• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

MAJOR Explosion at Boston Marathon

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
People still think that? One of them is clearly Caucasian...and the other appears to be African-American or Hispanic (picture isn't quite clear). Then again, maybe they're secret Muslims. Kidding of course. But yeah, I don't like it when people jump the gun either. Horrendously judgmental.

Yeah looking at the clearer picture Caelus posted, they look Caucasian. I was just looking at comments of the picture on Facebook and there was still many people saying the bombing were caused by Muslims/Koreans. Just a bunch of people full of ignorant bigotry. :(

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
Why would they detonate while they were in the proximity?

Probably so they could run frantically with the rest of the crowd to fit in and avoid any possible suspicions. They probably thought they could get away with something like this given the number of people who were in attendance at the race, but we have some pretty decent pictures/videos of them now. Hopefully justice will be served.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Probably so they could run frantically with the rest of the crowd to fit in and avoid any possible suspicions. They probably thought they could get away with something like this given the number of people who were in attendance at the race, but we have some pretty decent pictures/videos of them now. Hopefully justice will be served.
But wasn't it reported that it was either on a timer or through a detonator?

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
People still think that? One of them is clearly Caucasian...and the other appears to be African-American or Hispanic (picture isn't quite clear). Then again, maybe they're secret Muslims. Kidding of course. But yeah, I don't like it when people jump the gun either. Horrendously judgmental.
This is completely unrelated to the topic at hand but I'll just say it anyways: There are a lot of Caucasian Muslims :p
I'm one. I think. Idek anymore.
Yeah it would make sense for them to try and fit in. I mean the first thing the FBI would have done would be to look through the tapes, and leaving the race early would be quite suspicious.

Let's not forget though, at this point they are still suspects. The only thing the FBI has on them (or told us they have on them) are some witnesses who say one of them set down a backpack, and we all know witnesses can be greatly unreliable especially after the explosion. Memories can get kinda foggy... etc.
But wasn't it reported that it was either on a timer or through a detonator?
They would have tried to blend in regardless, because whatever the method of detonation was, they still had to get in, place the bomb, and get out unseen/unnoticed, in a non-suspicious manner.

Years
Do you think some of the victims did see the backpack being set down, but faced a dilemma because they didn't want to draw any attention? Even if they call the police, if the crowd realizes what's going on there's going to be a panic and the perpetrators might remotely detonate the bomb if they realize the police are going to get there first. And you can't remove the bomb without other people noticing. I just wondered if the fate that day was settled as soon as the perpetrators walked among the crowd.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Do you think some of the victims did see the backpack being set down, but faced a dilemma because they didn't want to draw any attention? Even if they call the police, if the crowd realizes what's going on there's going to be a panic and the perpetrators might remotely detonate the bomb if they realize the police are going to get there first. And you can't remove the bomb without other people noticing. I just wondered if the fate that day was settled as soon as the perpetrators walked among the crowd.

They could have done it in a way that wouldn't draw much attention! I mean why walk in there, place something and walk away?
They could have simply stood next to it for a while then pretended to forget it and leave... etc.
Still, the scenario you described would have been terrifying for the witnesses. D:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This is completely unrelated to the topic at hand but I'll just say it anyways: There are a lot of Caucasian Muslims :p
I'm one. I think. Idek anymore.

Well, I'm aware of that, lol. But more often than not, they're not Caucasian. So if they do turn out to be Muslim (which I hope they aren't because that'd be more fuel for the people that jump to those conclusions) then egg on my face for assuming they're not Muslim. lol

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Well, I'm aware of that, lol. But more often than not, they're not Caucasian. So if they do turn out to be Muslim (which I hope they aren't because that'd be more fuel for the people that jump to those conclusions) then egg on my face for assuming they're not Muslim. lol
Egg on your face then, I guess.

Muslim doesn't mean you look middle eastern.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Egg on your face then, I guess.

Muslim doesn't mean you look middle eastern.

+1

I'm Muslim and I'm Caucasian. People mix up Persian and Arab ethnicity with being Muslim. Chinese people can be Christian. An Arab could be Buddhist. A Hispanic person could be Jewish. Really has nothing to do with it. Just because a certain people is stereotyped as being a certain religion - Arabs being Muslims, Hebrews being Jewish, Americans being Christian - doesn't mean they all are whatsoever, and it certainly doesn't mean that that religion is exclusive to a particular ethnicity either (as I've just proven with my own religious beliefs).

Not to mention, like Christians, there are different levels of "extreme" in Muslim societies. Whereas the Saudi Arabians have so integrated their religion into their politics (interpreting the Book at will and controlling the people with it - think, pre-Marthin Luther and Protestant society), other Muslim societies have developed women's rights and pretty much all of them outside of the Middle-East protest the burkah. I've seen some pretty extremist Christian riots and acts, too, like abortion clinic bombings that are on-par with stuff other people from other religions have done. It's all equally terrifying.

Anyway.

Years
I think it's hard to "look" Middle Eastern. Technically, they're all Caucasian if you go by racial anthropology. And do Greeks look so different from Turks? I can't tell an Israeli Jew from an Arab Muslim. The Lebanese and Syrians look pretty white to me. If you give a Mediterranean man a big beard, he'll looks "Muslim" enough.

Everyone has crazies, religious or not.
But Salafism is a big deal, and you can't say the same of any other religion in the world.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
The older one was probably an extremist. The FBI got reports from Russia that he held radical islam views a few years ago, and the younger one from what I've read wasn't that religious (smoke and drank often) but also called himself a muslim.

And yes, they're Caucasian Muslims out there; country I'm from (Albania) is pretty much all white and 70% of the population follow Islam iirc.

I'll leave these here.

http://www.fromthetrenchesworldrepo...believer-or-do-you-think/41807#comment-396258

http://imgur.com/a/sUrnA

http://rt.com/op-edge/boston-bombers-tsarnaev-brothers-172/

This has been awfully strange since the start.. Never hurts to inform ourselves, you can't trust all that comes out of the TV. Too many interests there controlling. ;)

I don't understand why people think there are conspiracies about this. After seeing this pic, reading about Tamerlan having radical views (Youtube account had videos of other radicals I think), and both of them having bombs and weapons with them when confronted by police it should be pretty clear that they were the ones responsible for it.

If they were innocent they would have just went to the police and clear their names, just like the guy that wore blue who was falsely accused of being a suspect by people on the internet. Instead they shoot an MIT officer for no apparent reason and carjack someone.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
But Salafism is a big deal, and you can't say the same of any other religion in the world.

It's only a big deal because the USA has made it one. Things like this have happened throughout history. There are things of this nature happening elsewhere in the world between different radical groups, but at most it'll get 20sec on the evening news, if acknowledged at all.

I read somewhere that the news adheres to what pertains to the audience. The only reason we think that it's a big deal is because we're not being told the "deals" in other countries and places, unless we specifically search for them online. We might not even react the same because it's not "happening to us" either, and the journalists feed off that reaction. It kind of ties into desensitization where we have become so used to violence on TV and in video games, etc. that it is only appalling or horrific if it happens at home or close to it. Otherwise, the war in Iraq? As far as we're concerned, other people aren't dying; only our soldiers are. Women being raped in crimes of war? Nope, that doesn't exist either /protective-bubble-effect

Plus, with the USA being a "super power" in the world atm, it's not farfetch'd to say that the news is biased towards USA-related events. The only time I ever see a highlight of violence in Europe is when Muslims are thought to be involved. Really, anywhere it's only "news" if Muslims are involved. The USA started that with their "War on Terror" nonsense. I totally get the premise, and it's a somewhat understandable reaction to what happened in '01, but imo it's gone on long enough. No good teaching the next generation to be racist and stereotypical; there's enough of that influence in other forms of media.

Though I'm part of the "government may be behind certain things" people, so my opinion might be different than that of others.

Is there any new "news" about the bombing itself, though?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
This has been the only recent headliner-worthy news:

As he lay seriously injured in a Boston area hospital, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was charged with using a weapon of mass destruction and malicious destruction of property, counts that could bring him the death penalty. He made his first court appearance in an unusual, non-public proceeding in which a federal judge and several lawyers went to his hospital bed.

Source

Other than that, the only thing I've heard is that he can't physically speak since being taken into custody because of a wound to throat. As for that wound, I've heard both that it was inflicted by the police and that it was a failed attempt of suicide while he was in the boat.

Years
Salafism is taking root in many Arab countries that have previously been secular, modernist states. What used to be Arab nationalism is now giving way to an Islamic revival that is more literal than we liberal democrats would like. Jihadism is only comorbid with Salafism, but a growing spirituality and fundamentalism is evident in the Middle East. Even fashions are changing as men are increasingly sporting beards as an expression of their faith - that would've been unfashionable in Mubarak or Hussein's time - and look at al-Assad, but President Morsi has a beard. What they're doing now probably have the great Islamic philosophers rolling in their graves.

Even if it is given more attention than is deserved to the mainstream audience, it is nonetheless a powerful force that is changing how politics is done in the Middle-East and will inevitably affect the entire world. While this is no reason to stereotype Muslims, especially those who live in Western countries (although I feel this needn't be said), it's unfair to say that all religions have their fundies. Christian fundamentalism is a joke if you look at how the debate on homosexuality and abortion have turned out.

Rain Dancer

Wanderer
Years
I don't understand why people think there are conspiracies about this. After seeing this pic, reading about Tamerlan having radical views (Youtube account had videos of other radicals I think), and both of them having bombs and weapons with them when confronted by police it should be pretty clear that they were the ones responsible for it.

If they were innocent they would have just went to the police and clear their names, just like the guy that wore blue who was falsely accused of being a suspect by people on the internet. Instead they shoot an MIT officer for no apparent reason and carjack someone.

Then point out a clear motive that makes sense for them to have done this.

Not that religious brainwashing story. The kids were having a life and certainly they couldn't have fallen for this stupidity.

And explain these pictures that are all over the net http://imgur.com/a/Nx8EU , the inconsistencies and fear mongering all over the story by the media, the drill being in place when the bombings occured, testimonies from friends and families of the two kids about them, the CISPA coincidence, the convenient throat wound that doesn't make sense, the incredible police state tactic the government staged in Boston; effectively throwing the rights of a million people out of the window, treating them like prisoners, over searching for one man.
The police confrontation is up for debate as there's conflicting versions and no videos clearly proving it.

I still don't understand why people think there's no conspiracies about this.

I mean, really. It's been too much going on ever since this took place, and the official version looks like an improvised script that went bad. Many say the government did it. Who knows, but it is possible, and there's plenty of evidence to look at.

Sadly most watch too much TV, and at the sight of a different version on things, reject the whole thing outright without even researching the evidence.. That's not smart. :\

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I mean, really. It's been too much going on ever since this took place, and the official version looks like an improvised script that went bad.

And that's the main reason why I think it hasn't been staged. Reality does look like a badly improvised script. It would be much more suspicious if it seemed "too perfect". But, as you said, it's way too badly executed to be an actual plot and not the result of human beings being forced to act under great deals of stress in short time.

Then point out a clear motive that makes sense for them to have done this.

Not that religious brainwashing story. The kids were having a life and certainly they couldn't have fallen for this stupidity.

And you know that explanation is fake because...?

No, really, do you think that it is more likely that there is a giant conspiration of elected officials and members of the administration to kill three people for some mysterious reasons than it just being the act of two deranged individuals, like Columbine? The first option would require hundreds or thousands of people being "in the know" and hiding it out very well; the second one only requires two guys going crazy- or rather, one bringing his younger brother along. Occam's razor- usually the simplest explanation is the correct one. Not saying this is necessarily the case here, but when giving a first glance at it... yeah.

Oh, also, the older brother was in a FBI suspect watchlist since 2011, after they got a "tip-off" from a Russian source. Although well, there is the chance that they put him in that list two years in advance knowing he'd be in Boston that day so they could blame him for the attacks they were already planning back then, the same way the evil masterminds that be published a message announcing the birth of Kenyan Barack Obama in two Hawaii newspapers the day after he was born knowing that would come in handy several decades later. But it doesn't look very likely.

And explain these pictures that are all over the net http://imgur.com/a/Nx8EU

People on the "conspiracy" mindset looking for "errors" with blurry images you can't really tell properly. You know, they might be right, but I can't say anything about many undated pictures just floating round the interwbez that could have been doctored by anybody- including me, if I had wanted to.

the inconsistencies and fear mongering all over the story by the media

Hello I work for the media. You know how it is when there is a car accident and every police officer tells you X, the victims say Y, a witness says Z and you need to report it as soon as possible because that's what makes your reporting worth it? Well, you get inconsistencies. Or you avoid reporting things people disagree about. Or you say X and then realize that Y is what actually happened and have to retract yourself. That's the last thing I'd worry about. We are just people trying to find out what happened to explain it to people. I'm sorry if we don't have the magical "script" telling exactly what happened from the very first moment.

the drill being in place when the bombings occured

...any sources? I mean, any sources other than random websites on the internet citing one eyewitness- which is the lowest possible level of trusted evidence you can possibly find. Because the only thing I found is that the Boston Bomb Squad was having bomb training (I know, unbelieveable, right? What kind of bomb squad undergoes regular training exercises?) somewhere else on the city- and I have only found a tweet from the Boston Globe about it.

Oh, and the main rule: Improbable Things Happen.

testimonies from friends and families of the two kids about them

What?

the CISPA coincidence

Improbable Things Happen. Although it's not really improbable that the House -this House- would pass a failed law in the newly-assembled Congress- we are talking about the same House that has voted to repeal Health Care what, 40 times now? In three years.

And how is Cispa related to the bombings anyway?

the convenient throat wound that doesn't make sense

I'd like to hear more about it, Doctor.

the incredible police state tactic the government staged in Boston; effectively throwing the rights of a million people out of the window, treating them like prisoners, over searching for one man.

Well, it's called "Shelter in place". It's a standard procedure for terrorist attacks that has been used a dozen times in US history and, by design, can only be mantained for a day or just a little more time. So don't worry, they are not hijacking your rights. It's a security measure.

I still don't understand why people think there's no conspiracies about this.

Because there are logical explanations for most of the "questions" that arose and many people opt to generally trust people with power than to consider that they must be lying by default and look for every possible lingering detail to conclude that the entire thing is false. I'm not saying that it is good or bad, I'm just stating a fact.

Many say the government did it. Who knows, but it is possible, and there's plenty of evidence to look at.

Well, you are using a very broad definition of "many" here. And yeah, maybe the evil Australian Government is behind all this, who knows.

Sadly most watch too much TV, and at the sight of a different version on things, reject the whole thing outright without even researching the evidence.. That's not smart. :\

It's not smart though to believe every explanation presented by every other man out there either. And it's not that they reject the thing because "it's a different version" than the one "show by the TV". I'm a journalist, I don't watch TV, I write the stuff that goes on TV, and I'm obviously going to be wary of a story constructed out of suspicions, blurry videos and the general idea that what looks obvious is actually an elaborate plot by evil sinister forces. You know, they might be right- but I like more evidence to believe that. Watergate was discovered because a member of the FBI fed official info to the journalists, not because they looked at blurry camera footage hoping to see something.

Last edited:
Years
Went was right on the money with pretty much everything... okay maybe our government here isn't quite evil... but everything else was dead on.

Rain Dancer

Wanderer
Years
Well, I was being general and vague in my last post, perhaps to awaken some curiosity in people so they could start their own research.

Here Went, I was just reading here this one a while ago. It's called solid evidence, and this one's backed up by medical knowledge and a video of the events:
http://educate-yourself.org/cn/bostonbombingdidyouthink20apr13.shtml

We can dissect this whole topic piece by piece, starting with this one. I don't like having 10 or so arguments at the same time in one post. Let's focus on one at a time.

This one looks tough to explain. What do you say? ;)
Couldn't have been cauterized.. That would've required too much intense heat.. Where are the gallons of blood spurting out here?

Last edited:
Back