• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Land of the Maple Leaf ~ Canadian Club

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
That was some snowstorm that came by. Man, people around the neighbourhood were sliding all around the place because they didn't have snow tires. :P We didn't have a whole lot of snow before the storm, so I guess I can't entirely blame them.
Don't even get me started. We got four feet of snow, lost power and heat for two days and trees started falling down from the wind and weight of snow combined. :(
Almost everyone here has snow tires despite them not being mandatory.
And the Bruins are off to a great start. :)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I could see it making sense if each individual province decided to make winter tires mandatory, based on how much snow you get overall. However, Greater Vancouver and Vancouver Island saw maybe 5-10 cm of snow total this year, and that really isn't too far out of the normal, so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to have mandatory snow tires here (the interior and Northern BC is a whole different story, though).
Don't think of them as snow tires. More accurately, they're winter tires. When it gets cold, snow or not, you want them on.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
They're not only for snow. Because in winter, it gets slippery and hard to navigate. We don't really do it for the snow, it's more of a safety precaution.

Years
TRIFORCE89 said:
Don't think of them as snow tires. More accurately, they're winter tires. When it gets cold, snow or not, you want them on.
LilJz1234 said:
They're not only for snow. Because in winter, it gets slippery and hard to navigate. We don't really do it for the snow, it's more of a safety precaution.
Sorry, made it confusing, I just use the name snow tires and winter tires interchangeably. I know they're used for slick and icy roads too, but just like the snow, we see very little ice on our roads around here, either. Like I said, it would be a good idea to have mandatory winter tires in some places, but I don't know if it'd make sense across the board.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
Sorry, made it confusing, I just use the name snow tires and winter tires interchangeably. I know they're used for slick and icy roads too, but just like the snow, we see very little ice on our roads around here, either. Like I said, it would be a good idea to have mandatory winter tires in some places, but I don't know if it'd make sense across the board.

It would be a good idea to have mandatory winter tires in some places.
I'm in Toronto, and I'm guessing having winter tires is not mandatory here anymore because, heck, look at all the accidents.
They should have it here, though. I mean, in the city with the highest population, it would make sense.

And I know that feel, Cosmotone- losing power and heat during the storm. We didn't lose power, but coincidentally, my house's heater "malfunctioned" during the storm. It was freezing inside. ><

Years
Username: St33lDr4g0n

Relation to Canada: Lived in Saskatchewan for 3 years (yes, I'm still here)
Favourite province: Sakatchewan >:D
Reason for joining: I live in Canada

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
If you could go on a week long vacation to any one place in Canada, where would you go?

Maybe Toronto? I always go to Toronto but never enough for sightseeing AND hanging around with friends. A week long vacation would be great, will give me enough time for both :)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
If you could go on a week long vacation to any one place in Canada, where would you go?

Maybe Toronto? I always go to Toronto but never enough for sightseeing AND hanging around with friends. A week long vacation would be great, will give me enough time for both :)
I'd want to go out west to Vancouver or out east and tour the maritimes

Years
I guess I'd want to visit Toronto for a week, followed closely by Montreal. And while I've got no specific city in mind, I'd like to visit the Maritimes, too.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
...Toronto's fun. :3
I'd personally love to travel to Vancouver or Calgary.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I can't WAIT for spring. I was so happy to see the snow in front of my apartment building melting but then, yesterday it started to snow hard again...

I really hope that this was the last time that it snowed... (which I doubt)

Years
I don't know if I can say I'm all that excited for Spring... when I'm still waiting for Winter to happen; in total I think we got 2 or 3 days of snow all the way back in December. Seeing as how it's March in another couple hours, I think our Winter weather is long gone over here.

I might have to move out East one day to experience a real Canadian Winter (I loved it the last time I was in Calgary where it was -20 and snowing). Maybe I'm just crazy, but I'm sick of the mild weather we get here in January-February.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I'd love to go to Toronto to see a basketball or baseball game. Or to see Caribana. Any combination of the three would be awesome.
Basketball. Baseball is boring to sit through and the Jays are terrible. XD

I've never been to Caribana, but simultaneous to that is a similarly themed festival at Harbour Front. I go to that almost every year

Back