• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
by the by if anyone can get over 87% on a research essay, having completing it 3 hours before it was due (with research already complete), then please contact me, and I will give you praise!

I'm friends with a handful of psycho-geniuses offline who did this for a number of their college papers.

However, I take twenty-four hours to get the same effect, so sorry.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
You won't learn if we do your work. You can pull it off on your own, trust me. First and foremost, though, you should probably stay away from the lounge, and the internet in general for that matter.

Ugh, I sound like a parent.

[Self-insert question]

I give all of my characters at least one of my characteristics. Helps me relate to them.

Noooo I lives thar! *pouts like a child*.

Then again, I'm the kind of guy who likes writing under stress...

Not sure how that might affect quality though, then again, one could wonder what would have happened had I actually taken the time to write it.

I'm friends with a handful of psycho-geniuses offline who did this for a number of their college papers.

However, I take twenty-four hours to get the same effect, so sorry.

I find that English essays aren't has involved as other subjects, in terms of research/writing amount, as at least for me it comes naturally. I wouldn't call myself a psycho genius though. I'd probably label myself as a "hyper-procrastinator" lol

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Depending on the difficulty of your courses and the particular essay, 87% could make you a psycho-genius. :P "Hyper-procrastinator" says nothing about intelligence.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Feign, I could do the essay, but I won't. Most of my greatest works have been completed moments before the deadline.

When creating your main character, what part of that character (might) resemble you the most? (looks, personality, life experience etc)

Personality, if anything.It feels awkward placing me into a story, nothing is too fantastic about my life. Just your everyday average Joe..

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Haha XD nice. The particular research essay I mentioned was one in regards to "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Jane *Something* (no not Austin).

Forgot to mention earlier, but I tend to have a really wild imagination, while not necessarily as an original sense, it is interesting to look at something at a 3rd person perspective, when not actually having the source material in front of you.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I find that English essays aren't has involved as other subjects, in terms of research/writing amount, as at least for me it comes naturally.

My friends that I was referring to are government and computer science majors. XD

But I, meanwhile, get distracted by shiny objects on a frequent basis, so.

As for English essays, in college, they tend to get a bit harder because you really have to pull analysis out of your rear and make it sound good, logical, and not-so-redundant. Looking up criticism usually helps, as does actually paying attention to the days when your class is going over the material. So, yeah, in high school and earlier than that, it's not as bad. College (though it depends on which school you go to)... might not be as much.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Yeah the research portion did help me a lot, and I think, taking it as your own, helps too. That is to say, if someone thinks x story was a dream or something or basically something other than you believe. I like how I can also use evidence to point it out as being real. And it definitely helps if you have a prof, who recognizes that as long as the essay has its proof, that he or she cannot be bias in that matter, especially if they had researched that topic in the past, and had already come into conclusion with it.

On another note, in the back of my head, I am planning to do another one shot similar to that of my zombie one. I am trying to think of a good disaster to culminate the pokeverse, and so far I have come up with Nuclear fallout, and ice age. This isn't to rewrite a zombie plot, but rather to set up a new disaster. I just find that both examples thus far, seem to be *too quick*.

Hmmm perhaps I could do something like an ice age, only that, instead of just affecting one side of the planet, everywhere else is affected too. I mean you can't have an ice age without some serious hotspots, I'd imagine? (Am I correct in saying that, I'm not that scientifically knowledged for that). Perhaps I should not confuse myself on weather mechanics and find something easier.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
When creating your main character, what part of that character (might) resemble you the most? (looks, personality, life experience etc)
It's pretty easy to not to let my characters look like me or have my past, but personality is a whole different manner. I'm starting to notice that even if my character doesn't act like me at all (not having my polite and quiet temperament, for example), they have the little quirks that make me, me or have some of my beliefs.

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
Years

People think it's strange, but I never create my characters to myself. On the contrary, I probably have no character that resembles me, I try to get as fas away from myself as possible. I think it's because of the challenge, but also because I like not being myself for a little bit. So, no, I never deliberately put anything from myself into the characters.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
English essays? Bah, now you've reminded me of my practise ones that need doing. D=

Have you ever written a fic that you were confident of that never got posted? If so, why? Do you think you will ever get back to it?

Nope.

Well, I've written stories that I haven't posted, but not fanfics. And... yeah!

Do you prefer to write fanfiction or original fiction? Why?

Hmm. I don't really know if I definitely prefer one over the other or not - I find both fun, really, with their pros and cons. I do find the canon thing to be a sort of interesting challenge, but with parodies there's no need to be too much for a sticker for it (although I do try to keep characters in... well, character after all - or leastways as much character as they were given for starters). I guess it varies from time to times as well - if anything it depends on my mood and what I feel like writing.

Hmm... idk, really. In fanfics looks aren't it, I daresay (canon character, and a Houndour XD), and the personalities... vary a bit too. Some may have a few similarites to me, but they're not really all too similar to myself, I have to say. Same for the life experiances part. XD I normall just come up with the character's identity, looks, etc without thought to myself - if it comes along I may use it, but I don't search for it there in myself. If that makes sense.

Bay

Years
Heh, when writing essays, I usually try to get them done a couple days before the deadline so that I can have time to have either my TA or one of my friends have a quick look and then do the final edits. One of my TAs even looked through my rough draft essays during lecture and would give me pointers on how to make the essay better right after. XD

There was only one time I did an essay last minute, but it's only because I had work, one other essay, calculus homework, and a midterm to study. >.> The funniest part is when I turned in that essay, I was one of only two people in the whole class that have the essay completed and then the TA said the due date will be during the final instead. XD And oh, that essay I have to watch two movies and compare and contrast them. XD;

Most of the time the characters will have the same personality as me. However, I have Bunny from NE almost the same height as me. XD

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Shizzle! I go to a movie, and I come back to an explosion of activity!

The main character of my current baby is nothing at all like me. He's self-assured, confident, and lusts for adventure. I do, however, have trouble identifying with him. D: I also often give my characters my hair colour. Dunno why. *is loopy*

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
I don't know about anyone else, and I'll rarely do this with the main character, who I like to be flawed, but I'll often design a character that has many qualities that I wish I had. Namely, he/she has has similar goals in life that I have, but are working towards them/have achieved them, even unrealistic ones. :P

Lash

Years
For my current fics character,the characters name is the same as mine, he shares the same love for music I do.
And, he is a bit of a dumbass, yet another one of my traits.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
Mark of the Quest for the Legends shares... one aspect of his backstory with me, which is having an encounter with constructive criticism that eventually inspired him to do better. That and his trainer ID is my Gold and Yellow IDs spliced together, but I don't think that really counts. In other respects, I wouldn't really say he's anything like me. (This gets annoying when my mom starts reading the story and is absolutely convinced that if my main character considers his parents to be overprotective, that must mean I do, because STORIES ARE NEVER FICTIONAL.)

I don't really think I tend to make main characters anything at all like myself on the whole. For one thing, I prefer to write about boys while I myself am a girl, and most of my main characters are dark-haired while I am blonde. Personality-wise, even when I'm trying to write a self-insert the character turns out nothing like me. It's at most the characters having some life experiences I might have had, and I don't really think I can think of any examples of that from my current work other than Mark.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Hmm, this is something I've found myself doing recently with my fic, and I'd like to know how common it is.

Do you establish a dialogue with your reviewers?
I do. I find myself constantly replying to reviews and trying to discuss with the reviewer how I could make things clearer/better. Maybe it's just because of my lack of experience and the considerable experience of some people who have looked over my fic, but I really enjoy hearing reader input onto how I could change things, and discussing their opinions with them.

Misheard Whisper

Years

Absolutely. I always like to review my reviews, so to speak. It's good that you see this, so carry on doing it. I enjoy chatting to a writer. It shows that they actually care about the feedback they're getting and don't just skim it and ignore it. TL;DR XDDDDDDDD

That sort of thing sickens me. I've been horribly treated for my reviews in the past, and I never reviewed that author again, and never will. Writers need to respect their reviewers just as much as the reviewers need to respect them. Then we have a nice dynamic going on, and people feel more comfortable. As a result, the creative juices flow and relationships form. I like to establish a cross-reviewing policy. I review you, you review me. That way, we both get reviews. I never ask for a review in my posts, though. Just imagine- "i reviewed ur dum story now revew mine or i egg ur house lololololololol kthxbye"

I don't know where that came from. The depth of my depravity amazes me sometimes.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Sparkling Dragon said:
That sort of thing sickens me. I've been horribly treated for my reviews in the past, and I never reviewed that author again, and never will. Writers need to respect their reviewers just as much as the reviewers need to respect them. Then we have a nice dynamic going on, and people feel more comfortable. As a result, the creative juices flow and relationships form.
Had I not rep'd you such a short time ago, I'd rep you again for this. You are absolutely right, and I can remember when I was young, I would go crazy when my parents would praise my work. I didn't know whether or not they sincerely appreciated it, and they'd always declined to give me feedback. Coming here, however, has got me some excellent feedback, and I can see in my short time how important the writer-reviewer relationship is. ^^

Misheard Whisper

Years
That's just the thing. People complain about the anonymity of the internet, but it doesn't mean you can be a total jerkass just cos nobody knows who you are. PokeCommunity, people.

OK, I'm gonna stop with the try-hard stuff now, but the point is there and open for discussion. Good topic, Citrinin.

Bay

Years
Yes, many times. Sometimes I would ask my reviewers why they like this part or if there is a way to slow down the pace of the story. Also, sometimes I would put a couple "Easter Eggs" so I ask if they could find those eggs. :P My reviewers would also ask me questions and I would answer them.

I think this is also why I actually enjoyed reading fanfiction more than novels now these days. I can talk and become friends with the writers here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back