• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Eternity - Realtime Battles, future MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Yes I am still continuing it.
1) Yes there will be a story. Although I haven't really started thinking about it much.

2) I don't think it will be standard. The main trainer is not always just a young boy or girl eager to becoming a Pokemon Master. You can pick many different trainer types from old men to old women. Therefore the story wouldn't work like it normally does. However I think there will be similar elements such as defeating the bad guys, etc.

3) Starter Pokemon hasn't been decided yet. I have toyed around with the idea of a random starter such as picking a Fire type you either get a Cyndaquil, Charmander, Torchic, or Chimchar, etc. Also thought about the starting quest choices can affect it as well. So for instance you accomplish X optional task, or you answer the NPC's in specific ways, you get a higher chance of getting a certain Pokemon. That sorta thing, but I am not sure the best way just yet.

4) As far as music it will be a combo of various Pokemon games, anime, and custom probably.

5) Yeah there will be some special Pokemon not available normally and must be got through events, rare quests, or special means.

6) Yup you will have an account and username.

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
Thats awesome, I love the Idea of being given a starter based on a personality quiz, I say go for it. Oh and If you want I could post an ad in the Newgrounds audio portal asking for some Pokemon game themed music and If your looking for any help on the story, I would love to help.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
Videos:
Ingame with Pokemon!

Charmander Scratching and Charging.

Charmander Fire Wheel

Release 4 Pokemon. Pidgey Flies!

Solarbeam Concept!

Jump Arcanine!

Rattatta shoots bubbles! Lol

Example of beta Map Editor

Why Python? Why not C/C++? Theres better APIs for C++ thats better geared for gaming like OpenGL and DirectX

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Because we wanted to learn Python so that's what we went with. There is no benefit in switching languages this late in the game, Python provides everything we need. Not to mention, starting from scratch would be pointless and a waste of all of our time thus far.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
I find it very interesting that you didnt do a grid system for the maps, like in the regular pokemon games, I find that easier to organise

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
It does support grid aligning in the editor, it just doesn't require it for everything.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
I congratulate you for your progress, and IMHO Its probably the best fan game thats being made right now, Not flattering you or anything, the good ones are good, but lack originality and this is original. Im going to start on a similar project, but Im going to do it differently, but I think the mouse input Idea was a good idea.

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Thanks for your support. :) Good luck on your project, let me know how it progresses. I agree on the mouse. I could of gone the traditional Pokemon controls, but it makes more sense to put something to use that virtually all computers have. Even the DS has a stylus. It will definitely make things better to have a precision pointer. Makes it faster to open menus, control multiple windows, so more information on the screen, and do various other tasks Pokemon in general couldn't.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2010
OMG! how can u possibly make this game
im shocked when i see this game .. i hav always thought of this idea but i never knew theres actually people working on it ! wow..cant wait to play this game

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
OMG! how can u possibly make this game
im shocked when i see this game .. i hav always thought of this idea but i never knew theres actually people working on it ! wow..cant wait to play this game
Seriously, you too can make a game like this, theres a steep learning curve I guess, you first have to learn a programming language, I recommend C++ since the APIs are highly documented and tutorialized. So pick up a book and start reading, its highly mathematical, so I suggest you are done with Basic Algebra and Geometry at least... then you have to learn the API, but with practice, you won't need tutorials, you just learn from the documents and examples that usually come with the APIs. and if you learn C++ it will help you ALOT in other languages too. The ideas are pretty much the same, just think of it as different dialects and accents....

Years
  • Seen May 8, 2015
Are you guys still looking for mappers? If so I think I can offer my services as I feel this project is the most interesting I have ever seen!

Lén1

Eternity Staff
Years
At this time the map editor is not finished (i think 80% when i tested the last version 2 days ago).

Kami is still working on it.

But i'm not sure that you will be able to map, not because we are not looking for mappers, but because our program is more looking like photoshop than paint, if paint is compared to RPG MAKER.

I'm sure that Spira will ask you for help here if we need.

Merry Christmas !

(sry for my english, i'm french :D)

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2009
this game really could cause nintendo to loose money

arent you afraid of being sued

i am also myself developing a pokemon game but mine is browser based so dont have any cool graphics

but your game is awesome

and i am hell sure you are making this game for earning hell amount of money

but how are you not afraid of being sued by nintendo ?

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
this game really could cause nintendo to loose money

arent you afraid of being sued

i am also myself developing a pokemon game but mine is browser based so dont have any cool graphics

but your game is awesome

He cant get sued unless hes charging money, other than that, they wont give a crap. Looks at sony, homebrew really hit the PSP HARD ISOs and games are being made, they cant sue a community of people. thats why PS3 is hard as **** to hack now

Lén1

Eternity Staff
Years

1) No, kami has started this project to have practice and fun when she wasn't doing her homework. This game will EVER be free, and moreover it's forbidden to earn money on something that isn't our property.

2) They can try to sued us, but first, the " Prime Server " for the french version will be based in Switzerland (so we don't fear anything :classic:), I don't know for the English server. Then, We don't earn money from it. they can force us to don't use their properties .. and then ? nothing, just change the logo and the name and do crappy other sprites, but giving a zip files (patch) separated from the CLIENT ... to restore the real sprites ....

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2009
1) No, kami has started this project to have practice and fun when she wasn't doing her homework. This game will EVER be free, and moreover it's forbidden to earn money on something that isn't our property.

2) They can try to sued us, but first, the " Prime Server " for the french version will be based in Switzerland (so we don't fear anything :classic:), I don't know for the English server. Then, We don't earn money from it. they can force us to don't use their properties .. and then ? nothing, just change the logo and the name and do crappy other sprites, but giving a zip files (patch) separated from the CLIENT ... to restore the real sprites ....

so you tell me that
you are doing this game
and wont earn even a single dolar from anything like advertisements or donations (giving rewards to the donations)

bull crap

if you really dont earn anything which means you will also carry expenses yourself

well i dont belive :)

and in my opinion which do not bring money wont be able to live long unless it is not a charity work

but i am agree with Switzerland part :D

Lén1

Eternity Staff
Years
Yep, no money :D

Few reasons to that:
Players <=> Servers <=> Database

Your computer (client) speak with mine (server), my computer (server) speak with the database (a simple SQL).

The DB is hosted by kami on her own FTP ... unlimited bandwith & co , and she already pay for that. Because she has many websites.

Because "we" are the servers, and because i'm french, I have "unlimited internet", 18mb/s and unlimited DL(700ko/s to 2Mo/s) and UL(150ko/s to 300ko/s), after calculus, I can hosts at least 200 players, and because DB is not on my computer, 2 players who are not on the same server can play together.

I profit to ask spira a question: will you create a FRENCH DB and a ENGLISH DB ? how it is gonna work ?

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2010
where is the map editor? i have never done anything like it but would love to give it a shot to help out. i have often thought of this but never knew how or even if it was possible.

Lén1

Eternity Staff
Years
Not released yet. Still in beta version ... wait few days ^^

------------------------------------------------

Hey hey hey !!! Here's the rain !

tomorrow, snow !

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
I hope I didn't step out of bounds, but around a week ago I created the Unofficial Pokemon Eternity Facebook group and I am pleased to announce that we have 68 members patiently awaiting for this game :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back