• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Black 2 hack: Pokémon Kanto/Sevii Islands NDS Rom Base

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I haven't been updating the project lately and it seems I don't have the motive to continue it. I did make a lot of promises to try and never give up even after finding the knowledge of mapping. But sad to say I will be discontinuing this project and aim my studies towards the future of of Rom Hacking. Eventually many of you who has been in this community for so long will discover that there are many things you can do with the right tools. I also won't be leaving Pokecommunity; I stay in touch with it's future instead.

"Who knows I might have a new project in the near future and this Pokemon Black 2 project will go into one of my unfinished collections of rom hacking projects."

And you never know, I may contribute to your project in the future and make it into something that will encourage more Generation V hacks to start coming up. After all, I may have been absent on model editing, but anyone who absolutely loves creating models will be able to edit it. Also, you're more than welcome to document anything new you may have found in the game's functions, 'cause it certainly will help others!

KJGungeon

Rom-hacker, & Researcher
Years
I'm Back! Also I've learned how to create even more crazy maps with Google Sketchup! Read the thread and get ready because I'm trying to at least finish something this time around.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 16, 2017
I'm Back! Also I've learned how to create even more crazy maps with Google Sketchup! Read the thread and get ready because I'm trying to at least finish something this time around.

That's pretty cool! Can't wait for updates on this!

KJGungeon

Rom-hacker, & Researcher
Years

Updating Scripts and setting stuff up so I can roll out a demo soon. Anything in this video is just a gameplay test. Movements aren't setup yet but let me know what you all think of the HD Textures. So far usng the Humilau City textures on creating them new islands and project seems to be going smoothly.

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Hmm something that just came to mind to me. What to do about the mechanics involving the dream world? Sure B2/W2 had a few pokemon with hidden abilities without any issue but there wasn't very much variety. When the time comes I would reccomend adding more hidden grottos with a wider variety of pokemon appearing to allow for those rare hidden ability users. Especially for starters with their hidden abilities, or have in game events where getting like-a snivy with contrary-after accomplishing a story event or sidequest.

Sure this kind of stuff might not be important now since you're still doing maps but this was something I wanted to toss out there.

Also Hidden Power needs to work like it does as of X/Y with a fixed base power of 60. It gets tiresome trying to get the right hiddenpower and end up getting the right type but a base of 31 or 47 for a given pokemon no matter how well you manage to chain breed.

KJGungeon

Rom-hacker, & Researcher
Years
Hmm something that just came to mind to me. What to do about the mechanics involving the dream world? Sure B2/W2 had a few pokemon with hidden abilities without any issue but there wasn't very much variety. When the time comes I would reccomend adding more hidden grottos with a wider variety of pokemon appearing to allow for those rare hidden ability users. Especially for starters with their hidden abilities, or have in game events where getting like-a snivy with contrary-after accomplishing a story event or sidequest.

Definetly will keep that in mind. Adding grotto's to different areas seems nice too I'll see what I can come up with. (Island Paradise lol)

Might add Pokemon with hidden ability that can be given away in game to players. Maybe set up a poll in the future. But for now inserting map is top priority since even perfect maps can't be imported unless you find out what's wrong.

If the rom can handle these trees everywhere then there is hope for awesome trees around the region.

Also Thread is updated so check it out :)

Last edited:

KJGungeon

Rom-hacker, & Researcher
Years

Just another map testing video. This is the island outside and behind it will be a forest which is currently in the proccess of being imported into the game. There will be 3 main area on this island the village, the forest, and the waterfall cave.

Stair textures are glitched wll be fixed and animations are not set yet for them tiles.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Very nice. You seem to really be getting better at making these maps, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

KJGungeon

Rom-hacker, & Researcher
Years
Very nice. You seem to really be getting better at making these maps, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Yeah I'm trying my best at it so everyone will love the work I put into it.

the work making trees look more 3D is pretty impressive.

I definitely got the hang of it now and see what needs to be done.

Thanks guys!

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
yeah no fault to gamefreak of course but their trees still looked like static sprites back then. Then again they were built off the original DS, and the 3DS had only just launched at the time those games were released, they wouldn't have been able to set up better visuals than what was already seen in the 4th gen. But they did great with what they could accomplish.

I just wish the pokemon global link still used the dream world mechanic...I really liked that.

Moving on considering this is the orange islands, are you going to replicate the way the gyms were more or less athletic events than normal gym battles (for the first two gyms anyway)? I thin working off the Pokethlon mini games might be a good way to replicate the target shooting/surf race of the first gym but the second gym would be hard to replicate the ice beam sled race challenge. Not sure what would work there.

On the case of the first gym, I can see a modified version of the jump challenge where instead of jumping, clicking on the flying discs would trigger your pokemon to use water gun to smash them out of the air. Then for the surf race it'd be like the hurdle race but in the water. But thats just me, I dunno if it'd be possible to pull this off.

KJGungeon

Rom-hacker, & Researcher
Years
yeah no fault to gamefreak of course but their trees still looked like static sprites back then. Then again they were built off the original DS, and the 3DS had only just launched at the time those games were released, they wouldn't have been able to set up better visuals than what was already seen in the 4th gen. But they did great with what they could accomplish.

I just wish the pokemon global link still used the dream world mechanic...I really liked that.

Moving on considering this is the orange islands, are you going to replicate the way the gyms were more or less athletic events than normal gym battles (for the first two gyms anyway)? I thin working off the Pokethlon mini games might be a good way to replicate the target shooting/surf race of the first gym but the second gym would be hard to replicate the ice beam sled race challenge. Not sure what would work there.

On the case of the first gym, I can see a modified version of the jump challenge where instead of jumping, clicking on the flying discs would trigger your pokemon to use water gun to smash them out of the air. Then for the surf race it'd be like the hurdle race but in the water. But thats just me, I dunno if it'd be possible to pull this off.

I haven't had much time progressing enough to reach the gym events yet but i'll keep a look out for it.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
yeah and even if you cant pull it off in the end I figured I'd toss it out just in case. It was what made the orange islands particularly unique after all. It also introduced the concept of double battles long before the third generation if we look at the final gym in the circuit as well, there was a lot of cool stuff in the orange island saga.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
Nooo, if this game continue ti be developed It Will be Amazing. Hope to see a First beta

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I've noticed in some of the proof-of-concept (PoC) videos of both ROM Bases for Black Version 2, the collision detection seems to be not exactly working properly. I'm gonna do some research into this and see what seems to be the case. It could either be that Generation V games use a completely different type of collision detection than Generation IV.

From what I've heard, Generation IV uses the same type of block-based collision detection as Generation III does (often referred to as Movement Permissions). Most 3D games use polygon-based collision detection, where the triangles act as either a wall or a moveable area, depending on the byte(s) allocated to it (eg. Super Mario 64 and OOT/MM). I'm gonna do some research and see if this is the case with the Generation V games. If this is the case, there should be two of each (BMD0) models of the map that are near-identical to each other. This would also mean that I'll have to post my findings in the research section too, so it can be of use for any developer to develop a better map editor.

Last edited:
Back