• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

droomph

weeb
Years
Ah well, that makes a bit more sense.

So, basically, by using #dynamic 0x800000 it starts with searching a free space to put in the script?
Yes. It looks at 0x800000 and checks if it corresponds to the "free" value (usually 0xFF). If there is enough free bytes in a row, it will overwrite those bytes to compile the script.

It is also smart, and instead of having to look at offsets (e.g. 0x809293) you will only need to match up logical labels (e.g. @hellomsg, @subtract) and it makes life a loooooot easier.

Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
I replaced Castform's sprites using the Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor, and now I'm having an issue--the alternate forms are completely black. Looks like something happened in regards to their palettes, and I'm not sure what to do to make them use their original palettes.

For reference, I didn't alter their palettes at all--the new sprites share the old palette, which fits perfectly. But I don't know what to do to make the alternate forms use their old palettes again.

Any chance someone could run me through some steps to fix this?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2012
look for a tool called poke edit or something like that

Thanks for the reply...but I downloaded the program you're talking about and it only does the same as what I originally was working with...edit the stats/type...not the evolutions. If you were to use PokemonAmplifier, it lets you do that plus the level they evolve...that's the kind of thing I'm looking for it if exists.

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
Thanks for the reply...but I downloaded the program you're talking about and it only does the same as what I originally was working with...edit the stats/type...not the evolutions. If you were to use PokemonAmplifier, it lets you do that plus the level they evolve...that's the kind of thing I'm looking for it if exists.
Try YAPE. It is very useful. I could highly recommend PGE's Pokemon editor if YAPE is not good enough.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
My ROM stopped working in Amap after I installed DNS, it works on 1.92, but when I try to load it in 1.95, it says "Cannot read bytes behind end of file. How can I fix this?

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
How (if possible) do I create new moves in Pokemon Fire Red without replacing any current ones?

Years
Where can I find a program that allows me to edit the pokemon of trainers in Fire Red?

I have not learned scripting for the trainer's pokemon if it exists. A link to a tutorial or tips on how to do that would be welcome.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I replaced Castform's sprites using the Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor, and now I'm having an issue--the alternate forms are completely black. Looks like something happened in regards to their palettes, and I'm not sure what to do to make them use their original palettes.

For reference, I didn't alter their palettes at all--the new sprites share the old palette, which fits perfectly. But I don't know what to do to make the alternate forms use their old palettes again.

Any chance someone could run me through some steps to fix this?

Did you check all the sprites in APSE for Castform? You never know, the pallate may be the problem.

My ROM stopped working in Amap after I installed DNS, it works on 1.92, but when I try to load it in 1.95, it says "Cannot read bytes behind end of file. How can I fix this?
The way it sounds is as if the Rom has been slightly expanded, e.g. no longer 16 MB, but maybe something like 16.1 MB or something. You can check by opening it in a hex editor; the file should stop at 0xFFFFFF

Where can I find a program that allows me to edit the pokemon of trainers in Fire Red?

I have not learned scripting for the trainer's pokemon if it exists. A link to a tutorial or tips on how to do that would be welcome.

There is a tool called Advance Trainer, which allows you to edit pretty much anything about the trainers. As for scripting a trainer, use the following format:

trainerbattle [type of battle] [trainer number in A-trainer] 0x0 @challengetext @textwhendefeated.

The last two commands vary depending on the type of battle. 0x0 uses the two shown above. 0x1 is for gym or rival battles, uses an additional command after text when defeated, the pointer to what should happen after a battle. 0x4 is for double battles, and uses a different command after textwhendefeated, which would be what the trainer says if you only have one Pokemon. There are others, but for the sake of time, those three should be fine.

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2022
Hey, is there any simple way I can just change the overworld player sprite to say, Gary or Lance? I'm not trying to edit the sprites, just make the player some other character already in the game, so I don't want to go into Overworld Editor and change pixel by pixel. Thanks

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023

Were I you I'd put the desired sprite into another location in ROM and then repoint the Castform's sprite location.

Well I've already done that--the problem is, I think I need to repoint the extra palettes for the alternate forms, and I'm not sure how to do that.

redriders180

Years
Well I've already done that--the problem is, I think I need to repoint the extra palettes for the alternate forms, and I'm not sure how to do that.

Complete edit: I was wrong earlier, each forme does have a different pallate. I think the best way to locate them is to battle each different forme of Castform in VBA, and open up the Pallate window. Find the colors of Castform (they should be lined up in a row), and search for that string of colors in Advanced Pallate Editor. This should let you find what you need.

FINAL EDIT: The pallates for Castform's formes are like the ones for any shiny; the game just substitutes the pallate color for color. Make sure you take that into account when indexing the sprites.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
Complete edit: I was wrong earlier, each forme does have a different pallate. I think the best way to locate them is to battle each different forme of Castform in VBA, and open up the Pallate window. Find the colors of Castform (they should be lined up in a row), and search for that string of colors in Advanced Pallate Editor. This should let you find what you need.

FINAL EDIT: The pallates for Castform's formes are like the ones for any shiny; the game just substitutes the pallate color for color. Make sure you take that into account when indexing the sprites.

It's fine, my sprites use the original palette perfectly... when they work, at least.

So, I've found the 'address' of each color's value in the palette... but, how do I find the hex location for these exactly?

I've included a screenshot.

redriders180

Years
It's fine, my sprites use the original palette perfectly... when they work, at least.

So, I've found the 'address' of each color's value in the palette... but, how do I find the hex location for these exactly?

I've included a screenshot.

The "address" isn't really all that helpful. When you click on each color, it will tell you the hex value of the color. in that picture, the one you have selected is 0x4B18. Take a note of all the colors after that (there's 16), and use the search feature on Advance Palate Editor to look for the colors by typing in each value. Hitting search should bring up the offset of the palate. I'm pretty sure the palate is compressed, however. If I've explained it wrong, there's a tutorial somewhere around here that describes how to find a pallate.

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
is Yomama's Pokemon Gold and Crystal Gym Leader Editor the only gym leader editor for the II games? I can't seem to find anything else.

edit: ok, I found some others, but one is in german without any translation anywhere, and the other does not work for me. any other english Gym leader hackers?

Last edited:

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
is Yomama's Pokemon Gold and Crystal Gym Leader Editor the only gym leader editor for the II games? I can't seem to find anything else.

edit: ok, I found some others, but one is in german without any translation anywhere, and the other does not work for me. any other english Gym leader hackers?
With game-specific table file and a hex editor you can do much more than any normal trainer editor is capable of.
There ought to be some trainer editing tutorials for GSC in Tutorials section here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back