• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RTFRP (Read The Rules Please)

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Hey guys! I sorta had a question/ suggestion..
First of all.. I don't think these forums are only for pokemon fanfictions right? I am actually kind of surprised that there isn't a "General Fanfiction recommendation" thread (other fics.. not to pimp your own).. kinda like the other entertainment section has with movies and shows/anime, you know? Because there's an amazing fic I'd love to recommend.. and I'd also love to consider some other recommendations.
I'm guessing it could either stay unorganized and then just people can sift through and post.. or it can be organized by genre (comedy, angst, etc)..

Thoughts? I just haven't seen any fanfiction discussion threads here :C.. sad..

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Oh, people can definitely post other works that aren't just Pokemon, whether they're for other fandoms or original works.

As for recommendation threads, every once in a while, someone might make a thread in the Writer's Lounge subforum asking for people's recommendations. Most people post Pokemon fanfics, but some people post for other fandoms. It's just more difficult to recommend fanfics for other fandoms because it needs to reach fans that not only like that fandom but also Pokemon in order to be here.

So there's no official thread for recommendations, but if you feel like making one that can encompass all fanfics and not just Pokemon ones, you can. And maybe the mods will decide to make an official one that's more organized.

175.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Oh, people can definitely post other works that aren't just Pokemon, whether they're for other fandoms or original works.

As for recommendation threads, every once in a while, someone might make a thread in the Writer's Lounge subforum asking for people's recommendations. Most people post Pokemon fanfics, but some people post for other fandoms. It's just more difficult to recommend fanfics for other fandoms because it needs to reach fans that not only like that fandom but also Pokemon in order to be here.

So there's no official thread for recommendations, but if you feel like making one that can encompass all fanfics and not just Pokemon ones, you can. And maybe the mods will decide to make an official one that's more organized.

Cool that might sound great! Um.. do you know if there's a thread that's for published literature recommendations, too? Maybe the thread could be about good reads? .. but I am not sure if other entertainment already has something like that.

Um.. I think if I am going to go through with an official one with JUST fanfiction and not published lit.. the front page can be listed as 1 section for pokemon, subsectioned perhaps by a couple headings (adventure, romance, comedy) or something.. (cause it's most popular) and the rest can be alphabetical by series name?

What do you think? Should I first make it and then PM it to mods in this section.. or should we discuss it first?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Cool that might sound great! Um.. do you know if there's a thread that's for published literature recommendations, too? Maybe the thread could be about good reads? .. but I am not sure if other entertainment already has something like that.
Culture + media have... what are you reading a thread and a 20-day-old-thread-since-last-post kinda about thoughts on books in general...? But I don't see any harm in a thread for discussing published books here anyways - heck, this place could use the activity more anyway. =p

And... personally I think it should be fine to just post one in the writer's lounge and make the list as you go (see firstly how many people post and then add the genres as you go). Besides, as Astinus said it wouldn't be the first time such a thread was made, if not in an official manner. (For that there's the (new) Fic of the Month listing and the fic index sticky, but the latter is not by recommendations and so is different).

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Even though you already posted your story, I'll still answer your question so you (and others) will know. It is perfectly fine to post a short story of any length (drabbles included) so long as the story is finished.

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
Years
Question, does writing a series count? I mean like, episodes, parts (part 1, 2, 3, etc) and seasons. You post each episode on each new thread, and can put link to previous episodes I do.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
You post each episode on each new thread, and can put link to previous episodes I do.
That part would break the section's rules. So long as each episode is telling a connected story, they all go in one thread. So if episode 3 is a continuation of episode 2 which is a continuation of episode 1, they all go in one thread.

droomph

weeb
Years
Soooo I've got an unwritten story (that'll be a viddy game one day but whatevs) in my head that isn't related anything with an existing franchise (well, not on purpose, at least) so yeah. From what I can gather from the rules, do I just put the appropriate prefix on, or is there something else I need to do to signify that this is an original work and not a fanfic? Just checkin'

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Just use the "Other" prefix and mention in an author's note at the start of your story what the story is about. That way, people will know it's an original story (I think yours is?) instead of one based on another fandom.

Years
  • Seen Sep 23, 2012
I have a question, if I am about to post a chapter with a particularly violent or sexual scene would I be allowed to give a warning and then place the chapter into a spoiler? That way people wouldn't have to read the chapter if they didn't want to read the type of content inside it.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2018
I have a question, if I am about to post a chapter with a particularly violent or sexual scene would I be allowed to give a warning and then place the chapter into a spoiler? That way people wouldn't have to read the chapter if they didn't want to read the type of content inside it.

I am not exactly sure about this(but posting anyway, lots of time in my hands), but even if a single chapter or a single line has something that is above the current rating, then the rating of the entire fiction should be that of that single scene. At least that's what they do in movies. Even if there's only a teeny tiny bit of a matured scene the entire movie is normally considered inappropriate.
(Even if releasing one chapter with warning is allowed, I don't encourage you to do so. It can disturb your flow, unless you release an alternate version of the scenes maintaining the same flow as the original)

Anyway ignore me, Astinus/bobandbill is your man, he will tell ya what to do.

Years
  • Seen Sep 23, 2012
I am not exactly sure about this(but posting anyway, lots of time in my hands), but even if a single chapter or a single line has something that is above the current rating, then the rating of the entire fiction should be that of that single scene. At least that's what they do in movies. Even if there's only a teeny tiny bit of a matured scene the entire movie is normally considered inappropriate.
(Even if releasing one chapter with warning is allowed, I don't encourage you to do so. It can disturb your flow, unless you release an alternate version of the scenes maintaining the same flow as the original)

Anyway ignore me, Astinus/bobandbill is your man, he will tell ya what to do.

Alright cheers for your input mate.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
A warning at the beginning of the chapter would be nice, but as DracoFlare said, changing the rating of your story is even better. However, it's still good to warn readers in case they do feel uncomfortable. Also, I'm pretty sure PC doesn't allow any sort of sexual scenes, aka smut fics, so if you're planning on sexual scenes, it's best that they're implied rather than fully described. Otherwise, you could get banned. Violence is acceptable, though.

And I don't like reading anything in spoilers, but that's just my annoyance more than anything.

Years
  • Seen Sep 23, 2012
A warning at the beginning of the chapter would be nice, but as DracoFlare said, changing the rating of your story is even better. However, it's still good to warn readers in case they do feel uncomfortable. Also, I'm pretty sure PC doesn't allow any sort of sexual scenes, aka smut fics, so if you're planning on sexual scenes, it's best that they're implied rather than fully described. Otherwise, you could get banned. Violence is acceptable, though.

And I don't like reading anything in spoilers, but that's just my annoyance more than anything.

It was really just an example, I am writing about a wartime Kanto and there will be violence and death throughout which the main character is pulled into. It obviously wouldn't be every chapter so I was just checking about it here.

SanityStealer

Lilbluebox
Years
I was reading over the rules and the other questions and found nothing in regards to interactive stories, so I'd like to ask if it's okay to write and post those here? By interactive stories, I mean writing a segment (chapter), posting it with questions or whatever at the end, and having the readers make choices as to where they'd like the story to go. Essentially, I'm talking about writing the equivalent of a fanfiction 'choose-your-own-adventure' type story. Is that all right?

Years
  • Seen Jan 24, 2013
I am 8 years old and a huge Pokemon fan. I have an idea for a new game, but I don't know where to go to get someone to make it. Can you help me?

Back