• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokémon Pure Gold

ZodiacDaGreat

Working on a Mobile System
Years

Thread Version 1.0.0

[a id]intro[/a id]Introduction

The Pokémon Gold, Silver & Crystal Versions were the popular second generation games from Nintendo, they inspired this hack. I've always wanted a G/S/C remake on the third generation of the Gameboy Advance console and with the Fire Red & Leaf Green graphic set.

With this, you will wake up one day and find your neighbour Professor Elm looking for you. Upon visiting him, you get a request to visit his acquaintance and your very own Pokémon as you have always dreamed of having. After visiting Mr. Pokémon, you decide to embark on your own adventure and a quest to complete the PokéDex that Professor Oak just gave.

Along the way, you'll face tough challenges, meet friends & foes, discover secrets, make legend and most importantly - have fun. Do you have what it takes?

[a id]info[/a id]Hack Information

Name: Pokémon Pure Gold
Code Base: Pokémon Ruby Version [AXVE]
Author: ZodiacDaGreat
Major Helpers: HackMew, Mastermind_X & Interdpth
Language: English

Progress
~Brushing or Polishing up for a beta release~

Programs Used
  • AdvanceMap
  • Advance Palette Editor
  • A-Trainer
  • Assembler from DevkitARM
  • Door Manager
  • Hex Workshop
  • Item Manager
  • Lips IPS Patcher
  • Overworld Editor - Rebirth Edition
  • Trader Advanced
  • Tileset Manager
  • unLZ.GBA Hacked Version
  • VisualBoyAdvance
  • VisualBoyAdvance Debugger
  • VisualBoyAdvance Hacker's Editon
  • eXtreme Script Editor

[a id]features[/a id]Features

Since I've used Pokémon Ruby Version as base, there's a lot of lackings. To overcome this and to make sure that certain features are possible, I've resort to ASM hacking - hacking of the game's original code, one way or another to accomplish what I intend to do. In the future, there will be more and more ASM hacks applied which will contribute to the success of this hack as a remake. My sincere thanks goes the people who've taught me the GBA assembly language.

Fire Red & Leaf Green Graphics
Although the base game is Ruby version, the graphics of it in plain words is that it sucks :P A lot of modification has been done to the tilesets, backgrounds, textboxes and so on. In the future there'll be even more :)

Time Events
It is known that Ruby version has a Real Time Clock (RTC) but it wasn't really used to the full extent, in this hack it will be misused - badly. There you have it: Day Night System[Morning, Day, Afternoon, Evening, and Night], Apricorn & Berry System, Seasons and other timed events will unfold.

Classic Tunes
The classics that you loved from G/S/C is back. There will also be different tunes for the different time periods, just be sure not to doze off to sleep..

Miscellaneous
Most of the other features of the G/S/C will be implemented if possible, this is all thanks to ASM work eg. Ruins of Alph puzzles, Phone call system, Clothes System, Money Savings, National Dex... There's just too many to name.

With all these features, all I can say is Ruby has been hacked extensively lol

[a id]screen[/a id]Screenshots

14b17om.png
9584128-c2d
9584129-625
9584130-5dc
9584131-7f2
9584132-264
9584145-374
9584146-9cc
9584147-aa6
9584148-26b
9584149-009
9584207-6fa
9584208-396
9584209-c94

[a id]vids[/a id]Videos

Pure Gold Titlescreen - View it here. Thanks to tanui.

[a id]bug[/a id]Bugs & Glitches

This are mainly scripting and programming errors that tend to mess up game play, usually due to my carelessness and error. There are three sections: Bugs, Oddities, & Glitches.
To make sure that Pokémon Pure Gold is as clean as ever, I'd need all your help; so let me know if there's any weird things going on - Be sure not to use save states when playing. Oh and no cheating ;)

Bugs
  • Currently there's nothing.

Oddities

Glitches

[a id]credits[/a id]Credits & Thanks

The following contributed to this hack in one way or another. Please note that this list is not in any particular order.

The G/S/C Platinum
A lot of graphics from them have been used either directly or as inspiration purposes.

HackMew & Mastermind_X
You two are one of the greatest hackers I've known in all time, I'm glad and honored to know you XD You both are what I'am now, I remember those countless hours of bothering you. My heart felt gratitude goes to you both :)

Matt & Cearn
Matt aka interdpth and Cearn helped increased my GBA knowledge, you have to say that ASM works hand in hand with the hardware so without the hardware it's null. Matt also gives me advice everytime I ask - hope it wasn't a bother :nervous: We don't call you old skool for nothing huh Matt?

Nitram & ~Teh Panda~
Gratitude goes to Nitram aka Martin :) for teaching me CSS long time ago and ~Teh Panda~ for reminding me about the CSS bbcode used in this thread. Thanks guys.

Aminex
Dude... Thanks for doing the music for my hack. I'll ask you to do more when you're active ^^

Zel
For some of the resources used in Shiny Gold. While working on the hack I had to refer to Shiny Gold, Gold Version, and so on. Shiny Gold sure is guidance and inspiration to fellow G/S/C remakers. I'd leave a personal message to Zel here, "Don't give up, you've come too far to give up on Shiny Gold :)"

ash2000
He's my beta tester. Speaking honestly here, beta testing can be boring and takes a lot of patience and loyalty - especially when you're torn between keeping the private beta to yourself or to someone who keeps bugging you and pleading and all. So... Thank you ash2000 ;)

The Tool Makers & Myself :P
Tools are always easier than HEX and those gibberish numbers. They are deserve a thumbs up and a round of applause XD

Supporting Pure Gold
Fanbar 1
amqnmh.jpg

Code:
[PLAIN][URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=202176"][IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/amqnmh.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/PLAIN]
Fanbar 2
waqdu0.jpg

Code:
[PLAIN][URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=202176"][IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/waqdu0.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/PLAIN]

[a id]awards[/a id]Awards and Claims

2ikxh8i.png

Claims
- First ruby hack to date to feature the dual text boxes of Fire Red.
- First hack to a close to complete animated title screen.
- First ruby hack to have a completely hacked Trainer Card.
and more to come.

[a id]help[/a id]Help

White screen problem
Help, I patched my ROM and when I run the game I get a white screen. This is most likely that your save type isn't compatible, goto Emulator=>Save Type=>128K. If not, then there can be chances that your ROM is corrupted or wasn't patched properly.

[a id]beta[/a id]Downloads

Alpha - Click Here

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022
First post ftw =]

This looks pretty legit so far. I love RSE GSC remakes, but the only other one I've really seen even up to this date(besides my own confections LOL) was CrystalShards. This is esque to that, of course, which is legit in itself.

I'll be looking foward to a release. :)

Btw, some advice, the features are pretty nice in this, but I hope you don't let them and tools take over the hack. Gameplay should be the main focus. Just saying.

Also, would you mind showing us something on the clothing system? =]. Seems interesting...

Last edited:

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
.com said:
First post ftw =]

This looks pretty legit so far. I love RSE GSC remakes, but the only other one I've really seen even up to this date(besides my own confections LOL) was CrystalShards. This is esque to that, of course, which is legit in itself.

I'll be looking foward to a release.

Btw, some advice, the features are pretty nice in this, but I hope you don't let them and tools take over the hack. Gameplay should be the main focus. Just saying.

Also, would you mind showing us something on the clothing system? =]. Seems interesting...
Thanks :) What do you mean by let the tools take over? XD Yes, I agree - Gameplay comes first... Therefore I'm open to your suggestions and tell you what I think also.

Clothes system? :P Sure... I wasn't the first to do this though - On Ruby maybe yes :D I can't do the screens though, cause it doesn't look real XD

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022
Thanks :) What do you mean by let the tools take over? XD Yes, I agree - Gameplay comes first... Therefore I'm open to your suggestions and tell you what I think also.

Clothes system? :P Sure... I wasn't the first to do this though - On Ruby maybe yes :D I can't do the screens though, cause it doesn't look real XD
I mean, like, let the hack gain popularity only by its features and tools involved in it, and look past basing it around fresh gameplay too.

and why does it matter if it doesn't look real? lol. But really, if you're up to it besides that, it would be nice to see ;)

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
Okay... I hate to see people say I edited the palette in Photoshop or something like that.
nohk3o.png
54akus.png

There it is. One's normal or default clothing and the second's changed after talking to that old lady. Currently, the clothes change will take effect after the map refreshes. But there's simple way to overcome it, simply copy the new clothes palette directly :P

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
oh nice! something to keep us occupied till the HGSS comes out. I dont like your morning and sunset tints. Morning doesnt look good greenish. maybe a shade of yellow? and evening should be a bit lighter.

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
Aljam said:
oh nice! something to keep us occupied till the HGSS comes out. I dont like your morning and sunset tints. Morning doesnt look good greenish. maybe a shade of yellow? and evening should be a bit lighter.
Thanks. I'll see what I can do about the colors.

Masterge77 said:
*facepalm* oh great, it's THIS hack again, sheesh, was'nt ShinyGold enough, and we already have HGSS
Whatever floats your boat my friend ^^ Shiny Gold isn't completed yet and HGSS is still different in some ways.

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
Years
i will defenalitly keep an eye on this. is the any notched ear pichu events? or this a full remake of the origanal?

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
Years
Well Zodiac, you've outdone yourself! This is looking nice! I like how Ruby has been made to look like Fire Red! Just curious, and I know you're a long way away, but how will Kanto work without a Region Map?! Anyways, good luck bro!

Glitch.

maybe making a comeback
Years
Well Zodiac, you've outdone yourself! This is looking nice! I like how Ruby has been made to look like Fire Red! Just curious, and I know you're a long way away, but how will Kanto work without a Region Map?! Anyways, good luck bro!
yeah thats right how will he?
maybe make a new item that is a kanto world map?
idk if thats possible though

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
Zeikku™ said:
Thanks :) That's my major goal, to make people playing the game think that it wasn't built on Ruby :D I guess I'll study how the map works on Fire Red and port it to Ruby. If its just a plain kanto map than it's easy but with labels and all... It becomes harder.

mrhaxmaster said:
yeah thats right how will he?
maybe make a new item that is a kanto world map?
idk if thats possible though
Yeah, that's do-able. But like I said early, it becomes way too easy if I just show the map and only the map XD

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
how come some of the best rom hackers only make gsc remakes?
Ahhh the screen shots look nice. I can't wait to play/see some of your asm you will use. I love gold so I will definitely play this.

Greatest hopes for this hack. Nice job your great O.o amazing.

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
NarutoActor said:
how come some of the best rom hackers only make gsc remakes?
Ahhh the screen shots look nice. I can't wait to play/see some of your asm you will use. I love gold so I will definitely play this.

Greatest hopes for this hack. Nice job your great O.o amazing.
Hehehe.... True's up... I guess we like to test our capabilities :P Oro Sole along with Pure Gold is one of those hardcore hacked ones XD

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2016
Finally, the thread is up.
Well, all I have to say you probably already know. This hack looks amazing, especially because its based off of Ruby. Not too many people hack RSE nowadays.
Anyways, knowing you, you probably inserted a crapload of ASM stuff in there... Can't wait!

DreadWaffle

LOVE AND PEACE!
Years
question, what are you using in your hack for daytime events

also on a critics note:

I think that the fact that you are using almost everything FR and LG is extremely well executed

also on a other note:

the intro does not look as the FR and LG one completely, which i like

that is all

P.S. i would totally put a banner in my sig if you had some
P.S.S. i like the fact that people who r da bomb at hacking only make G/S/C remakes
P.S.S.S. no one will stop making G/S/C remakes when HG/SS come out in engrish (oh yes i said ingrish)
P.S.S.S.S. i like puddin

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
Liquid Shadow said:
Finally, the thread is up.
Well, all I have to say you probably already know. This hack looks amazing, especially because its based off of Ruby. Not too many people hack RSE nowadays.
Anyways, knowing you, you probably inserted a crapload of ASM stuff in there... Can't wait!
Haha... Yeah, crapload :P Thanks :) I think R/S versions are popular among spanish hackers, I mean you see a lot of them hacking Ruby.

DreadWaffle said:
question, what are you using in your hack for daytime events

also on a critics note:

I think that the fact that you are using almost everything FR and LG is extremely well executed

also on a other note:

the intro does not look as the FR and LG one completely, which i like

that is all

P.S. i would totally put a banner in my sig if you had some
P.S.S. i like the fact that people who r da bomb at hacking only make G/S/C remakes
P.S.S.S. no one will stop making G/S/C remakes when HG/SS come out in engrish (oh yes i said ingrish)
P.S.S.S.S. i like puddin
Thanks ^^ Uh, what do you mean what I'm using? It'll be scripting of course? Oh and about the graphics, I really need to change the menu navigation arrows and some other stuff, as for the intro I'll have to find a way to recode it and use the bigger sprites just like Fire Red and Leaf Green. Thanks for your comments ^^

Back