• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
No, just keep chucking 'balls at it. If you have Heavy Balls or the ball that gets better as time goes on /forgot, then use those instead. They have better catch rates generally.

Guy

just a guy
Years

Bulbapedia's Magby Article if I were to breed it with a chimchar does the chimchar need to *know* thunderpunch in order to pass it on? Or a result of the pairing will bestow the egg with thunderpunch regardless if either knows it?
If you're trying to pass over Thunder Punch to Chimchar, then you'll need to make sure Magby is a male that know Thunder Punch and Chimchar is a female. Once you have this, then you just breed the two and the hatched egg will come out with a Chimchar that knows Thunder Punch.

If you're trying to breed the two so Magby can know Thunder Punch, then you'll need to make sure Chimchar is a male that knows the move, and Magby is a female. Like said, if this is so, then you just breed the two and the hatched egg will by a Magby that knows Thunder Punch.

Which island do I enter at to get to Lugia (Whirl Islands)?
Lugia is located in the Northeast Island, and it'll be found at the bottom of the Whirl Islands.

Hey is there somebody in heartgold that tells you what your pokemon's hidden power is? That would be nice for when I try to get a zapdos.
In Celadon City, there's a guy who tells you your Pokémon's Hidden Power type where you redeem your coins.

Is exeggcute catchable in soul silver? I've checked and people list locations but then under rarity there are question marks or "none" - making me skeptical.
Yes, Exeggcute is actually obtainable in both versions. Serebii says none, but the list of locations next to that is where you can find it. Quick Link to show you the locations again.

k so i have lugia at like 0 hp basically, cant even see lugias health, shes asleep, and accuracy is lowered to the max

and no pokeball im tryin catches her.

already wasted 40 ultras, 5 greats, and like 10 pokeballs

any other tricks?
Nothing more you can do than just keep trying your luck at it. Hopefully you saved before confronting Lugia so you can try again if you fail the first few times. Good luck. ;)
Oh, and trying the different pokéballs like suggested above.

Toxicroak

Mustard
Years
i want to soft reset for a shiny suicune, if i do end up doing this how would i go about it.

does it choose if it is shiny the moment i start the game or can i soft reset at the point where im able to battle it.

because when you chase it over jotoh and kanto you can see its overworld sprite and its normal, does this mean even if i SR it will always be normal?

same thing applies to entei and raikou

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I'm pretty sure soft-resetting it will change its status as shiny or not shiny; the overworld might be irelevant.

That's what I read, anyway.

Question:

Can I battle DS-to-DS without using WiFi? I want to see the IVs of my Eevee on HGSS, and if necessary trade it to Pearl to boost its level to 100. Is it possible?

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
Years
Can I battle DS-to-DS without using WiFi? I want to see the IVs of my Eevee on HGSS, and if necessary trade it to Pearl to boost its level to 100. Is it possible?
Sure, if you have two DS' available to use and another Pokémon game (HG/SS or DPPt), then you can do DS-to-DS battles through Wireless Connection - upstairs the PokéCenter.

Guy

just a guy
Years
but I think the ds to ds battles don't boost levels to level 100, so that's not really a good way.
Just about to mention that actually. D: Wireless Connection doesn't give you the option to adjust your levels. So, you may need to request a quick battle in the Battle Stadium - Quick Battle Thread to check your Eevee at LV. 100 through Wi-Fi, if you're interested in calculating its EVs.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
My dad lost his router password and there's no WEP key on the router itself (it's in the admin pannel on the browser, yet, no password, remember?) so I can't go on WiFi for the moment -.-;;;

Thanks though :)

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
Years
Where is the name rater/changer located at?

I accidentally spelled my starter's name wrong, it was supposed to be the Latin word for "to light on fire" which is "ignire", but I spelled it "Ignirus". >_<

Soy

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2010
What are your thoughts on Slowpoke?
Worth raising?
And what about Stantler and Magmar, while you're at it? =/

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I believe Shadow Ball is when you deliver that Spearow from Goldenrod to the guy over by... uh, Violet City.

Also, Stantler is crud for competition play. Magmar is all right. Slowbro is nice, too.

Star Girl

Dragon Obsessed
Years
I believe Shadow Ball is when you deliver that Spearow from Goldenrod to the guy over by... uh, Violet City.

Also, Stantler is crud for competition play. Magmar is all right. Slowbro is nice, too.

All ready did that side quest that is the rest tm.

Another question is there any other way than talking to your Pokemon to check its happiness. I feel like my Eevee should be either a) evolving or b) so close that it is annoying. But everytime I take it out from the Pokewalker and train it up it still doesn't evolve.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
No wonder my Eevee wanted to evolve at 21 lol I did 5000 steps with it on the PokeWalker, and it was egg hatched.

The lady in Goldenrod City in the house about the Bike Shop can tell your happiness for you. Aside from that, you can't know.

I just read on Shadow Ball; Morty gives it to you.

Star Girl

Dragon Obsessed
Years
No wonder my Eevee wanted to evolve at 21 lol I did 5000 steps with it on the PokeWalker, and it was egg hatched.

The lady in Goldenrod City in the house about the Bike Shop can tell your happiness for you. Aside from that, you can't know.

I just read on Shadow Ball; Morty gives it to you.

Thanks for both answers! Looks like its another trip to Goldenrod for me!

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
Years
Does anyone know if it's possible to encounter a shiny with the pokewalker? I mean, obviously you wouldn't know until you see it's real sprite, but I'm just wondering.

Winson

Legendary Pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2013
Is there any information that I would need to know before getting these games? Like is there anything different gonna happen depending how I start? (Like which fossils you get in Pokemon Platinum depending on your Trainer ID)

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Yes, you can get shinies on the PokeWalker. I saw someone else do it lol

and Winson, not really, no. ID and such doesn't really determine anything in-game.

Back