• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script Help Thread (DO NOT REQUEST SCRIPTS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

forestw785

I divide by 0.
Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2010
Okay, I set up a trainerbattle script with two characters so far. One works perfectly fine, no problems.

The other, however, I have problems with. I chose 0x05A as the first battle's trainer ID, and 0x05B as the second, and I know I compiled them separately (redone a few times), but no matter how much I do it, the second trainer still shows up with the same text and battle as the first one.

The first one is a female and the second is a male battle. I can easily tell the difference from the sprites.

I ended up changing the trainder ID to 0x05E to test that out, and the second trainer STILL was fighting as the first. I even deleted and remade the sprite 3 times. No dice. Anything specific I should change? Maybe I have the wrong trainerbattle 0x0? Before yesterday it had been about 2 or 3 months since I last scripted, so I'm a little rusty.

Spoiler:

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 5, 2010
Alright, I've spent the last few days trying to make this work, but I'm really stumped!

Basically, I want to change the begining of Sapphire so that a girl in the village gives a Lv. 5 Pikachu, and you don't get to choose from the three normal starters. However, I can not make the girl give me the pokemon.

I'm using Advance Map and XSE. Here is the coding I'm using:

Spoiler:

But something very odd seems to be happening. I compile and then save the script, I exit the program and I save in Advance Map. I try the game, nothing happens. The girl just makes a beep! sound and nothing happens.

When I re-open the script, this is there instead:

Spoiler:

Is that meant to happen...!?

Please help!

forestw785

I divide by 0.
Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2010
Alright, I've spent the last few days trying to make this work, but I'm really stumped!

Basically, I want to change the begining of Sapphire so that a girl in the village gives a Lv. 5 Pikachu, and you don't get to choose from the three normal starters. However, I can not make the girl give me the pokemon.

I'm using Advance Map and XSE. Here is the coding I'm using:

But something very odd seems to be happening. I compile and then save the script, I exit the program and I save in Advance Map. I try the game, nothing happens. The girl just makes a beep! sound and nothing happens.

The way you were scripting was a little too complex for what you were trying to accomplish.

Try this:
Spoiler:

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 5, 2010
I put it in, compiled, saved, saved Advance Map, started up the rom and again, it made the same beeping noise, but this time I got a strange error with As and Es running across the screen where the text should be.

I quitted the rom, opened the script and found this again:

Spoiler:

It doesn't seem to be saving the codes properly, does anyone know why?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 6, 2012
I have a script and I can fight the pokemon and such but after I defeat it or catch it it reappears and I do it again. I'm hacking a firered rom.

Spoiler:

forestw785

I divide by 0.
Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2010
I put it in, compiled, saved, saved Advance Map, started up the rom and again, it made the same beeping noise, but this time I got a strange error with As and Es running across the screen where the text should be.

I quitted the rom, opened the script and found this again:

Spoiler:

It doesn't seem to be saving the codes properly, does anyone know why?

hmm works fine for me.

Try deleting that sprite and creating a new one, and then recompiling that script. Sometimes A-Map creates glitched sprites.

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 5, 2010
Ahh, no, that didn't work either.

This time a whole lot of strange symbols ran across the screen.

And again, when I open the script once more I get:

Spoiler:

instead of the code I put in.

forestw785

I divide by 0.
Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2010
Ahh, no, that didn't work either.

This time a whole lot of strange symbols ran across the screen.

And again, when I open the script once more I get:

Spoiler:

instead of the code I put in.

Your copy of xse might be outdated and not recognize some newer variables that hackmew might have put in to replace the #raws, so try seeing if you have the latest version, and even if so, try redownloading XSE from his site. Your copy might have gotten corrupted.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Why does this script activate every time the map is entered when reopening the game

Spoiler:

Script activates once, re-entering the map does nothing. However if I save and exit, then reload the game the script activates again (except the sprite that was hidden stays hidden).

Level Script data:
Flag: 8006 Value: 0000

It is the only level script on that map.

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 5, 2010
I deleted XSE, redownloaded the file from the main link on HackMew's thread in the toolbox, started up advance map, popped in the code, compiled, saved, started a new game in Sapphire and it all happened again. The lady beep!ed but didn't give me the pikachu.

Again, I open the script and I just get the offset followed by 'nop'.

I can't work out what's going wrong!

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I deleted XSE, redownloaded the file from the main link on HackMew's thread in the toolbox, started up advance map, popped in the code, compiled, saved, started a new game in Sapphire and it all happened again. The lady beep!ed but didn't give me the pikachu.

Again, I open the script and I just get the offset followed by 'nop'.

I can't work out what's going wrong!

Change the Dynamic offset to 0x800000

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 5, 2010
Just did, compiled, saved log, saved .rbc file, saved Ad.Map, reloaded ROM, same thing. Lady goes beep!, nothing happens and when I check the script I get the offset again and 'nop'.

I also just want to thank you all for your help so far, it's been really reassuring to have people offer advice! Thank you!

Last edited:

forestw785

I divide by 0.
Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2010
Just did, compiled, saved log, saved .rbc file, saved Ad.Map, reloaded ROM, same thing. Lady goes beep!, nothing happens and when I check the script I get the offset again and 'nop'.

I also just want to thank you all for your help so far, it's been really reassuring to have people offer advice! Thank you!

Anytime :)

If you don't mind, though, would you post a screenshot of your sprite and the settings you have on the right hand side where the offset is?

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 5, 2010
Not a problem at all.

You just have to take out the spaces:

http ://i83. photobucket .com /albums / j301 / flagondra135 / Fail.png

forestw785

I divide by 0.
Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2010
You didn't have to do that spacing. They don't block images here as far as I know.

and that's strange it's not working. You could try doing that same script on a ruby rom, because I know most people use Ruby or Firered, so there is better support for them. They aren't really much different, but there might be something key between the roms that is messing with you.

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 5, 2010
I needed 15 posts to link to another website, and unfortunately I didn't have them yet :3.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm trying to get said Pikachu before my starter pokemon (hence the setflag). I'm just wondering if that could be the problem?

I'm going to try it on Ruby in a few. It's annoying, because I continued to edit Sapphire visually and otherwise.

The weird thing is that I can create new signposts and stuff, and that all works fine! It just seems to be this particular script...!

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 5, 2010
I used the offset that Advance Map gave me at the bottom of it's program when I hovered my mouse over the sprite of the woman I wanted to use.

I have FSF too, should I use an offset from that? (I'm being noobish and assuming you mean the #0xXXXXXX and not #dynamic 0xXXXXXX)

Buizark

Always looking for an OU match
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 5, 2016
I used the offset that Advance Map gave me at the bottom of it's program when I hovered my mouse over the sprite of the woman I wanted to use.

I have FSF too, should I use an offset from that? (I'm being noobish and assuming you mean the #0xXXXXXX and not #dynamic 0xXXXXXX)
Use the FSF offset
In the beginning of the script just put
#dynamic 0xinsert offset here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back