• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Johto starters!

Which Johto starter did you use?

• Chikorita

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • Totodile

Votes: 21 34.4%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 12, 2015
I alvays picked Chikorita. It had most appealing look and I really like this pokemon.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
For SS I used Totodile on my first run. I wanted to use Chikorita but I used it when playing Pokémon Silver so I thought I'd go with the fierce Feraligatr instead.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
I chose Chikorita because I'm usually loyal to Grass-type starters. Unfortunately, the Johto starters were by far my least favorite starter trio, but I always found it cool how all three of them were pure Grass/Fire/Water instead of being dual-types.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
It's a tie between Totodile and Cyndaquil. Totodile can come in handy with Crunch and Ice Fang, while Cyndaquil's Eruption isn't bad either.~

véronique

Shiroshipping, FTW!
Years
I know this may sound crazy, even especially since I was (and am) such a fan of the Johto region, that I knew that I was starting with a disadvantage when it came to the gyms, but I love my Chikorita. I love how it looks (well, up until it evolves into Meganium, but it's not fugly either) and it was also my starter when I first played Gold and Crystal. While I want a couple of boxes of my favourite Pokémon that I've specially bred for breeding, I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't want to use a Meganium as much as possible. :)

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
It may be a bit obvious because of my avatar, but Totodile. Why do I like it?

I was playing my first HG, during mid-2010. I was deciding between the 3, but I eventually went with the gator-no readon, it was random. Since I was really young when playing, I didn't know how to switch out and so I used my Totodile for basically everything. He soon grew into the powerful Feraligatr and soon destroy all.

Here the thing- these guys have the coverage for DAYS. Secondly, here's something I realised Feraligatr has that most starters lack: fairly balanced stats. Of course it's not too balanced, but there's just something for all his stats. He's fast, hits hard, and has the bulk to take a hit. So yeah.

And about the other 2, they are....eh. I started off liking them all, but now Totodile is literally the only one of the 3 that I like. Taking its disadvantage out of the way, Meganium has actually alright stats; fast and decent defences, but it has a bland appearance and a limited movepool. Cyndaquil has a much better movepool, but I am a bit of a mixed bag; let me get you started with my 2 nuzrun Quilavas. The bad Quilava was Flamous from my SS run. Thanks to his nature, he hit like feathers, and was basically fast and thats it. He pulled the team down and as a result I felt no sorrow for his death. But I used a Quilava again, but this time was in my Black egg run. He was very useful and easily redeemed the line for me. Maybe if I continued that run or evolved him into Typhlosion, I would like the line again.

In a honesty though, I pretty much love Totodile too much to pass him up. I will always pick him as long as he is available, no matter what.

Years
I chose Cyndaquil when I first played Gold and also when I very first played HG.
I love Cyndaquil and Totodile equally but what let Feraligatr down slightly in Gold was that he couldn't learn Waterfall, so I had to catch another Water-type just to get me through Tohjo falls.

I played once with Chikorita and never again.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
Years
Well, I have to say. I'm not a fan of the Johto starters .... I don't like them to much (sry guys :c) Anyway, on the most of my SS playthroughs I picked Totodile because I love water-types, and I found him more interesting than the other 2!

Years
I always chose Chikorita in the originals, both for my first run and when I had to restart due to...technical issues. Now, if I hadn't fallen in absolute love with Cyndaquil's line since then, I would have chosen Chikorita when I started Heart Gold.

But, because of that, I did choose Cyndaquil. :D Although Chikorita was a close second, I think I might have had to take a moment to decide for certain because of that. I chose Cyndaquil first time I played HG (although that particular Cyndaquil, now a Quilava, somehow resides in my Platinum game), I chose Cyndaquil the second time I started playing. I will probably keep on picking Cyndaquil until I decide I want a break and go for Chikorita for once.

The Johto starters are honestly my favorite bunch of all the starters. Well, mostly. I'm ambivalent about Totodile. I never plan on using one myself since ehhh not a fan, but I don't mind it being in this group and I guess design-wise it is a bit cute. The other two, though? Much love for them.

Years
I love Cyndaquil and Totodile equally but what let Feraligatr down slightly in Gold was that he couldn't learn Waterfall, so I had to catch another Water-type just to get me through Tohjo falls.

Apparently Feraligatr can actually learn Waterfall. You just need to teach it via the HM that's all.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Cyndaquil, all the way.

cyndaquil.gif
quilava.gif
typhlosion.gif

I love Totodile and Chikorita too, but Cyndaquil will always have a special place in my heart.

Usuru

ウスル☆
Years
  • Seen Jun 3, 2017
Chikorita! It's such a cute Grass-type!♥ I really like the Johto starters a lot, they have some of the best designs and awesome in battle!!

Back