• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Who is your favourite Sinnoh Gym Leader?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Without taking into account which ones get my motor running and just being based off their cool factor I'd have to say Crasher Wake and Candice. Their gyms are great and their Pokemon are even better. Platinum only for Candice tho.

Voltner, Byron, and Crasher get it for appearance tho. Yas dad(s)!

My uttermost favourite Sinnoh gym leader however is definitely Queen Fantina! Her design is just perfection; she's elegant and ghost types have always been a personal favourite of mine (more specifically Mismagius). Plus her anime counterpart is hilarious. AND her gym designs are fun and quirky in both games.

Years
For me, it'd be a toss-up between Gardenia and Voltner.

I liked Gardenia's scaredy-cat attitude towards the Haunted Mansion, and yet I feel like she's not such a doll as a lot of other (Grass-type) female trainers are. looking at you, Erika. That made Gardenia stand out to me. And here Roserade was quite the challenge for my Prinplup, which I sadly couldn't say of some other gym leaders.

Voltner has that really cool I don't give a damn-attitude. He's just there to battle you, and I felt a bit daunted when I first got to him (though the ensuing battle might have been a bit of a let down, IIRC).

Years
I don't personally rate any of them, I think they were the worst bunch, but if I HAD to pick, it'd probably be Fantina. Probably the most interesting one.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Candice is both my favourite Sinnoh leader and favourite Ice-type leader. I just don't like the rest, but she's quite adorable, I love her personality and Pokemon of choice, even though I absolutely hate the Ice-type.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 6, 2016
I like Candice the best. I really like Ice Type Pokemon, and she had the really awesome team in Pokemon Black/White 2 at the Pokemon World Tournament. She had Mamoswine, Glaceon, Glalie, Froslass, Abomasnow, and Weavile. She was also the toughest character due to her stupid snow cloak. Also I know it sounds a little odd, but one of my favourite things about her design is those colourful lite-blue and white striped socks. They really match her personality, and it's just a nice design choice.

Special shoutout to Gardenia for being the only cool grass type gym leader, (who also has a starter pokemon) and special shoutout to Crasher Wake for finding the rival in D/P annoying. (I can relate buddy)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
It's a tie between Candice and Gardenia.

Candice as her hair reminds me of a Mega Lopunny and she got a remarkable personality that sets her different from other Ice-type experts.

Gardenia is also a favorite, she's beautiful and her fear for certain type of Pokémon makes her lovely.

Honorable mention goes to Roark and Maylene.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
I haven't really thought about it all that much, because none of them struck me as having an intriguing personality, but I think I'm gonna say ... Crasher Wake and Byron.

Hot dads, am I right?

They seem to be the most fearsome personas for me. For the record though, Canadace's design is incredibly cute and well-done - so if we're talking from an artistic point of view, Candace.​

Years
You know, I've just been reminded how much I like the Sinnoh Gym Leaders. They all managed to have some proper sense of personality - well, for the most part anyway. Roark was established as a little bit of a noob when it's revealed that Byron is his father, and Gardenia doesn't have too much going on other than the fact that she's frightened by the mansion in Eterna Forest.

The rest are cool! It's hard to decide on a favourite, but chances are I'd go with Volkner, for his design and his backstory. In the first three generations, the 8th (and final) Gym leader was always pretty fearsome, very confident and pretty unnerving. Volkner certainly looks awesome, but he's totally bored and fed up, it's literally like he's half asleep until he perks up after you beat him.
I also really like the Gym design, and the design of Sunyshore City, which probably add to why I like Volkner the best. One small complaint would be his team in DP. Thankfully Platinum's expanded regional dex fixed his team and made him a truly awesome Electric Gym leader, as well as adding the multi-battle with him and Flint in front of the Battle Frontier. Props to Game Freak for making an awesome thematic double battle: both trainers have dogs (Manectric, Houndoom), Eeveelutions (Jolteon and Flareon) and have the appropriate counterparts (Electivire, Magmortar). It was pretty cool, probably cooler than the pairing up of Claire and Lance in HGSS, which was still awesome but awkwardly proportioned. Even if that made sense to the story. But I digress, a lot.

Years
Byron and Crasher Wake.

Both because they had my favourite gyms in Sinnoh. In addition I just liked Byron's personality and find him the most intriguing. Plus, he's gym leader of one of my favourite places in Sinnoh. I also quite like Crasher Wake because of his wrestler appearance and I like wrestling :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I thought this was a pretty boring mix

I thought Candice was kinda different from your typical ice gym leader so I kinda liked her. Volkner had some story to him and was vaguely interesting so I'm partial to him.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Honestly, I thought this was a weak batch of leaders. If I had to pick a favorite, it'd be Volkner, even though I don't like his pseudo-deepness and such. But I ship him with Jasmine, my favorite gym leader, so... v__v It's a good reason to like him, right?

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Candice for breaking that ice-cold trainer stereotype and having so much energy. Her outfit, gym, and city are amazingly beautiful~

Back