Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Reload this Page [Tutorial] Adding New Moves and Creating New Move Effects

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old December 5th, 2014 (07:55 PM).
Worlds greatest trainer.

Nature: Calm
Also can someone make a program that simplifies this please? This is too complicated and after 3+ hours invested into this am throwing in the towel/

0948-1529-1887

Rules

No Action Replay.

No pokemon below level 30

No one hit KO moves

No leftovers/shell bell(Basicly anything that gradually restores HP. Berries are allowed)

No you cannot have these
Old December 15th, 2014 (05:54 AM). Edited December 17th, 2014 by aadritch.

Hello good people on this thread. I am experiencing problems concerning PGE.
Whenever I scroll down to the "added" moves in PGE's Attack Editor, i get an "unhandled exception" error. Is there a known way of fixing this?

My problem above is no longer thanks to pawell but after I followed his instructions, animations used by moves were messed up.
Help will be much appreciated.

Spoiler:
Quote originally posted by pawell6:
I had similar problem (at least with psywave). To fix it:
1. Make back up of your rom and ini file.
2. Open your rom wirh hex editor and go to offset: 0x4886E8.
3. Select block: 4*354=1416 bytes and copy (description attack table).
4. Use FSF, find 1416 bytes or find your own location (write down that location), select block 1416 and paste. (I pasted my at 0x950000).
5. Repointing: Go to the begining of file, Edit->Replace...->Find box: E8864808, Replace box: 00009508 (or pointer to your location from step 4) with direction down. Replace all.
6. Go to 0x950000 select block : 4*157=628 bytes, copy.
7. Go to end of new table (0x950000, first FF), select block 628 and paste.
8. Save and exit.
9. Open your ini file in notebook and go to AttackDescriptionTable for BPRE and change its value from &H4886E8 to &H950000.

I hope it'll fix the problem.
Old December 15th, 2014 (12:47 PM).

Hello,
I did this in my Emerald rom. I used this tutorial pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=337152
I totally works for new moves. But when i try to add new effects, the game freeze. Even it is a vanila effect.
Do you have any answers ?
Old April 9th, 2015 (11:58 AM). Edited April 10th, 2015 by leo.d.monkey.

If i just want to keep the old moves, the way they are, and just increase the index and reuse all animations and attacks for my new moves, do i still need to do all this ?

Thanks
Old April 10th, 2015 (09:54 AM).

HUM... ok i got to edit the new moves in GBA Game Editor, but they wont show on up on YAPE ...and in GEN3 SUITE causes several errors... also tried to edit the rom data in those application, any help would be appreciated

: P

NumberOfAttacks=511
AttackData=&H900000
AttackNames=&H901800
Old April 10th, 2015 (12:30 PM). Edited April 11th, 2015 by Kurapika.
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by leo.d.monkey:
HUM... ok i got to edit the new moves in GBA Game Editor, but they wont show on up on YAPE ...and in GEN3 SUITE causes several errors... also tried to edit the rom data in those application, any help would be appreciated
Well then, try my tool. (link in signature)
With G3T you don't need to specify new offsets.
Old April 11th, 2015 (05:51 PM). Edited April 12th, 2015 by leo.d.monkey.

Quote originally posted by Kurapika:
Well then, try my tool. (link in signature)
With G3T you don't need to specify new offsets.
Thanks Kurapika , i could add the new moves in my Pokemon using your tool,

i just changed the G3T 2.9.1\Roms Data\BPRE.ini and the new moves showed up on the pokemon menu.

[MOVE]
NumberOfMoves=
MoveData=
MoveNames=
Old April 12th, 2015 (10:46 AM). Edited April 13th, 2015 by leo.d.monkey.

Ok just to complete ... the move description part
type the move description on this page https://mothereff.in/byte-counter ... get the number of bytes

, search with Free Space Finder the space for those bytes, add the offset on G3T move editor , paste your text on move description and save : D

Some one should update the tutorial to use CTRL+H to replace the offsets inside the rom , it's much faster and works the same, the first offset occurs 175 times i think _O_
Old 2 Weeks Ago (05:00 AM).
Multiuniversal

Nature: Modest
Hey everyone, I've bumped into a problem that I cannot seem to find the answer by myself. I'm coming here to ask for a little help because maybe someone bumped into this problem like me and has/had a resolve to it. I'm trying to figure out how all this thing with Hex editing works and all that and I've been following this tutorial exactly as it says in it, I've done it 3 times with the same offsets like in this tut for repointing and with different offsets that I've found by myself as well, but everytime I edit/update/change the .ini file with the new offsets I run into this problem >>
Spoiler:

I've even followed two different tutorials and I am getting the same error and I don't know what is the problem where I am going wrong or what I don't do right, although I'm pretty sure that I am the problem because I'm not good at hex editing, maybe someone could help. Thanks!
Old 2 Weeks Ago (05:27 AM).
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by LightningVolt:
Hey everyone, I've bumped into a problem that I cannot seem to find the answer by myself. I'm coming here to ask for a little help because maybe someone bumped into this problem like me and has/had a resolve to it. I'm trying to figure out how all this thing with Hex editing works and all that and I've been following this tutorial exactly as it says in it, I've done it 3 times with the same offsets like in this tut for repointing and with different offsets that I've found by myself as well, but everytime I edit/update/change the .ini file with the new offsets I run into this problem >>
Spoiler:

I've even followed two different tutorials and I am getting the same error and I don't know what is the problem where I am going wrong or what I don't do right, although I'm pretty sure that I am the problem because I'm not good at hex editing, maybe someone could help. Thanks!
Either you are not following the Hex editing instructions correctly or you're messing up the .ini file ... quite likely, it's the 2nd possibility.
Anyway, try my tool G3T. (Link in signature) #Pro_Self_Advertising
Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:14 AM).
Multiuniversal

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Kurapika:
Either you are not following the Hex editing instructions correctly or you're messing up the .ini file ... quite likely, it's the 2nd possibility.
Anyway, try my tool G3T. (Link in signature) #Pro_Self_Advertising
Ok, but question. Will I be able to insert/make/create new moves with your tools without deleting/replacing old ones because that is what I am really aiming for, I want to add new moves but at the same time I don't want to delete old ones, that's why I've been following this thread tutorial (without any success for me) for adding new moves and not deleting/replacing the old ones.

Sponsored Links