• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Glass (restart)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
RMXP- Pokemon Glass Version (Updated as of May 24, 2010!)

--Introduction--
Well, I'm back after two computers died (literally) and I've been experimenting with the newest starter kit so I'm hyped about this. I've been slowly tinkering with the storyline and I'm happy with the storyline and such. I'd have more but I decided to move from 3rd gen tiles to 4th gen so I have to re-map all my maps. T_T This is also being made with RMXP.

--The Story--
You are a Teenager who have lived out your life in the rustic mountain town known as Russet Town. For most of your life, your home region of Aiiden has been fairly quiet since it's a fairly rural region and not much industry and overpopulation has moved in. However, it all changed two years ago when a large corporation known only as Neomberra Corp. moved into the region, turning a lot of the wilderness into polluted areas that even the most toxic pokemon refuse to live in. And to make matters worse, Pokemon Trainers have gone missing!

But it's your birthday and even you find everything great since the pollution and urbanization has only affected towns a good ways away. But still, you want to become a Pokemon Trainer. After all, you're not a very important person and no one would want to abduct you, right?

--The Features--
-Complete 4th gen battle system
-Complete and Original Region to Explore
-New Storyline
-Sidequests

--The Characters--
(I'm sorry I'm using characters I made using various generators. I can't sprite worth a darn and I'll be using placeholders until I can wrangle someone into spriting these)

GlassHeroine.png
GlassHero.png

Emily // Hayden
History: A girl/boy who lives in Russet Town in the Aiiden Region. Today is their birthday and their mother has just told them that their favorite uncle will be showing up shortly with a surprise birthday present (not even she knows what it is).

af5e457.png

Name: Tara
Details: She starts off distant to Emily/Hayden but over several encounters she opens up. She is very determined to rescue someone special to her and won't allow anyone to stand in her way.

bff6101.png

Name: Professor Adelle Fern
Details: She is the regional Pokemon Professor and is very kindhearted and gentle. She misses her little sister terribly since they had parted ways, her to become a pokemon professor and her little sister became a Pokemon Trainer.

38c9419.png

Name: Harmony
Details: She comes from a far away region and makes it quite clear what she is fighting for- for revenge on Neomberra Corp. for the sorry state her home region is in due to the pollution and destruction of habitats of pokemon.

b8c6567.png

Name: Matt
Details: A shy and quiet guy who is fighting against Neomberra Corp. for a reason he won't disclose. He is quite flighty and doesn't like to fight but seems to be determined due to his personal mission. He tends to relax by joking around.

--Screenshots-- (Updated!)
Spoiler:

--Team--
Me - Eventing, Story, Mapping

--Credits--
Poccil and others- Pokemon Essentials
4th Gen Matt- Compiling the Resource Pack I wound up using
RM2k3Kid- D/P Character Sets
Dewitty, Prince Legandario, Kymotonian, Alucus, Calis Projects, Bulbapedia.net- Tileset and Autotiles
Neo-Spriteman- For compiling the tileset and autotiles (even though you said that you don't need to be credited, you saved my life there and I really appreciate it!)
Wichi and SCV- Pokemon OWs
DeathStar- HGSS Trainer Sprites (battle)
Jim42 and KiraKira- Cave tiles
Ozumadrew- Logo (It looks so sweet ^_^)
rockeymon - male trainer OW Sprite
PrinceLegendario- Tiles
Spacemotion- Grass Autotile

--Bugs--
There is a bug where the outside areas vary randomly between day and night, even when it's noon. I've been told it's a bug within Pokemon Essentials and my scripting knowledge leaves a lot to be desired.

--FAQ's--
When are you going to release a Demo?
I will release a demo when I finish the 4th gym.

Can I be a beta tester?
Only if you can help by pointing out bugs and give me ways of fixing the grammatical and spelling errors I will undoubtedly make. If you're asking me this just to get to play the demo before everyone else, forget it.

Can I join the team?
Sure! I can use all the help people offer me. I wouldn't mind having someone (or two) to help me with mapping. I still want to do as much of the major eventing as possible. ^_^

--Updates--
5/26/10- Completed the event giving the player their starter.
5/26/10- Completed the first route (including trainers).
5/26/10- Starting on the mapping of the second town.
5/26/10- Starting on the updating of trainer battle sprites (updating 3rd gen trainer in-battle sprites to 4th gen ones and adding the ones I haven't yet added.)
5/27/10- Noticed that this thread has been approved by those in charge and updated the thread.
5/28/10- Discovered faulty Trainer eventing caused the major crashing bug. Deleted all old trainers and is putting in better Trainer events. Once completed, will put up screenshots. ^_^
5/28/10- I put up screenshots of the first town. Please note that the hero/heroine sprites haven't been done so I'm using placeholders.
9/10/10- I have replaced all of the old screenshots with the new ones. I've got four more overworld maps to do before I move on to the interior maps. I may just instead work on interior maps and save the four more for later.

Last edited:

Neo-Spriteman

or goloog. that works too.
Years
  • Age 26
  • MD
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
Hello, Gregora. I must say, this game is looking pretty good! Can I be a mapper and/or spriter? I've been told I'm an excellent spriter, but if you need some proof, give me a test or something.

Btw, totally off topic, but are you in college?

EDIT: You spelled Wichu wrong :P

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
Thanks and sure. I kinda need both because I've got some things that I can't do since I can't exactly sprite. As for college, I wish. I just don't have the money to go to college since I'm disabled and I live on money from the government. But, back on topic, whenever you can do it, I'd love to get OW and battle sprites done for Hayden, Emily, and Tara. Those are the three characters that shows up very early in the game. Of course, same with Neomberra Grunts.

As far as Neomberra sprites go, since it is a corporation, I keep thinking that they wear business suits or something. I haven't really thought as far as how they'd look except that they'd have throwbacks to what normal business people would wear. So really, as far as Neomberra goes, have fun as long as it matches their background. :D

Neo-Spriteman

Years
  • Age 26
  • MD
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
Thanks and sure. I kinda need both because I've got some things that I can't do since I can't exactly sprite. As for college, I wish. I just don't have the money to go to college since I'm disabled and I live on money from the government. But, back on topic, whenever you can do it, I'd love to get OW and battle sprites done for Hayden, Emily, and Tara. Those are the three characters that shows up very early in the game. Of course, same with Neomberra Grunts.

As far as Neomberra sprites go, since it is a corporation, I keep thinking that they wear business suits or something. I haven't really thought as far as how they'd look except that they'd have throwbacks to what normal business people would wear. So really, as far as Neomberra goes, have fun as long as it matches their background. :D

Yay! I got the job! I'll make the Overworlds first, and I'll PM you them in a few hours or so. Then I'll Do the Battle Sprites. And I'm sorry to hear that you're disabled... That's terrible... And if you could, PM me the game folder (Via Megaupload or something) so I can revise the towns and routes. Thanks again for the job! I really need the cash! (Joking)

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
Okay, just give me a few minutes to get everything squared away. Is .rar okay? WinRAR is a really good (and free) program and the compression rate is better than a .zip.

Edit: I wound up adding more events to Route 401 so not everything is finished on the route as far as events go, but it should still play fine for the first five minutes or so. :D I can safely say that this has more story than most main series pokemon games.

Neo-Spriteman

Years
  • Age 26
  • MD
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
Okay, just give me a few minutes to get everything squared away. Is .rar okay? WinRAR is a really good (and free) program and the compression rate is better than a .zip.

Yush. Rar is great! I have winrar installed into Chrome.

Edit: I wound up adding more events to Route 401 so not everything is finished on the route as far as events go, but it should still play fine for the first five minutes or so. :D I can safely say that this has more story than most main series pokemon games.

Trust me, a LOT of games have more story. They always do the whole Go find professor, get pokemon, go beat up the bad guys, fight the legend, beat the e4, the end! So yeah, I'll just fix the maps, because the first town looks a tad bit square.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
I don't mind it if you spruce it up as long as it keeps the feeling unique to each town. ^_^

Also, some towns doesn't look like they live up to their colors so if you wish to make custom tiles and stuff is completely up to you.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
1 and 3, I agree with and it'll probably get fixed between now and the beta since this is the alpha version and everything is liable to change between now and the beta.

2) Rust is capitalized to point out the really bad pun that is the sign.

In all, thanks for your opinions and statements. ^_^ I'm still a fairly new mapper and I've read only a few tutorials on mapping, so the feedback is appreciated. :D

As an update: I'm working on the second major storyline event which introduces one of the main characters. Of course, those who have read up to now in the thread knows which one. :D But it might play out different than you guys think.

Also, another thing- I'm aware of how it's a cliche to have the game start on the player's birthday but it's done for storyline reasons. :)

Neo-Spriteman

Years
  • Age 26
  • MD
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
Dude, I'm putting my side of the project on hold. I got my own game right now. Sorry.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
Can you at least send me what you've done please?

Update:
-Did some major bug fixing, but there's now a bug that makes it always night on the maps and it's rather annoying.
-I'm now working on redoing the maps of the two towns I finished because I'm not entirely happy with them. Also, there are now two more routes branching from the town, but you have to fulfill a requirement to get onto the routes, same as the cave. :)

Last edited:

Neo-Spriteman

Years
  • Age 26
  • MD
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
Can you at least send me what you've done please?

Update:
-Did some major bug fixing, but there's now a bug that makes it always night on the maps and it's rather annoying.
-I'm now working on redoing the maps of the two towns I finished because I'm not entirely happy with them. Also, there are now two more routes branching from the town, but you have to fulfill a requirement to get onto the routes, same as the cave. :)

Finnnneeeeee!!! Check your PM's.

Here you go, Gregora. This is not public, and I will kill you if you use it ( talking to noobs who can't make their own game)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
<_< I meant as far as the character sprites. I've checked my PMs and all I see are old ones from 3 weeks ago...

--Update--
I've finished remapping Rustaria and I think it looks better. Now all I have to do is reposition and edit some events. Then, I'll work on getting the two other overworld maps redone. At least I'll do a slight edit of the first route. The second town, however, will get an overhaul. ^_^ I expect to start working on the events for the second town within this week. It's taken two days just to get this far with the first town, mostly because I was missing some tiles and I had to rip them from HGSS myself. I intend on putting up new screens from my mapping overhaul when I've finished with my overhaul and have got around to finish the second town.

I don't intend my remapping of the first route to be too big since I'm redoing what amounts to half of the route itself. It's the second town which will be annoying since it will be a complete delete of the overworld map and doing it all over. I only intend for there to be two events in the second town, one a non-story event which could be done at any time and a story event which will completely change the story itself depending on your choices. Because of this, I hope for it to be more freeform than the real games because the only limitation as to how far you can go is if you have access to any HM moves the way requires and your pokemon's level. However, some routes require a set amount of badges and/or your pokemon to be of a certain level.

~Later!

---Update: June 23, 2010---

I have just updated the first post with more screenshots of the new Rustaria Town and the first route. I feel a huge sense of accomplishment because re-doing Rustaria was rather annoying and I'm happy with the changes I had made to the first route as a result. I am -never- going to do that again. XD

Also, I've noticed that it's been a day away from a month since this thread was put up and I feel that I've made progress. For those who are like "dude! It looks like you've barely worked on this!" I will list all of the achievements and progress that I've made in this time:

-Mapped the first route and did a tentative attempt at the second town
-Fixed a bug that made the game crash
-Redone some of the overworld maps which required several more tentative maps to negate any black areas
-Scripted two rather large story-related events (some even spanning five pages!) that involved a lot of copy/paste that made RMXP crash (I get the feeling it hates Windows 7)
-Has up to the first Cave plotted out extensively

In case this seems really small, please keep in mind that I have a roommate whom I share my laptop with and some days I get to spend more time on it, other times I barely get to touch it. So yeah, I hope this next month sees a lot more progress! ^_^

Note: Tomorrow, I intend to take a day off from this to keep me from burning myself out. However, I will check on this thread from time to time to answer everyone's questions!

---Update 6/28/2010---
Last week after the last update, my life crashed down on me and this week doesn't look so great either. I have either a minor cold or a sudden onset of hayfever, but I don't have anything that won't make me pass out. So until I heal up, I won't be able to make much progress. For this, I feel I must apologize. I will continue to work on the story since I feel that it's the only thing my brain will let me work on (assuming I don't pass out). But I promise that once I recover, I will go back to work on this. Also, I've contacted a Spriter friend of mine who says that he'll help next week. So with any luck, I might have some custom sprites for Glass. ^_^

---Update 7/8/2010---
Okay, I'm feeling better so I'm back. Apologies to everyone who I kept waiting. I'm waiting on my spriter friend to log on and then I'll see if he's open to help me like he said he would. As for progress, I've worked on the story a fair bit and I'm working on finishing up the mapping of the second town. Then I get to have fun putting in the sidequests, which due to this being the second town, will be mostly minor. But still, it should keep people entertained. I can't wait until I get to the more metropolitan areas such as the third town. :) That's going to be fun since it'll have a Gym in it.

I figure I'll be releasing the demo after the 4th Gym but I might put out an unofficial demo after the first or second Gym, if only to keep the interest coming since not a lot of people seem to be interested in this game. :( But I'm stubborn enough to keep going.

---Update 7/9/2010---
Well, I've got someone else who's doing the sprites and what I've seen so far is beautiful. ^_^ Oh and I've finished the second town with the exception of a few events that really won't matter too much. I figure I'll get everything done with the town by today and next week, I start on the next route or two. :) if I do an area a week, I figure I'll get to the town with first Gym by the start of next month. then, I might be able to go fast enough to do a Gym a month (including the areas between the gyms and the events). But that's to be seen if my speed slows down.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
Man, I really need to keep looking at the rules thread for this area. I remember when even game creators couldn't double post, even for updates. >_<

Now for updates:
I've finished (most of) the area where the first side-quest goes to. Why I say "most of" is because there's two paths that goes further through the area and one involves surf and the other (the foot path) is "out of order".

While trying to get the trees to not look horrible, I decided to change the tree tiles. >_< so now I have to re-do trees in three maps now. >_< I really need to stop doing these kinds of things.

Also, I made no progress from Friday's update until earlier today when I started working on this (two hours ago). Yesterday, my roommate was trying to correct his inability to have a sleep cycle and I was constantly playing alarm clock. :( But I plan on devoting myself today towards making progress.

Today, I will be checking in every time I make enough progress to report things. I won't know about tomorrow until it happens. But for the foreseeable future, the only weekday where I won't be working on this would be Friday because my stepsis is taking me to the local community college and going to help me with that. If things go well, I should be a college student this fall, which is exciting for me because I really want to do that.

~Until later!

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
looks good so far and I like the story. I hope Pokemon Glass suceeds

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
Thanks AceDragonite. Well, guys, I just finished re-doing the trees and I plan on re-doing some screens to show off the new look while I'm testing out the side quest. If I encounter no bugs as far as the side quest is concerned, then it's off to the route that leads up to the first dungeon. :)

Well, I'm an idiot. I screwed up and I had to restart my testing save file and I saw a bug with the beginning and in my trying to fix it, I wound up erasing a very important event and now it keeps crashing. -_- So yeah.

Edit:

Well, it stopped crashing. Now if only this could stop freezing randomly. I get the feeling it's because RMXP *hates* Windows 7. -_- I miss Windows XP...

Also it seems that the whole event not working is apparently it hates switches. I'm not using any switches that the Starter Kit itself uses and even if I use the Debug options to manually set the switch to 'on', it still doesn't work. So yeah. I'm about at the end of my allotted compy time so I doubt I can fix my issues today.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
Okay, Today's update:

I finally finished up de-bugging the first side quest. That was rather annoying. It also reminded me that I have some work on a previous event that I need to polish up before considering everything to this point 100% finished. However, my computer time is cut short today because my roommate needs the only computer to help him stay up so he won't crash too early.

It looks quite possible that the next day I'm to work on Glass will be Monday unless tomorrow isn't going to be as busy as I think it'll be. I'll stay in touch.

~Until later!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
Okay, I have some news for you guys. It may at first seem to be things that won't affect Glass but I'll explain the effect of it all.

I went to the college yesterday and found out that yes, they are still taking in applicants for the Fall semester. However, I missed the "optimal" deadline. I do qualify for Financial Aid and I filed for it and it might come in in time for me to get into class. I also have a busy day on Monday to prepare for Tuesday, including going to the Department of Licensing to get a new ID (I swear I will die!) and getting paperwork from Social Security.

On Tuesday, I'll be handing in my application and go to two appointments with two different Disability Support Services Counselors to help me with the process. That's followed by something they call the compass test. I have no clue how long either of those three things will take. And if I do get into college, I will most likely take either Computer Science or Computer Programming.

And to make this even worse, I feel like I'm getting a cold.

And now for how this will affect Glass. On Monday and Tuesday, progress on the game will be slow, if not nonexistent. This slowdown in progress may be longer, depending if this is just a sore throat or something a lot worse. I think it might be a cold because I'm lightheaded, dizzy, and I have a headache on top of the sore throat. I've been drinking a lot of water though.

If I do get into college and take what I want to take, I might be able to do more with RMXP than just mapping and eventing. Also, I've been doing some studying in Ruby and I've made some tentative progress. This will help Glass because I'll be able to do a lot more by myself than I've been able to do before. I have plans on things I'd love to put in if only I can code with Ruby. So if I can start doing Ruby scripts, I might be able to put in more surprises into Glass and make it more enjoyable.

Here are a few things I want to add into Glass when/if I can get into Ruby (this is by no means a complete list):

-A new Pokegear-like device
-Change the aesthetics of the battle system to match that of Black and White (aka moving pokemon sprites)
-Add in a few more minigames.
-Be able to take advantage of the dual-screen code that is up on PC.

So yeah, I have plenty of reason to further my independent study of RGSS.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
haha,nice use of the gaia online sprites,this game looks interesting though,keep it up ^_^

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
The gaia online sprites are pretty much going to be used as an idea of how the character's sprites will look. The Gaia sprites won't be in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back