• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

PekoponTAS

Game Boy Advance Fan
Years
Well I DID type up a really detailed update, but Pokecommunity had one of its patented crashes that erases your whole post, so I'll have to give an abridged version since I'm not typing all that stuff up again.

Normal Type Platinum Challenge update.

• Battled through Eterna Forest
  • Lost to Gardenia, and had to level grind. (Didn't want to cop out and train Starly)
  • Raised Buneary's happiness a bit, and spent time underground grinding items since I'll eventually need lots of shards.
  • Taught Buneary Return, and beat Gardenia after a few failed attempts
  • Withdrew my old Bibarel and taught it Cut
  • Beat up Team Galactic and got the Up-Grade
  • Arrived in Hearthorme and went to the gym.
  • Had a tough time fighting the regular trainers since they used bullcrud moves, and all I could do was use Buneary's Foresight/Return, and Aipom's Astonish.
  • Buneary evolves into Lopunny!
  • Beat Fantina with very few problems.
  • Taught Aipom Shadow Claw.
  • Ran into Barry/Retard, and had some trouble with his Double Team spamming Staravia. Had to actually send out Bibarel to take advantage of his Unaware ability so I could actually hit the dang thing.
  • Decided to use the vs seeker to level grind. Found a bug catcher with a Krikitune and Dustox witch spewed tons of exp, and great evs for Lopunny and Aipom.
  • While level grinding, Aipom evolves into Ambipom!
  • Caught a Clefairy in Mt. Coronett, trained it until it learned wake up slap, evolved it with the Moon Stone I found underground, then ultimately abandoned it since it wouldn't be worth it.
  • Got the Defog HM in the Solaceon Ruins.
  • Went to the route above Solaceon to catch a fly/defog staravia slave, and instead found a Noctowl!
  • Captured the Noctowl and decided to make it a party member instead of an HM Slave. Named it Cedric after the stupid owl from King's Quest 5.
  • Arrived in veilstone and got a free Porygon from some guy in a house. Decided to take it along with me. Nicknamed it Wall.E
  • Used the upgrade to evolve Porygon.
  • Fought Maylene and won with Porygon2's Psybeam, Noctowl's Air Slash, and Lopunny's Jump Kick. (which 1HitKOed Lucario thanks to a Critical Hit)
  • Got the Fly HM
And now you're caught up to where I left off.

Current Team.

lopunny.png
Lv36 Lady Sia (Female)
Nature: Sassy/Ability:Cute Charm
Moveset: Jump Kick, Return, Foresight, Dizzy Punch

ambipom.png
Lv36 Coconuts (Male)
Nature:Adamant/Ability Technician
Moveset: Double Hit, Tickle, Fling, Shadow Claw

noctowl.png
Lv33 Cedric (Male)
Nature: Impish/Ability Keen Eye
Moveset: Take Down, Air Slash, Confusion, Reflect

porygon2.png
Lv28 Wall.E
Nature:Modest/Ability: Download
Moveset: Psybeam, Agility, Recover, Magnet Rise

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Dark Update 4: Crystal 16/16 and Platinum 8/8

I finished Crystal and Platinum a few days ago.
Just some pics. I'm too lazy to type a lot, so here they are.

Crystal:
Spoiler:

Platinum:
Spoiler:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Normal Monotype Update #7

I got my 7th badge with my Normal-types :)
vs
107.gif

Team:
Spoiler:

Ghost Monotype Update #1

I started the game and made my starter a Shuppet thanks to the birthday password.
I managed to beat Brock with like 3 HP to spare. :)
vs
102.gif

Team:
Spoiler:

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
Years
So... how does one go about doing a ghost monotype in soul silver? Isn't there only like 1 ghost pokemon for like 90% of the game (ghastly)?

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
Years
Okay, let's see if I can finish my WATER monotype challenge on firered today!

I just got to the Indigo Plateau. Took my Lapras out of the box (untrained, LOL), to replace the spearow that was flying me around Kanto.

My team: Kabutops, Seadra, Blastoise, Gyarados, Vaporeon and Lapras

-First E4 fight! Kabutops VS Dewgong. Two Rock Slides and Dewgong died. Surf put my Kabutops to 50% HP. Managed to beat Cloyster with Kabutops as well. I had nothing against Slowbro, so he killed my Kabutops and Seadra :( Basically, Lore-something did a lot of damage to my super flawed team.
I decided I'd go against Bruno with just Vaporeon and Lapras, if I can't win the fight, at least I'd get Vaporeon some experience. But I managed to beat them all.
Proceeding to fight against Agatha with the same principle: Levelling up. I don't care much for the money loss, because I've already spent it all on restoration items. Managed to beat Agatha as well - wow, my Vaporeon is powerful! I used some potions though.
Lol, beat Lance as well. Thanks to Acid Armor and Aurora Beam xD And a Full restore.

Since I'm only one opponent left, I decided to heal up my pokemon (I hate using potions and revives!). Everytime I fought Green I beat him easily, let's see how it goes this time.

My Kabutops beat Green's Pidgeot. Switched to my Rock Star, Vaporeon and bulked him up with Acid Armor. Took some of Rhydon's Earthquakes and only dropped to 50%. One hydro pump was enough to put him out. The he sent out Venasaur, which is suppsedly the biggest threat against my WATER team. But I have Aurora Beam, so that's what I use next. He absorbs some sunlight, so I use a max potion thinking I could handle it... I dropped to 1 HP and used another Max Potion.
He absorbed sunlight again, so I switched out to Lapras because she's a weakling.
Switched to Gyarados next and upped his speed and attack with Dragon Dance, not that I have anything good against Venasaur but... He used Growth, Sunny Day and Solarbeam... Needless to say what happened to Gyarados. why didn't I think of this earlier?! My blastoise knows rain dance and protect! Mighty weapon against solar beams :P Protect made Venasaur lose all his Solar beam PP, because he was only using growth now.
His Alakazam finished most of my pokémon, leaving only my rock star, which beat her with Water Pulse. Bulked up against Gyarados and finished Arcanine with a Hydro Pump.

2rqdflu.jpg

I finished my WATER monotype on FireRed. Soon I might start a new one (:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
So... how does one go about doing a ghost monotype in soul silver? Isn't there only like 1 ghost pokemon for like 90% of the game (ghastly)?
Unfortunately, you pretty much have to use Gastly. However, if you start now, you can take advantage of this, and get another ghost type for your run.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 26, 2018
HAvent updated my flying ultimate in a few days im still in hoenn (detailed update coming soon) and i would also like to start another run on my phone
Username: hisalness56
Single or Ultimate: Ultimate
Games: Red Version then idk
Type: Poison

Sindrie

Years
Unfortunately, you pretty much have to use Gastly. However, if you start now, you can take advantage of and get another ghost type for your run.

Yeah I'm doing a grass mono run now I have 6 badges now. I was interested in doing a ghost run after my grass one but having just ghastly would be pretty boring. So I might do water or electric next instead which is a shame since I do like ghost type but they are far too rare.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
Ulti-Monotype Poison Challenge: Soul Silver
Update#1
swapped my starter for StinkyFist (Croagunk) with permission of the birthday event
Did the beginning stuff...
Caught a weedle and it evolved into Kakuna and then Beedrill named him Bugzy.
On the way to Violet City i caught a Bellsprout named Bulbz.
Grinded up my team a bit.
During the spout tower i caught a Gasly named ShadowLEE.
Falkner posed no threat with Gasly with curse and a potion, they fainted without before ShadowLEE even needed another potion..
Challenge rating: 0/5
Current lineup:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Water Monotype Challenge - Final Update
FireRed | Marko
50px-Boulder_Badge.png
50px-Cascade_Badge.png
50px-Thunder_Badge.png
50px-Rainbow_Badge.png
50px-Soul_Badge.png
50px-Marsh_Badge.png
50px-Volcano_Badge.png
50px-Earth_Badge.png

Okay so I finished this challenge while I was on vacation! To put it shortly, Blaine and Giovanni were both a piece of cake as my team was pack full of Water Pokemon. After defeating Giovanni I made my way towards Victory Road, defeating Polo easily as well. The road towards Victory Road wasn't too difficult either. In fact, after I went through Victory Road I decided that I didn't want to spend a bunch of time grinding my Pokemon to better levels, so I stocked up big time on items and just went on it. First battle went okay, so I went to the second battle, and each time I had decided 'oh okay this isn't too bad' until Lance where I had finally saved. With the help of Ice Beam/Blizzard Lance was a piece of cake and the Champion battle wasn't too difficult either. I don't remember the details, but I will say that Tyson the Lapras was definitely my MVP through the league! So yeah, this was a really fun challenge and I had finally defeated the Kanto Elite Four! My final team is below; I currently am doing another challenge on my Fire Red now, but maybe once I am done with that or something I will try for another Monotype. See you all then!

Spr_3f_009.png

Peaches (Blastoise) ♀ | Lonely | Level 52
Mega Punch, Surf, Brick Break, Rain Dance

Spr_3f_130.png

Percy (Gyarados) ♂ | Naughty | Level 51
Dragon Dance, Strength, Earthquake, Hydro Pump

Spr_3f_087.png

Frank (Dewgong) ♂ | Naive | Level 51
Sheer Cold, Take Down, Ice Beam, Surf

Spr_3f_139.png

Neptune (Omastar) ♂ | Serious | Level 50
Surf, Bite, Mud Shot, Blizzard

Spr_3f_073.png

Poseidon (Tentacruel) ♂ | Quiet | Level 51
Toxic, Surf, Giga Drain, Barrier

Spr_3f_131.png

Tyson (Lapras) ♂ | Mild | Level 52
Surf, Body Slam, Ice Beam, Perish Song

Last edited:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Normal Monotype Update #8

8th badge! Now it's time to grind for the Pokemon League!
vs
108.gif
Spoiler:
Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2015
I will use the birthday code for Omanyte in HG/SS
Pokemon Firered Mono-Water final update:
So, Giovanni was pretty easy considering My whole team was consisted of Water types. After that I went to fight Blue on Route 22, who was pretty hard to deal with, because I forgot to heal, from the gym leader fight. (Silly me!) Then I got through the puzzling and confusing Victory road puzzles, and fought all of the hard trainers. (I'm not very good at games) So then I went to the elite 4 completely unprepared with all of my pokemon as they were all only lvl. 47-48. I fought the elite 4 and the pokemon that gave me trouble were Jynx Machamp Dragonite and Gyarados , after that I fought Blue and I took his first 5 down pretty easily but they fainted all of my pokemon besides Blastoise then it was a 1 on 1 match Aqui vs. Gyarados Gyarados kept thrashing while I kept using Strength with Blastoise since Gyarados resisted everything I had we both kept using Hyper potions and Full restores to restore HP. then Blue finally ran out of Full restores, and I beat him!
Final team: Blastoise (F) Gyarados (F) Vaporeon (F) Poliwrath (M) Lapras (M)
-------------------------------------------------
After storing her pokemon at Oaks Ranch, Misty decided to go to the Near region of Johto to start another Adventure to conquer the Johto league
(Is it ok if I dont use my starter pokemon in HG/SS? I've used Totodile alot.)

Last edited:

Sindrie

Years
Grass monotypeSS Update: 3

- I won 3000 points at the pokeathlon and bought a leaf stone and evolved gloom to Vileplume.

- ventured to the burned tower and smacked down Silver and then challenged the fire breather.

- helped the dancer and got surf then healed up at a pokecenter.

- cleared out morty's Gym then challenged him. I basically used a mixture of Vileplume, Bellossom,

and Weepinbell and spammed nonstop sleep and mega drain till I won. It was a close battle I lost

Vileplume and weepinbell but won with Bellossom in the end with critically low health.

- Healed up and venture to olivine city.

- Caught a krabby for a surf slave LVL 20 then surfed to the fighting Gym city

- At the city I went north and ran into the water legendary and that random guy (lol) challenged me

to a fight I won.

- Healed up and cleared out the fighting Gym then challenged the Gym Leader. I used only Vileplume

and Bellossom, I put both of his pokemon to sleep (Primeape/Poliwrath). After they fell asleep I

spammed a mix of mega drain/magic leaf till I won probably the easiest Gym yet.

- Went back to olivine and cleared to the Lighthouse then traveled back to cianwood again to get the

medicine.... then traveled back again and healed the pokemon in the lighthouse then I went to the

safari and captured a fearow to use a fly slave. ( I only bring him out of the box to fly then I

deposit him again)

- Flew back to Olivine and challenged the Gym Leader. Again as with all the other badges I just spam

sleep and mega drain/magic leaf another easy Gym.

- Traveled to the 7th Gym city and fainted the Shiny Gyarados. (sorry don't like gyarados hes pretty

ugly ROFL)

- Battled my way through the Team Rocket hideout then challenged the ICE Gym Leader. As usual he was

rather easy b/c his pokemon were either ground or water so I just used sleep and mega drain.

- healed, saved, then wrote this update.
Team

Bellossom lvl 36 (F) Gentle
Mega drain/Attract/Magical Leaf/sleep powder
Item:Miracle Seed

Vileplume lvl 35 (F)
Naive
Mega Drain/Sludge Bomb/Acid/Poison powder
Item: Poison Barb

Weepinbell lvl 32 (F)
Hasty
Vine whip/poison powder/wrap/sleep powder
Item: Quick Claw

Skiploom lvl 22 (F)
Quiet
stun spore/synthesis/U-turn/Bullet Seed
Item: N/A

Sunkern lvl 13 (M) Rash
Absorb/Bullet Seed/Mega Drain/Ingrain
Item: N/A
Comments: I'm just holding on to him till I get a sun stone and can evolve him.

Slaves

Fearow
Fly
Krabby
Surf

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
Time for update #2 on both of my ultimate challenges

Update #2 on Water Monotype: Gold
Spoiler:

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Update #2 on Bug Monotype: LeafGreen
Spoiler:

Current Team:
Spoiler:

PekoponTAS

Game Boy Advance Fan
Years
Platinum Normal Type Update!
Spoiler:

EDIT: FINAL END OF GAME UPDATE!

• Beat up Volkner and earned my final badge!
  • withdrew my starter Piplup and taught it waterfall. (Since Bibarel had all its HM slots filled)
  • Slogged through Victory Road
  • Fought Barry for the last time, and sent him home!
  • Withdrew all my Normal type helpers that I had along the way. Sadly couldn't bring Clefable and the Chansey I caught with me since I can't take 8 Pokemon on my team, but they didn't really do anything anyways. I wanted to bring them all along since they all helped quite a lot at some point, and they deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. :3
  • Had a surprising amount of trouble at Arron. That Heracross was a pain in the butt, and his Drapion caught me off guard and nearly wiped out both Ambipom and Porygon Z. Was able to fight back and win.
  • Bertha didn't cause many problems. Porygon Z's Ice Beam did most of the talking.
  • Flint went incredibly well, better than I could have imagined. Got really lucky and had Porygon Z's Psybeam hit Infernape with a critical Hit. I think that saved my butt. XD
  • The Psychic guy SHOULDN'T have been difficult since Ambipom had Shadow Claw and Porygon Z had Signal Beam, but it was probably the hardest fight aside from Cynthia. Between the surprise Gallade, the Focus Blast Alakazam and the Bronzong which I could only really hit with Fire Punch, this was a difficult battle. It was actually Lopunny that delivered the finishing blow to Bronzong despite being horribly under-leveled.
  • The Champion Cynthia! Also known as the best Pokemon final boss ever! Had a lot of trouble with Spiritomb and Lucario, but after that things went pretty smoothly. Porygon Z did most of the talking during this fight, with Ice Beam 1HitKoing Garchomp, 2HitKoing Togekiss, and 2HitKoing Rosearade. Discharge took out Milotic in two hits, while Ambipom took out Lucario and Spiritomb with Fire Punch and Shadow Claw respectively.
I gotta say, I haven't played fourth gen since Platinum came out in 2009, and it was like re-discovering a masterpiece. Platinum is one heck of a good game, and Cynthia is such a great final boss that it really feels like the epic climactic showdown. Sinnoh is also pretty huge, and the whole game just feels big in its scope. Makes me wonder why I never played it again after the first time I played, cause I remember really liking Platinum the first time I played it too.

Anyhoo, end of game stuff.

Champion Snapshot (As you can see I took my sweet time playing the game since I was just really enjoying it, and was having fun doing stuff in the game)

Spoiler:

Final Team:
ambipom.png
Level:64 Coconuts (Male) (Adamant)
Moveset: Double Hit, Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Shadow Claw

porygon-z.png
Level:65 Wall.E (Modest)
Moveset: Psybeam, Discharge, Ice Beam, Signal Beam

Retired Party Members:

lopunny.png
Level:43 Lady Sia (Female) (Sassy)
Moveset: Jump Kick, Return, Charm, Dizzy Punch

noctowl.png
Level:35 Cedric (Male) (Impish)
Moveset: Take Down, Fly, Confusion, Defog

bibarel.png
Level:18 NotRattata (Male) (Hardy)
Moveset: Rock Climb, Surf, Rock Smash, Cut

463.png
Level:34 Boshi (Male) (Relaxed)
Moveset:Gyro Ball, Stomp, Strength, Rollout

Last edited:

KidCarter93

PokéTech Guy
Years
Type: Poison
Game: Liquid Crystal (Crystal)
Badges: 8

Started with Cyndaquil, PC'ed it by Lv 9. Caught Weedle, Bellsprout, Gastly, Zubat and Spinarak.

Beat Gym #1 (Falkner) with:
Beedrill Lv 14
Bellsprout Lv 13
Gastly Lv 14
Zubat Lv 14
Spinarak Lv 14

Beat Gym #2 (Bugsy) with:
Beedrill Lv 20
Bellsprout Lv 20
Gastly Lv 21
Zubat Lv 19
Spinarak Lv 20

Beat Gym #3 (Whitney) with:
Golbat Lv 23
Gastly Lv 23
Weepinbell Lv 23
Ariados Lv 23
Beedrill Lv 25

Beat Gym #4 (Morty) with:
Ariados Lv 26
Nidorina Lv 27
Crobat Lv 28
Haunter Lv 27
Beedrill Lv 27
Weepinbell Lv 27

Beat Gym #5 (Chuck) with:
Haunter Lv 31
Nidoqueen Lv 30
Weepinbell Lv 31
Crobat Lv 31
Beedrill Lv 31
Ariados Lv 31

Beat Gym #6 (Jasmine) with:
Gengar Lv 40
Nidoqueen Lv 40
Crobat Lv 40
Beedrill Lv 40
Victreebel Lv 40
Ariados Lv 40

Beat Gym #7 (Pryce) with:
Ariados Lv 41
Beedrill Lv 42
Victreebel Lv 41
Crobat Lv 41
Nidoqueen Lv 41
Gengar Lv 41

Beat Gym #8 (Claire) with:
Gengar Lv 46
Ariados Lv 45
Beedrill Lv 45
Crobat Lv 45
Nidoqueen Lv 45
Victreebel Lv 45

Beat Elite Four Will with Beedrill.
Beat Elite Four Koga with Crobat.
Beat Elite Four Bruno with Crobat and Victreebel.
Beat Elite Four Karen with Crobat, Gengar and Ariados.
Beat Champion Lance with Beedrill, Gengar, Crobat and Nidoqueen.

My team:
Ariados Lv 60
Beedrill Lv 61
Crobat Lv 61
Nidoqueen Lv 61
Victreebel Lv 60
Gengar Lv 61

YDvo5BB.jpg

Time to work my way through the Kanto League now, I guess :D

DKgopackgo

Sub on YT! DKgopackgaming! :)
Years
  • Seen Sep 23, 2013
Username: DKgopackgo
Type: Water
Challenge: Ultimate
Games: Blue, Crystal, Sapphire, Platinum, Black

Oh boy. Haha :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
So after a bunch of grinding in Mt. Silver, I managed to beat Red in my Gold playthrough. It took a bunch of revives, since he was about 10 levels stronger than me, but I managed to scrape by and take him out. Moving on to Sapphire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back