• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The American Politics Discussion Thread

Years
"That's why Labor Unions exist"

I would have been more inclined to agree with you if Unions were not decimated by people of a certain political persuasion.

"Right to Work" states for example... :/

It seriously sucks when you have to study Labor Relations and realize that things went downhill by the 1980's to the point that union membership is mostly relegated in the Public sector. And even THAT is under attack. >_>

Edit: Anyone watched the Third Party debates? It's very interesting to see a more engaging and vigorous debate here.

http://www.c-span.org/Events/Third-Party-Presidential-Debate/10737435220-1/

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
"That's why Labor Unions exist"

I would have been more inclined to agree with you if Unions were not decimated by people of a certain political persuasion.

"Right to Work" states for example... :/

It seriously sucks when you have to study Labor Relations and realize that things went downhill by the 1980's to the point that union membership is mostly relegated in the Public sector. And even THAT is under attack. >_>

I believe that labor unions have the right to exist under the Freedom of Association Clause of the First Amendment; however, the law should not give the unions any advantages in bargaining with employers.

Right to work laws do not harm unions. All they do is give workers the right to choose whether or not they want to join a union. Workers who wish to unionize are free to do so in a right to work state.

Union membership in the private sector can be attributed to a number of factors. Modern legislation such as minimum wage and workplace protections have cause workers to feel like they don't need to join a union, thus having to pay union dues. The outsourcing of jobs at an alarming rate has also cause many of the skilled union jobs to move to countries where labor is cheaper, causing our labor force to move towards a more service-based economy. Service jobs are harder to outsource, since many of them require face-to-face interaction with consumers, but they also tend to be unskilled jobs that require little pay and benefits, and the ease of replacing these workers makes it harder for unions to form in service industries.

The right to unionize should not exist in the public sector. That raging right-wing reactionary FDR even agrees with me on this!

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Has anyone heard of Jill Stein? She's the presidential candidate for The Green Party in the United States. Jill Stein will focus on restoring nature, like building more national parks. She will also support equal rights for everyone (including same sex marriage). Jill Stein will also focus on stopping the gas companies from building fracking machines that would ruin the underground water as well as the rivers and lakes.

If anyone has never heard of The Green Party, they are an environmentally friendly and equal rights type of political party. More information about The Green Party can be read here.

But the thing is... it's really sad that the media never even mentions anything about The Green Party, 'cause they are one of the only decent sort of political party in America. The media surely does like to make it sound like that Obama and Romney are the only choices, but there are much more choices than those two. Jill Stein is a candidate for president, which means she will appear on a ballot paper.

The word about The Green Party needs to be spread, so that people will realize and learn about the political party and Jill Stein.

But of course... it's everyone's decision. If I lived in America, I'd surely would be voting for The Green Party, 'cause kindness will spread... to others that will do the same. ^^

Years
I'm actually a member of the Green Party since that's what I originally joined when I first registered to vote and I've never bothered to change it. I like their stance on most things, more than the stance of the Democratic Party, but I'm still going to Vote Obama/Democratic because I'm afraid of what would happen if certain other parties get into positions of power. (I would go on a tirade against said certain parties, but yeah.)

Actually, I will go on a small tirade. There's a Tea Party backed Republican candidate for the US Senate in Indiana, Richard Mourdock, who's recently said: "I've struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is that gift from God," Mourdock said. "And even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen."

And the Republican Party is still supporting him. Just like they're supporting Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I'm actually a member of the Green Party since that's what I originally joined when I first registered to vote and I've never bothered to change it.
So... uhh... what is this joining a party a thing you Americans do?

If you're registered as something, why bother voting? Just...count that?

Also, for me private unions make sense. Public unions do not. A union in what is essentially a monopolistic industry supported by tax payers makes no sense to me.

And personally I think it's wrong that in union work that you need to pay a fee to maintain that job. I had a union job this summer. I lost money. I also didn't get vacation pay because I was in "the wrong union" I was told. This employer had multiple unions looking after different employees. Apparently, I was in the crappy one. Woo fairness ><

At the very least, you should be able to deny paying your fee without losing your job if you don't agree with some social issue the union may be pushing at the time. If I were Jewish, I wouldn't be pleased with having my pay docked in order to support some anti-Israel campaign, for instance. You should be able to join or not and still get the job. You should be able to work during a strike if you want (if my union were on strike. I wouldn't be out in the strike line. I'd be at home or doing something for myself. How about I work instead?) With all that said though, I think in the majority case, most people would still join and support unions.

Like... even as a student, I have to pay for the student union. Who... does absolutely nothing for me at all. They might put on some events that I don't attend. Or support some social things that just aren't a concern for me at all. I did approach them once for assistance with something and got brushed aside. So.. how about I just keep my money in my pocket? That'd be nice.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Gary Jhonson, on foreign policy, domestic policy, and environmental issues. (73%)
Jill Stein on environmental and healthcare issues (57%)
Barrack Obama on foreign policy issues (59%)
Mitt Romney on immigration and science issues (37%)

About the same as the last time. A few percentages diffriences though, since I didn't bother changing the importance bar for certian questions.

Edit - My responces.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Actually, I will go on a small tirade. There's a Tea Party backed Republican candidate for the US Senate in Indiana, Richard Mourdock, who's recently said: "I've struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is that gift from God," Mourdock said. "And even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen."

And the Republican Party is still supporting him. Just like they're supporting Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin.

Engage rant mode

The fact that this is acceptable is mind numbing. So basically, we have 2 congressional candidates who believe rape is a valid contraception/act of God, we have another congressman who said quote "Evolution is a lie straight from the pit of hell". We also have other GOP legislators from Arkansas named Don Fuqua and Jon Hubbard who thinks the death penalty is permissible for unruly children, we should deport all the Muslims, and slavery was a blessing for black people, respectively. Utterly disgusting.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Engage rant mode

The fact that this is acceptable is mind numbing. So basically, we have 2 congressional candidates who believe rape is a valid contraception/act of God, we have another congressman who said quote "Evolution is a lie straight from the pit of hell". We also have other GOP legislators from Arkansas named Don Fuqua and Jon Hubbard who thinks the death penalty is permissible for unruly children, we should deport all the Muslims, and slavery was a blessing for black people, respectively. Utterly disgusting.

Kind of want to... disagree with you unfortunately. :( I can totally get their point of view - take it from the "everything happens for a reason" mindset, if you believe that there's something that doesn't happen for a reason (and isn't ultimately controlled, like rape as mentioned) then therefore you don't believe that everything has a reason, that not everything has a purpose, and that good won't come out of everything/no end at light of tunnel, etc. I believe in the whole everything happens for a reason, in that everything has an ultimate purpose and I can totally see their mindset here. It's not entirely religious, but it's more of a belief and therefore it's okay/acceptable for them to say because the fact that it is a legitimate belief, and without believing that God intended for it to happen then that flaws their whole logic. It's pretty much make the best of the worse situation. Bad things happen to everyone yeah, and those things, according to some of our mindsets, are for a reason and generally make us stronger as people.

Hope that made sense and didn't go too off-topic! Just wanted to add in another view. Also, to add in, if I'd side with anyone it'd be Democrats, which... might say something? idk.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Engage rant mode

I live in Arkansas, and people like this are a prime example of why I really want to get out of this country The fact that people still support this kind of **** just makes it even worse..

I, partially, agree with the muslim comment though. If we got some that are here illegally, get rid of them. If they are here legally though, leave them alone.

Years

Kind of want to... disagree with you unfortunately. :( I can totally get their point of view - take it from the "everything happens for a reason" mindset, if you believe that there's something that doesn't happen for a reason (and isn't ultimately controlled, like rape as mentioned) then therefore you don't believe that everything has a reason, that not everything has a purpose, and that good won't come out of everything/no end at light of tunnel, etc. I believe in the whole everything happens for a reason, in that everything has an ultimate purpose and I can totally see their mindset here. It's not entirely religious, but it's more of a belief and therefore it's okay/acceptable for them to say because the fact that it is a legitimate belief, and without believing that God intended for it to happen then that flaws their whole logic. It's pretty much make the best of the worse situation. Bad things happen to everyone yeah, and those things, according to some of our mindsets, are for a reason and generally make us stronger as people.

Hope that made sense and didn't go too off-topic! Just wanted to add in another view. Also, to add in, if I'd side with anyone it'd be Democrats, which... might say something? idk.

There can be no logical, rational defense of that kind of commentary. Seriously. By elected officials no less. Particularly ones on the House Board of Science & Technology.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
There can be no logical, rational defense of that kind of commentary. Seriously. By elected officials no less. Particularly ones on the House Board of Science & Technology.

I commend Representative Akin for his principled defense of human life, and I commend Representative Broun for dismissing the evolution myth, and affirming his faith in Christ Our Lord.

Years
I commend Representative Akin for his principled defense of human life, and I commend Representative Broun for dismissing the evolution myth, and affirming his faith in Christ Our Lord.

I would suggest then that Mr. Akin & Mr. Broun and any who think like them to reaquaint themselves with basic biology & geologic principles.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Gary Jhonson, on foreign policy, domestic policy, and environmental issues. (73%)
Jill Stein on environmental and healthcare issues (57%)
Barrack Obama on foreign policy issues (59%)
Mitt Romney on immigration and science issues (37%)

About the same as the last time. A few percentages diffriences though, since I didn't bother changing the importance bar for certian questions.

My results: 95% Jill Stein: on foreign policy, economic, domestic policy, science, social, environmental, immigration, and healthcare issues

90% Barack Obama: on foreign policy, economic, social, science, environmental, and healthcare issues

73% Rocky Anderson: on foreign policy, domestic policy, social, environmental, and healthcare issues

5% Mitt Romney: no major issues

Parties you side with...

99% Democrat 94% Green 25% Libertarian 1% Republican

Why am I not surprised.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I would suggest then that Mr. Akin & Mr. Broun and any who think like them to reaquaint themselves with basic biology & geologic principles.

And that they get off the Science & Technology board.

Seriously. If Religious nutjobs had their way then the earth would only be 5000-6000 years old, the world would be flat, the Earth would be the center of this solar system, medical technology would be lesser then it already is, and we would never have had gone to space because leaving the planet would be seen as leaving God.

Religion. The greatest suppressor of advancement, and the greatest danger to future advancement.

Riku

Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 22, 2021

Akin was Mr. Legitimate Rape, no? How is that defending human life? Also: If Broun is dismissing the evolution theory, then get him and Akin both while you're at it off the Board of Sciences and Technology. Legitimate rape? If someone engages in unwilling penetration of another, that is rape, no ifs ands or buts. And evolution actually has scientific backing, things we can prove. Creationism does not except for a book filled with rhetoric and a heck of a lot of faith.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

How was Akin's statement that women who were "legitimately raped" could not get pregnant commendable in any way? It is factually incorrect at its core. It has nothing to do with protecting human life.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
In case anyone is interested, a definition of 'Faith'
Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Years
I understand that some people find it commendable that a person who believes in the life-at-conception idea or the everything-happens-for-a-reason idea would not compromise their believes and so also believe that rape happens for a reason and that abortion shouldn't be allowed because of it, but I think that when confronted by the the logical progression of this argument to its natural conclusion that if they didn't reevaluate what they believed then there are some serious issues they need to work through.

For a political candidate I think it's an unforgivable viewpoint. It speaks of a lack of understanding of biology (there is no "point" of conception - it's a process) and of sympathy for other human beings (because you'd let someone suffer needlessly for your believe that their suffering is meant to happen).

Years
I seriously do not like having rape discussed as a political issue because of any pro-lifer's views on it. All rape is bad and should never be used by either pro-choice or pro-life as an issue. If anyone believes that "legitimate rape" actually works, why not go talk to a woman who was raped and had a baby she was forced to have because of it?

Todd Akin may stand by his views as pro-life, but he is so wrong. Rape is rape and can never have ANY other definitions to it. Period.

Back