• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

Years
'kay guys, since a couple of you are suggesting Thriller, would you guys mind if I add that to the genre list? If so, then Feign and solovino I'll let you guys have a chance to edit your forms. :) Reason I didn't add that to the list cause I always thought Suspense and Thriller are basically the same (thinks how Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons are considered thrillers and suspense interchangeably). ^^; Also, in the original thread at Serebii, Thriller's not in there. O.o

Also, I'm already planning changing a couple of things in the Index thread, but nothing too drastic. This is still in the beginning stages so yes I'll be changing things around a bit and it'll be a few days until everything's in tact. ^^;

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Can I just say that I'm heavily amused by the pun in the phrase "reviews are overrated"?

I totally didn't notice that before. Now I'm very amused, too.

It always amuses me when the meaning of some English words suddenly strike me. I mean, I can use a phrase for years and then suddenly realize that it's actually made of two words that both actually have a meaning... Too bad I can't think of an example.

</unrelatedness>

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 13, 2009
Does anyone know where a good RS walk through is? Part of my fanfic is in Hoenn, and I lost my copy of Pokemon Ruby.

Years
Does anyone know where a good RS walk through is? Part of my fanfic is in Hoenn, and I lost my copy of Pokemon Ruby.
Try Youtube. Maybe IGN. And of course, you could hunt around for an actual R/S guidebook :P

On another note...I was poking around and found my old threads that I made back when I wrote my first fan fic...I seriously need to get back to this. But Requiem takes top pririty right now :D

Years
Hmmm...would it be entirely out of place to have a real school (as in learning 2+2= fish, not Pokemon school) and Pokemon video games(obviously NOT named after their real life counter parts) in a fic? :/

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Not at all. I mean, for the school, the kids gotta learn some basic facts for those morons who can't handle Pokemon training and actually get a real job. (Like all those chefs I remember seeing in the Johto League.) So unless you have trainers that are exceptionally brain-dead and can't read a word, school would be fine. I even have it in my fic.

Same with the video games. It might be possible.

Really, it's your world, and the canon Pokemon world is so unexplored, so you can do pretty much whatever you want to with the society and culture.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

The sites that were already suggested are good, as is Gamefaqs.

Also, to redjacket about schools and whatnot, agreeing with Asty here. It's even canon in some cases that there's actually a regular school. (Won't go into details because that would entail me being overly fangirly, but both Electric Tale of Pikachu and Special mention regular schools and colleges.) So, they exist, but we just don't see them that often because the main characters of the canon are usually focused completely on their journey. However, with fanfiction, it's perfectly kosher to color outside the lines and have a real school if it fits your storyline.

As for the games, it could work and serve as light humor (like, "lol, game within a game"), but I'd say maybe avoid drawing attention to the reference. Think of how we handle animals in our games. We don't really have things like, "Animal: Red Version," and considering Pokémon are their wildlife, they probably don't either. (Although people could argue that we do with things like Animal Crossing. *shrug*) If that's what you mean by "obviously not named after their counterparts," though, then it's really kosher there too because it's pretty normal for video games to include things like wildlife. Sonic the Hedgehog, Animal Crossing, Star Fox, that kind of deal.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Hehe. My fanfic (CLICK DER LINK IN DER SIGGY PLS) got a couple of reviews, and both said they wanted sequels, so I'll be writing one.

Also, somewhere in the deep, murky bog that passes for my brain, I have a plan for a comedy oneshot involving the Sinnoh gang (Ash, Dawn, Brock, Paul, maybe Zoey, Kenny, Nando etc) getting roped into a Shakespeare play. I can just imagine Ash ("Uh...what does this word mean? And this one? What about this one?") and Brock (as Romeo or similar), not to mention Paul ("I can't believe you managed to con me into this"). Ooh, brainwave. Conway as the guy who knows the whole damn play by heart. And just cos I like ContestShipping, I might put May and Drew in as well.

Then again, imagine Paul as Juliet... *evil grin*

EDIT: Oh, and CLICK DER LINK IN DER SIGGY PLS. TYVM.

OK, I'm done with text lingo now. In case you were worried.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Hehe. My fanfic (CLICK DER LINK IN DER SIGGY PLS) got a couple of reviews, and both said they wanted sequels, so I'll be writing one.

Also, somewhere in the deep, murky bog that passes for my brain, I have a plan for a comedy oneshot involving the Sinnoh gang (Ash, Dawn, Brock, Paul, maybe Zoey, Kenny, Nando etc) getting roped into a Shakespeare play. I can just imagine Ash ("Uh...what does this word mean? And this one? What about this one?") and Brock (as Romeo or similar), not to mention Paul ("I can't believe you managed to con me into this"). Ooh, brainwave. Conway as the guy who knows the whole damn play by heart. And just cos I like ContestShipping, I might put May and Drew in as well.

Then again, imagine Paul as Juliet... *evil grin*

EDIT: Oh, and CLICK DER LINK IN DER SIGGY PLS. TYVM.

OK, I'm done with text lingo now. In case you were worried.

rofl... Or some pokemon that can speak english that has some kind of strange agenda (Slowking, being it smart etc?)

Or how Paul always says "You're pathetic." You should have him say that, when someone like Ash mispronounces a word. Then Ash would retaliate saying something like "Well you didn't want to do this either!"

In a few of Shakespeare's plays, he often has a funny duo, Team Rocket would fit that well ;) (ie Rosencrantz and Guildenstern).

Misheard Whisper

Years
Actually, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern did cross my mind for TR (I was in Hamlet last year =D). I was leaning more towards Stephano and Trinculo, though!

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
It's been about 8 months since I've looked at Shakespeare XD

Otherwise good stuff, under appreciated imo.

The Tempest was the first Shakespeare I read, for school, though that was a while ago now, so I don't really remember it that much, only that there was an island, some fairies and it was Shakespeare's last work, which he somewhat made obvious in the play itself.

Misheard Whisper

Years
Yeah, we're currently studying the Tempest now, which is why I'm full of it. We studied the Merchant of Venice last year. BORING. And like I said, I was in Hamlet. I've seen A Midsummer Night's Dream, the Taming of the Shrew, and Pericles, Prince of Tyre performed too. I love Shakespeare, which people think is really weird for a 14 year old.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Ah well, you need the right mentality and understanding... Not to mention the language is quite different. I know teachers cringe when they see internet speak in essays etc. As well, I find the olde (hehe) meaning of words to be self-explanatory now that I've studied enough of his work.

Though, it makes me wonder how hard kids will have it in the future, with the way the language is going these days. I remember reading an article where some British professor, suggested that since internet speak etc has become the norm, as well as phonetic spelling, that they should start accepting both in regular english classes...

Yeah needless to say I was shocked too, sure over the years there has been some deviations (American English has plenty of examples), but those are still considered correct.

If I were a professor though, and I saw something like:

"i tink dat u can mak da caraktr look big" (bad example)

I'd hand an insta-fail. And probably suggest they try to become a rapper >.> lol But that they'd need money for "bling" first.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
Though, it makes me wonder how hard kids will have it in the future, with the way the language is going these days. I remember reading an article where some British professor, suggested that since internet speak etc has become the norm, as well as phonetic spelling, that they should start accepting both in regular english classes...

More's the pity. I can safely say that I don't want my offspring to be a bumbling moron who can't be bothered to put the "yo" in front of that 'u'. I can't help but partially blame text messaging.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
More's the pity. I can safely say that I don't want my offspring to be a bumbling moron who can't be bothered to put the "yo" in front of that 'u'. I can't help but partially blame text messaging.

Well, if you native peoples ruin it, we secondary speakers will keep it in shape. In Finland, at least, we have a pretty good English education starting from elementary schools, and it includes writing (funnily enough, what it doesn't include is correct pronunciation). Also, most of English theachers here are moody middle-aged women, and they won't be teaching "u"s very soon, even if it does become official.

Yay, a language saved?

I just hope my own language doesn't get diluted by English and disappear from the lack of use. Only 6 million people speak Finnish right now, and I fear people don't respect it enough. It's a damn hard language, so I think it's really cool to be able to speak it :< Please don't die, little language!

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Well, if you native peoples ruin it, we secondary speakers will keep it in shape. In Finland, at least, we have a pretty good English education starting from elementary schools, and it includes writing (funnily enough, what it doesn't include is correct pronunciation). Also, most of English theachers here are moody middle-aged women, and they won't be teaching "u"s very soon, even if it does become official.

Yay, a language saved?

I just hope my own language doesn't get diluted by English and disappear from the lack of use. Only 6 million people speak Finnish right now, and I fear people don't respect it enough. It's a damn hard language, so I think it's really cool to be able to speak it :< Please don't die, little language!

Yeah, that's pretty much how it is for all secondary language teachers... Sometimes even they fail at pronunciation (French being the secondary language).

That's too bad Finnish is being overrun though :S

Misheard Whisper

Years
I know what you mean, but you gotta put it in context. I can SMS, or come on here, and spk lyk dis w da bst of dem, but there's a distinction between that and real life. Also, there's a distinction between fanfiction and the other forums. If I read a fic, I expect the words to be written in full, and decent GRAMMAR. Some of these people are 20+ and still not getting it!

Lana.

*spin*
Years
Hah. This talk of people with poor grammar reminds me...

I was in TV Production the other day, and had nothing to do. So I reach over to where the Teacher Assistant is going over some journalism articles (the teacher does both journalism and TV Production). I start proofreading them... and these are journalism kids, the ones who elected to partake in this class because they like writing articles (hence the term 'elective'), right?

...None of them could write worth anything. And most of them had terrible grammar. I wanted to ram my head into the desk because these kids are supposedly the ones that will be writing the local paper in a few years. Even my dad tells me he gets absolute crap proposals where he works.

And no one can use texting as an excuse to explain why they can't be bothered to write/type things out. I know people that text 200 some messages a day, and they write everything out. I like this forum because a good number of people respect the English language...

I remember reading an article where some British professor, suggested that since internet speak etc has become the norm, as well as phonetic spelling, that they should start accepting both in regular english classes...

*eyetwitch* Please, no... o_0

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Now now people, as long as there are writers like us, there is hope for English.

By the way, Astinus...do you ever sleep? Or are you truly deity in that regard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back