• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Spiky's DS Map Editor (NOW OPEN-SOURCE)

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
I have taken all your suggestions and bug reports into account and I'm working on a new version. The features it will include are:

• Faster matrix editor (now it loads instantly).
  • New saving method for move permissions. There will be a "Save Current" button instead of an automatic save feature (some people complained it was slow).
  • Event and flag editors.
  • Partial HeartGold and SoulSilver support.
  • Fixed read/write operations (shouldn't give an error at startup anymore).
I hope you'll like it when it is released. Thanks for your support! :)

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
I have taken all your suggestions and bug reports into account and I'm working on a new version. The features it will include are:

• Faster matrix editor (now it loads instantly).
  • New saving method for move permissions. There will be a "Save Current" button instead of an automatic save feature (some people complained it was slow).
  • Event and flag editors.
  • Partial HeartGold and SoulSilver support.
  • Fixed read/write operations (shouldn't give an error at startup anymore).
I hope you'll like it when it is released. Thanks for your support! :)

Ahhh, yesss! I'll wait for this so I can use it!

And btw what do you mean about partial support for HGSS? Just maps?

Oh, and goodluck with this!

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Nice to see that the saving/opening bugs are fixed. Can't wait for the update.

Edit: Having fun with movement permissions:
im2QR.png
oPg19.png

Just remember, in version 1.0 of the Japanese Pokémon Diamond or Pearl Versions, there is a surf movement permission in the Elite Four rooms. lol

Those images remind me of that error that was made back in the days. xD

Platinum Lucario

Years
While searching through my downloaded tools, I actually managed to find the source code for NSBMD. It will prove useful for adjusting the tool to fit with the map editor. Might even be able to make adjustments to being able to view the beta textures.

If anyone needs the source code of NSBMD, I will indeed give it out to anyone who wants it.

Platinum Lucario

Years
I actually extracted most of the data of what I think might be the terrain model in Black/White, 'cause I think the map ends with the movement permissions data. But I'm not exactly sure. I tried putting it onto NSBMD.exe to test it out, it didn't work. The Window came up and disappeared. So I'm not even sure I did it correctly

If it's in C#, I'd love to see it.

Sadly, it's in C++. D:

I've gotta say... most tools that I know of are developed in C++, I don't see too many in C#.

Last edited:

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
This is amazing. I didn't see anywhere you can actually edit the map besides just buildings and some movement permissions.

If you ever get around to making every aspect of the map editable (like A-Map), I swear I'll make an entire game based around you.

droomph

weeb
Years
are you gonna be able to fully edit maps like in a-map??

you won't be able to at the moment but they're working on it! :3

It's a lot more complex from Advance Gen's mapping system so don't expect it to be fully editable for at least quite a while.

Meanwhile, if you read up on the file structure, you can do some minor edits, but only by hand.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
i know you cant do it yet. But im wondering if you gonna be able to fully map route so we can make a r/s/e remake

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
i know you cant do it yet. But im wondering if you gonna be able to fully map route so we can make a r/s/e remake

Editing map models (trees, water, grass, etc) is possible. However, as Gen IV started making maps in full 3D, not 2D tiles, editing is harder and it would require a 3D modeller to be made from scratch. That's very hard, and it would always be inferior to modelling software like Maya, 3ds max or Sketchup.

So the best thing we can do is either use Nintendo plugins and expensive software like 3ds max, or make plugins for a free modeller like Blender or Sketchup. Making a brand-new editor is a waste of time.

In case someone is interested in making new maps with the current version of the tool, you'll need Maya 6/3ds max 8, Nintendo plugins (I can't give you links because it's like liking a rom) and a tool to convert from nsbmd to obj (MKDS Course Modifier or nsbmdtool). The procedure would be:

1. Extract the nsbmd section of the map you want to edit.
  2. Convert the model to obj.
  3. Open and edit the model in a 3D software.
  4. Export it with Nintendo plugins.
  5. Convert the file to nsbmd with a tool included with the plugins.
  6. Import the nsbmd to the map.
That's it. It sounds easy, but some steps are impossible to do legally unless you're super rich.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Im not good at computer so for me it´s gonna be impossible to do that.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Could someone experiencing the save error post here the full report? I'm trying to fix it but I can't find the exact command that fails.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Matrix saving has been already fixed. I had made a stupid error in the saving path command. :P

I have been working on an event editor, and it now works 100%. It supports Add/Edit/Remove, and uses an interface similar to the building editor (except for the visual map).

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2014
An event editor, eh? Looking forward to see what that can do. By the way, how's the HGSS support going?

I also have a question about the 3D mapping (with 3DS Max and such) process. I have converted the .nsbmd files of some HGSS maps by using Spiky's Map Converter (not this tool, but the one released before), and I want to convert them to .obj so 3DS Max can open them, but nsbmdtool will not open it, let alone convert it (it will open DPP maps, but without textures and I have no idea how to convert them). MKDS Course Modifier won't do the job for me either. This is what I get:

C\Users\(Username)>nsbmd.exe nbt.nsbmd (this is the New Bark Town map)
glhi: GLHijacker starting up...
glhi: will load c:/winnt/system32/opengl32.dll on first OpenGL/WGL call.
DEBUG: file size = 000040dc <16604>.
DEBUG: file is not BMD0.

If anyone could help me, I'd be delighted.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
:\

That's a start, if you don't appreciate this tool, create your own map editor ;)

What... I said it was great. Although I did word it badly. I meant: "This is amazing. I didn't see anywhere where you actually do any map editing besides buildings yet, though." This is a great start, but full-on editing is what I really want.

Back