• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I feel that, like many others in this thread, that we were in this 3D train long enough, to be honest. Being first introduced to 3D in Gen IV, I suppose you could say that was GF's method of testing the waters of what 3D was capable of, so to speak, in a Pokemon game. Seeing as it did fairly well, they tested the concept again with similar games such as Gen V, and now, here were are in Gen VI, where the graphics are full-scale 3D.

It's not the prettiest thing that we have but hey, Pokemon is moving on! I like that GF is testing out what works and what doesn't work in a Pokemon game, and then implementing that in a new Pokemon game release, yeah? Just so they know what clicks and what doesn't with their audience.
This seems to be true, especially with the light house in HgSs which seemed more 3D than the rest of the parts to me,which eventually lead to BW's version of 3D.

The biggest jump in these games 3D wise seems to be the sprites, that's the only thing the past two generations haven't prepared us for.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The jump from 2D to 3D makes me think Pokemon X and Y will be regarded as the best entry of the series, like OoT, by the majority.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
The jump from 2D to 3D makes me think Pokemon X and Y will be regarded as the best entry of the series, like OoT, by the majority.

I really think so too; due to this whole jump of gamestyle, I see that it can pleasantly delight nostalgic fans, older fans, and so on; pretty much anyone. Plus, the hype sort of adds to all of this.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I really think so too; due to this whole jump of gamestyle, I see that it can pleasantly delight nostalgic fans, older fans, and so on; pretty much anyone. Plus, the hype sort of adds to all of this.

Finally! You have no idea how much I want to see a new main Pokemon game dethroning G/S/C as the best installment, even though that game didn't deserve that title in the first due to the problems it had (level curve, too many Kanto Pokemon in the wild, not much to go to Kanto, etc.).

blue

gucci
Years
I agree, GSC set the bar high in the eyes of many fans (not mine) which is probably why RSE was so disregarded since GSC was the predecessor. So yeah it would be nice for X and Y to take that title.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Yea I think X & Y has the potential to dethrone G/S/C as the best by nostalgic fans.

There's something I've been considering for a while and I felt I should mention. What if they completely revamp the HM system and just give you key items instead for some of them? Instead of teaching Cut to a pokemon you use a pair of scissors, or a knife; rock-scaling equipment for rock climb. Flash (not an HM) could be a flash light and rock smash (not an HM either) could be some sort of power tool/equipment.

Surfing would be used for deep sea areas as opposed to just short distances where the character could just swim naturally. Strength of course would still be used by Pokemon due to the actual weight/size of boulders/objects. Flying would also still be used by actual Pokemon to get around the fastest. Dive could be a mixture of using different pokemon coupled with scuba gear. Waterfall should still be used along with Pokemon due to the fact it's impossible for children/teens to climb waterfalls haha.

So what do you guys think if these changes were made to Gen VI? Not sure if I should make this it's own standalone thread or just leave it here. Let me know~

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Yea I think X & Y has the potential to dethrone G/S/C as the best by nostalgic fans.

There's something I've been considering for a while and I felt I should mention. What if they completely revamp the HM system and just give you key items instead for some of them? Instead of teaching Cut to a pokemon you use a pair of scissors, or a knife; rock-scaling equipment for rock climb. Flash (not an HM) could be a flash light and rock smash (not an HM either) could be some sort of power tool/equipment.

Surfing would be used for deep sea areas as opposed to just short distances where the character could just swim naturally. Strength of course would still be used by Pokemon due to the actual weight/size of boulders/objects. Flying would also still be used by actual Pokemon to get around the fastest. Dive could be a mixture of using different pokemon coupled with scuba gear. Waterfall should still be used along with Pokemon due to the fact it's impossible for children/teens to climb waterfalls haha.

So what do you guys think if these changes were made to Gen VI? Not sure if I should make this it's own standalone thread or just leave it here. Let me know~

Well Cut slashes down small trees, so you'd need more than a pair of scissors or a knife. Maybe a Hand-Axe? Then again... think of the children. Hand-Axe would probably cater more of a older audience. Soooo I don't think that they'll do much with the Cut TM and leave it as is. Buuuut yeah, maybe rock-climbing equipment in place of rock-climb. I can also see some sort of Flash light replacing Flash, but, would a Flash Light be enough? That's my only concern.

But it's definitely possible for the main character to have more movement in X&Y; we've seen the male protagonist swing on vines, which can be something?

blue

gucci
Years
You could use an Axe in place of Cut, Fly and Surf could become TMs with the HM mechanic, or you have some sort of personal Courier transport. Strength could become a TM also keeping the HM mechanic, assuming Darkened areas are returning therecould be some sort of Light source i.e a Torch rather than depending on a Pokemon for light and then Waterfall and Dive could become TMs too. Either that or they will just stick to the usual HM system...

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 22, 2013
Well Cut slashes down small trees, so you'd need more than a pair of scissors or a knife. Maybe a Hand-Axe? Then again... think of the children. Hand-Axe would probably cater more of a older audience. Soooo I don't think that they'll do much with the Cut TM and leave it as is. Buuuut yeah, maybe rock-climbing equipment in place of rock-climb. I can also see some sort of Flash light replacing Flash, but, would a Flash Light be enough? That's my only concern.

But it's definitely possible for the main character to have more movement in X&Y; we've seen the male protagonist swing on vines, which can be something?

Well FF3 and 4 on the DS were only Rated E10+ and they had full blown murder with swords and the like against other "people". I could see them getting away with having a small hand-axe or something like that if they wanted to.

If anything, I could see them forgetting the whole HM system and making it depend on your individual pokemon. Say if you have a Water type with you, you don't need Surf since it can swim naturally by default. Same with pokemon with wings being able to Fly. Since they would still have to limit you in when and where you can use them in the story, you'd still have to get the proper gym badges to be able to use the skills.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Kinda not 100% convinced of that. People... dislike change, and it'll take a while to get used to that, honestly. They'll probably have perfected it more by gen 7 honestly. X & Y just... well, I don't expect the graphics to be THAT amazing. :(

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Well FF3 and 4 on the DS were only Rated E10+ and they had full blown murder with swords and the like against other "people". I could see them getting away with having a small hand-axe or something like that if they wanted to.

If anything, I could see them forgetting the whole HM system and making it depend on your individual pokemon. Say if you have a Water type with you, you don't need Surf since it can swim naturally by default. Same with pokemon with wings being able to Fly. Since they would still have to limit you in when and where you can use them in the story, you'd still have to get the proper gym badges to be able to use the skills.
This. I always thought it stupid that basic survival instincts need to be taught by the trainer with some disc. I mean, wasn't the pokemon swimming just now before you caught it? Never made sense, and it never will.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I did wonder why pokemon in the games don't have their own natural abilities, but instead, they need to be taught by TMs and HMs and such. I'd make sense for a Lapras to automatically know how to Surf, right? Well, maybe pokemon like Lapras can learn HMs on it's own. Maybe something like that.

Years
Pokemon do have the ability to swim, fly, etc. They just have to be taught how to carry a person without accidentally knocking them off, adjusting to the added weight, etc. etc. You could even argue that moves like Cut and Strength are more about teaching the Pokemon to fine-tune their skills. In other words, you teach your Pokemon to cut only one small area and not wildly all over the place. (I know that's not the best argument, but eh.)

Still, I would also rather have HM moves be built in to certain Pokemon and have badges unlock their use.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I was just thinking it would be interesting if the Champion was actually Champions and it was a double battle.

Failing that I would like to see a double gym leader make a return. A triple battle would probably be a bit much.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Actually, a champion double battle would be pretty interesting that would break the tradition of single champion battles! I wanted to see more gym double battles, but I haven't really thought of a possible E4 or Champion double battle. But, I dunno, it's sort of unlikely because I don't think it's possible to have "co-Champions", unless the region in X&Y has a different champion league system? Plus, arguably, one might say that single-battle champion battles are more epic, which... you know, I'm not too sure about that. Any battle can be epic on its own right.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I was just thinking it would be interesting if the Champion was actually Champions and it was a double battle.

Failing that I would like to see a double gym leader make a return. A triple battle would probably be a bit much.

Double champions would be interesting but I think they missed their chance for that in Unova where the two dragon leaders could've totally taken over e4 together :( It just seems a little less likely because it'd have been more suited to then I guess.

Years
I think they might do that for RS remakes if they can't decide if they want to keep Wallace or go back to Steven...though I'll like to see double champions in the new region, maybe a female and male twin...what if they're...Tate and Liza! Well Caitlin did go from Frontier Brain...sort of to E4 of a foreign region. Which reminds me, some people think Caitlin may be the champion of this region as she did seem to express some interest in being champion in Gen V, well according to them. It'll be a real shocker, more so than her appearance as an E4 in BW.

Years
Come to think about it Caitlin would fit well with France seeing how she dresses all princess like and even had her own Butler in PtHgSs, and still seems princess like in BWB2W2. Maybe the League building is a castle with Caitlin as it's "Queen".

Though a Tate and Liza like pair would be awesome!

blue

gucci
Years
I would love another pair of Gym leaders, its been a long time now since Tate and Liza, but I think a triple leader battle is more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back