• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite anime/manga.

Years
Which are your fave anime and/or manga series? Why? Are they your faves because you're extremely biased? Or even in your unbiased opinion the said series is so good that it deserves the #1 spot? If the former is true, which series do you objectively think is the best series you've watched.

For example, I consider the OP anime one of my faves. But objectively speaking, it is horrible. It has bad pacing and animation. But I'm biased, so yeah. I consider FMAB, Gintama and even Clannad and its sequel to be much better anime if I try an unbiased perspective. They're just worlds apart when it comes the things like animation and pacing overall. So yeah.

First anime/manga subsection thread get!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Tsubasa Chronicles in both categories.
I can't explain it well but... when I finished watching, I felt something I haven't felt from any other work before and I must say as well after.
It was also the first manga I have finished reading and completed the story that way.
Even though I have seen it like... 5 or more years ago, I still hold it dearly.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
Definantly either Fate/Zero or AnoHana...

I guess i'm a bit biased with both because i just love the Type Moon Universe so much, and I can relate so well with Ano Hana. Both shows in my opinion are amazing and do everything almost perfectly.

I gotta say though Cowboy Bebop was probably the greatest anime i've seen

Years
Favorite anime.. hmmm. Fate/Zero, Fairy Tail, Kuroko no Basket, Attack on Titan, Hitman Reborn, Durarara!!, FMA Brotherhood.. the list goes on and on. D8 They all have great stories and fun characters so it's hard for me to not love 'em. I'm a fan of action anime so that's another plus since all of these had quite a lot of that. Plus the characters were great!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Okay so I usually give the same answer every time but I was browsing Toonami's Wikipedia page and I discovered... The Big O! I'm pretty sure this was literally my favorite thing to watch every freaking night and even after I drifted away from Adult Swim in favor of more accessible ways to view anime, this... wow just seeing the name brought a flood of nostalgia. I'm rushing to animeultima right now to see if I can find some episodes... anyway yeah this is definitely my favorite anime of all time. I remember nothing about it but it just smells like a classic.

Some others include Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Naruto, FLCL, Trigun, and Attack on Titan.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I love SKET Dance, Natsume Yuuchinjou, K-ON!, Bakuman and Hachimitsu no Clover.

They are my favourites because of my own biased opinion.

Years
My all-time favorite Anime has got to be Clannad and Clannad Afterstory. I've never seen an anime that made me cry so much. So much life lesson in it. As well as 5 Centimeters per Second...and ya know what. I'm a huge softy. Then again there is also Angel Beats as well....Stahp it Vox Dx
But as for "childhood anime" would be Dragonball - Dragonball GT

My current Favorites are:
Code Geass
Clannad
Shingeki no Kyojin
Accel World
Kokoro Connect
FMA / FMA Brotherhood

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
(Why so many Eotenas fans o.O)

I am a Yu-gi-oh and Megaman NT Warrior guy. Although I don't know why Megaman never aired every one of the seasons they did in japan. They never finished here in america.
It's pretty normal for USA anime... there are many occasions of this happening...
YGO GX, Tokyo Mew Mew, F-Zero are some I can think of. (From the time when I actually watched anime in English o.O)

Years
My fave anime, huh? That's a hard one. If I had to choose, it would probably be either Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica, Kyoukai no Kanata, or Lucky☆Star. If you haven't seen them yet, watch them immediately!

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
For anime, I honestly don't really know which one I'd consider my favourite. I've watched so many animes that I thought were good, like FMA:B, Attack on Titan, Fairy Tail, Naruto (as overrated as it is), Code Geass, and the list goes on. I also really liked the first half of Sword Art Online, but I reckon most people know that it lost its touch during the ALFheim part. But to choose a favourite between all of those.. I honestly don't really know which one I'd pick. I reckon the two that's be closest to the top would be FMA:B and AoT. FMA:B is really good at tinkering with your emotions as well as providing you with lots of good laughs, and it just had an overall great plot and premise. I haven't watched it in quite a while, but I don't recall it to have too many fight scenes, at least not compared to Attack on Titan, but the characters were memorable and lovable, and I definitely feel like it's one of the best to date. Attack on Titan on the other hand was more about the action scenes, and the intensity and suspense they encompassed. Contrary to FMA:B, while some of the characters were kinda memorable, I don't think many of them really got a chance to shine. I mean of course it isn't finished yet, but so far it has mainly been Erin, Mikasa and Armin, where we really got to know the Recon Corps members in some of the latter episodes as well, but I didn't feel like they ever really elaborated too much on all of the other graduates. Hopefully we'll get to see that later on, granted it gets a second season. But for what it's been so far, it's definitely at the top of my list.

As for mangas; I've never really been too big of a manga reader. I read a bit of Naruto, since I have a friend who used to be really into it at one point, and he convinced me to read some of it, but I'd already watched some of the anime, and had grown quite accustomed to that over the manga. So yeah, not really a competitor. To be honest, the only mangas I recall reading completely through are the Dragon Ball manga and Gantz, both which I've thought were just amazing. Dragonball probably takes the spot as my favourite entirely due to nostalgia, and also due to how half-arsed the ending of Gantz was, but just the whole premise of Gantz, the whole alien hunting thing, it was just a great concept, it was very well issued, and I really enjoyed all of the missions, and I feel like the ending just didn't capture the essence of all that quite as well. Because it set a completely different atmosphere. And I feel like that kinda drags it a bit down on the rating list. That and all the fan-service. In any case, it was still a great manga, and I wish it would've been longer.

Zhuq

Pokemon Trainer Zarraf
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 5, 2014
Death Note. It deserves the #1 spot because of its story plot twists and turns and characters. I t has very strange characters like L, Near, Mello. Even the main character is the enemy. So, it deserves the spot.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Death Note. It deserves the #1 spot because of its story plot twists and turns and characters. I t has very strange characters like L, Near, Mello. Even the main character is the enemy. So, it deserves the spot.

Agh, loved Death Note! Still didn't make my top 5 though.

Top 5 favorite anime atm:

1.) Fairy Tail
2.) Naruto Shippuden
3.) Air Gear
4.) Yu Yu Hakusho
5.) Cowboy Bebop

Watched more anime than manga. The manga that I frequent are mainstream like FT, Naruto Shippuden, One Piece and sometimes Bleach (stopped reading after he destroyed Aizen).

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen yesterday
I honestly don't know where to begin, funnily enough. Let's break it down a bit, shall we?
Keep in mind that this is not in order:

• Aria (all three seasons)
    It is seriously the most relaxing anime I've ever seen, and I mean seriously relaxing. The only other manga (and by extension, anime) I can think of that rivals it in tone is Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, which a lot of people apparently consider to be the ultimate example of an iyashikei anime. I've yet to see YKK's ova adaptions, but I'd definitely recommend Aria.

• Fullmetal Alchemist
    Granted, I prefered Brotherhood over the 2003 adaption, but that aside, there are numerous reasons why I love FMA, some of which I have trouble putting into words. Allow me to say one thing: Arakawa-sensei is an amazing writer.

• Gin no Saji/Silver Spoon
    Another manga by Arakawa-sensei. Compared to FMA, I love Silver Spoon due to how the author chose to portray the farm industry without sugarcoating anything.

• Girl Friends
    I agree the pacing is a bit on the slow side, but if you look past that, Girl Friends is a wonderful manga that portrays a lesbian relationship without resorting to fetishisation.

• Koe no Katachi
    I loved the original oneshot for not pulling any punches when it comes to portraying bullying. In this case, I like how it portrays Shouya's guilt of robbing Shouko of her "happy elementary school days", so to speak.

• Ao no Exorcist/Blue Exorcist
    The premise was the first thing to draw me in, but what I love is the interaction between the characters, as well as the questions and possibilities left behind by the plot. Take for example, that incident with Yukio near the end of the Impure King arc, that's one of the reasons why I love Ao no Exorcist.

• Steins;Gate
    What's not to love? Amazing opening song with an equally captivating, character-driven story to match. Granted, the first half is a bit slow, but the second half is what makes S;G amazing as both a Visual Novel and an anime.

• Mawaru Penguindrum
    What's not to love? I's filled to the brim with symbolism to match the compelling plot. That's all I have to say without gushing over it.

• Fate/Zero
    Fate/Zero is my absolute favourite out of Urobotchi's works, and towers over the likes of Madoka and even Psycho-Pass in terms of quality. One thing of note is the story: it manages to deliver a captivating plot without resorting to shocking the audience, unlike a certain magical girl anime.

• Haibane Renmei
    Another Iyashikei anime, but what I love about it are the mysteries surrounding its setting (the titular haibane themselves, the town of Grie and its surrounding walls are the first three to come to mind). Another thing I love is how the pacing was handled to create a calm, yet heartbreaking (taking the second half into account) experience.

Last edited:

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
My favorite Manga would be Donyatsu for I picked it up as soon as it got translated I got super hyped up and I was blown away by it, it is still ongoing and isn't too far into the series but I love it.

My favorite Anime is a tough one because I have seen so many series' I have lost count. My favorite series of anime would have to be either Bleach or Fairy Tail. I was introduced to Fairy Tail by a very good friend of mine and I love it along with Bleach since I love the fight scenes and epic battles me and my younger sister watch it all the time. But when it comes to my most favorite anime ever it would be either Laputa castle in the sky, Akira or Barefoot Gen. Laputa: Castle in the sky is my #1 favorite ghbili film with Porco Rosso coming in second and it holds a place in my heart because of the adventure they go on and how everytime I see a big cloud I wonder if Laputa is inside (kudo's to gintama for making me think that). Akira is also a great movie because of the epic fight scenes and the meaning behind it all. I also love Barefoot Gen because it was the first film to make me cry, it was so meaningful and it opened my eyes and really hit me in the chest. The author of the book wrote it as his way of saying sorry for letting his younger sister die during the WWII bombings, it was really powerful and if I put myself in that position I can feel the pain he would have went through having to deal with that emotion and thought.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
My favorite anime would, no contest, be Spice and Wolf, both seasons.
The chemistry between the characters are just too amazing in my humble opinion.
I'm currently in the progress of continuing with the story, by reading the novels, seeing as more seasons to the anime will probably never see the day of light.
Both Baccano and Durarara are amazing, but they don't stand a chance against Ookami to Koushinryou!

Favorite Manga would probably be Pokémon Adventures!
It's the only manga I am actively collecting nowadays.
I really loved Onani Master Kurosawa and Chikan Otoko, but I'm not sure if they count, since they are technically doujinshis.

NerdSparks

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2016
In no order

Hunter X Hunter
Dragon Ball (w/ Kid Goku)
Yu Yu Haku Sho
FMA Brotherhood (I liked it more than the original)
Gundam Wing

Honorable mentions: Suzuka, Welcome to the NHK, Kids on the Slope, Ruroni Kenshin, Holy Land.

a couple people said air gear and just putting it out there but they had seriously put out an air gear anime (one that was meant to be longer than 50 episodes, something like hunter x hunter) it would be the greatest anime ever.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I don't watch a lot of anime so my favourite would probably seem to be a really bad anime in the eyes of massive anime fans. Anyway, my favourite is and will always be Yugioh GX; I loved Yugioh, combine that with an academy and you've got me hooked!

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I used to be a huge anime watcher when I was younger, but now… not so much. I rarely have time for them these days, haha. Anyway, at the moment, my favorite anime would have to be Sword Art Online. I find the story to be pretty interesting, and the art style's just fantastic. As for manga—I don't read them at all, unfortunately. I did read some Pokémon manga before, but that was a long time ago.

Back