• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: [Alpha] (MEH) Map Editor of Happiness

pokenar

Lunatic Red Eyes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2022
Very nice to see this, it looks like AM, but a bit... cleaner? so it looks like it won't be like switching from Elite Map to AM was, in terms of relearning how to do things. I do have one question though, I know this is an alpha and we were warned not to use this for hacking, but right now when I save my rom with 1.92, the rom can't be opened in GBAPGE (I'm thinking this may be due to it being a 32MB hack I'm customizing) What I'm wondering is which is less destructive of the rom at this moment, 1.95 of AM or this?

Edit: since it probably matters, I'm mostly just changing wild encounters, what BGM plays, and the names of the maps.

Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Very nice to see this, it looks like AM, but a bit... cleaner? so it looks like it won't be like switching from Elite Map to AM was, in terms of relearning how to do things. I do have one question though, I know this is an alpha and we were warned not to use this for hacking, but right now when I save my rom with 1.92, the rom can't be opened in GBAPGE (I'm thinking this may be due to it being a 32MB hack I'm customizing) What I'm wondering is which is less destructive of the rom at this moment, 1.95 of AM or this?

Edit: since it probably matters, I'm mostly just changing wild encounters, what BGM plays, and the names of the maps.

Currently MEH is a lot less destructive than A-Map. The man problem with A-Map what that it would make writes and reads directly to the file, making all of your edits written in realtime to the ROM file. However, with MEH the rom is buffered into the RAM and worked on from there, making edits much more safe and only occuring when you excplicitly tell MEH to save. As for the features needed, currently it can only edit Wild Encounters. I'll add support to edit the map music soon as well as the map renaming but as of now it's not implemented.

pokenar

Lunatic Red Eyes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2022
Currently MEH is a lot less destructive than A-Map. The man problem with A-Map what that it would make writes and reads directly to the file, making all of your edits written in realtime to the ROM file. However, with MEH the rom is buffered into the RAM and worked on from there, making edits much more safe and only occuring when you excplicitly tell MEH to save. As for the features needed, currently it can only edit Wild Encounters. I'll add support to edit the map music soon as well as the map renaming but as of now it's not implemented.

Alright, so I downloaded MEH so I could at least work on wild encounters for now, but whenever I try to open a rom with the program(tried both with the extended hack I was working with and the original unpatched FR rom), it doesn't show any of the maps, and the wild editor still has the placeholder text. Is the front page link not updated or were those screenshots shown not publicly released yet?

Shiny Quagsire

Years
Alright, so I downloaded MEH so I could at least work on wild encounters for now, but whenever I try to open a rom with the program(tried both with the extended hack I was working with and the original unpatched FR rom), it doesn't show any of the maps, and the wild editor still has the placeholder text. Is the front page link not updated or were those screenshots shown not publicly released yet?

Oh they're publicly released, the changes are on my GitHub. It's just that my buildbot was acting up and packaging everything wrong so that it got stuck on a particular build. It should be fixed now so give it a whirl. Also let me know if there's any bugs, because I'm sure there's plenty somewhere.

pokenar

Lunatic Red Eyes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2022
Oh they're publicly released, the changes are on my GitHub. It's just that my buildbot was acting up and packaging everything wrong so that it got stuck on a particular build. It should be fixed now so give it a whirl. Also let me know if there's any bugs, because I'm sure there's plenty somewhere.

Alright, now the wild encounter tab seems to work fine, but the roms still do not open properly for me.
Here is a screenshot of what I'm looking at incase I'm just dumb and not clicking the right thing: http://imgur.com/GCV35jb
That was taken with the clean FR test, the extended test loaded in 0.0ms according to it. I`m using a vista OS, 32 bit, Java is 7 update 25 (build 1.7.0_25-b17)

Last edited:

Smeargle

Illusory
Years
I thought this day would never come... I replacement for A-map!
Good luck with this project, I have wanted to toss A-map for well.. ever sense Its first crash.

However, When you get around to block editing please add a way to import and export color palettes please.
Oh and when adding Pokemon encounters could you please implement a search feature so we don't have to scroll through all 300+ pokemon

Last edited:
Years
¡Hey! This Looks rly nice! I want the full version now :3 ¡Haha!

If you guys need someone to translate it to spanish, i can do that job :P

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Alright, now the wild encounter tab seems to work fine, but the roms still do not open properly for me.
Here is a screenshot of what I'm looking at incase I'm just dumb and not clicking the right thing:
GCV35jb.png

That was taken with the clean FR test, the extended test loaded in 0.0ms according to it. I`m using a vista OS, 32 bit, Java is 7 update 25 (build 1.7.0_25-b17)

You're supposed to double click the bank thing.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
I'm having a similar problem to what pokenar is having. It opens my clean control FireRed ROM just fine, but when I tried to run my completed hack ROM, it wouldn't load. Is the tool supposed to work with hacks in progress. I feel like it's supposed to. I really like this tool and feel it has a lot of potential, I just wish I could test it properly.

Shiny Quagsire

Years
I'm having a similar problem to what pokenar is having. It opens my clean control FireRed ROM just fine, but when I tried to run my completed hack ROM, it wouldn't load. Is the tool supposed to work with hacks in progress. I feel like it's supposed to. I really like this tool and feel it has a lot of potential, I just wish I could test it properly.

Hm, it should work. During early development I've opened up other's ROM Hacks (Liquid Crystal, Pokemon Rose, DarkViolet) to make sure it would work and all of them open up just fine. Try redownloading and make sure you extract the entire MEH folder and run it from there. If it can't find the MEH.ini file it'll cause similar effects to what you're describing. I just tested it on my Windows 7 computer (which has recently went through a fresh install) and it works just fine. Also, if you added maps this may or may not cause issues (I haven't actually tried it on a ROM that has a different number of maps/banks).

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
Kinda lowers my self-esteem how somebody my age can pull off something so amazing. Let's hope you get around to completing this tool, and not die halfway through or something. LOL. I look forward to when we you have implemented the Block Editor. AdvanceMap is such a pain on that field.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Here is a screenshot of what I'm looking at incase I'm just dumb and not clicking the right thing: http://imgur.com/GCV35jb
The exact same thing is happening to me, trying to open a clean firered ROM. Using Windows 7 64 bit, with the latest Java update. :/

pokenar

Lunatic Red Eyes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2022
Kinda lowers my self-esteem how somebody my age can pull off something so amazing. Let's hope you get around to completing this tool, and not die halfway through or something. LOL. I look forward to when we you have implemented the Block Editor. AdvanceMap is such a pain on that field.
Your self esteem is lowered? I'm 2 years older, think about how I feel.

Hm, it should work. During early development I've opened up other's ROM Hacks (Liquid Crystal, Pokemon Rose, DarkViolet) to make sure it would work and all of them open up just fine. Try redownloading and make sure you extract the entire MEH folder and run it from there. If it can't find the MEH.ini file it'll cause similar effects to what you're describing. I just tested it on my Windows 7 computer (which has recently went through a fresh install) and it works just fine. Also, if you added maps this may or may not cause issues (I haven't actually tried it on a ROM that has a different number of maps/banks).
If the clean rom worked I'd be willing to believe it really was the hack.
To be specific, I'm using a hack called "Touhou Puppet Play 1.8 Enhanced." This specific one adds Johto while keeping the sevii islands, so it may have extra map data.
And, as for the extraction portion, I copy all files out of the compressed folder while its open with my extraction program and paste them into another folder, since the default download location for my browser leads to a folder that causes my computer to try and self destruct. should I be using the extract command to remove the files?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jun 9, 2014
Woah, this map editor makes A-Map look like a pencil compared to a super computer.

Dragonflye

Author of Pokémon Sovereign of the Skies
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I'm waiting for that thing sooo long, then I will continue my project directly, the wait will be worth it. ;) Best Mapping Tool.^^

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Spoiler:

This is all I get no matter what ROM I try to load. Loading banks in 0 seconds is impressive but it doesn't seem to be able to do anything with them :P

Last edited:
Back