that can be used to get a rice...it like going to a funfair and getting a cuopon for food if you join a game (allowed for children). Gambling for money is forbidden in Japan but they don't make a fuss. They just gamble for something else than money.
Especially in germany where those ancient old politicans are obsessed with the (not existing -.-) evils of video games,( even games for adults are cencored,) so many game fans tend to import versions from the U.S. or even from austria. They even said "killer-game-player" (counterstrike, call of duty etc. this has become a popular term here) should be treated like pedophiles (within the law...said by a politican named Beckstein)

Last edited:

Swampert 22

Is making tools for you...
Years
@EagleVision1999: The guy is still there is the house to the left of the Game Corner, a clown gives it to you.

Anyway, I didn't even realise that the Slots where disabled in Platinum until I looked at this thread, so I fired up my european version of Platinum and sure enough, even when you have the Coin Case, pressing 'A' at a slot machine in the Game Corner just results in a message saying 'It's a Game Machine'!

It really is a shame, I used to love playing the slots to win the prizes. It's not that it takes much from the game, but it's the principle.

I usually import my games, as I cannot wait for the european versions! It just so happened that because I had already imported Diamond, I saw no point in rushing to get Platinum.

Anyway, I shall be importing SoulSilver, mainly for the reason that I want it as soon as possible! But also now, because I'll get a fraction more of a game! :P

That's my rant over, but I was quite surprised!

Neutrino

The Jelly-Stuff of legend...
Years

Since it's just a 'remake' it'll still be three years. If a car was made, then upgraded a few years later, it would still have officially been 'made' in the original year. Nice bit o' imagery there

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2022
Well, here's a simple formula.

Going by what has been said that people leave the coins behind after playing the 'game machines':

Gambling = bad.

Theft by Finding (a chargable offence in the UK) = good.

Back