• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon side-scrolling MMORPG

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
Years
Hi all, this is my latest game in progress.

I have named it pokemon linked!

-------------------UPDATES!----------------

AUTO-UPDATER DONE!
I am back from holidays and there is a bit of updates to this post, very nice.

--------------------------------------------

Pokemon Linked is made in gamemaker, and will be the first side-scrolling pokemon game of its kind (I think?). It is also going to be a MMORPG as well to make it more fun. This is going to be an entirely original concept as I will explain below.

1. It has no storyline, it is a MMORPG.

2. The battle system will be VERY DIFFERENT! The will not be another "Room" or "Map" for it, it will be in game. Basically when you start off you have fists, rocks, kicks as your weapons. Once you move through the world, you will find pokemon. You can either kill them to gain EXP and gold, maybe even a rare drop if you are lucky, or you can try and use a net. The trouble is getting it in the net. If you hurt it too much, it will die and if you don't hit it enough, it will not work. You can tell that you are JUST RIGHT when an exclamation mark appears above its head, and a beeping noise goes off. This is very hard to achieve, as you will have no Idea of its HP and it is either going to hurt you in the process of caching it or it will be smashed straight of. When you catch a pokemon, you can use its powers, each pokemon has a unique special ability. You can hold up to 6 pokemon at a time in your belt of pokeballs. Their special abilities are very powerful, but use up a lot of attack stamina.

3. You will have a HP bar, Stamina bar, and EXP bar.

4. There will be a PvP (Player VS Player) system input in the game.

5. There will be upgradable and buyable stats. When you level up you get 3 spare stat points that you can use on 5 stats, only 3 of them are going to be announced at the moment; Agility (speed and attack speed) Strength, and intelligence ( Pokemon attacks, Stamina max, Stamina recharge)

6. There will be chat. This is already done.

7. There will be an inventory, and pokemon inventory.

8. There will be shops to buy and sell equipment. Some items are not going to be purchasable.

9. THERE MAY be a forum inbuilt into the game, and the more gold you get, you can unlock stuff.

All game staff will be admins or mods and have their own custom built weapon.

The News and update log:

Chat has been done
Online has been done
Inventory has been done
Movement has been done
Stats has been semi complete
Chat message scrolling has been done
Multiple accounts on one login has been done
Title page done
A few sprites have been done.
----------------------------
World has been majorly started
Pokecenter inside ground level has been done.
Auto-updater has been done
Pokemon AI has been started.

--------------Sprites----------------

Not many added yet, but believe me we have some VERY nice pokemon sprites.
Spoiler:

This is a little briefing to get you guys kinda up to date. Just to make sure that this is clear so no need for questions.

1. This is a SIDE-SCROLLING game. Thus all graphics will be side on.
2. At the moment you can see other players, talk to them, but NOT attack them (yet).
3. You WILL be able to see all pokemon like the others do - although this will slow people down if someone else has a slow connection. Likewise it MAY speed up other players if a user with fast connection is online.
4. THERE IS CHAT, VERY VERY VERY good.
5. You can name your character because when you login/register you may create up to 3 player accounts. In that you chose your character, stats and name. I think that there is something that I need to add to that but I cant think what.
6. I - Admin - have the power to ban, temp ban, kick, move and many other features.
7. There will be mods in the game, I will chose the most dedicated sensible people when it gets popular.l
8. I WILL NEDD BETA TESTERS, gont worry.
9. Its a small thing but it has its own logo and load bar sprited.
10. It will have a menu.
11. You can "sell" your stat points for free, and trade them for other ones.
12. There will be weapons, items (potions........), pokemon, money.........
13. There is a new battle system - every KILL you gain exp. Every level stats NATRUALLY go up as well as you getting an additional stat or two.
14. There will be a character view book, this will contain kills made, pokemon seen, map (Unexplored will be dark, explored will be coloured.)
15. There will be a mini map?

OK, I think that that is enough for now.

Last edited:

Shadez

-
Years
this sounds really cool
but i don't really get a pokemon feeling with it
but still it's sounds like a really good game i'm looking forward to hear/read more

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
Years
Yes, its quite true, this does not - and will not feel like an ordinary pokeomn game. There are a few reasons, and the main one is that it is a MMORPG. The battle system needed a change, and the rest of the game needed a change. It will have a new look as it is side-scrolling and hopefully a tonne of people. I am inporing groudon into the game for the first pokemon - he will be a rare boss. I am working on the title screen also. I will post a screen of it soon.

I think that this actually might be better without the traditional pokemon stuff in it as there are numberous games out therre that already cover the area. More updates will come as soon as I input the sprites, then I will done the AI.

EDIT!

Shuold I use the normal pokecenter and buildings in the actual pokemon games for the moment. Then I will gradually replace them? That would speed things up a tonne?

Devil_Silver

Eevee Breeder
Years
Yeah, I guess your right.

But - I don't know, it's just a guess - I think the game would be more popular if at least the battle system would stay the same.

However, it looks nice, so keep up the good work.

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
Years
The problem with that is it'd be kinda *** if you stopped in the middle of the world PvPing someone in another room. That'd create a MASSIVE amount of lagg I assume, it'd be better if we had a real time battle system built into it- less lag and faster. That way 3 people could gang up on a level 99er if they are all level 33, and that'd enshure a fair fight.

OK, I am not using the edit button now, as this is BIG news. You want the big news?

WE HAVE A SPRITER
We also have a junior spriter I think

Well they are spriting away like mad. YAY, I may try and import a few stuff now that I am in a good mood!

Last edited:

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
Years
Thanks Omega,
At that moment its not realy an idea - its halfway to reality!

I have a Groudon as a test for AI. I've got it so that if you come in seeing distance of him, he walks towards you. As soon as you get past that distance he stops.

We also have one sprite done - for turtwig. My spriter is quite talented - even if you thinks that hes not. I now need to duplicate the groudon AI so that all can see it. If you have 2 games running - only one of you can see it in one spot and the other see's it someehere else, lol.

I may post a title screen up soon.

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
Years
I think it would be better if you go bu this approach:
Everybody can see each other at the same spot in the game, and the pokemon also are at the same spot for everyone, people goto the pokemon and do their attacks, for every attack they do, they get EXP, and not for the Pokemon fainting. That way all you have to do is to make the pokemon move anywhere and send this data to everyplayer, and lol people can get together and beat up a Pokemon and still get the amount of EXP they are suppose to.

I don't know network programming in GM, but in other places, it is a real problem to keep sending data about players position in the game, think about it, someone can hack the game up to walk through walls, that doesn't only destroy the person who is playing's game, but everybody elses as well.

EDIT: Why not use Pokemon Ranger sprites?
And next time don't forget to read the rules of tsr
http://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/rules.php

Last edited:

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
Years
OK, thats nice. This is a little briefing to get you guys kinda up to date. Just to make sure that this is clear so no need for questions.

1. This is a SIDE-SCROLLING game. Thus all graphics will be side on.
2. At the moment you can see other players, talk to them, but NOT attack them (yet).
3. You WILL be able to see all pokemon like the others do - although this will slow people down if someone else has a slow connection. Likewise it MAY speed up other players if a user with fast connection is online.
4. THERE IS CHAT, VERY VERY VERY good.
5. You can name your character because when you login/register you may create up to 3 player accounts. In that you chose your character, stats and name. I think that there is something that I need to add to that but I cant think what.
6. I - Admin - have the power to ban, temp ban, kick, move and many other features.
7. There will be mods in the game, I will chose the most dedicated sensible people when it gets popular.l
8. I WILL NEDD BETA TESTERS, gont worry.
9. Its a small thing but it has its own logo and load bar sprited.
10. It will have a menu.
11. You can "sell" your stat points for free, and trade them for other ones.
12. There will be weapons, items (potions........), pokemon, money.........
13. There is a new battle system - every KILL you gain exp. Every level stats NATRUALLY go up as well as you getting an additional stat or two.
14. There will be a character view book, this will contain kills made, pokemon seen, map (Unexplored will be dark, explored will be coloured.)
15. There will be a mini map?

OK, I think that that is enough for now.

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2016
Why dont you post some screenshot here?
We are all waiting for it!^^

Off-topic : PMed u, check ur inbox^^

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
Years
Lol, umm looks like you have stuff done, i had that suggestion about attacks giving exp rather than kill, because you were programming the AI, and since it did take you bit of time, I thought this may help.
And I am not sure, but the features resemble trickster's, I am not saying you copied it, it just resembles it as of now.

Also I guess you are going the client server way and not p2p way, please tell us if you are not.

Also, you can't do anything about the network lag, just at most make the client only send data of its place when it moves, not every second or stuff, I know that this makes it unsafe, unsafe as in hackable, but it is not that many people care about that.

I had made such a "game" in which there was a character select, movement, chatting, but I never created the battle part -_-, I was coding everything in C++, and meh you know, lost interest.

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
Years
OK, it IS client/server.

You will download the client that connects to the server. The game doesn't work unless the server is on - and therefor it only works when I am on the PC. I will be gone on holidays for 5 days starting tomorow, so spriters keep spriting, I will be back.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
sounds kinda like a normal MMORPG with pokemon sprites and pet system. Hardly a pokemon game.

As most mmorpgs the biggest trouble is haveing a host to host your game 24/7

I had a great mmorpg once.. but it went down for that reason.
ALOT mmorpgs go down for that reason..

I'd make sure you got a host like that before you continue your work.. else its just a bit a waste of time.

Good luck with it..

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
Years
Thanks, actually I dont care about that hosting, screw it if it aint 24/7 I will get someone else to host it.

Well here is a screen of the title: http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4121/pokemonlinkeday1.png

Its very noice.

I have come back from my hols and it is still good. The progress halted a lot but some spriting was still managed which is a good surprise.

I thanks omegagroudon for the title and my mysterious spriter, lol.

More updates soon.

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2016
Cool!
Welcome back, Jonsploder.
We all waiting for update^^

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
Years
lol, thanks omega. As soon as the ingame is gone I will take a screen and then it can move into WIP soon. Either that or wait for a demo then post it, what do you guys recon?

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
Years
Sorry guys for the double post but I have so much to update you with.

The world is now much, much, much bigger. Its been 3 or 4 days since we started making it and its great. Anyway when I tried to play it I had to battle through many bugs and squashed some untill I found the omegabug. IT WILL NOT GET SQUASHED. This is mainly because I do not know what is causing this..........

Anyway I clicked the "Show no errors" button and it worked - exept that chat is now not working thanks to the bug.

Anyway the main thing is that it is playable to a small extent.

Release date? Sorry still no release date, there is way to much to do. As I said - hopefully in January - and I think that that achievement is really possible.

Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2008
Hey I'm the world sprite for jonsploder's pokemon linked and I'd just like to say that progress is very good so far and I've played the game, so far it has chat, walking around character features stats and theres still a long way to go but people who are looking for a release date all I can say is it won't be release until after Janurary 26th thank you and good luck with the Game john

Back