• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen OR/AS Chit Chat + CoroCoro Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
In looking at the pattern of facts, I can make a very plausible argument that there would NOT be a Hoenn remake in the near future. There isn't any need for one.

They made the Gen 1 remakes because:

(1) In addition to Pokemon Emerald, it was the only way you could complete the national Pokedex in Gen 3 because Ruby and Sapphire had a considerable lack of Kanto and Johto Pokemon and you could not trade between the GBA and GB/GBC.

(2) Third Gen came out a time where the Poke-boom of the late 90's and early 2000's had ended and there was an immediate backlash against the franchise (as you would usually get with popular fads that have recently faded). Nintendo and Gamefreak were looking to re- kindle interest in the franchise by going back to its roots.

Similarly, they made the Gen 2 remakes because:

(1) The Nintendo DSi and all other DS systems that followed were not compatible with the GBA games and Gamefreak needed to find a way to help fans complete the Natonal Dex.

(2) They had already remade the Gen 1 games and it would only make sense they remake its sequels, which constitute Gen 2 games.

As for remakes of the Hoenn games:

(1) The 9 main Pokemon games that are compatible with the Nintendo DS (along with Pokemon X and Y) make it possible for players to complete the National Dex, thus rendering the need for R/S/E remakes void.

(2) A lot of people on here tend to remember Hoenn fondly because R/S/E was your first Pokemon game. I get that. However, it is nowhere near as nostalgic as the first 2 Generations in the minds of the general public so that it would not be logical to even try and do Gen 3 remakes. On the point of doing it to garner public interest, Pokemon X and Y seem to successfully be doing this on their own.

I must admit, however, that I would love to revisit Kanto, but not in the context of a Gen 1 remake. I'd really like to see a Game based on the Kanto War and what the region was like before Red's Journey.

Years
In looking at the pattern of facts, I can make a very plausible argument that there would NOT be a Hoenn remake in the near future. There isn't any need for one.

They made the Gen 1 remakes because:

(1) In addition to Pokemon Emerald, it was the only way you could complete the national Pokedex in Gen 3 because Ruby and Sapphire had a considerable lack of Kanto and Johto Pokemon and you could not trade between the GBA and GB/GBC.

(2) Third Gen came out a time where the Poke-boom of the late 90's and early 2000's had ended and there was an immediate backlash against the franchise (as you would usually get with popular fads that have recently faded). Nintendo and Gamefreak were looking to re- kindle interest in the franchise by going back to its roots.

Similarly, they made the Gen 2 remakes because:

(1) The Nintendo DSi and all other DS systems that followed were not compatible with the GBA games and Gamefreak needed to find a way to help fans complete the Natonal Dex.

(2) They had already remade the Gen 1 games and it would only make sense they remake its sequels, which constitute Gen 2 games.

As for remakes of the Hoenn games:

(1) The 9 main Pokemon games that are compatible with the Nintendo DS (along with Pokemon X and Y) make it possible for players to complete the National Dex, thus rendering the need for R/S/E remakes void.

(2) A lot of people on here tend to remember Hoenn fondly because R/S/E was your first Pokemon game. I get that. However, it is nowhere near as nostalgic as the first 2 Generations in the minds of the general public so that it would not be logical to even try and do Gen 3 remakes. On the point of doing it to garner public interest, Pokemon X and Y seem to successfully be doing this on their own.

I must admit, however, that I would love to revisit Kanto, but not in the context of a Gen 1 remake. I'd really like to see a Game based on the Kanto War and what the region was like before Red's Journey.

There is also the issue of the timeline since the events of R/S/E take place around the same time as R/B/Y so remaking the games would probably be a bit confusing. That being said I would like to see Hoenn in the next game, not as a remake, but as a sequel of sorts set long after the events of R/S/E. And as long as I get to see Flannery again I'll be happy.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
RSE are the best games, they deserve a remake(preferably without the 3 regions of new pokemon)

27thColt

The Collector
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
Being the guy that entered Pokemon during the transition of Generation 3 to Generation 4, and also being that guy that owned a DS (I'm a little young), I would like a Hoenn remake. I never really like the generation before mine simply because I didn't start with it and the merchandise they made for it (books and what not) kinda sucked. I would still like to have those games. Sure it wasn't the best ride for older gamers, but Game Freaks audience is really for around 10 yrs of age. They kept Ash 10 years old for the younger kids, why not make it so that every kid gets to enjoy what they didn't?

Oh yeah, when they made those Gen 1 and Gen 2 remakes well they also remade the timeline. So that Gen 1 goes alongside Gen 3 and Gen 2 goes along Gen 4. So if you remake Gen 3, does this mean that Gen 6 could possible happen at the same time as Gen 1 and Gen 3. If Game Freak kept making more games, then it is possible that by the time you reach Gen 9/10, you'll have multiple Generations/Games' timelines happening at once?

franko94

Master Trainer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2013
I think the whole compatibility thing was a very thinly veiled excuse for making money on a previously released game. Let's face it, there were other ways to include the Kanto and Johto pokemon without remaking Red/Blue/Yellow. The reason they went with Fire Red and Leaf Green is because it is significantly cheaper to do it. They don't need to design new pokemon, a new region, write a new story, create new characters, write (too much) new dialogue, compose new music, and do other essential jobs to make a new game because it was all done already. That's why Heart Gold and Soul Silver were made, it was a cheap way to make a ton of money. It is also the reason there is a third version of the game every generation (B2/W2 count). It is cheaper to make than a whole new game.

For that reason, and that reason alone, I see Hoenn Remakes or Kanto Remakes coming out in 2015. They aren't going to disrupt the release of the Gen VI main series (X2/Y2/Z) to release Hoenn unless there is a massive rewrite to the story.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 18, 2016
Yes. Like above said, it's not a question "if", but "when". Hoenn remake in 2015 is not ruled out of question.

One thing that's interesting though is the fact that Hoenn is one of the largest regions out there. And many wants to see "A second region". If there will be an Hoenn remake with the addition of an extra region, then what other region will they use?

Think about it.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
… I consider Gen III to be "my generation." I still play it to this day ….

Me, too! Though I kind of lump Generation IV in with it, too, since Diamond was the first Pokémon game that I bought with my own money…

…Realistically though, I think a remake of Kanto is more realistic for this Generation. …

Maybe both will happen this generation? I mean, references to both Kanto and Hoenn have been made in X and Y, haven't they?

Now that would be quite interesting!

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
If they were to remake Kanto again I say add pre-gen 2 Johto into it, it'll be fun to see it in a different time like we did with Kanto in Gen 2 and their remakes.

Now back on topic. I expect remakes around 2015 or late 2014 (maybe holiday season).
Though...this new game they're announcing could be a remake of Yellow...or a side game...but two games in the same year was done back in Gen III in japan with FrLg and Emerald. If so I'll say 2015 for Hoenn remakes (10th anniversary of Emerald internationally).

Speaking of remakes...next year is the 10th anniversary of the first pair of remakes...and Emerald...maybe we'll get an event like we did with RS' anniversary last year...only this time internationally...

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
Years
If they remake Hoenn, how would they do it? Unlike the other games, Emerald is DRASTICALLY different than the games it's based off of, I can see them adding the other team in the after game, but that would screw up the main story since there is actually a conclusion.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
If they remake Hoenn, how would they do it? Unlike the other games, Emerald is DRASTICALLY different than the games it's based off of, I can see them adding the other team in the after game, but that would screw up the main story since there is actually a conclusion.
I think the story will likely follow Emerald's. I do see them changing the story line near the end with Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza. They'll proably have us get Rayquaza from Sky Pillar to stop the two legends. Though after Rayquaza and the opposite version's mascot leave, our version mascot legendary could stay back...and begin causing earthquakes or flooding the island with waves, with Rayquaza not having fully calmed it down. Thus we'll need to get a new item like how the Bird duo had in Johto to calm our mascot down...or simply battle them. Perhaps it could even be a timed battle...like we have four turns to defeat it/catch it if not we lose...
It can be done.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I'd guess they'll make two versions: MagmaRuby and AquaSapphire or something like that. And keep the stories with the respective teams from those versions, rather than adopting Emerald's merged version. Still, I'd hope that the features and places implemented in Emerald would stay, as well as all the new functions in the Kalos games.

If they would create these remakes, the best way to go would be to first way a year or so and release Pokémon Z version, and then spend at least 2 years developing these Hoenn remakes. I think if they released the remakes before Pokémon Z, people wouldn't be as interested in that version, unless it had drastically new features or extra areas and new pokémon.

EDIT: what a fun coincidence that the poster above me happens to be named what I suggested as the version names :P I of course knew that I wasn't the first to think of those obvious names.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
While you guys are heating on in the discussion, I'd like to point out that no 3rd version game has ever been remade. Honestly, the main reason the games were remade at all was because the 2nd Gen and below are kind of cut off after Hoenn came in with a bazooka and blew off the old picture. I mean to say, easy trade access, etc. couldn't quite possibly be constructed after the new sort of IV/EV system in the works.

Concurring to what Adventure said, releasing Hoenn remakes before Z will outright ruin Z's picture. I believe FRLG almost did that with Emerald. That's why HGSS became scheduled after Pt.

If Hoenn is remade, I suppose nobody would mind much of it anyway because they'd probably have all their Hoenn Pokémon in already. Of course, it would be a good way to facilitate all new 6th Gen features.

tbh I'm quite neutral to if it will be made or not, but I so badly want it. I know an older thread that pinpointed that Kalos was making many references to Hoenn so I'm sure GameFreak wants us to know they haven't forgotten the idea.

I'm still clinging to that guy in Camphrier Hotel as evidence for a Hoenn Remake. "My region is awesome, etc. You'll see it in due time." Not a direct quote obviously, but I have actually encountered this backpacker in-game. I hadn't seen the review before this, and personally I think this is solid evidece for a remake, hopefully Hoenn.

They've definitely revealed that we will visit another region, most likely in this generation of Pokémon, and it seems very unlikely that they'd bring a brand new region into the main series games in the same generation as Kalos.

It's worth noting that he also says "We have this town that you wouldn't believe..." Which is interesting. I don't think we'll ever know which town he meant, but Hoenn is a very diverse region and has some very interesting towns. Sootopolis, for instance, built inside a dormant volcano; Fortree City, which is pretty much a forest with a town suspended above it. It's certainly interesting.

As for why Hoenn, it's the earliest region in Pokémon history that hasn't been remade already. It's close to a lot of fans' hearts, and when you look at what a great job Game Freak is doing on that level already, with Gen 1 starters and Pokémon Origins, I think it's save to say they know what they're doing. Add to that the fact that a lot of fans would buy these games. People go nuts over a new Pokémon game even when it isn't a remake. Imagine that, plus the anticipation that's building for these games (this thread stands as proof), and it'd almost like what would happen if Valve announced Half-Life 3. And people would buy it. In masses!

Wow, that was a long reply. Congrats if you got to here :)

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
If they were to remake Kanto again I say add pre-gen 2 Johto into it, it'll be fun to see it in a different time like we did with Kanto in Gen 2 and their remakes.

I wouldn't mind seeing how GameFreak could add the Orange Islands into a Kanto remake as well, especially since they did so well with the Sevii Islands (man, I miss those…why didn't they put them in HeartGold and SoulSilver, anyway?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back