• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen A Champion Worthy Of The Title

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
So as some or maybe all of you may know. Or not. I absolutely despise Iris. But not without justified reasons. But that's not what this thread's about.

What it's about is me asking you if you believe Iris is worthy of the Champion title in Black and White 2.

From what I know, she was essentially handed the title by Adler and takes the job very lightly. Which leads me to believe other Dragon using champions from different regions with a competitive spirit and even a well-known gym leader, would probably be displeased.

So what do you think. Do you believe Iris was worthy of the Champion title or could it have gone to someone more deserving and if so, who would you have preferred to be Champion?

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
I don't think she is. Like you said, she was handed it, and takes the job lightly.
Plus she was so goshdarn easy! I beat her in one try. The E4 was honestly tougher. In HG and FR I beat Lance by like 5 HP. But only one of my pokemon got KO'd by Iris. It's pathetic, that's what it is. Though Alder was pretty easy to. But Iris was the worst.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Iris truly didn't deserved the title. Not only did she take it lightly, as you've mentioned, but it also increased her undeserving popularity from the community, making her chances to appear in the next SSB title higher than any other female trainer. I'd say the champion title should've been lended to either Marshal, who has a history of being Alder's aprentice, or the BW1 protagonists, to make the battle against Alder in BW1's post-game canon, which was also stated on the official guidebook of BW2.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I disagree. Iris won her title from Alder as she should have. She's more childish about it but still does as much as Lance did when he wasn't a Champion. She assisted the character in finding Team Plasma in Castellia.

Claire wasn't that great a Gym Leader either. She tried to trick the main character into doing something she thought was impossible just so she didn't have to give you a badge for beating her. She was spoiled and inconsiderate of her position. Much more undeserving of her title than Iris is.

We know next to nothing on Lance and Drake though. Both are stern and more serious than the other two, but we have nothing on them background wise to say why they are like this.

@Pinky do not bring SSB outside of a thread for it. Its spam to just randomly throw it in on any given topic. We don't know who will appear in the next one. Only the director and game designers know who they plan to add in. A character's position in a game does not dictate whether or not they will appear in SSB. Please keep SSB discussions to a thread about SSB.

Years
I don't really mind that Iris got the job, but it didn't really make all that much sense to me, to be honest. I think Game Freak missed out on a golden opportunity to have a 'Red' moment again and made the previous protagonist champion, even more integrated with the story, possibly with an even bigger 'HOLY CRAP THIS IS AWESOME' factor.

There are various reasons already discussed in other threads why the 'physical' presence of the past protagonist would've been awkward to pull off, so I won't go into it, but I definitely think it would've made more sense than Iris. Even if they actually made Cheren the Champion, or something- why a Gym Leader?

Reactions: T!M

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I don't think Iris is undeserving of being Champion, she's a strong trainer, and she earned her title by defeating Alder in battle, something Drayden mentions in one of the memories that comes with Memory Link. What may seem childish, I see as young and eager. She is definitely not as mature as the Elite 4 or the Gym Leaders, but that doesn't mean she isn't serious about her responsibilities.

However, it really took me by surprise seeing her as the new Champion. I really, really wanted it to be one of the BW protagonists, though I knew it was too much to wish for. In my opinion, and realistically speaking, Cheren would've been the best choice, he was there from start to end in the whole Plasma affair in BW, and he's hard-working and strong. After seeing him as a new Gym Leader, then I thought the new Champion was maybe one the Striaton brothers. It would've provided an answer as to why they weren't Gym Leaders anymore, one of them becoming Champion, while the other two deciding to close the Gym and further hone their skills to reach their brother's achievement.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I don't think she's undeserving, I guess, but it just seems to me that they gave it to her because I remember there were lots of fans that thought Drayden would be the Champion just because he has the "Champion vibe." (he's strong, not childish, knows a lot about bonds and Pokemon) And I guess they wanted to be... different? I know that's probably not the case but I don't think they would make a new character to be the Champion when they've already got an "extra" Dragon type gym leader to work with.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
Years
I believe Iris deserves the title of Champion just as much as anyone else. She won against Alder in a fair fight, unlike Alder who got appointed as champ by the the Elite Four, and she seems to be fairly altruistic (she was helping people she barely knew get back their Pokémon from a Pokémon rights group in Black and White), and as we see in her Memory Link, Iris mentions how people in the Village of Dragons take living alongside Pokémon for granted. Perhaps she was one of these people? It would explain why Drayden brought Iris to Unova in the first place: He wanted to bring her closer to her Pokémon, and Unova would allow the bond to grow, because people truly appreciate Pokémon in Unova. Heck, Drayden could have been pushing her to challenge Alder to help her grow as person, and being Champion would help even moreso. So, she has grown as a person, and her new title shows that.

Also, her team and battle theme is awesome.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Okay, I guess. Iris isn't so bad but, I really hoped Shaga would have taken it, or someone else. Because it seems to me that Iris can't be seemed to look like a... Champion. That's for the stylistic type, and Iris's sense of fashion is hopeless. And I suppose Iris isn't rather cool, or anyone I'd have wished to step up.

She takes it lightly is also rather demeaning, and her sense of character is fair. But I should really think someone... older, should have gone for it.

Reactions: T!M

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Okay, I guess. Iris isn't so bad but, I really hoped Shaga would have taken it, or someone else. Because it seems to me that Iris can't be seemed to look like a... Champion. That's for the stylistic type, and Iris's sense of fashion is hopeless.

Actually, her clothes were given to her by Drayden, both her old clothes, and her new Champion outfit. And I think she does look like a Champion, with that over-dressy outfit, but also young and cute, IMO her dress really suits her. So I approve of Drayden's fashion choices :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I don't really like Iris as a champion and find it a bit hard to believe. The whole "child prodigy" thing is a bit washed out too.

Although I didn't really like Alder as champion either....he wasn't at all intimidating. Neither was Iris really....they just don't have the " *gasp* I'm up against them!" factor. (That champions like Steven or Cynthia had)

I think if I had to choose the champion it would be Cheren or somebody new. I remember when Black/White was first coming out there were rumours that Bianca was going to be the champion. XD

Cosmic Fury

[color=red][I][css-div="font-size: 12px; font-vari
Years
I would have laughed if Bianca ended up as the Champion. I was honestly hoping the rival would end up as the champion, or that N would re-emerge and take the title again. Instead, we're stuck with Iris. Alright, so that wasn't my first choice, but as she's a Dragon trainer (and she's still young), it would seem a wise choice...

If her team wasn't so laughably easy to beat. I suffered no drop at all in HP (or any status condition) for the entire match, which is saying something, since that's supposed to be the Champion right there. I can very strongly say that this particular team of Dragons definitely needs some improvement.

Years
N SHOULD BE CHAMPION. That's jut common sense. Iris is useless. She just doesn't shape up to the likes of Lance, Cynthia, Wallace and least of all, STEVEN (I <3 him)

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I felt like Iris was undeserving of the title, she did nothing to earn it. Plus her team is quite boring, just a bunch of dragons plus Archeops which seems to be on every boss team.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I felt like Iris was undeserving of the title, she did nothing to earn it. Plus her team is quite boring, just a bunch of dragons plus Archeops which seems to be on every boss team.

I just recently beat Black 2 and accordingly, beat Iris. And she has only exacerbated my feelings of how undeserving of the title she was. Conclusion; way to easy. :|

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
oh my Arceus, definitely not.

I swept her team the first time I battled her, only taking damage about three times. Her team definitely needed some work. And considering she beat Alder to gain his spot, that's saying something, as Alder was better IMO.

Aside from the music, the atmosphere, and that awesome VS screen, there really isn't much about Iris to write home about, compared to past champions (especially Cynthia, my personal favorite). There was always something about battling the other champions that gave you that "OMG" feeling. I'll admit it was slightly unexpected to see her there, but considering she's a dragon trainer, I wish her team had been more dragon oriented like Lance's, instead of 3 dragons and 3 randoms.

tl;dr: too easy, needs more Cynthia. xD

Years
I didn't even know who Iris was when I went to fight her in B2. I suppose since she was a version exclusive gym leader, 50% of players don't care about her at all and the other 50% probably thought meh.

Throw in the fact that I beat her first time with a really underlevelled team that struggled against the E4 and I think she might be the worst champion.

Cheren would've been good.

DelightedTurk

Hipsterest Hypno in the land
Years
I think that Cheren would have been a really good Champion. He had such desire to become the Champion in the original BW game, and despite him being annoying when I heard of BW2 coming out I was sure I'd be him. I found Iris incredibly easy if I'm being honest which was disappointing..

Back