• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Randomly chosen trainer teams?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
So I've been thinking about ways to make my game more challenging, and one method I thought about was making it so that trainers used different Pokemon each time.

For instance, we are battling a trainer with 6 Pokemon. (Let's make it a rematch against the Water gym). Let's say this gym leader has 10 Pokemon to choose from, including their lead and their ace. Here is an example of what you could be up against.
272.png
423.png
350.png
593-f.png
581.png
689.png
130.png
131.png

Lead:
186.png

Ace:
171.png

So this trainer will always start with Politoed, and will always use Lanturn. The rest of the team are randomly picked; one battle, you may be facing Gastrodon, Lapras, Ludicolo and Gyarados; the next battle may put you against a different team, and so on.

Rather than having to define 62 trainers just for this battle (yes, there are 62 possible combinations {D:}), does anyone know a script I can use to help me with this? Thanks :)

Years
Step 1.) Download this script, which allows you to write code for custom trainers.

Step 2.) Add this code to the custom trainers script:
Code:
# lead and ace are the species of the trainer's lead and ace Pokemon, respectively
# possibilities is an array with all the possible choices.  Defaults to empty
# number is the total number of Pokemon on the team.  Defaults to six.
# - this value does include the lead and the ace, so add 2.
# - the code has error handlers that prevent the creation of teams larger than six, or of teams larger than the array above will allow.
# name is the trainer's name.  Defaults to Bobby
# class is the type of trainer they are (Ace Trainer, Gym Leader, etc.).  Defaults to Youngster.

# This version of the code is for making the Pokemon have "default" moves.
# Easier to use, but less precise
def defaultRandomTeam(lead,ace,possiblities=[],number=6,name="Bobby",class=PBTrainers::YOUNGSTER)
  # Allow for multiple types of inputting species types
  # numbers, strings of the Pokemon's name, or the internal name
  if lead.is_a?(String) || lead.is_a?(Symbol)
    lead=getConst(PBSpecies,lead)
  end
  if ace.is_a?(String) || ace.is_a?(Symbol)
    lead=getConst(PBSpecies,ace)
  end
  for i in 0...possibilities.length
    if possibilities[i].is_a?(String) || possibilities[i].is_a?(Symbol)
      possibilities[i]=getConst(PBSpecies,possibilities[i])
    end
  end
  # Allow for multiple methods of inputting trainer type names
  if class.is_a?(String) || class.is_a?(Symbol)
    class=getConst(PBTrainers,class)
  end
  # create the "lead" pokemon
  poke1=createPokemon(lead,64) # change the 64 to be the level you want the Pokemon to be
  team=[poke1]
  # create the "grunt" pokemon
  grunts=[possibilities.length,number-2,4].min
  if grunts>0
    for i in 0...grunts
      # choosing a random Pokemon from the list of possibilities
      poke=rand(possibilities.length)
      poke2=createPokemon(possibilities[poke],64) # again, change 64 to the proper level
      team.push(poke2)
      # removing the chosen Pokemon from the list of possibilities so it doesn't get picked again.
      possibilities[poke]=nil
      possibilities.compact!
    end
  end
  # create the "ace" pokemon
  poke3=createPokemon(ace,64) # change the 64 to be the level you want the Pokemon to be
  team.push(poke3)
  # create the trainer
  return createTrainer(class,name,team)
end

# this version of the code allows you to define Pokemon complete with moves, specific abilities, etc.
# more custom and precise, but requires more initialization
def definedRandomTeam(lead,ace,possiblities=[],number=6,name="Bobby",class=PBTrainers::YOUNGSTER)
  end
  # add the lead
  team=[lead]
  # add the grunts
  if grunts>0
    for i in 0...grunts
      team.push(possibilities[poke])
      # removing the chosen Pokemon from the list of possibilities so it doesn't get picked again.
      possibilities[poke]=nil
      possibilities.compact!
    end
  end
  # add the ace
  team.push(ace)
  # create the trainer
end

I use a similar method to make the rival in my game. Certain decisions you make in the game's story - obviously which starter you pick, but also other things such as what you evolve your Eevee into, or which fossil you revive first - affect the rival's team. Your 62 combinations has nothing on my 2,200+ combinations.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
Step 1.) Download this script, which allows you to write code for custom trainers.

Step 2.) Add this code to the custom trainers script:
Code:
# lead and ace are the species of the trainer's lead and ace Pokemon, respectively
# possibilities is an array with all the possible choices.  Defaults to empty
# number is the total number of Pokemon on the team.  Defaults to six.
# - this value does include the lead and the ace, so add 2.
# - the code has error handlers that prevent the creation of teams larger than six, or of teams larger than the array above will allow.
# name is the trainer's name.  Defaults to Bobby
# class is the type of trainer they are (Ace Trainer, Gym Leader, etc.).  Defaults to Youngster.

# This version of the code is for making the Pokemon have "default" moves.
# Easier to use, but less precise
def defaultRandomTeam(lead,ace,possiblities=[],number=6,name="Bobby",class=PBTrainers::YOUNGSTER)
  # Allow for multiple types of inputting species types
  # numbers, strings of the Pokemon's name, or the internal name
  if lead.is_a?(String) || lead.is_a?(Symbol)
    lead=getConst(PBSpecies,lead)
  end
  if ace.is_a?(String) || ace.is_a?(Symbol)
    lead=getConst(PBSpecies,ace)
  end
  for i in 0...possibilities.length
    if possibilities[i].is_a?(String) || possibilities[i].is_a?(Symbol)
      possibilities[i]=getConst(PBSpecies,possibilities[i])
    end
  end
  end
  # create the "lead" pokemon
  poke1=createPokemon(lead,64) # change the 64 to be the level you want the Pokemon to be
  team=[poke1]
  # create the "grunt" pokemon
  if grunts>0
    for i in 0...grunts
      poke2=createPokemon(possibilities[poke],64) # again, change 64 to the proper level
      team.push(poke2)
      possibilities[poke]=nil
      possibilities.compact!
    end
  end
  # create the "ace" pokemon
  poke3=createPokemon(ace,64) # change the 64 to be the level you want the Pokemon to be
  team.push(poke3)
  # create the trainer
end

# this version of the code allows you to define Pokemon complete with moves, specific abilities, etc.
# more custom and precise, but requires more initialization
def definedRandomTeam(lead,ace,possiblities=[],number=6,name="Bobby",class=PBTrainers::YOUNGSTER)
  end
  # add the lead
  team=[lead]
  # add the grunts
  if grunts>0
    for i in 0...grunts
      team.push(possibilities[poke])
      possibilities[poke]=nil
      possibilities.compact!
    end
  end
  # add the ace
  team.push(ace)
  # create the trainer
end

I use a similar method to make the rival in my game. Certain decisions you make in the game's story - obviously which starter you pick, but also other things such as what you evolve your Eevee into, or which fossil you revive first - affect the rival's team. Your 62 combinations has nothing on my 2,200+ combinations.

Cheers dude :)

I don't have a lot of experience with code tbh, could you give me an example of how I could implement this as I'm not sure how (Feel free to use the example in my original post!)
It would be preferable if the example utilised the code that allows custom movesets.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Years
The script I had you download shows you how to use this in an event. However, instead of the second bit of scripting (the one that starts with p0 = createPokemon("KLANG",38)), make a script that looks like this:

Code:
trainer = defaultRandomTeam(
[COLOR="Red"]"POLITOED"[/COLOR],[COLOR="DarkOrange"]"LANTURN"[/COLOR],[COLOR="SeaGreen"][[/COLOR][COLOR="Lime"]"LUDICOLO",
"MILOTIC","GASTRODON","JELLICENT",
"SWANNA","BARBARACLE","GYARADOS",
"LAPRAS"[/COLOR][COLOR="seagreen"]][/COLOR],[COLOR="Blue"]6[/COLOR],[COLOR="Purple"]"Bob"[/COLOR],[COLOR="Magenta"]"GYMLEADER"[/COLOR])
result = customTrainerBattle(trainer)
pbSet(1,result==BR_WIN ? 0 : 1)

You have:
their lead and ace
their other options (Don't forget the brackets)
the total number of Pokemon on their team
their name and trainer type

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
So how would I go about giving the Pokemon custom moves, items and abilities? And just out of curiosity is this code compatible with any custom EV scripts? Sorry if I'm asking too much.

EDIT: On another note, the script you gave me doesn't seem to be working. I added the custom trainers script to my game, then I added your bit on to the end like you said, now it's crashing the game, telling me I'm getting syntax errors. Is there something else I should have done?

Last edited:
Years
It would be preferable if the example utilised the code that allows custom movesets.
Thanks in advance

Of course you say this as I'm typing an example of the simpler version.

Okay, well then.

Step 1.) Create a new script section directly below the one where you added the Custom Trainer script. Add this to it:
Code:
def waterLeaderRematch
[COLOR="Red"]  lead=createPokemon(:POLITOED,64)
  lead.setAbility(2) # give Hidden Ability (Water Absorb)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Orange"]  ace=createPokemon(:LANTURN,64)
  ace.item=getConst(PBItems,:ASSAULTVEST) # give it the item Assault Vest[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Lime"]  grunt1=createPokemon(:LUDICOLO,64)
  grunt1.makeMale # make it male
  grunt1.name="Miror B" # nickname it Miror B
  grunt2=createPokemon(:GASTRODON,64)
  grunt2.form=0 # give it the first form, for East Sea
  grunt3=createPokemon(:MILOTIC,64)
  grunt3.makeFemale # make it female
  grunt3.makeShiny # make it shiny
  grunt4=createPokemon(:JELLICENT,64)
  # Note that in Essentials, the stats go in this order:
  # HP, Attack, Defense, Speed, SpAtk, SpDef
  # Most Pokemon things list Speed at the end, so don't make the mistake of directly copying
  grunt4=ev=[248,0,216,44,0,0] # set the EVs
  grunt5=createPokemon(:SWANNA,64)
  grunt5.iv=[31,31,31,31,30,30] # give it Hidden Power Ground
  grunt5.pbLearnMove(:HIDDENPOWER) # teach it Hidden Power
  grunt6=createPokemon(:BARBARACLE,64)
  grunt6.setNature(:ADAMANT)  # give it an Adamant nature
  grunt7=createPokemon(:GYARADOS,64)
  # Allow the Gyarados to Mega Evolve
  grunt7.item=getConst(PBItems,:GYARADOSITE) if hasConst?(PBItems,:GYARADOSITE)
  grunt8=createPokemon(:LAPRAS,64)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]  grunts=[[COLOR="Lime"]grunt1,grunt2,grunt3,grunt4,grunt5,grunt6,grunt7,grunt8[/COLOR]][/COLOR]
  return definedRandomTeam([COLOR="Red"]lead[/COLOR],[COLOR="Orange"]ace[/COLOR],[COLOR="SeaGreen"]grunts[/COLOR],[COLOR="Blue"]6[/COLOR],[COLOR="Purple"]"Bob"[/COLOR],[COLOR="Magenta"]:GYMLEADER[/COLOR])
end
Note that you need to write a function like this for any trainer that you want to use custom movesets in a randomly-generated battle.

Note also that I tried to give examples of anything that could be useful. Ability changes, form changes, gender changes, EVs and IVs, learning a move, nicknames, Mega Evolution, other items, etc.

Step 2.) In the event, follow the instructions in the script I linked. Instead of the second script section (the one that starts with p0 = createPokemon("KLANG",38)), make a script that looks like this:
Code:
result = customTrainerBattle(waterLeaderRematch)

Years
EDIT: On another note, the script you gave me doesn't seem to be working. I added the custom trainers script to my game, then I added your bit on to the end like you said, now it's crashing the game, telling me I'm getting syntax errors. Is there something else I should have done?

can you be specific here on what the syntax errors are? Screenshot, possibly?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
can you be specific here on what the syntax errors are? Screenshot, possibly?

The error is apparently at the very first line of code from the added part, which is this line:

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
When I start up the game, it just says:
"Script 'customtrainers' line 216: SyntaxError occured"

Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2023
I don't suppose there was any update on this or end to this conversation that took place here, was there?
I liked the idea laid out in this thread, but have the same syntax error as the OP and can't seem to figure out whats wrong with the syntax of that line.

edit - Forget it, I figured it out. Seems like it was some error with the word "class." I'm a novice with all this, but I just changed it to "trainerid" like the original script linked to here used. Just look for all the subsequent times its labeled "class" and change it. It should be easy, because the text is blue, for some reason. Why is that? I imagine if I knew, I would have understood the error immediately, haha.

Anyway, after that it works well. Only problem is the level. Its defining the level in the global scripts, so I'd need to find a way to change that on a trainer to trainer basis otherwise it seems pretty restricted.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
At this point it doesn't really matter to Op, but for everyone who wants to implement this script there you go.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Exception: NameError
Message: Section185:266:in `definedRandomTeam'undefined local variable or method `possibilities' for #<Interpreter:0xc80dcf8>

***Full script:

result = customTrainerBattle(waterLeaderRematch)
Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'
waterLeaderRematch:25:in `waterLeaderRematch'
(eval): 1:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1606:in `eval'
Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1606:in `command_355'
Interpreter:494:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:193:in `update'
Interpreter:106:in `loop'
Interpreter:198:in `update'
Interpreter:276:in `pbExecuteScript'