• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Just thought I'd share... My friend is doing a Clefairy solo run, where the only move Clefairy is allowed is Metronome. He hacked the move in at the beginning, and made it infinite. Battles against Bug Catchers are really funny when you use Fire Blast.

MiniM00se

Toad in a stroller
Years
What about a challenge kinda like a solo, except you use a full team of that Pokemon?

For instance, instead of a solo run with an Arbok, you'd have a team of 6 Arbok!

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
A team based off what people in the manga use?

Except their are too few Manga Characters and the all only have like 6-8 Pokemon. Not enough variety as Anime Characters.

dragon0fangz

account moved to 649
Years
Well, ive always wanted a random moveset challenge. ive already tried it, but it will require a lot of hacking. Basically, you just pick a random pokemon, hack a random ability, hack in random types, and replace its learnset with randomly chosen moves. its awesome.
Ive already tried it with a fire/steel Nidorina, which knows Swords Dance, Fire Punch, Mirror Coat, and Luster Purge. Awesome moveset! also, ability is Guts.
Its best to use YAPE, btw.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
What about a challenge kinda like a solo, except you use a full team of that Pokemon?

For instance, instead of a solo run with an Arbok, you'd have a team of 6 Arbok!

Been done, mono species.

A team based off what people in the manga use?

Except their are too few Manga Characters and the all only have like 6-8 Pokemon. Not enough variety as Anime Characters.

That was the Pick-a-Character challenge, but it died. There's currently an anime challenge, but no manga challenge. And there are plenty of manga characters. They don't have to be main to use their teams.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
That was the Pick-a-Character challenge, but it died. There's currently an anime challenge, but no manga challenge. And there are plenty of manga characters. They don't have to be main to use their teams.

Hmmm ... Pick a Character sounds better than the Anime one, I hope the Anime Challenge doesnt die ... Because I've just started it

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, that's why manga and anime were put together. And besides, since it was pick a character, you could probably pick someone from the game rather than just strictly anime or manga.

Anyway guys, big idea here! I was playing Pokemon Colosseum yesterday, and I thought of a challenge. No purification challenge for either Colosseum or XD. But before any of y'all go off posting that, I recommended it as an event for the Get Together this year. :) If it gets approved, I'll work on the rules a little more. But I'm telling you guys this cause I'm a little worried as to how many people would participate, because you have to own a copy of either Colosseum or XD. So, would anyone here participate if it goes through? I'm just afraid it won't be successful since not everyone has these games. Just want a head count, estimate, whatever. Ya know. :)

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Yeah, that's why manga and anime were put together. And besides, since it was pick a character, you could probably pick someone from the game rather than just strictly anime or manga.

Anyway guys, big idea here! I was playing Pokemon Colosseum yesterday, and I thought of a challenge. No purification challenge for either Colosseum or XD. But before any of y'all go off posting that, I recommended it as an event for the Get Together this year. :) If it gets approved, I'll work on the rules a little more. But I'm telling you guys this cause I'm a little worried as to how many people would participate, because you have to own a copy of either Colosseum or XD. So, would anyone here participate if it goes through? I'm just afraid it won't be successful since not everyone has these games. Just want a head count, estimate, whatever. Ya know. :)

I probably wouldn't even though I have Colosseum.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That's fine. :) At least you're honest about it. I hate when people are like "dude i'll totally do this challenge" and they never really sign up or just sign up and you never hear from them again.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
That's fine. :) At least you're honest about it. I hate when people are like "dude i'll totally do this challenge" and they never really sign up or just sign up and you never hear from them again.

The only reason is because I'm not too fond of Colesseum and because my Wii is hooked up to the family TV and I wouldn't want to hog that tv..

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
But before any of y'all go off posting that, I recommended it as an event for the Get Together this year.

What's the get together?

And I'll participate in whatever it was. As long as I don't have any other commitments like school or stuff.

Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2013
Not sure if this has been done before, what about themed triplets for a challenge? For example, you get to choose 3 pokemon, but they might have to behave in a similar way, or look similar. Few examples that come to mind could be say.. Rhydon, Tyranitar and Aggron, or Kabutops, Scyther and Scizor. The triplets have similar abilities and behave similarly, but there's still a good mix for move sets. Not sure if this would add a challenge, but it seems different to all the monotype teams or solo challenges, could be worth a try.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Not sure if this has been done before, what about themed triplets for a challenge? For example, you get to choose 3 pokemon, but they might have to behave in a similar way, or look similar. Few examples that come to mind could be say.. Rhydon, Tyranitar and Aggron, or Kabutops, Scyther and Scizor. The triplets have similar abilities and behave similarly, but there's still a good mix for move sets. Not sure if this would add a challenge, but it seems different to all the monotype teams or solo challenges, could be worth a try.
You know? I don't think this has been done before. Sounds interesting, too, I'd do it.

My turn. I suggested this for the get-together, wanted to see how many people would do it here. Would anyone be interested in a team-relay race? It's like this.

1. Get in a team of three.
2. The first person starts the game and plays through the first three gym leaders (unless we do Johto).
3. The first person transfers the game to the second person, via e-mail, any instant messenger, or I'm sure you could just upload the file somewhere and they could download it.
4. The second person beats gym leaders 4, 5, and 6, then sends it to teammate three.
5. The third person finishes with gym 7, 8, and the Elite Four. Then, he screencaps the final time. Whichever team gets the fastest time wins!
6. If we were doing Johto, it could either be: member one goes through gym 6, two goes through elite four and first three Kanto Gyms, and three goes through red, OR after 3 beats the elite four, he can transfer back to one and they could do it again with the Kanto Gyms.

This would require more thinking on your feet, because not everyone plays Pokemon the same way, don't use the same HM Slaves, etc. What do you guys think? Would anyone do this?

EDIT: OHHHHHHHH YEAH! I forgot. I started my No-Pokecenter-Run today. I'm recording this whole challenge. So there you go, Ace Dragonite, but I'm at least using Marts for now. I might do a no Center/ No Mart run after I get the no center part down.

Last edited:

Master Strife

The Local BAMF
Years
These are challenges I've done:
Contests challenge: A pokemon's moves must be all the same contest type: smart, beauty, etc. For my treecko I stuck with smart. worked out for me :D

Moveset challenge: As your pokemon learns new moves, the newest move will replace the oldest move, no matter what moves they are. TM's are not allowed. HM's, when taught, will still replace the oldest move when taught. This is honestly the hardest challenge I've done.

Split-game Challenge: Using any games that come in threes(Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald; Diamond, Pearl, Platinum; and so on) play all 3 at once. However, once a pokemon is caught in one game, it cannot be used in the others. For example: you catch a poochyena in Emerald. You can't use a poochyena or it's evolution in Sapphire or Ruby. The games should be kept at about the same place in the story at once. It took me forever to beat this challenge.

Restriction Challenge: Starters are excluded from the following: Roll a dice and see what it lands on. Anything from 2-6. Let's say it lands on 3. Then, every third pokemon in the pokedex, including it's evolution, if it evolves, can't be used in game. The pre-evolutions are allowed, but not that pokemon, or what it evolves into. Use the region dex, or the national dex, depends on how challenging you want it to be. I used region on Diamond, and I rolled a two. I was tempted to roll again.

Random Favorite Challenge: (This challenge will most likely involve Action Replay usage) Make a list of your top 6 pokemon in every type. Make sure you have them arranged from favorite to least favorite. Then, get someone to pick 6 random types. Let's say they pick: Dark, Grass, Fire, Electric, Ground, Bug. Then, you have to arrange a team depending on what they chose. Since dark was first, use you favorite dark type. Then, since it was second, your second favorite grass, and so on. When I did this, I ended up with 5/6 being weak to electric. Though, it can be pretty fun. This is the one I do every time a new generation is made.

I made all of these myself. If there are ones similiar like them out there, I never saw them.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
These are challenges I've done:
Contests challenge: A pokemon's moves must be all the same contest type: smart, beauty, etc. For my treecko I stuck with smart. worked out for me

Moveset challenge: As your pokemon learns new moves, the newest move will replace the oldest move, no matter what moves they are. TM's are not allowed. HM's, when taught, will still replace the oldest move when taught. This is honestly the hardest challenge I've done.

Split-game Challenge: Using any games that come in threes(Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald; Diamond, Pearl, Platinum; and so on) play all 3 at once. However, once a pokemon is caught in one game, it cannot be used in the others. For example: you catch a poochyena in Emerald. You can't use a poochyena or it's evolution in Sapphire or Ruby. The games should be kept at about the same place in the story at once. It took me forever to beat this challenge.

Restriction Challenge: Starters are excluded from the following: Roll a dice and see what it lands on. Anything from 2-6. Let's say it lands on 3. Then, every third pokemon in the pokedex, including it's evolution, if it evolves, can't be used in game. The pre-evolutions are allowed, but not that pokemon, or what it evolves into. Use the region dex, or the national dex, depends on how challenging you want it to be. I used region on Diamond, and I rolled a two. I was tempted to roll again.

Random Favorite Challenge: (This challenge will most likely involve Action Replay usage) Make a list of your top 6 pokemon in every type. Make sure you have them arranged from favorite to least favorite. Then, get someone to pick 6 random types. Let's say they pick: Dark, Grass, Fire, Electric, Ground, Bug. Then, you have to arrange a team depending on what they chose. Since dark was first, use you favorite dark type. Then, since it was second, your second favorite grass, and so on. When I did this, I ended up with 5/6 being weak to electric. Though, it can be pretty fun. This is the one I do every time a new generation is made.

I made all of these myself. If there are ones similiar like them out there, I never saw them.

I really, really like all of these. :) I wouldn't mind actually doing that favorite one...seems really cool. And the one where you replace moves as they come, I wouldn't mind giving that a shot either. I've thought of that one long ago before I came to PC, actually. But I really like your ideas. :D Very refreshing spin from all the monos and stuff.

Master Strife

The Local BAMF
Years
I really, really like all of these. :) I wouldn't mind actually doing that favorite one...seems really cool. And the one where you replace moves as they come, I wouldn't mind giving that a shot either. I've thought of that one long ago before I came to PC, actually. But I really like your ideas. :D Very refreshing spin from all the monos and stuff.
Thanks! I'm always trying to think of new challenges, so expect more from me! :)

Years
I didn't read all thread... Maybe challenge where you must get all pokemon you can get in game without trading. Just all pokemon you can find in grass/from NPC, evolve them and grind them all to at least 65 lvl, then use any one you want in your team to beat Gym/E4. Of course must beat the game later, without cheating. Name every single one you find. I tried to did it on Emerald... Very hard thing, even with 1000% speed ^^. Was this idea before? If yes, don't mind me then :s

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Thanks! I'm always trying to think of new challenges, so expect more from me!

Awesome sauce. In fact, I think I might make that favorite challenge. I love using favorites. :> Only thing weird I find about it is trying to think of 6 favorites for each type. Would we put them in our sign up post? That's what I would think, cause people could lie and say "oh my 3rd favorite fire type is Ho-oh". Which also leads me to question whether or not legendaries are allowed. I say they should be, since they can be considered a favorite. But then again, I wouldn't want the person assigning my types to really know my favorites, cause they might purposely assign them so that I'm stuck with Mareep, Sunkern, etc. (They're not my favorites, just an example. XD)

Only reason I'm asking is cause I'm actually trading my SoulSilver stuff onto my Platinum for storage cause I really think I will start this challenge. :) And since you came up with it, I wouldn't wanna kill the challenge you made. XD

I didn't read all thread... Maybe challenge where you must get all pokemon you can get in game without trading. Just all pokemon you can find in grass/from NPC, evolve them and grind them all to at least 65 lvl, then use any one you want in your team to beat Gym/E4. Of course must beat the game later, without cheating. Name every single one you find. I tried to did it on Emerald... Very hard thing, even with 1000% speed ^^. Was this idea before? If yes, don't mind me then :s

Too much grinding for my tastes, but a similar challenge to that is the Catch'em All Challenge, only that one requires a full Dex and level 100 iirc.

Last edited:

Master Strife

The Local BAMF
Years
Awesome sauce. In fact, I think I might make that favorite challenge. I love using favorites. :> Only thing weird I find about it is trying to think of 6 favorites for each type. Would we put them in our sign up post? That's what I would think, cause people could lie and say "oh my 3rd favorite fire type is Ho-oh". Which also leads me to question whether or not legendaries are allowed. I say they should be, since they can be considered a favorite. But then again, I wouldn't want the person assigning my types to really know my favorites, cause they might purposely assign them so that I'm stuck with Mareep, Sunkern, etc. (They're not my favorites, just an example. XD)

Well, I've done this challenge for every region except sinnoh so far and every time, I never picked legendaries. Mostly because I think it's cheap and also, because they're not my favorites :p. And what's the point of starting a challenge if you're gonna cheat? I do it just for fun. I would hope I could trust people to not lie about their favorites. I also wouldn't tell my favorites, just in case someone wants be a jerk like in your example. And maybe there can be a legends version and a no legends version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back