• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
I've never read a post-apocalyptic fairytale. I'm writing a post-apocalyptic story, but I've never seen one that is also a fairytale. XD;

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
Years
Like Terry Brook's Shannara series.

I mean "fairytale" not as in "Once upon a time there lived a..." but in a "magic and elves" sense.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I remember my history of English prof saying that the English language is always changing, and that change is inevitable... That is, the good, and the bad (however deemed of course). I suppose this would seem obvious to a lot of us, but we do get used to the "English" we were taught... And sometimes we don't like change... Just imagine... If internet speak (ie. i lyk ur m8; or some other obscurity), was acceptable down the road? In fact, about half a year ago some English Professor in England proposed the use of phonetically spelled words, as also being correct word spellings. It's king of like saying 'manajer' is also acceptable to the word 'manager' or 'clumzee' to 'clumsy'. Okay, bad examples, but you get the idea. In a better comparison, think of the King Jame's Bible, or any work of Shakespeare, then compare it with modern English... Just think of what 500 years from now, would do to the language. XD

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Good:
Shatterpoint

Mace Windu = winnnnn.

La Pompa said:
Hard Contact

Just finished that one, not too bad but not the best book I've ever read.

The Dark Horse Clone Wars graphic novels are also spectacular. Especially Best Blades in volume five.

Like Terry Brook's Shannara series.

I mean "fairytale" not as in "Once upon a time there lived a..." but in a "magic and elves" sense.

The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara series inspired the Eon Chronicles. Can't say much more than that.

Mika

もえじゃないも
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 11, 2013
Do you have villainous teams in your stories? If you do, do they happen to have sub-bosses (or commanders/minibosses/whatever)? Bonus points if they're more than two or three characters and/or are together all the time.

I copied the following from my guide. xD; This is one of my biggest pet peeves of all times in Roleplaying or in Pokemon Fan Fiction in general.

A note. If you're going to use canon teams, make sure you know the canon down cold and make sure that the timeframe fits the canon you're using. Honestly, using Team Aqua and Magma past 3rd Gen is going to be difficult seeing as they saw the errors of their ways after the chaos of the orbs. In Gen 4, at Stark Mountain, Team Galactic is disbanded so it can't just reappear. If you want to pull something out of your backside, at least follow the example of Gen 2 from Gen 1 and make the bad guys a group of half baked puppies who want to gain master's attention. If you break canon by saying "TEAM MAGMA IS UP TO NO GOOD AGAIN >8C" when your story takes place after the events in generation 3, you're not doing yourself any favors.

Personally I have to use Team Rocket if I use anything that takes place after the Game cannon. XD; Honestly, it's the only Team that's still potentially put together if we're talking post-game and all that jazz. I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine because most of what I write fanfiction wise involves cannon evil baddies but I'll stop reading a fic if they abuse a cannon team by making it un cannon or heaven HELP THEM if they fuse teams. A note on that:

According to the Canon, whatever brand you prefer, there is no way in hell these teams would ever fuse. Ever. Not in a million years. I know, you want to use bits and pieces from all of them, but sorry, you just can't. >:C Their leadership teams, styles of evil baddary and over all goals in their individual quests on world domination do not coincide and cannot coincide. Sorry, it just isn't supossed to happen. Ever.

XD; ...so yeah. Probably a bit too tl;dr but I really do feel strongly about it.

And a random tidbit that's a hair off topic but requires mentioning because the FFL is so awesome:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Now, does anyone else here enjoy post-apocalyptic fairytales?
I'm writing one. Celtic mythology as a base, set during WWI and the faeries' personal apocalypse.

The comic I'm talking about is the Dark Empire series. Movies 7-9, if they had been filmed, as stated by George Lucas himself. They're badass.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
@Mika: I think it still is possible to go beyond game canon with the teams if you do it plausibly. It probably couldn't be done with the same leaders, but a group of hardliners from within the Team could still re-emerge and form a new Team Magma or Team Aqua, for example. But I agree in general. :>

txteclipse

The Last
Years
XD; but thanks guys for being so nice to me and making me come out of my RPing shell and muck around with FF again, even if you've never spoken to me, you've made an impact on mwe~ :3

Quite welcome, madame. And your injection of Bill will be appreciated especially by one particular member, I imagine.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Lol... I have no self control it would seem, perhaps I should just read in front of the computer, taking periodical (read plenty) breaks to respond. As I should be reading some Presocratics for my metaphysics class. XD

I tend to just go in the 'off-scene' direction in a Canon fic, where I might pic a point in their journey from the anime and say they decided to go in this direction first, and had x event happen to them.

Here's a question for you guys (not bold mind you): Should I keep up with a comical-like Team Rocket, like the anime, in my fic? They won't have a big role in the fic, and it might help with a comical attitude, considering how dark the fic may get too. Thoughts?

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Do you have villainous teams in your stories? If you do, do they happen to have sub-bosses (or commanders/minibosses/whatever)? Bonus points if they're more than two or three characters and/or are together all the time.
TEAM GALACTIC FTW! And it's AU, pre-game, so no need to worry on that count, Mika.

I've read one good Star Wars work, and it was a comic.
>:C How darest thou? All you're doing here is exactly what Jax has been chewing you out over for about a page. If you've only read one Star Wars work, you have an excuse, but it sounds like you're blanket-dissing without evidence again. I'm gonna regret getting messed up in this :s

Mika

もえじゃないも
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 11, 2013
@Mika: I think it still is possible to go beyond game canon with the teams if you do it plausibly. It probably couldn't be done with the same leaders, but a group of hardliners from within the Team could still re-emerge and form a new Team Magma or Team Aqua, for example. But I agree in general. :>

I disagree. XD;

I look at it this way:

Team Rocket will never get Pikachu but they'll make you an offer you cannot refuse

Magma and Aqua will never be able to see eye to eye on whether or not sand or water is more important at the beach

Team Galactic uses switchblades as their primary source of negotiation.

They're just so radically... so different that mixing is just not plausible. XD;

I mean, if you look at how badly Archie and Maxie were destroyed in Gen 3, it's just not plausible, in my opinion, for any sort of person within the group to try and make it rise up again. It kinda seemed to me like the sort of thing that the region wouldn't ever be keen on and I can't see a whole ton of members really sticking with the group. XD;

Again, it could MAYBE work but I've never seen any evidence of it without it seeming like Gen 2 with the name of 'Team Magma' slapped on it.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
@Mika: I fully agree on the mixing issue, unless you were to put the story far ahead in the future, of which conciliation does happen and goals do change over time, although that would be stretching it. For example, a fic set hundreds of years in the future could have a completely different Team Aqua, one that simply looks out for conserving the marine environment. Magma could be the same for the environment on land. They could have put their violent pasts behind them and risen up as peaceful groups. In that sense, an alliance of sorts is entirely plausible, although, as you know, it requires massive changes.

As for the rising up of hardliners, it is entirely possible. You'd probably have to go out of canon and reference a Magma/Aqua commander who wasn't included in the games, as none of them seem to have the kind of charisma or motivation to start a new group. But, it's not a large stretch of the imagination to imagine that there were other commanders/admins other than the ones who weren't referenced. :P

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
>:C How darest thou? All you're doing here is exactly what Jax has been chewing you out over for about a page. If you've only read one Star Wars work, you have an excuse, but it sounds like you're blanket-dissing without evidence again. I'm gonna regret getting messed up in this :s
I said I read one good Star Wars work, not one work entirely. (And Valentine hasn't really been eating me out on anything except sounding like an ass, which, admittedly I am) I'm sure there's more out there, but lets face it: Kevin J. Anderson wrote books under the Star Wars name. The man is a hack that has never offered anything to the literary community other than someone to make fun of.

Please understand that I'm not saying the movies can't be enjoyed. On the contrary, I'm a second generation Star Wars fan due to my father and love the original trilogy. But do I consider them art? Definitely not.

Caliban

Years
I'm writing one. Celtic mythology as a base, set during WWI and the faeries' personal apocalypse.

The comic I'm talking about is the Dark Empire series. Movies 7-9, if they had been filmed, as stated by George Lucas himself. They're badass.

Any comic Post-Thrawn is awesome. As is Thrawn.

Yes, the Dark Horse Clone Wars comics are pwnsome.

And my friend's dad draws torture scenes for one of the newer series! <3

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Any comic Post-Thrawn is awesome. As is Thrawn.

Yes, the Dark Horse Clone Wars comics are pwnsome.

And my friend's dad draws torture scenes for one of the newer series! <3
I'm confused why you're quoting me, BUT, George Lucas went on a date with my dad's secretary once. (Or my dad went on a date with GL's secretary, can't recall)

Caliban

Years
I said I read one good Star Wars work, not one work entirely. (And Valentine hasn't really been eating me out on anything except sounding like an ass, which, admittedly I am) I'm sure there's more out there, but lets face it: Kevin J. Anderson wrote books under the Star Wars name. The man is a hack that has never offered anything to the literary community other than someone to make fun of.

Please understand that I'm not saying the movies can't be enjoyed. On the contrary, I'm a second generation Star Wars fan due to my father and love the original trilogy. But do I consider them art? Definitely not.

Whut? Whut? Whut?

Isaac Asimov > Orson Scott Card ≥ Karen Traviss > Michael A. Stackpole > Kevin J. Anderson > George Lucas > ... ? Not sure.

But Kevin J. Anderson has written some good books.

You could stop bashing Sci-Fi authors...
But that would be no fun. ;)

EDIT:
I'm confused why you're quoting me, BUT, George Lucas went on a date with my dad's secretary once. (Or my dad went on a date with GL's secretary, can't recall)

I'm pretty sure that Dark Empire is Post-Thrawn...

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Okay, time for a mini experiment, let's see who can answer this question properly (without myself giving too much away, just yet, in terms of meaningful relationships :P)

Why do you like Pokemon? (not meant to be a bold topic, just for it to stand out, I'll attempt to look at each response, in that way, it also helps me with my class teachings :P XD)

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Whut? Whut? Whut?

Isaac Asimov > Orson Scott Card ≥ Karen Traviss > Michael A. Stackpole > Kevin J. Anderson > George Lucas > ... ? Not sure.

But Kevin J. Anderson has written some good books.

You could stop bashing Sci-Fi authors...

I'm confused why you're quoting me, BUT, George Lucas went on a date with my dad's secretary once. (Or my dad went on a date with GL's secretary, can't recall) I'm pretty sure that Dark Empire is Post-Thrawn...
But that would be no fun. ;)
Kevin J. Anderson is a hack. He's an absolute joke. His works in the Star Wars EU were so horrid that his successor spent the first entire half of his book retconning what he'd written. Not to mention KJA's "Sun Crusher".

He's also hated by the Star Craft community (who like video games for god's sake). He basically just read the game manuals and copied, word-for-word, the descriptions of the races and technology into the narrative.

And most atrociously, Dune. I can't even begin to get into the blasphemy he's done with this series... But I suppose the fact that he contradicted something written down in the first book, on the first page, in the first paragraph, and in the first sentence, should let you know just how bad this guy is.

(I also have qualms with OSC, if anyone's interested)

Well no idea who "Thrawn" is, so my confusion is evident.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years

I'm not saying you're blanket-dissing Star Wars, period, but the books. You say, then, that you have read more than one. Which authors did you read? Admittedly, some are crap, but there are really good Star Wars books out there. I haven't read a majority of them, so all I'll say is that I've liked most of the ones I have read. Have you read any by Karen Traviss, Drew Karpyshyn? and Kevin J. Anderson is tha man. Ever read the Saga of Seven Suns?

PS: You get cookies if you can tell where the guy in my new avatar comes from, and cake if you can name him.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I'm not saying you're blanket-dissing Star Wars, period, but the books. You say, then, that you have read more than one. Which authors did you read? Admittedly, some are crap, but there are really good Star Wars books out there. I haven't read a majority of them, so all I'll say is that I've liked most of the ones I have read. Have you read any by Karen Traviss, Drew Karpyshyn? and Kevin J. Anderson is tha man. Ever read the Saga of Seven Suns?

PS: You get cookies if you can tell where the guy in my new avatar comes from, and cake if you can name him.
I'm not saying the books are totally bad either, but I've been forced to pass most of them up because they simply didn't interest me. The whole Star Wars concept bores me, though the writing on a few of the writers is probably good. I don't know.

The Saga of the Seven Suns has received nothing but bad reviews. It's rife full of plot holes, one-dimensional characters, plot-lines introduced and discarded within paragraphs, and just plain bad writing. Plus it was seven books for no good reason other than to match up with the "seven suns" bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back