• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Potentially facing over 30 years, Internet activist commits suicide.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Well you see, TRIFORCE89, it's the mentality of copyright protection, in my view.
I'm too cynical to believe a 35 year sentence was based on damages and trespass alone.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Well you see, TRIFORCE89, it's the mentality of copyright protection, in my view.
I'm too cynical to believe a 35 year sentence was based on damages and trespass alone.
Perhaps not (35 years is outrageous in either event, anyway). And 35 years would have been the maximum sentence, doesn't mean that's what he going to receive.

Prosecutors told his attorney a few days before he committed suicide that realistically he was only looking at six months. Would have been good if someone actually told him that. Perhaps he wouldn't have taken his life.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
In addition to what I said earlier, there's been one constant thought going through my mind every time I hear about this: "martyr." They turned him into one, now they get to reap the consequences.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Perhaps not (35 years is outrageous in either event, anyway). And 35 years would have been the maximum sentence, doesn't mean that's what he going to receive.

Prosecutors told his attorney a few days before he committed suicide that realistically he was only looking at six months. Would have been good if someone actually told him that. Perhaps he wouldn't have taken his life.
Interesting.

It still worries me that even the maximum can be over a year or two in any case, though I concede this would be a matter for another thread if I were to continue going on about it.

In addition to what I said earlier, there's been one constant thought going through my mind every time I hear about this: "martyr." They turned him into one, now they get to reap the consequences.
I'm not sure I follow your wording. Who's reaping the consequences and what are they?

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
The consequences are widespread public outrage against their office.

The rest of the world may care at least to a certain extent, but a vast majority in America don't even know, and a good number of those who do don't even care.

The media is a handy little tool when it comes to telling the people only what you want them to hear, isn't it? Add to that the false belief that anything and everything on the internet is untrustworthy and shouldn't be taken into consideration.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
The rest of the world may care at least to a certain extent, but a vast majority in America don't even know, and a good number of those who do don't even care.
That's funny, because pretty much everyone I know has spoken out against this. This was pretty widely reported, I don't know what you're getting at.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
That's funny, because pretty much everyone I know has spoken out against this. This was pretty widely reported, I don't know what you're getting at.

I don't know the same people you do, and the people I do know (family, friends from school) don't ever hear about this kind of stuff. And even if it was on the local news, I don't think most people would be phased by this as much as the people here are. "Oh, someone killed themselves in order to not face jailtime? Heard that before."

People don't question what goes on, unless it's something to do with patriotism, politics, or children. Everything else in America is in one ear and out the other essentially.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
The only place I've come across it, aside from more technology-inclined websites, is CNN. And their angle was "Well, he was a prodigy and that's a shame. But... he did still steal and that's the rule." Not really outrage

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
He's not the only person who tried to weasel his way out of criminal charges through suicide. A lot of people with charges do that.

Back