• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What other languages do you speak?

bradenm

Wheelie say find friends today
Years
Aside from English, I was wondering what other languages others know here? Maybe English is your second language and you normally speak another one at home? Maybe you've been learning a new language lately?

I recently began trying to learn Malay, which is spoken in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand (minority) and also in Indonesia, where its known as Indonesian (with some differences, my Malay friends can understand them despite that tho).

So yeah... Any Bilingual / Multilingual pokefans out there? :P

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I was born in Ukraine (well, back then it was part of the USSR) , and moved to France when I was eleven. Thanks to this, besides English, I'm also fluent in French, Russian and Ukrainian.

Also, a little bit of Spanish.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
My main language is English, but I know some Latin and Japanese from taking classes and using Rosetta Stone. I hope to be fluent in both one day, although the Japanese is more plausible since it isn't a dead language like Latin. Poor Latin :c

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
My first language is Dutch. Second language is English. (I live in the Netherlands).
And at school I'm learning French and German.

Crux

Evermore
Years
English, Japanese, French, and a little bit of Spanish, Latin, and Cantonese Chinese.

I can carry on a conversation in English quite easily, and a broken conversation in Japanese and French.
Eventually i'll become fluent in each, and intend to do so too with Latin, Cantonese Chinese, and Russian.
With the latter being the only that i've yet to begin studying.

Also on the list of languages I intend to learn would be;
German, Itallian, Korean, Spanish (sooner or later i'll have to I guess), Mandarin Chinese, and Polish. I'd love to be able to learn Norse, but unfortunately that probably won't happen for a while if ever. But hey, you never know.

Last edited:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
• I Speak: both English and Spanish, fluent.

My grandma and mother are from Mexico, so at home we speak (my family members) Spanish. Thanks to living in the USA, my younger brothers/sister, my uncle, my mom, and I speak English too.

My grandma doesn't speak English at all, so in many locations I'm her interpreter, and proud of that.

• Other languages:
I want to learn Japanese and Korean.

In Japanese I already memorized Hiragana and majority of Katakana (some Kata looks the same I sometimes forget and confuse with others). I already learned to read, speak, and write about 10% of Kanji.

For Korean, I'm still memorizing the Hangul alphabet, and learning some basic phrases for now.

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
My main language is English and it's the only language I'm fluent in though I know some Spanish phrases cause I had a class of it my junior year of high school. I also know some Japanese words and phrases from watching a lot of anime and cause I've been trying to teach my self Japanese. I hope to be fluent in at least Japanese eventually.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I'm Chinese although I was born in Australia so my first language was English and I can speak it fluently! I used to be fluent in Mandarin as well although I rarely speak it nowadays, so most of my knowledge about it has faded away, haha. I can understand basic phrases of Cantonese and can speak some. When I'm older I really want to learn Japanese and French. n__n

Avishka

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
My mother tongue is Hindi i know Sanskrit because of school but i don't speak sanskrit.

bradenm

Wheelie say find friends today
Years
I'm Chinese although I was born in Australia so my first language was English and I can speak it fluently! I used to be fluent in Mandarin as well although I rarely speak it nowadays, so most of my knowledge about it has faded away, haha. I can understand basic phrases of Cantonese and can speak some. When I'm older I really want to learn Japanese and French. n__n

One of my closest mates is Chinese Australian born :) first time
I heard her speak Cantonese with her parents I was so confused! Did not even know she could speak it! I'm probably taking classes in Mandarin next year at University. It will help me with my business bachelor :)

Seems a lot of people are keen to learn Japanese too! Heard it takes roughly 22,000 hours to become fluent for an adult english speaker.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
My first language is English and trying learn Swedish because half my family are Swedish and it would be easier to talk to them. also Dragontopian

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I'm from the Philippines, so my primary language is Filipino. Aside from that, I speak English, obviously, Spanish, one sentence in German, and I took a French class for one month so I guess you can say I speak a little bit of French, too, although I haven't learned a lot from that class because the tutor was irritating. :x

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I speak a bit of German. I took it for six years in school but I don't remember a lot of it. :C

Back