• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Attack on Titan

Years
Surely it was a matter of time before we got a thread on this, right?! Below is a summary of the series, written by MangaHelpers and used on MAL's official Attack on Titan summary page:

Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by titans. Titans are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of titans.

Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a titan in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a colossal titan that appears out of thin air. As the smaller titans flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Eren vows that he will murder every single titan and take revenge for all of mankind.

What do you think of the series? Did you watch the anime, read the manga, or both? What do you think of the art? Who is your favorite character? Remember to mark spoilers accordingly.

The series is doing very well in Japan and has ranked as the #1 anime-related search term in Japan in 2013. Source: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...s-google-japans-anime-keyword-ranking-of-2013

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I started to watch the Attack on Titan anime several months ago cause it was getting so much hype as the series was unfolding. I have only seen 5 episodes and I'm already enjoying it a ton. The story gets really immense right away and it's just so riveting. I mean episode 5's ending was so surprising.
Spoiler:

Each character is rather dynamic and has a different story which makes them so much unique and not flat. The animation is beautiful in my opinion. It's very edgy and rigid than normal anime, but that's how it stands out. I really don't have a favorite character , but Misaka is pretty badass. There's just a whole bunch of good characters though. Overall I say it's one of my favorite anime right now and I'm really looking forward to watching more. Manga I haven't started cause I never have money to buy manga , but I really want to find it somewhere.
Pretty rubbish, even for a mindless shounen.

You seem to say this for a lot of anime. Are you really THAT critical when it comes to anime? Maybe have more of an open mind....

Last edited:

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I've watched up to episode 25 of the anime (which if I'm not wrong is what it's up to right now?) and saw an OVA. Not sure how many OVAs they have released so far though.

I don't really watch much anime nowadays so can't really compare or judge much, but I think it's been good so far. Was going to read the manga as well but didn't in the end. The whole concept of Titans is pretty interesting and I am looking forward to more episodes.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
For once, I gotta agree with Lappy.

I watched anime, read manga up to now (gotta regret that...)
And as I'm always saying, the first arc was interesting. It was something new.
But the following arcs were seriously crappy...
Spoilers ahead:
Spoiler:

And then there are new manga events.
Spoiler:

Years
I enjoyed the series at the start, and while I'm not as critical as other detesters of the show, I do agree that I feel the story took a direction that wasn't as interesting as it could have been, I still feel that some of the characters are worth hanging around for. I havn't read any of the manga though, so I'm still on the anime cliffhanger. It's still to early to tell if it's going to go in a direction I like or not, and I'm willing to give it another season to find out.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
The art is nice, the ideas behind it can make something of it. The story though... I dunno, character development was really top notch but I think there's a reason they need our money for a movie. It will eventually be considered a classic because it had an innovating storyline and wasn't the oh no I can't beat you better train some more was tons repeat stuff that is basically every action anime. I would call it the best manga because donyatsu bakes the cake for that. I want to see where it goes and what the faraway place looks like... If you've read/seen that far. Not sure haven't seen the anime.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
It was great... until...

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Exactly this.

Spoiler:

Nonono. It was...
Spoiler:

Luc-R-io

Unhatched Riolu Egg
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen May 1, 2015
I watched it, and instantly loved it. It's a bit gory, yeah... But the characters are interesting, and I really want to to know what's going to happen to Eren and the future of humanity. I'm on episode 20 currently.

Years
I read the manga before watching the anime. It was grotesque, yet interesting to see how the directors animated the series. The first episode left a huge impression and that was instantly what got me hooked.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
I read the manga first. Should have seen my face where they turned what is probably my favourite scene in the series....
Spoiler:

....into this garbage

If any of you actually prefer the anime version you should feel bad.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I read the manga first. Should have seen my face where they turned what is probably my favourite scene in the series....
Spoiler:

....into this garbage

There was a cat, everything forgiven.

Unless not...
Well... they had to add "DRAMA"! into the series... and EPIC moments... and... did not work.
Pretty much everything that went to the ending had to be redone so they could randomly end the anime.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
Well... just finished the anime series :p

I had originally kept up with the show because it's strong start and interesting concept/setting hooked me. I was watching it weekly until...

Spoiler:

I was just so pissed off that I stopped watching the series until now XD
Quite frankly I did enjoy the series, while it's not the "greatest anime of all time" or even 2013 for that matter it was an enjoyable ride that had a mounds of potential that was kinda... not ruined but messed up by the fact there needed to be some sort of OP shonen power.

Other than that I think the main problem that the show had were its characters. The main protaganist is just a stereotypical annoying shonen main lead. The main female protag is just perfect at everything and the almost unrealistic attachment to Eren made me want to just punch my tv out of annoyance. The only reason she almost ever opens her mouth is to say something to or about Eren. Then there's Armin who starts out annoying and whiny and ends up annoying and better for the most part. He's probably the most developed character which is sad considering the small amount of development given to him. I enjoyed most of the rest of the cast, but their lack of screen time which led to lack of development made them seem kinda distant.

While AoT had many problems it was still really enjoyable and better than many shonen anime.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Spoiler:

....into this garbage

Am I looking at this wrong because that manga scene is... nothing. Vacant looks, pretty boring dialogue there. The scene in the clip, however, is dramatic and intense. You may prefer the manga but that was a very odd comparison.

The main female protag is just perfect at everything and the almost unrealistic attachment to Eren made me want to just punch my tv out of annoyance. The only reason she almost ever opens her mouth is to say something to or about Eren. Then there's Armin who starts out annoying and whiny and ends up annoying and better for the most part.

I agree, this was the main pitfall. Mikasa had all the makings of a good character but the fact that she revolved around Eren, with little interactions or development elsewhere, was annoying.

I never warmed to Armin, at all. I'm not even sure how he managed to pass any of the exams/training sessions considering how generally awful he is throughout the series.

Years
I liked it other than a bit of the story, seemed a bit bland. But episode 1!

Spoiler:

And this:

Spoiler:

And who doesn't love the first OP? (Is it wrong to watch the anime instead of reading the manga?)

lozzop

Monkey slut!
Years
I've seen 6 episodes and a bit of another I think, it's good, but it's also like, super creepy. The first episode was really gross, I watched it with my friend and she just burst out laughing at the particularly gross part near the end XD. (If you've seen it you probably know which bit I mean...) Even though I'm enjoying it I feel like it just drags a bit, the first episode was amazing, so was the second tbf! But then at like episode 3+ it was just the guy training and it was really boring. Idk if I'm going to watch more, I might it I have some spare time and I finish re-rewatching Orange is The New Black and 2 broke girls ^^

Last edited:

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Dub Casting Reveal 1
Keith – Patrick Seitz
Moses – Jeff Johnson
Erwin – J. Michael Tatum
Marco – Austin Tindle
Carla – Jessica Cavanagh
Grisha – Chris Hury
Hannes – David Wald